What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's unreal how quickly this place is emptying out. The two shipping containers took up a lot of garage space and the two pickup loads cleaned out most of what was in the garage not in one of those two containers. Another couple loads to storage tomorrow and I will be ready to start packing up "house" stuff, a lot of which is going to be donated. I expected this to take me 5 work days or so and now it's looking like maybe 2-3. Leaving the appliances, futon and cameras/monitors/DVR behind for the contractor took some time off that too.

September 19th 2024
8.30 pm --- 57f right now and breezy
Exhausted but happy

I slept not that great but ok last night
I sleep in the attic ...and I have no curtain ..the moon :rolleyes:
was a bit too bright :confused: I like very dark nights
Fall cold nights will show soon ... hopefully

Since I am my Cats and Dane Girl employee I did work a lot today *for them* :p

Ate Oktoberfest sausage soaked in maple syrup for dinner
with buttery mashed potatoes
then a very warm Earl grey black tea honey and cardamom.

Tomorrow I go see my mechanic friend JC
he does great jobs he works for himself
he is his own boss :) and a fun guy

This week end I will stay home and sit on my a** if I can :)

Will stay up for a bit
Nite Nite whenever guys

Waiting on supplies for the gennie and resistance soldering unit so back to one of my loves, ho scale model railroads. Making a CNC program to cut chassis parts out of brass. Resistance solder the parts together and maybe sell a few. I have several nice old kits and some parts have zinc pest, zinc pest is a type of corrosion that gets in the metal (zamac, a zinc alloy) when too much moisture is present. So many old kits have bad parts I think this may prove fruitful. I studied a lot of CNC for dummies on YT I have the dummy part down no problem. Already made a couple programs so it's just time and math. Other than that watching Real America's Voice.
Ask and you shall receive
1726795535529.jpeg

Ask and you shall receive
View attachment 162670
Dang Lady, She was always one of my favorites. Still not bad looking as old as she is now.

We picked up some sammichs and went to visit my parents this afternoon. Thats one thing I'm enjoying being out of work, getting to spend time with them.

Well today didn’t go as planned. My car has been hanging out since last Friday at the Lexus dealership getting new brake pads and shims for the rear ceramic squeakers and a replacement front sonar parking sensor that was on the fritz. She would squawk when temperatures were above 75 and the sun was shining. I’ve been driving a wicked expensive loaner suv they gave me in the meantime that I’ve decided I don’t like. I got a call at 3 that it was ready, paid for the fixing, got in the car that had been sitting in full hot sun, and promptly got a squawking sensor. Got out and verified there were no cones or other things hanging around and nope, just a fritzy sensor. Service guy drove back into the technician’s bay and showed them the issue in action. Apparently they thought it was the one next to it that had a small rock chip and it was overcast and cooler until today. They kept the car, ordered the next sensor over, refunded my bill for the sensor work, and gave me a different wicked expensive loaner to use for our week long trip to the coast for our anniversary. Service guy handed me the keys and told me to have a nice trip. Eating ice cream for dinner and contemplating about packing. 25 years of being married and we still eat dessert when regular dinner seems too involved.

daughter and granddaughter got here ok yesterday and we just hung out, going swimming today after animal care

we finally got a call from the wood guy and he is supposed to deliver us some wood first thing this morning. He told husband he was waiting on some part for his wood cutting equipment or something

Well today didn’t go as planned. My car has been hanging out since last Friday at the Lexus dealership getting new brake pads and shims for the rear ceramic squeakers and a replacement front sonar parking sensor that was on the fritz. She would squawk when temperatures were above 75 and the sun was shining. I’ve been driving a wicked expensive loaner suv they gave me in the meantime that I’ve decided I don’t like. I got a call at 3 that it was ready, paid for the fixing, got in the car that had been sitting in full hot sun, and promptly got a squawking sensor. Got out and verified there were no cones or other things hanging around and nope, just a fritzy sensor. Service guy drove back into the technician’s bay and showed them the issue in action. Apparently they thought it was the one next to it that had a small rock chip and it was overcast and cooler until today. They kept the car, ordered the next sensor over, refunded my bill for the sensor work, and gave me a different wicked expensive loaner to use for our week long trip to the coast for our anniversary. Service guy handed me the keys and told me to have a nice trip. Eating ice cream for dinner and contemplating about packing. 25 years of being married and we still eat dessert when regular dinner seems too involved.

hope you get your car fixed soon, I just ignore any sort of sensors or unecessary equipment unless it is something you actually need like brakes or the battery charge being too low
My check engine light has been on in my Yukon for almost as long as I have had it ( its' some emission control sensor ) and so has the tire check light ( I can see if my tires are low) . They put all this expensive and unecessary crap on vehicles so you can spend more getting everything fixed

Trying...!!! One More Day...!!

