What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I so need to clean up my bench! It’s a disaster with the jeep project! The whole shop is. Winter is coming and I’ll put off the biggest part of that job for cold weather. Pullets are laying a variety of pretty eggs now and the lone duck lays an egg most days.

View attachment 117643
Did you know if you store them point down, they store longer?
Love the colors.

Survived the doc. As suspected, sinus infection. I got to see up my schnozola - gross!
I now get an antibiotic, 2 nasal sprays, 1 nasal flush, antibiotics, and steroids.
I'm pretty sure I'll look like a female Arny here in about a month 😂
At least you'll feel better!!

@squirrelhunter, I hope the winch will work.
@Magus, I hope your day starts going better
@LadyLocust, I hope you can get the sinus infection cleared up quickly. My dad had one so bad it ate through his sinus cavity and almost got to his brain. They had to chisel out parts of the bones in his cheeks to drain the infection out. I think that was back in the 70s or 80s though so they probably have different techniques now.

Woke up with bad acid reflux and ran out of antacids. Drank a little pepto, made myself belch, and drank some water. It did seem to help a little.

I'm about to go to the post office.

I'm on the hunt for some good ol' black salve. My grandma always had a little jar of this stuff that was made by a local country doctor back in the 1960s. That stuff was kind of nasty, but put it on for 48 hours and any splinter or sliver in your skin would pop right out. Even when her jar was 50 years old, it worked like a charm.

So, last week I got a metal sliver in my palm at the base of my right index finger. I thought I got the sliver out right away, but apparently a little bit was still in there and now there's a tiny painful lump. It's deep enough I don't want to cut it unless it's a last resort. Anybody got any recommendations for a drawing salve that actually works?

Busy.......busy, lol. I went through my BOB, IFAK(stop the bleed) and my tourniquets and splint kit. I still have a few things to hunt down and add. Tomorrow it will be carbine day, I plan to completely strip 2 of them down, clean, inspect and lube. This will be a good chance to educate my youngest on the finer workings of an AR. I will also clean and inspect my sidearm and it's drop leg holster. Going through all batteries for weapons mounted lights and optics.
Wish I was at home to do most of the same. We'll lay low tomorrow and hope Saturday is quite

Wish I was at home to do most of the same. We'll lay low tomorrow and hope Saturday is quite

I needed to do this, I'm still working on getting back into everything since my medical malfunction back in April, it's been a long trek. I had pretty much forgotten how I had my BOB and IFAK set up, and after today I need to make changes. I decided to wait on rifle maintenance until tomorrow because I'm not 100 % confident I can re-assemble it, lol, I know how but my hands still disagree with me at times. At least if the kid is here she can put it back together.

Busy.......busy, lol. I went through my BOB, IFAK(stop the bleed) and my tourniquets and splint kit. I still have a few things to hunt down and add. Tomorrow it will be carbine day, I plan to completely strip 2 of them down, clean, inspect and lube. This will be a good chance to educate my youngest on the finer workings of an AR. I will also clean and inspect my sidearm and it's drop leg holster. Going through all batteries for weapons mounted lights and optics.
I always forget the batteries :(

I'm on the hunt for some good ol' black salve. My grandma always had a little jar of this stuff that was made by a local country doctor back in the 1960s. That stuff was kind of nasty, but put it on for 48 hours and any splinter or sliver in your skin would pop right out. Even when her jar was 50 years old, it worked like a charm.

So, last week I got a metal sliver in my palm at the base of my right index finger. I thought I got the sliver out right away, but apparently a little bit was still in there and now there's a tiny painful lump. It's deep enough I don't want to cut it unless it's a last resort. Anybody got any recommendations for a drawing salve that actually works?
This stuff is awesome. It's also good for burns. You might try an epsom salt soak. Also, I know there is a pine tar salve but have not used it so don't know how well or not it works. This one I've used since I was a kid back when wheels were square and dust was new. Pearl remembers that ;) 😂
https://www.amazon.com/IODEX-Methyl-Salicylate-Ointment-Ounce/dp/B0011Z649Y

I always forget the batteries :(
Easy to do. That's why I spent the extra bucks and got a grip with storage. I'll pull the red dot battery, install the one in the grip and put a new one in the grip.

Icthamol!! CVS down here carries it and a lot of veterinary supply stores!

Spike...order Amish Origins Draw Salve. It works. Online. B&W ointment is good, too, for cuts after the splinter is out.
Didn't make it to the bigger town. Call from the Menno Manor, and there is covid there again. Mom's down to 106 lbs, doesn't want to eat, but will drink an ensure. Just not enough calories. She was 140 in Feb, 127 in July. Talked to her hospice nurse. Plumber took forever...trying to figure out how the last owner plumbed something that wasn't right. So no town for me today. Washed windows, apple cake in the oven, repackaged lots of lentils, picked tomatoes and peppers.

