What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to the point that I was beginning to hate Microsoft, that they purposefully designed systems to become obsolete, not to mention their propensity to just lock up at the most critical time and then there is the aspect of software writers the at seem to be in love with all their complicated exercises in futility, I finally had enough of that garbage and bought a MacBook Pro, it has it's quirks but I like it's intuitive design and for the things I don't know how to do, my computer whizz son helps me, he got rid of the HP printer info and the MacBook automatically took up the Epson printer info.
I used Macs for years and loved them. Sierra made my copy of (paid-for) Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) unusable. I can still use my Windows copies even though we’re at least four OSes beyond their release.

So I’m on Windows. Thanks, Apple. /:

Well I struck gold this morning.

Two young lads (brothers) about 16 & 17 knocked on the door looking for work. They helped the firewood guy supply our wood three years ago. That guy hung up his shingle and these two backwoods boys need to eat.

We don't need any fire wood, but they are busy cleaning the chicken coops and hauling in gravel to bring up the floor level. My back thanks them.

They have a really good attitude. Hubby just made them lunch and they aren't picky about that either. We are going to have them back tomorrow, as well. Good hard workers.

I will wash their clothes tomorrow as part of their pay. They are living off grid in the bush.

Well I struck gold this morning.

Two young lads (brothers) about 16 & 17 knocked on the door looking for work. They helped the firewood guy supply our wood three years ago. That guy hung up his shingle and these two backwoods boys need to eat.

We don't need any fire wood, but they are busy cleaning the chicken coops and hauling in gravel to bring up the floor level. My back thanks them.

They have a really good attitude. Hubby just made them lunch and they aren't picky about that either. We are going to have them back tomorrow, as well. Good hard workers.

I will wash their clothes tomorrow as part of their pay. They are living off grid in the bush.
Those kids don't have parents in the picture? Good on them for being willing to work. But, they really should be in school, and in a secure home, in my opinion...

I tended to plants and trees that were moved into the greenhouse for winter. Then moved to the garage to tame the monster of chaos occupying my work bench.

20231009_163515_HDR.jpg

Almost can see the bench top now. I will be at it some more tomorrow.

Feels good establishing some order again.

Ben

Went fishing today. Didn't catch anything. The wind is coming up and it's getting cloudy now. Feels like a storm is blowing in. We need the rain.
I'm loading up the truck tonight so I can go to the dump in the morning. Then we're going to start shipping the cattle out of here. I've got about 40 head locked up in the 10 acre pen leading to our load out coral. After the cattle are gone I'll start focusing on trapping.

Those kids don't have parents in the picture? Good on them for being willing to work. But, they really should be in school, and in a secure home, in my opinion...
They have a mother on disability. The only place they can afford is an old homestead way back off the beaten track.

The boys refuse to finish school and the law says you don't have to go after 15 years of age. It doesn't matter what we all think about it.

They have a home and are taking care of themselves without doing the drug scene. They are in negotiation for 80 acres and hay machinery from an old farmer. The modern school system isn't going to help these boys do better. They are not white collar and don't want to be. They want their independence and are willing to work for it.

Those boys have a work ethic when they are working and are also good at mechanics and are working on a home heating system using old oil and a few other gadgets.

They are well mannered and happy, so I can't say I know what's best for them.

It's good you found them, Clem. Young amish lad is 13, and worked a day a week for us this summer with random stuff, mostly mowing. I pay him a straight $10 an hr, and he seems fine with that. I'll have him for one more summer. The amish stop school after 8th grade (he's in 7th this year) and he'll start as an apprentice somewhere. That family does have a good sized farm that he chores at after school and Saturdays. I was lucky to get him last Saturday for three hrs. One neighbor gave me 6 qts of applesauce she did today. I went out to feed the baby guineas in the milkhouse before dinner, and happened to see our closest neighbor's meat turkeys out free ranging. They are ready for butcher, getting huge, double breasted whites. We have a path in our tree line to each of our places, since we're back and forth so much. So I went to the path for a closer look, since they were out. He's been talking about them nonstop, their first time with turkeys. After I looked them over, I went walking back to deal with the guineas, turned around, and all nine of them decided to follow me home. Cracked me up. I got husband to come out on his scooter and take a look. A flock of turkeys coming to visit. Amazingly, when I got in front of them, and called, they followed me back to their farm. Our neighbor came out and cracked up. Everytime husband beeped the scooter horn, they would gobble.

School, especially public school, is over-rated. If those boys can read and write and have that kind of work ethic, they're better off than the teens sitting in school playing with their phones. Glad you could give them some work, Clem. I have a couple of young men from my church that have been helping me move the heavy furniture and such. Both have full time jobs but are willing to help on Saturdays when they can, and I appreciate the horsepower. We got to talking this weekend and I realized that one is four years older than my daughter, and one is four years younger. Kind of funny, I had thought they were all closer in age than that. I just count myself blessed that they're so willing to help for a few bucks. The other day my brothers were digging up the old mailbox post when the young guys came back with another truckload of stuff. They got out and my brother hollered "hey muscles!" and they both turned and looked, LOL! Then they promptly pulled that old post up in one heave, cement and all. Ah, to be young!

