What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let the hens sit but I'm not really expecting a huge success this year. I usually put them up in a big run/coop once all are hatched so the wild things cats dont get them. This year it is hot..and that run needed some tlc I never finished, so I'm debating on what to do. Put them up or see if mamma can keep them safe.
I lost 2 turkey hens this year..gah..I probably outta put them up..

I got a fantastically large splinter under my nail last night..
I'm not sure that is a word..but she's a doozzy..
I tried pulling it out..through my leather glove since I couldn't get the glove off but it broke just at the quick..
F#<%=& hurts!
I love my job..lol..
Other than that..the work week went by well dispite the 100+ heat.
Today I have my group meeting..I need to get a few things at the store and I'd really just like to relax.
Coffee..

Attachments

• 20240713_121917.jpg
    20240713_121917.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
At least you can have a bit of fun showing your middle finger wound to people. on my last head wound I accidently put mentholatum (the precursor to vicks) on it , it never even got red (after the bleeding) stopped
that or vicks might be ideal to keep the splinter from drying up in the nail bed.

I think I made up a few new curse words last night..
It felt like my finger was on fire for a few hours and the two fingers next to it hurt too..musta pierced a nerve.
Now it just throbs . Cold water n ice help but I do need to let it fester n try to pop it out or dig it out.
🫨

So I just found out the town south of me is getting their power shut off fir a few hours today . High winds n extreme firedanger expected supposly..
Tomorrow we're supposed to get 100 +Heat, high winds n dry 🌩

May have been a month since got any serious rain so watering is part ot my duties.

The Princess supervised harvest of lettuce, carrot, and yellow beans. She lectured me about working outside in the heat.

I have been trying out a new " natural" weed killer. I started incorporating in my weeding work. The chem lab that is my nose suggests it is strong vinegar and dish soap. The smell makes my eyes water. I have what I think is Johnson Grass which is a pain in a garden. Time will tell if the weed killer controls the weeds.

Ben

Yuck, Hooch. That splinter looks extra nasty. I wouldn't let it go too long. I remember our boys, playing out in the road when they were little...they'd come in yelling with skinned hands with pebbles I'd have to pull out. Yuck.
It's 103 out with a strong wind. Husband and I went to the neighbors and brought them some chicken legs I cooked up...she's very pregnant, and her kids love them, call them chicken on the bone. She said they'd go out and pick some sweet corn, and viola! dinner. They were excited for the surprise. She was canning when I got there...salsa and pickles. An extra stove in the garage type area. But I told her she was nuts, it's too hot to can with no AC. One of the daughters (that I'd drive to amish school) had been running in the sprinklers, so she did not have a cap on and it was the first time I saw how long her hair was...down to her calf. Amazing. Little granddaughter's hair is not quite that long, but almost. We went into our little town to drop off at the thrift store, and to see if they had a night table with rollers on the drawers (husband wants one), but they didn't. I did find a pair of Yak Traxx for a buck, I have some, but sometimes our kids need them, and found a shirt and some craft stuff for little granddaughter. Stopped in at the amish discount grocery and got a few things. Lately, they don't seem so much of a discount. I'm staying in the AC with my iced tea till it's time to get the chickens some cold water.

I got a fantastically large splinter under my nail last night..
I'm not sure that is a word..but she's a doozzy..
I tried pulling it out..through my leather glove since I couldn't get the glove off but it broke just at the quick..
F#<%=& hurts!
I love my job..lol..
Other than that..the work week went by well dispite the 100+ heat.
Today I have my group meeting..I need to get a few things at the store and I'd really just like to relax.
Coffee..
If You have or can find some of these :

1720906914717.png

Cut a small "v" in the nail and use tweezers :

1720907030024.png

to slide down along side of it and slowly pull it out...?!?

been busy, market then food and animals care, plus watering what's left in the garden
then just looked at the shocking news....I always suspected this would happen IF he get elected but it's already starting, wow. We are now officially a banana republic, I have no words

Took friends to harvest yellowroot, been planning since last week. It was 103f on my porch when I left home. It wasn’t any cooler in the woods and I was wearing rubber muck boots. Even though it was a bad for snakes I didn’t wear snake gaiters. I’d have melted with those thick heavy things on my legs. It was way past warm, it was hot!!!! Damn Hot! 🥵

And then didn’t get all the plants I need, a disaster (see plant of the day thread). So, I baked a pie when I got home, gonna have pie and ice cream in a bit. At least the day won’t be a total disaster. 😊

It was raining most of the day which puts me right to sleep. I did a curbside pickup. Met my friend at the store and had him look at my engine briefly to see if it moved when I revved it--he thought motor mounts might be loose bc of noises under the hood. No movement at all so not sure what is causing the noises. Fed kitties and doggies. Refilled water. Cooked for Mom.

