What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent way too much time today dealing with my computer misbehaving. My husband was a champ and spent time on the phone with Microsoft, and they were actually helpful.

Grateful that’s over with, but boy that wasn’t how I wanted to spend the afternoon. All we wanted to do was set up a printer!
I got to the point that I was beginning to hate Microsoft, that they purposefully designed systems to become obsolete, not to mention their propensity to just lock up at the most critical time and then there is the aspect of software writers the at seem to be in love with all their complicated exercises in futility, I finally had enough of that garbage and bought a MacBook Pro, it has it's quirks but I like it's intuitive design and for the things I don't know how to do, my computer whizz son helps me, he got rid of the HP printer info and the MacBook automatically took up the Epson printer info.

today I am most pleased, on tuesday I bought a parts tractor, 2 or 3 days "tinkering" it runs, still more tinkeering, cause I had the governor injector pump and nozzles apart, no known spec manual (supervizor 42 is laughing "with" me i bet)
more later

Right now I'm trying to keep from falling off the chicken coop roof. I've got about 4 rows of shingles left to nail down. The roof is too steep to climb on, so I put an 8' ladder in the bucket of my tractor and raised it over the 6' run fence. It seemed a little sketchy so then I put an 8' 2×12 in the bucket and made kind of a bridge out of it.
It's kind if Okie fashioned but I can't think of anything else to try.

Yesterday after my post I napped and then took my new computer case and the parts that had arrived over to my friend's house so he could put the parts in. He put in the mainboard, cpu, cpu cooler, ram, graphics card, gpu cooling fan, and a switch with USB that I can use as a USB extension and to have a remote switch to turn my computer on and off without having to push the button on the case. When the psu arrives I will bring my current computer over along with the new build so my friend can pull the hard drives & blueray player out of my old one and put them in the new one.

No callback from my uncle so I'm guessing his wife is still hanging on.

My sister called last night and then sent me an amazon e-gift card.

Guts didn't like me today and I ended up staying in bed all day feeling cruddy. Was out of pepto bismol so I'll need to go to the store and get more. Was thinking of going tonight but I'm too tired and my vision at night sucks so I'll probably go tomorrow.

Right now I'm trying to keep from falling off the chicken coop roof. I've got about 4 rows of shingles left to nail down. The roof is too steep to climb on, so I put an 8' ladder in the bucket of my tractor and raised it over the 6' run fence. It seemed a little sketchy so then I put an 8' 2×12 in the bucket and made kind of a bridge out of it.
It's kind if Okie fashioned but I can't think of anything else to try.
On a sketchy get up, nailing shingles on a roof and posting on the forum 🤔

Made Hubby a batch of toothpaste. Began putting stuff on the apothecary shelves, could use a whole wall rather than a small standing unit. Strained my lavender oil. Once the bag is dry, I will strain my cedar oil. Have a laundry list of things to do but went upstairs and played in the sewing room for a few hours. It was wonderful! Chilly mornings and this time of day, the blue dun bugs are thick! Hubby has been resealing his tent. He's nearly finished but he's whopped and the bugs were starting so now we are sitting.

What are blue dun bugs @LadyLocust ?
What did you sew today?
They are like a little blue grey gnat. They get in your eyes and hair and teeth etc. This pix looks big but they are maybe just over 1/8".
1696813969758.png

I made a huswif. It's nearly finished but I'm sitting here on the computer rather than up there finishing it. Maybe tomorrow then I will post it in the sewing thread :)

Canned the salsa I've been prepping the last two days and chopped up butternut, jarradahle, and acorn sqashes along with a ton of onions, celery and some carrots. Cooked it all in chicken stock and after pureeing, ended up with a little more than three gallons.

Supper for a few days and the rest into pans for the freeze dryer.

After facilitating The Princess project of moving the canning supplies from the attic to the basement (one ladder two flights if stairs) we moved sensitive plants like coffee olive orange and fig inside.

Rhen I just set back and watched her work her new shelves.

20231007_235212_HDR.jpg

It was fun

Ben

Canned the salsa I've been prepping the last two days and chopped up butternut, jarradahle, and acorn sqashes along with a ton of onions, celery and some carrots. Cooked it all in chicken stock and after pureeing, ended up with a little more than three gallons.

Supper for a few days and the rest into pans for the freeze dryer.
Chopping takes a lot of time! Good job. A weird question I only just thought of: when you reconstitute the puree, is it a 1:1 ratio or do different foods have different ratios?

Different foods, different ratios. Some foods like meat don't take up more water than they need. I weigh my food before it goes in the FD and multiple times at the end making sure it's dry. Because of that, I have a final product weight and therefore, the total weight of water lost. This can be used to put the same amount of water back in. A lot of people are happy just adding water slowly and guessing.

For the soup puree powder, it's easy enough to add water until you get the consistency you like.

