What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's raining here.
Suppose to rain the next 3 days then turn to snow.
Quite day so far.
Thinking getting a book going back to bed with it.
Strawberry is sprawled down on my lap snoring.
Need to soak some beans for soup use up leftovers this way.
Maybe make chicken chili, or chicken vegetable soup.
Was going to make drunken chicken out on the grill but atlas no beer.
So will just roast in oven instead.
Yes WVDragonlady I do, also use it instead of lettuce on tacos,in soups,stews.

Didn't get nap, had whiny grand daughter Estelle instead for several hours.
Going to try again with the nap in a bit.
Just as soon as my head stops pounding.
Estelle's daddy brought me 5 pound box of Queen Anne Chocolate covered cherries.
Two cookie mixes in a jar,tried to tell him I could make up my own cookie mixes in jar so Estelle can have homemade cookies.
Me mixing them up in jar is way cheaper than buying them that way.
So this weekend will be setting up kitchen for cookies in a jar marathon filling jars up writing out directions.
Still haven't looked at new tablet and memory card, maybe later.
Got chicken vegetable soup on in crockpot, smells good.
Sometime in near future have to clean oven, something my son was cooking exploded in my oven. YUCK!
Course he couldn't remember what it was, something for Estelle to eat.

I mainly put apps on my new tablet today. We put up an American Flag that we bought yesterday. Ran the dishwasher for it's monthly cycle--well, that sounds wrong! Brought Christmas boxes and totes up to take down tree, etc tomorrow. I took down decorations and wreaths from front porches and put them away. No cooking required today!

Feel better, Mo!
Went in to work, then my assistant showed up. Hooray.
So I left and got things cleaned up at home and mostly packed to leave.
Am getting creative because I usually bring two ice chests, and I left one at the farm last time.
We usually bring a lot of fresh food; we do go to town, but it's a ways away.
Got lunch packed and ready to go for tomorrows drive.
Last load of laundry in.
Had to "black bag" everything. Our things are in an open truck bed and I'm not sure about the weather.
We had snow today, but it quickly melted.
My assistant and my son are arguing big time. But she's off work as of 15 minutes ago, and I don't hear screaming from the trailer, so I guess that's good.
These young people who don't believe in marriage need to figure out how to work things out.

Got out of the truck tonight on some ice i didnt realize was there and slid down the door and running board to the pavement on my butt and back.

Re-read your post tonight... reminded me of someone I haven't thought of in ages...

Anyone else remember Foster Brooks? He was on a lot of tv comedy shows back in the 60's. He always pretended to be drunk. He was pretty good at it.

To @Bacpacker he would have said...

"Be careful or, or you'll slip and bust your assssssssk anybody".

It's hard to type drunk dialog... ;)

Last edited:
Peanut i do recall Foster and thats most likely exactly how he would have said it.

Drove 600 miles give or take to get back home from a trip to Michigan to visit some inlaws for Chirstmas. Traffic was heavy but moving all day. Im sore and bruised from the fall, but no worse for wear. Trip wasnt as bad as i figured last night.

6.5 hours in the gardens today where we trimmed 3 trees in one side of the property where the branches were hitting the ground and the branches are now in the trailer. We had to trim them to be able to mow the other half of our property and get the rideon around the base of the trees. I then raked up where DH slashed prior to the last rains and put the grass clippings around all of the ornamental shrubs around the house to keep the moisture in. I put on a load of washing and then hung it on the clothes line and brought it in when dried.

DH then mowed the whole property with the catcher on and we used some of the grass clippings to mulch around the ornamental trees in the house paddock and the rest we put in a bay at the back to later be used for our garden beds. While DH did that I pruned the star jasmine that was growing into the gutters of the meat house and outhouse and those prunings are now ready to go to the tip tomorrow in either the second or we think we may have 3 loads of green waste to go to the tip.

DH then cleaned the kitchen benches and washed up and I dried the dishes and put them away.Tonight's dinner was sausages cooked on the BBQ , homemade corn and capsicum pasta salad and sparkling apple juice.

Gonna pay bills and maybe do some cleaning today. Otherwise, I ain't doing squat! This will be my rest day. I have family flying in from Europe tomorrow until New Year's day and I have to get my own self squared away to fly to L.A. on New Year's Day for work. I imagine I will be ready to go back to work by the time all that is done. Work will be my vacation from taking a vacation!;)

Hubby took the last load into the recycling center this morning.
I got another load of laundry done
Made our meals
Helped hubby enclose the outdoor kitchen with the tarps we have for it
Did some reading

Next up hubby has to bend some metal to finish off the extra snowbirds for the roofs and put them up. What we have on there now don't seem to be enough

Hubby took the last load into the recycling center this morning.
I got another load of laundry done
Made our meals
Helped hubby enclose the outdoor kitchen with the tarps we have for it
Did some reading

Next up hubby has to bend some metal to finish off the extra snowbirds for the roofs and put them up. What we have on there now don't seem to be enough
What are snowbirds for the roof?

That's my question, too!

Christmas is down for another year! I actually like taking it down. I feel like my house looks like a minimalist lives there--at least for awhile! It has rained all day here and with some thunder and lightning, too. Supposed to rain more overnight and then clear up for the day tomorrow. Supposed to rain again tomorrow night, I think. I got rid of the weather channel on my phone and tablet and got the app called Grumpy Cat Weather. It's funny, sarcastic and has as good a radar as TWC. And a higher rating. LOL You can get it for Android but we can't put it on our HP Windows Edge Laptop.

Getting ready to hit the road
Just don't hit it like I did! LOL

Picked up fuel for the tractors to top off my stores. Still have 15 gallons of 100% gas to rotate and refill to go. Moved some more leaves and spread them in rows for the garden. Rain started and looks like it's gonna continue thru tomorrow steady. showers thru next thrusday after that. Just catchin up on some reading now.

It was 51* here today, but supposed to be 30* tomorrow and 29* Saturday with rain all 3 days.
Right now it is 32* the wind is blowing.
I'm sitting in the recliner eating Pringles.
Strawberry has put herself to bed.
Had Estelle for a few hours today less than 6.
Pleasant day, she's feeling better, her little head cold is loose.
Runny nose, healthy appetite ate her first whole popcorn ball by herself.
Ate all my soup, so will have to cook tomorrow.
Got a little dab of dishes to do up tomorrow.
Went to class tonight, it was interesting to say the least.
Thinking about going to bed with book called Casting Off.
Not a bad little book.

Checked into a motel in a little town in Colorado near the Kansas border. What is usually a 10 hr drive had us driving 11 hrs into states we don't normally go to. Highways are closed. Bummer. Maybe we'll make it by tomorrow evening. Blizzard warnings in New Mexico so we're not going back there. Funny, it's good weather at the farm, but it's just getting there.

Yes they're to break up sheets of snow and ice when they melt off the roof

Standing-Seam.jpg

Husband in the shower. Kids ignoring getting out of bed, even though I was blasting "Seven Bridges Road" from my laptop (thanks again, Patchouli). Need to get out of this little town and attempt to get to the farm. We drove nearly 5 hours out of the way to get around the closed roads, now we are remapping. Can't go back home (and I don't want to anyway) because there's a blizzard and those roads are closed. It's 9 degrees outside here.

Its 10:30 and I'm still in my pajamas. I still have to get a shower and get dressed *sigh*
I don't feel like doing anything lol I'm tired for no reason. I'm going to boost my vit C and see if that helps. I might be coming down with something although I feel fine just tired
I have laundry to sort ( socks ) and fold
Supper today is soup and sandwiches

Latest posts

Back