Friend gave more details about the work situation. The employee who screwed up apparently tried to make an end run around her boss to try to get corporate to pin it on my brother. She was trying hard to get him in trouble instead of herself and really pitched the idea that he should not have been in the office and he should have caught the escaped kid-- nevermind that he was doing his job by performing closing tasks in the office and there would have been no need for him to spot the escaped kid if she'd done her job and not let the kid out. The boss was getting flak from corporate so she took the keys from my brother to try to protect him from their wrath as the real culpable person was scapegoating him. Friend was also having bad pain from kidney stones.

Got groceries and unloaded them and then racked out for a nap. Woke up and found out Richard Simmons died. That made me sad. I met him once and he was very sweet. Friend told me over social media about the rally incident. What a cluster!

I cooked for Mom and decided to give Ginger a treat. I was holding her and Fippy started whining, wagging his tail, and standing on his hind legs because he wanted to see her. I set her down on an end table and he hopped up to touch noses with her. He usually doesn't like the cats but for some reason he wanted to see her.

I'm about to try to get to sleep again. Night all.

zannej: I remember Richard Simmons too, I think I had one of his workout tapes ( on VHS tape that's how long that was...)
I would have thought he would live to 100

Today we have so much stuff to do I don't know where to start
weeds ( specifically baby walnut trees in the pasture) need to be sprayed. I wished this could be prevented but we just don't have the time to go and pick all these walnuts out of the pasture every year. ( it's very steep and there are about 10 walnut trees). Cutting down the walnut trees is problematic also, they are sort of a wind break for the house ( all in a row at the top of the pasture) and they would either fall on the fence or the house if cut down so we would have to pay someone a lot of money to do it. I hate black walnut trees, why on earth the previous owner kept them there I have no idea. They also prevent other things from growing when larger

there are some more lambs with poopy butts that need to be dewormed and medicated ( just a few we missed the first time) so we have to try to get them in the barn again

laundry needs to be done

plus regular chores

Hope everyone else has a more relaxing Sunday!

Looks like I'll be taking husband into ER pretty soon here. He has had a bad night. We'll see what else the day brings. Little granddaughter's mom will be showing up to visit her this afternoon. Was supposed to go to favorite cousin's for supper, but will cancel that. Going to be super hot today.

I’m working today so that I have Friday off. Friday starts my vacation. Yesterday was our family reunion and I didn’t want to leave. Spent the whole day in the pool. I’m actually not pasty white anymore. The traffic wasn’t bad which surprised me for a weekend during the summer, headed to the shore.

One of my cousins, she’s 82, took up basket weaving, and made a special basket for me.
IMG_2796.jpeg

I had a great time at our meeting yesterday. It lasted longer than normal but we shared alot if news and some great ideas.
After that around 5pm, I ran a few errands, came home n checked on the birds. Put stuff away n tried to numb my fingertip with oral tooth numbing stuff I got.
It worked somewhat..I was able to cut n dig out a little bit of that splinter..but it is so deep under my nail I wiped out after about half a hour of trying to get it out whole.
Maybe I need to get drunk, then numb it , then cut it or drill it out...lol..
Anyways, so around sundown I took the pups to my friends pond for some running n swimming. Got home about sunset, watered the plants, showered n by the time I sat down it was pushing 11pm.

Then I noticed my phone had blown up with posts regarding what happened..

And now..I've been trying not to get my panties in a bunch over the political division that creates so much hate and division . I really do believe our country really need to stand united or we continue to fall ..
But..
My inner rebellious unhinged redneck woman really wants to tell my cool 😎 calm better person in me to shut the f*** up for a minute.

I do..Stand United with all those who are my in my tribe and defiantly sneer at all those lefty progressive unicorn she/hims that are crying over a failed attempt.
Tom McDonald could've said it better this morning in his response video,
" BITC* YOU MISSED!"

Latest posts

Back