Made Hubby a batch of toothpaste. Began putting stuff on the apothecary shelves, could use a whole wall rather than a small standing unit. Strained my lavender oil. Once the bag is dry, I will strain my cedar oil. Have a laundry list of things to do but went upstairs and played in the sewing room for a few hours. It was wonderful! Chilly mornings and this time of day, the blue dun bugs are thick! Hubby has been resealing his tent. He's nearly finished but he's whopped and the bugs were starting so now we are sitting.
We are having a bug invasion here too. The little fruit flies have been awful this fall. I got them earlier this year. I had a little bit of food get caught in my kitchen sink drain and they were feasting on it. I wouldn't have known except they were always around that sink and I decided to pull the strainers to see if there was anything in there. Sho 'nuff, that was it. I don't know how they managed to survive the running water, but they did. They were living on a tiny bit of rotten something that didn't make a smell. I got that taken care of and set apple cider vinegar traps, and they were gone for a month. Now they're back, and they're everywhere. People all over the area are saying they've never seen them this bad. I set out more vinegar traps today and I'll do a thorough kitchen sweep tomorrow...

Apparently my whole household is sick today. Mom feels exhausted for no apparent reason. I just got her some food and she's feeling a bit better but tired.

Brother called in work and got someone to take his shift bc he's feeling so cruddy. Might be the flu. Hope its just a cold though. His nose is stuffy, he's tired, and his body aches all over.

My uncle must have been too upset to call, but I saw my cousin posted on FB about 7hrs ago that her mom passed. I'll have to get condolences card from the store tomorrow.

Staying home today!
I hope you can stay still and keep leg elevated! It would be difficult for me.

Apparently my whole household is sick today.
I hope you all feel better soon!

Up early again. Will walk first.
Laundry already going.
Will dehydrate sweet potato slices for dog treats.
Nothing else planned.

So I will be home bugging y'all a bunch today. Hubby will be home early. The radiator in my car split yesterday, so it's apart in his shop waiting for a new radiator and hoses to get here from Rockauto! The JD LX280 lawn tractor is awesome! Needed a lot of cleaning up, it's in his shop too! I have several piddily things to do in a bit. Mostly laying low today!

Saturday just didn't go well, we were exhausted from our Friday at the hospital. There was a lot to do, laundry, cleaning, working in the garden and such, but I was just not able to put out a lot of effort. I found myself sitting down and falling asleep. By bed time I was pretty disgusted with all I didn't get done...

Yesterday was a good day, when I checked my calendar I realized that Monday was a holiday for me. Just after sun-up, I was able to finally spray down the hornet's nest that had been holding me at bay, it was cool enough that they were moving slowly and I was able to hit them all on the first shot.

Yesterday morning was spent at the range. The most interesting thing I saw was a guy shooting a replica 1850s vintage 58 cal, he had made his own kit including brown paper speed loads with minie balls pulled from an authentic looking bullet pouch.

After I got home I was able to finish the laundry and get half of the greenhouse skinned, need to finish it today.

This morning I went to the grocery store, completed the emissions inspection of the car, and have started working on the greenhouse again.
I have the car up on ramps to change the oil, but I plan to wait for the concrete to warm up a bit before I lay down on it to do the job.

Phone tag with doctor's office, made appointment for eyes, getting ready for other stuff, store, take stuff to donations, make a list for the big store for pay day.
@UrbanHunter it is okay to take a break.
We've had lots of robins and black birds coming into the yard to get a drink this morning. If the birds leave, the bugs populate.
@LadyLocust your blue dun bug reminds me of "no see 'ums" in Florida.
1696868952793.png

not my photo.

Phone tag with doctor's office, made appointment for eyes, getting ready for other stuff, store, take stuff to donations, make a list for the big store for pay day.
@UrbanHunter it is okay to take a break.
We've had lots of robins and black birds coming into the yard to get a drink this morning. If the birds leave, the bugs populate.
@LadyLocust your blue dun bug reminds me of "no see 'ums" in Florida.
View attachment 117446
not my photo.
I have met no-see-ums before. They are awful! They are also attracted to white.

So this morning I got last night's dishes put away and the few that were in the sink done. Hubby brought in the sausages before he left for work so I got those all packaged and sealed and in the freezer. Then 5 stops to make "on my way" to work.
Just another manic Monday 😊

Hope everyone is feeling well today.
@Pearl, I'm keeping an eye on your thread about the copperhead bite.
@Spikedriver they probably got in through some vents in the back. I still need to clean the dead ones out of our old fridge from when the power was out for awhile.

Got a mild headache, mild nausea, leg cramps and generally feel cruddy & tired. My brother may have the flu. He called in yesterday & today but he's got a good boss who cares about people's health so she found people to take his shifts.

I'm going to have to go to the post office and store today. Need to get some Pepto and maybe something for treating flu symptoms. Getting sick this time of year sucks bc it's the perfect weather to go outside but all I want to do is sleep. At least my stomach is not as bad as it was yesterday.

Hope everyone is feeling well today.
@Pearl, I'm keeping an eye on your thread about the copperhead bite.
@Spikedriver they probably got in through some vents in the back. I still need to clean the dead ones out of our old fridge from when the power was out for awhile.

Got a mild headache, mild nausea, leg cramps and generally feel cruddy & tired. My brother may have the flu. He called in yesterday & today but he's got a good boss who cares about people's health so she found people to take his shifts.

I'm going to have to go to the post office and store today. Need to get some Pepto and maybe something for treating flu symptoms. Getting sick this time of year sucks bc it's the perfect weather to go outside but all I want to do is sleep. At least my stomach is not as bad as it was yesterday.
Hope you feel better soon! Let us hear!!

Back