What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to my special friend this morning while stitching on a embroidered monkey quilt block.
Sipping coffee.
He had me on speaker phone when we talked this morning.
He and his crew heard very distinctly what I said when I walked into my kitchen this morning.
What the heck happened to my kitchen*******.
I could hear some of the crew tell him, she's going to hurt you when you get back.
I just finished cleaning up the kitchen from his cooking adventures yesterday.
4 sink fulls of dirty dishes, oven has been cleaned, microwave has been scrubbed( I won't even take a guess what blew up in there),air fryer has been cleaned, same with rice cooker, and the crock pot.
All the cabinets have been scrubbed, same with light switches
Floors are no longer sticky, they're swept, scrubbed and mopped twice.
And I am still smiling..
Today is my cooking day.
But first sipping coffee.

Here’s what I agree with and I’d better get outside and mow before it gets too hot!! I’d get in the pool but I don’t have one.
It's hot already, came in for a water break! Got a lot done outside already. There is quite a breeze! Heading back out to fix some hot fence. The bull in the pasture next to Buddy really wanted a drink when I was filling Buddy's extra water! The only water the bull and cow have is an almost dry stock tank (pond)! 🙁

I finally slept with my love Dane Girl we had a good sleep together
Today : she just had her breakfast ...now she snoozes sounds like a 10 wheeler :p
I am deeply in love !!!!
SAM_1409.JPG

My brunch on this Monday : Omelette-cheese-crispy bacon - maple syrup over it
and to wash it down : very hot Italian Coffee e crema

1722266219868.jpeg

It's hot already, came in for a water break! Got a lot done outside already. There is quite a breeze! Heading back out to fix some hot fence. The bull in the pasture next to Buddy really wanted a drink when I was filling Buddy's extra water! The only water the bull and cow have is an almost dry stock tank (pond)! 🙁
My battery for the mower will not take a charge. I’ll either order cheaper thru the jungle or pay more at the hardware store. I don’t like either of the big box hardware stores. So maybe the jungle (amazon) is a better idea.
I didn’t get a lot done yet @Pearl
So are you going to call the sheriff or give the bull some water? I can’t believe how people treat animals. It is very upsetting.
@Mountain trapper nice deck. Mine needs to be replaced.

My battery for the mower will not take a charge. I’ll either order cheaper thru the jungle or pay more at the hardware store. I don’t like either of the big box hardware stores. So maybe the jungle (amazon) is a better idea.
So are you going to call the sheriff or give the bull some water? I can’t believe how people treat animals. It is very upsetting.
That's the cow and bull that the people down the end of the road put in my neighbor's pasture when they moved! I texted the neighbor, we will see what happens!!

Pretty sure my food processor is going to die an painful death this week.
Have the dehydrator going this morning with 5 trays of peppers(red,green,yellow,orange).
Will be looking for ideas for what to do with his grocery store purchases from Sunday.
Already cooked up 7 pounds of bulk pork sausage that would n't fit in the freezer in orginal packaging.
Also cooked up 10 pounds of hamburger that won't fit in freezer in orginal packaging.
But I can put them into pint bags in 1 cup and 2 cup pint bags for recipes.
Made potato salad for supper already.
Have a half a dozen eggs already cooked up for potato salad, just hard boiled eggs for quick snacks.
Have 2 whole herb drunken chickens roasting in the oven now in roasters.
After I rest awhile I will take 1 or 2 sleeves of celery chop and diced up for three sisters.

Today was the garbage day...the idiot did not empty my garbage bin

What did I do .....I did call the town gave him my address and said,

*What the hell !!!!
*I pay f&%ing TAXES and the trucker guy did not pick up my garbage from my bin!!!*

The garbage/trash responsible guy said: * Oh .... I come pick that now *
And about 10 min after ...he was with his pick up truck of the Town
and took away from my bin plastic bags of garbage

Since I am a nice person :p I did help him to put bags in the pick up truck
*He said *Oh thank you! * ...when he finished he told me
maybe the guy forgot to take garbage from other bins as well...
He said : * I am calling him to see what the F&*? is his problem * 🤣

Then he left ! 😉

Did a ton of outside chores this morning, but supposed to be housecleaning today. My back is complaining, so more tabs of something...then I better get to cleaning. The pup is scared to death of the vacuum cleaner, but tries to kill the broom and mop. Enough procrastinating. Company comes tomorrow and a big dinner party the next day.