Always Good to Have a "friend JC"...!!! 🙏 :heart::thumbs:

It's unreal how quickly this place is emptying out. The two shipping containers took up a lot of garage space and the two pickup loads cleaned out most of what was in the garage not in one of those two containers. Another couple loads to storage tomorrow and I will be ready to start packing up "house" stuff, a lot of which is going to be donated. I expected this to take me 5 work days or so and now it's looking like maybe 2-3. Leaving the appliances, futon and cameras/monitors/DVR behind for the contractor took some time off that too.
Erase the DVR...?!?

I am loving that we do not have a doc appt today. Amish neighbor Marlon, Bet's owner, came over with his chain saw late in the day yesterday....trimming trees, moving branches that had come down, and also took the skid loader after our massive chicken manure pile to turn it and remound it. It had been growing crab and wheat grass, and was a mess. I think I have enough manure for years. So I need to check out what all he did. Our hay barn roof is loose, so hoping today he can look at that, but he also grabbed the big mower keys, so we'll see what he does. We let him use some of our land we own, so he helps around here when he has time. Dave should be by this morning, working more on the kitchen. Ceiling trim is next. I need to go to Home Depot this weekend and get some paint to redo the cupboards and paint the ceiling trim. Husband was up most of the night, so I think he'll be napping alot of today. So I'll keep busy with chores here and husband's stuff. Little granddaughter's school is having pajama day today. She just got a talking to about her math grade (D) while her other grades are all A's. Hmm. We will be looking at math this weekend, I suppose.

We are dogsitting again. The pup is supposed to get here aroung 9:00. We have had her before, so there shouldn't be any issues. Hoping to sneak out and whack some golf balls around the range. Weather is pretty nice in the mornings.

hope you get your car fixed soon, I just ignore any sort of sensors or unecessary equipment unless it is something you actually need like brakes or the battery charge being too low
My check engine light has been on in my Yukon for almost as long as I have had it ( its' some emission control sensor ) and so has the tire check light ( I can see if my tires are low) . They put all this expensive and unecessary crap on vehicles so you can spend more getting everything fixed
That could be just the gas cap. You can get it checked at about any parts store. With a new one it takes a little driving around to turn the light off.

If you top your tank off quite a bit it could be the charcoal canister. It pulls gas vapors from the tank and runs them through the engine. Topping off pulls straight gas and ruins the charcoal canister. The gas cap seals the tank and if it leaks the emissions control can't pressurize the tank (checking for leaks) and sets off the check engine light as well.

Still hurts to breathe a bit, but otherwise, pretty (normal?) Except bruises. Lots of them and road rash. Sigh

Already walked.
Will stop and drop off some homemade hot sauce, habanero jelly, elderberry jelly and blueberry butter for a friend who is retiring from Probation dept. today. I will miss seeing her on my walks!
Will work at cafe for 3 hours.
Not sure what else is happening.
I did get my bedroom closet completely finished yesterday. Yay!

Still trying to get my generator hooked up. I don't understand why contractors talk about a job but then disappear. I rented a trencher and my brother helped me run it for 160' between the house and the gen. Two weeks ago my young helper guy dug out the area next to the basement window; tomorrow he's coming back and hopefully between the two of us we can finish the end of the trench digging by hand (couldn't get the machine any closer) and actually put the gas line in the trench. So it will be in place and ready for the contractor to make the connections at either end. He also has to run the gas line from the meter in front of the house, through the basement, to where the trench starts. If he shows up.
My brother can't come back and help tomorrow because he got such a bad case of poison ivy when we did the trenching that he's smothered in cream and asleep with benedryl. I feel bad; I completely forgot that the trees I had taken out had been infested with the stuff and doubtless that big root knuckle we had to dig out was poison ivy leftovers. I never should have let him handle the root. It seems my poison ivy immunity is still in place, which surprises me a bit. Everything else in my body is breaking down and wearing out, but I don't have so much as a blister from tearing out that root.
That trencher was a beast. Wore both of us out taking turns running it.
Working on the greenhouses today, sure hope I can get the plastic on soon!

Latest posts

Back