@ClemKadiddlehopper as long as those boys are safe and warm and have a parent, then I suppose it's OK for them. I still like to see kids finish high school, but it's not absolutely necessary. Sounds like they understand that working is what keeps food on the table and shoes on their feet. May God bless them...

By last night I had a cough and sore throat, so I called it a night early. Still have both and an head ache to boot... (I think I picked up something sitting all day in the hospital waiting room on Friday). I did finish the greenhouse yesterday, so now it can receive plants.

By last night I had a cough and sore throat, so I called it a night early. Still have both and an head ache to boot... (I think I picked up something sitting all day in the hospital waiting room on Friday). I did finish the greenhouse yesterday, so now it can receive plants.
Hope you feel better soon!!

Walked first.
Went to bank and paid off house. Yay!
Local grocery.
Handyman came over to see what all we need done.
Still have to prep meat and veggies for making dog food this afternoon. It will cook overnight and get pressure canned tomorrow.

Walked first.
Local grocery.
Still have to prep meat and veggies for making dog food this afternoon. It will cook overnight and get pressure canned tomorrow.
CONGRATULATIONS!! No more mortgage!!!🎉🎇

I'm still digging up the clay tile drain line trying to find the problem, been on it since the first week of August, still haven't found it yet. With my health issues I can't do much at a time. No equipment except a shovel and axe don't help any. It's going within about 2-3 ft. of a maple tree now, THAT'S HARD WOOD!!!!! I found out today when I was in the ER Saturday my blood pressure was at 187 over 65 so she's adding more medicine and setting me up for another stress test...... Oh well, gotta take whatever life throws at you.

Walked first.
Local grocery.
Congrats! Party time~
:dancing:

Walked first.
Local grocery.
Excellent!

Ben

I cleared a portion of the work bench then set to work on a project for my son. Fiddling in the shop is one of my favorite activities.

I will be spending time this evening looking for deals from Amazon deal days. Found a book on mushroom hunting The Princess had on a wish list.

Behave

Ben

Awesome @snappy1 !!!
Sorry you’re sick @UrbanHunter hope you feel better quickly.
@Neb that’s cool, you fiddle in your shop, I didn’t know you played the fiddle 🎻
I’m kidding.
Do you belong to a mycology club? You two go out foraging for morels?
@squirrelhunter those are pretty high numbers. Well the top, is that the systolic? Sorry it’s so hard getting stuff done.

Had a quiet day of rest planned… then one of my new hens got out of the coop. She was waiting by the door wanting back in. So now I had to do some minor repairs. I let a beauty berry bush grow against the coop. It provides good shade all summer and repels insects. Have to cut it back every couple years, it was due. It had pushed back the wire at the top frame member. A hole just big enough for a hen to get out. Leave it to a new chicken to find the one weak point in a fence.

Once repairs were done… I cleaned their water tanks and topped those off, added a sack of feed to the barrel, topped off feeders. Brought in fresh hay for the nest boxes. Got it looking ship shape. Oh, today I got the first egg from my new hens!

Watching tv this evening.

20231004_162510a.jpg

That's super awesome, Snappy. It's a great feeling not to have a house payment!
My freeze dryer stopped freezing, not sure what's wrong with it. I am sitting on tons of tomatoes, so they'll be dehydrated and powdered. Got a mass of chilis roasted today...Big Jim chili, seeds from New Mexico. Sat on the porch with the burner, and husband sat out with me. Then peeled, and put in freezer bags. Went to the amish discount grocery in our little town for another bushel of apples and other random stuff.

Hope the freeze dryer is an easy fix Amish!! Made the day just fine today, no setbacks from the bite! The little Aussie I am training is awesome!! Her owner is doing a great job too! They are definitely practicing when I am not working with them, and they are both enjoying training together!! 😃

Had a quiet day of rest planned… then one of my new hens got out of the coop. She was waiting by the door wanting back in. So now I had to do some minor repairs. I let a beauty berry bush grow against the coop. It provides good shade all summer and repels insects. Have to cut it back every couple years, it was due. It had pushed back the wire at the top frame member. A hole just big enough for a hen to get out. Leave it to a new chicken to find the one weak point in a fence.

Once repairs were done… I cleaned their water tanks and topped those off, added a sack of feed to the barrel, topped off feeders. Brought in fresh hay for the nest boxes. Got it looking ship shape. Oh, today I got the first egg from my new hens!

Watching tv this evening.

View attachment 117531
That beautyberry is gorgeous! I’d never seen them before I visited my husband’s family in Texas and went stomping around in one of their trail-type parks.

Sad they don’t grow here, they’re such a neat plant.

That beautyberry is gorgeous! I’d never seen them before I visited my husband’s family in Texas and went stomping around in one of their trail-type parks.

Sad they don’t grow here, they’re such a neat plant.

They are nice to see, a very useful plant and an annoyance on a farm. Birds eat the seeds, land, so they grow under and through fences. I have a lot of fences... constantly cutting them down, with the rain here? The plant i posted above gets cut down every 2-3 yrs, comes back in no time.

Back