Spike...order Amish Origins Draw Salve. It works. Online. B&W ointment is good, too, for cuts after the splinter is out.
Didn't make it to the bigger town. Call from the Menno Manor, and there is covid there again. Mom's down to 106 lbs, doesn't want to eat, but will drink an ensure. Just not enough calories. She was 140 in Feb, 127 in July. Talked to her hospice nurse. Plumber took forever...trying to figure out how the last owner plumbed something that wasn't right. So no town for me today. Washed windows, apple cake in the oven, repackaged lots of lentils, picked tomatoes and peppers.
We need to be able to use multiple emojis. I'm sorry your mom is going downhill. Does she like bananas? And sometimes icecream. That's a tough one.
I bet your house smelled good with apple cake baking though ☺️

Yep, sometimes bananas, and sometimes strawberry shakes. I need to wait a few days to go to see her since there's covid in her hallway again. Husband can't tolerate even a cold. I just took the apple cake out of the oven...waiting for someone to sniff. Husband is in the bedroom watching Star Trek, and little granddaughter is in the garage playing with five little kittens. We couldn't find where mama had them for a while. Then today, I heard a mewing from the old outhouse by our chicken coop. And sure enough, five cuties. Mama moved them to the garage.

I had set a small live trap out a few days ago to hopefully get some squirrels that we’re getting in my roof. Got a groundhog instead. I let him out and saw him run under my back porch.

Got the bigger trap out and got him again this evening. Took him to an area near a creek away from the house, next to a Meijer. While in Meijer getting some soil to fill in the hole the lady in front of me at the checkout had a praying mantis on some vegetables. The cashier pulled it off, and I told him I would take it outside, I left it on some mums. I think I might be turning into Dr. Dolittle!

View attachment 117631View attachment 117632
Years ago I brought praying mantis home from when I was mowing for the local high school and ever since then I see egg clusters, usually on the back side of 2"X 4"s that I have leaned against a building or fence, if you ever want to see what a great job they can do, catch a grasshopper and give it to a mantis. Also, I recommend don't mess with mantis when they get into breeding mode, they get into a nasty attitude and will bite.

@squirrelhunter, I hope the winch will work.
@Magus, I hope your day starts going better
@LadyLocust, I hope you can get the sinus infection cleared up quickly. My dad had one so bad it ate through his sinus cavity and almost got to his brain. They had to chisel out parts of the bones in his cheeks to drain the infection out. I think that was back in the 70s or 80s though so they probably have different techniques now.

Woke up with bad acid reflux and ran out of antacids. Drank a little pepto, made myself belch, and drank some water. It did seem to help a little.

I'm about to go to the post office.
The winch isn't going to work on the ATV,it was pulling the ATV backwards even with the brake on. I'll try it on the pickup tomorrow.

I so need to clean up my bench! It’s a disaster with the jeep project! The whole shop is. Winter is coming and I’ll put off the biggest part of that job for cold weather. Pullets are laying a variety of pretty eggs now and the lone duck lays an egg most days.

View attachment 117643
I got rid of my ducks a month or so ago, they were tearing up the pond banks too bad.

I had set a small live trap out a few days ago to hopefully get some squirrels that we’re getting in my roof. Got a groundhog instead. I let him out and saw him run under my back porch.

Got the bigger trap out and got him again this evening. Took him to an area near a creek away from the house, next to a Meijer. While in Meijer getting some soil to fill in the hole the lady in front of me at the checkout had a praying mantis on some vegetables. The cashier pulled it off, and I told him I would take it outside, I left it on some mums. I think I might be turning into Dr. Dolittle!

View attachment 117631View attachment 117632
I would kill that groundhog faster than any other critter. Those things wreck stuff. Plus they are really fun to explode with a high powered rifle.

Years ago I brought praying mantis home from when I was mowing for the local high school and ever since then I see egg clusters, usually on the back side of 2"X 4"s that I have leaned against a building or fence, if you ever want to see what a great job they can do, catch a grasshopper and give it to a mantis. Also, I recommend don't mess with mantis when they get into breeding mode, they get into a nasty attitude and will bite.
I HAVE BEEN BITTEN BY A PRAYING MANTIS! I was going to start a thread, "what haven't I been bit by", but it wasn't worth the two seconds!! FYI, Lady Bugs bite!;🤔😉

Icthamol or drawing salve in the first aid section.

I fired up the smoke house this morning. Got some habanaro peppers and Jack cheese smoked using alder wood. I'm going to make some Tabasco style pepper sauce, only I'll use the smoked habanaro peppers.
I have some pork riblets smoking over applewood for dinner tonight. Also marinating some beef strips overnight. Going to make a sweet tequila jerky tomorrow in the smoker.
Rounded up some cattle and sent out two loads today. Maybe 5 more loads to go. It'll be nice to have them all off the mountain before we get some snow.
We're hoping to take a couple days off and go somewhere before everything freezes solid.

Took my 3 1/2 mile walk, then went to my elderly neighbor's house to break down the boxes that had their two recliners wrapped in. I then realized his garage was a mess, so I spent 3 hours sorting, putting away, and moving stuff to his backyard shed. His wife is real happy that he won't trip on anything while going into the garage.
Just paying it forward!

Walmart sells it in the pharmacy at least here anyway

Latest posts

Back