So we're thinking about getting some hogs. Anyone here ever heard about Idaho Pasture pigs? They're supposed to do good on pasture and require very little commercial feed. I've got about 10 acres fenced for them with about 300 feet of hog panels already up. Just need to pick up about 75 more panels. I've got a small shelter already built but I'll build a larger one too. I think we'll start with a boar and 4 females.
We just moved the meat chickens up to the large run today. They're in with the laying hens now. They'll be ready to butcher in a few weeks.

So we're thinking about getting some hogs. Anyone here ever heard about Idaho Pasture pigs? They're supposed to do good on pasture and require very little commercial feed. I've got about 10 acres fenced for them with about 300 feet of hog panels already up. Just need to pick up about 75 more panels. I've got a small shelter already built but I'll build a larger one too. I think we'll start with a boar and 4 females.
We just moved the meat chickens up to the large run today. They're in with the laying hens now. They'll be ready to butcher in a few weeks.
Be sure to ask the finishing weight. My experience with some of those breeds is that they finish pretty small. We bought a whole hog one time & the gal said the breed - heritage of some sort. Got about 50ish lbs of meat from a whole hog. The pork chops looked like something from a kids play set. Tasted good and we paid by the hanging weight but was disappointed at what it was. So now whenever we are buying meat, I ask what breed and average finishing weight.

Went to town for tests at the outpatient clinic, finished up in time for lunch. I was starved, couldn’t eat after midnight.

Did a little plant hunting on the way home, found a new honey hole. I stopped at a creek I saw a couple weeks ago. There was a house and barn a little ways up the hill. Anyway, I found plenty of yellowroot in the creek, stepped back onto the gravel road. I saw a guy coming down his driveway. He thought someone had broken down…

Turns out, he and his wife (met her too) have been trying to learn plant medicine for a year. No, teacher, just Utub videos. Well, now I have 2 new students! Even better she had plenty of crossvine, harvested some for me today, Score!!!

Back to the creek… I walked by this cottonmouth 3 times and didn’t see him. I was actually teaching these folks a mint plant I saw 2ft from the gravel road. Suddenly the guys says FREEZE!!! Snake!!! I was only a couple feet from it! Managed to get out of range without being bitten. The guy had a revolver, .22, missed both shots and the snake made it into the creek. He said he kills one every couple weeks at this spot so he was looking, thankfully.

20240729_sn_cottonm2a.jpg

You need to distinguish between a lard or a meat breed as well as birth to finish times and wts.

I raised large blacks. They are a lard breed. They get very big; up to 700 lbs for a mature breeding sow. They are very easy get along with, and did well on pasture without rooting it up and given enough room, did well birthing. They are pony sized dogs.

I've never heard of an Idaho pasture pig.

As I suspected, looking for an existing group I'm running into the compost pile. Several wanting to live off grid and I mean way off like 1880. Many religious groups. And the real winner is Fortitude Ranch. First I saw an old listing with info I thought might be looking into, I looked. 1 Ranch in West Virginia and a 2nd in Colorado, all pay to stay. $1500 buy in with $250 a month and $300 a year. How sad. That's the lowest fees for 1 person bunkhouse, it goes higher.

Last edited:
What kinda mower?

He’s in getting a CT scan. Yesterday morning he had blood in his urine and it continued this morning. Called the md and he said to go to ER. No pain, no UTI. Probably the Eliquis again.
Not the Eliquis. CT Scan showed a tiny mass in his bladder. They admitted him so they can stop the Eliquis and use heparin. He gets a cystoscopy tomorrow. I haven't told him how that is done yet--that's the urologist's job. I spoke with the urologist and he said it could just be a blood clot (that will be flushed out), a benign mass or possibly cancer. In any case, we'll know tomorrow.

I'm waiting for his phone to charge a bit more and then I'll be picking up his lady friend on my way back to the hospital. This is a really great hospital. I did 18 days in it about 10 years ago for some colon/ileo work and they really take care with you. They have 24 hour visiting hours (as long as you don't create a ruckus). They are one of the few hospitals that allowed visitation during the pandemic (without ze papers).

I humbly ask for your prayers.

Latest posts

Back