What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got woke up by my stepson saying that someone was trying to get into the walk through door in the garage. He scared them off. He is about 6' 7" and 280. And I sleep with a gun within reach. Good thing for them that they did not get in.

Husband's got a pre op appt for his cataract surgery that'll be in a couple of weeks. We'll be near the Aldi for that, so I'll go in and fill a cart. Little granddaughter's whole school (there's maybe 50 of them ha) are going to a pumpkin patch for the day and picnicking there. She was excited. Trying to see if the barn cats will eat scrambled eggs. I have too many eggs.

Awesome @snappy1 !!!
Sorry you’re sick @UrbanHunter hope you feel better quickly.
@Neb that’s cool, you fiddle in your shop, I didn’t know you played the fiddle 🎻
I’m kidding.
Do you belong to a mycology club? You two go out foraging for morels?
@squirrelhunter those are pretty high numbers. Well the top, is that the systolic? Sorry it’s so hard getting stuff done.
Yeah it was 187 over 65,187 was the top number. Before they put me on 2 different pressure medicines it was going over 200, now I'm on 3 different blood pressure medicines and also on 2 different blood thinners because I have 2 restricted arteries, 1 along my left collar bone and 1 in my left thigh.

Today we did the post-op wound check from the pacemaker surgery last Friday, a-okay. Tomorrow we have a pre-op appointment for her cataract surgery scheduled for the 30.. I am looking forward to a break from having 2 or 3 doctors visits each week.....
Glad it's going well. Prayers for a boring cataract sx (that's medical shorthand for surgery like rx for Rexall) and that you get a relaxing break soon.

Husband's having his cataract surgery on the 24th, then go in on the 25th also, and a week later. I hear you about doc appts, Urban. We sometimes go every other day. Already went today for pre op.
Filled a cart at Aldi, was surprised how busy the store was, there sure wasn't any great sales. I'll be putting stuff up most of the afternoon.

We went to the zoo for my birthday (it's tomorrow)!! It was so nice to get out and see some animals, lol!! Was a beautiful day, 70's and cloudy, all the critters were active! Ft. Worth zoo is really beautiful, a lot of new stuff since our last trip there! Then he took me to a late lunch at Jack in the Box (cruddy fast food for you Yankees that don't have those), and to Walmart! What a day, I'm tired!

We went to the zoo for my birthday (it's tomorrow)!! It was so nice to get out and see some animals, lol!! Was a beautiful day, 70's and cloudy, all the critters were active! Ft. Worth zoo is really beautiful, a lot of new stuff since our last trip there! Then he took me to a late lunch at Jack in the Box (cruddy fast food for you Yankees that don't have those), and to Walmart! What a day, I'm tired!
I'll be glad to send "Jack in the Box" to somebody that wants 💩food and rather poor service. I went ONCE. So many much better independant/not a chain resturants around so not to repeat the hideous nightmare

I'll be glad to send "Jack in the Box" to somebody that wants 💩food and rather poor service. I went ONCE. So many much better independant/not a chain resturants around so not to repeat the hideous nightmare
I'm just nya fast food person, but we were in a hurry. 🤮

Thanks for well-wishes.
Magus & Urban, I hope you both get feeling better. Sorry if I missed anyone else who is not feeling well.
Hoping Pearl will be recovering soon as well.

Clem, I'm glad you found a mutually beneficial agreement with those boys. My dad missed a lot of school (partially bc his mother would keep him home to "take care of" her when she was not feeling well, but also because he would just ditch school to go fishing or do something else because he was bored). He only made it to 8th grade so never went to high school. When he turned 16 the school pretty much told him if he didn't voluntarily leave, he'd be kicked out. He was working odd jobs- had a paper route, worked as a custodian at an old vaudeville theater that was converted to a movie theater, etc. My uncle wanted him to join the Navy but they wouldn't have him without a high school diploma. So he joined the Army instead. He got a GED and ended up testing high enough to go into Army Intelligence. Served in 'Nam and got GI Bill to pay for college. Sounds like those boys have a plan, but I hope not finishing school won't hurt their job opportunities in the future.

dademoss, I've never had Jack-in-the-Box but my dad tried it twice (20 yrs apart). He got food poisoning both times.

Amish, I hope the cataract surgery for your husband goes well.

I'm no longer nauseous and headache is gone but I'm really tired. Woke up with some swelling on the right side of my throat (where there is still some adenoid tissue left after my tonsilectomy years ago). It sometimes flares up when I get the recurring EBV. Brother is still sick but was well enough to go to work yesterday- ok, not necessarily well enough, but he still went. He was dizzy the whole time and his boss let him sit down.

Mom is still feeling a bit cruddy. Coughing and feeling tired. I bought a bunch of soups & stews at the store the other day. She had creamy chicken and dumplings (Campebells) for lunch. I had a salad.

Managed to get my 15k points in Mistplay for a $50 amazon gift card. takes 48 hrs to process so I couldn't use it toward my Prime day purchases, but that's ok. I'll save it for other stuff. I'm about to take a nap I think. Rainy weather makes me sleepy.

dademoss, I've never had Jack-in-the-Box but my dad tried it twice (20 yrs apart). He got food poisoning both times.
My sympathies for his plight, I was fine, but the visit will NOT be repeated. If you are ever hopelessly lost in the vicinity of the Village of Clarksville, 45113, send me a message, we can provide shelter and food recommendations, or you can share our leftovers :p :)

dademoss, I appreciate it and don't blame you one bit for avoiding Jack-in-the-Box. Even the name sounds unappetizing. They are doing what into the box? Ewww! :p

I completely forgot that yesterday I picked up mail and went to some of the local stores. Got a "Tamale tub" (very large bowl) to leave on my friend's porch as a surprise and see how he reacted. He thinks he can fit at least 4 "family size" bags of Doritos in it and wants to put some cheese over the top as he likes to make doritos nachos. His little puppy could probably swim in the bowl.

I also picked up a cheap basket to use on top of my UPS to protect the top from cat vomit.

Well it wasn't all that great a day for me. I was trying to pull out another maple tree root that's over the clay tile drain line that's backed up with the ATV and the chain slipped off and I couldn't stop the ATV in time and drove into the breezeway which made me fly over the handlebars and I hit the handlebars with my stomach. That hurt needless to say. I tried to yank the root further out and about went over the handlebars again and hit the other handlebar with my hand and sliced it some. After a few minutes I started feeling weak and since I'm on blood thinner thought I should go to the ER to make sure I didn't have any internal bleeding. Luckily there's no bleeding just bruised up in there.
I may still have some roots to pull out I'm not sure. That ATV really could use a seat belt on it you know? ;)

Last edited:
Well it wasn't all that great a day for me. I was trying to pull out another maple tree root that's over the clay tile drain line that's backed up with the ATV and the chain slipped off after I couldn't stop the ATV in time and drove into the breezeway which made me fly over the handlebars and I hit the handlebars with my stomach. That hurt needless to say. I tried to yank the root further out and about went over the handlebars again and hit the other handlebar with my hand and sliced it some. After a few minutes I started feeling weak and since I'm on blood thinner thought I should go to the ER to make sure I didn't have any internal bleeding. Luckily there's no bleeding just bruised up in there.
I may still have some roots to pull out I'm not sure. That ATV really could use a seat belt on it you know? ;)
Think about a winch and a strap for an anchor?

@squirrelhunter !!! What are you doing? That's awful. But how is your hand? No stitches? Wish I could send helpers to you, sure sounds like you need it! You're in Indiana, aren't you? A little far for me to go.
Not so far for others, I know a couple in the area, one is me.

@squirrelhunter !!! What are you doing? That's awful. But how is your hand? No stitches? Wish I could send helpers to you, sure sounds like you need it! You're in Indiana, aren't you? A little far for me to go.
No I didn't need stitches. Yeah I'm in Indiana. I've been working on the tile drain line for right at 2 months now and still haven't gotten to the bad spot. It's on a hill and we've had a really dry summer. Where there's not many tree roots there's really hard clay that the shovel barely touches. Right now I'm within 2-3 feet of the base of the maple tree and I've had from 4-6" diameter roots. I don't have a backhoe or even know anybody with one and can't afford to rent one if I did so it's just a shovel,axe and hatchet.

Think about a winch and a strap for an anchor?
I've got a winch on my 4x8 utility trailer that can be mounted to a ball hitch but I don't have the mounting adapter. I guess I could either strap it to the ATV somehow or if I could maneuver it right just back the trailer over there since it's already mounted to that.
Thanks for the idea.

I've got a winch on my 4x8 utility trailer that can be mounted to a ball hitch but I don't have the mounting adapter. I guess I could either strap it to the ATV somehow or if I could maneuver it right just back the trailer over there since it's already mounted to that.
Thanks for the idea.
You need help, yell, it;s only a couple hours away :)

Not so far for others, I know a couple in the area, one is me.
The bad part is I'm on Disability and will be lucky to have the money for the pipe once I get to the problem let alone be able to pay anybody anything and most people anymore won't loose money helping people out. Thanks for the thought though.

Latest posts

Back