What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went grocery shopping again! Yes, just went the other day! Yet we managed to buy a sh*tload of stuff ... mostly produce and frozen things, and a few other items.

Decided I wanted Tuna Salad for dinner, so I whipped up a batch. Will have it on toast for dinner here soon.

Chess, the male pup, is digging in his bed here in the kitchen. No idea why he is so into doing it! But he is very happy doing it!!! He does it all the time. He then rolls around in it, growling and barking. Kudos to the manufacturer for making a bed that has survived a hundred digging episodes with no damage - YET!

I finally heard from my daughter today, just two short messages. My son talked to her yesterday and said that she's in pretty bad shape. I know I should head up right now to see her, but I've got a doctor appointment on Thursday that I've had to wait 3 months to get. Her husband is staying home with the kids so they're OK.
OMG, what is wrong with her?

Today was an interesting day. Two of my wife's friends both had doctor appointments today & they couldn't drive to them. (One's car is dead because she was operated on & hasn't used it in a month, the other had a scope operation scheduled). I drove one to her appointment while my wife was with the other one. At the end of the day my wife picked up one & took her home & picked up burgers on the way back. She got 1 bite & got a briefing on the other one. She couldn't be alone tonight, can't drive for a week, no lifting over 15 lbs & clear liquids for a week. So the wife is spending the night over at her house. Nothing but fun.

IT'S ACTUALLY RAINING, FINALLY. Morning at the cat shelter, then to the tire place to tires taken off the rims. Rims are aluminum, they go to recycle. The tires go to the township recycle day on Saturday.

Mountain Trapper: hope your daughter is ok

Today it is supposed to rain later so we might put the animals in. Need to clean the kitchen and stack more wood. We have plenty for now , should fill up the wood shed
One of the livestock dogs , Axel, has a lump on his side. He has had one on his leg before but it went away after some antibiotics. I still have some left ( vet gave me a lot last time) and will try that first before taking him to the vet. I have a bad feeling about it, he is almost at the average live expectancy for those type of dogs :(
We have not made progress on our greenhouse , son has made no progress on getting a job , but he has signed up for the EIT test next in a few weeks, hope he passes the first time. So we need to get the greenhouse up while he still has some time to help

I tend to go to Lalvin EC-1118 yeast.
Ordered it yesterday. Thanks!
it’s supposed to be up to 90 again
Here, too. 90 today and then cooling off into the 80's for day time.
Axel, has a lump on his side.
I hope he recovers with antibiotics!
@Mountain trapper, Praying for your daughter!

Today, I will walk first.
We have a video appt. with DH's rheumatologist this morning.
Then, work on throwing out a lot in pantry. I have tiny black bugs all over. I think they came from some cake mixes I was given and didn't think to freeze first. Will leave pantry mostly empty while I am gone to visit for a week and then stock up when I get back. Taking a chance by waiting, but there are too many little bugs to ignore.
That's my big ambition! I did complete all Christmas cards, yesterday. That is such a big thing done!

No appts today (hooray). Plan on baking some seasoned chicken legs this afternoon and bringing them to our neighbor's place for her kids, they're a favorite with the kids. Most amish do not bake what they call Chicken on the Bone, instead chicken is shredded and served. Anyway, that's the family with the new baby, so I've got some baby gifts and want to meet new little Julie Yoder. Dave the fixit guy should be here in about an hour, finishing the trim on the laundry room, and maybe starting some bedroom floor repairs. Rowdy the pup eating a hole in his straw hat finished the day yesterday. Waiting for the kitchen cupboard hardware to arrive, so I can see how the new stuff will fit and then start redoing the kitchen cupboards. But the weather will be really good again, so maybe more time outside.

And I thought I was stiff and sore yesterday morning! After running a weed eater 2 hours sore reached a whole new level. Glad I took some solomon’s seal before bed last night. It made things a lot easier this morning.

6 items were on my weekly list yesterday. 2 items are done, 2 more partially done and it's only Tuesday! Finished prepping the corral and got the garbage out for pickup.

I still need a tank of water… despite 7 inches of rain from hurricane francine creeks are very low. We’ve had no other measurable rain since july. The rain came over 3 days, the ground drank up most of the water, a good thing. Grass is having an amazing growth spurt.

There’s enough water for cattle to drink in the streams down in the bottoms, but they are not deep enough to pump from. Called a cousin, gonna get a tank of water from his pond sometime this week. Only a mile away so I’ll take the tractor, put the tank in the 8ft trailer. I have to check both my pumps first, make sure at least one of them is running.

I have the double gates painted, post is marked, used a line level yesterday so both gate heights and hinges will match. Just have to drill holes for the gate hooks and hang the gate. Sounds like a good project for this morning, just have to get motivated. :)

Last edited:
This year our orchard did pretty good. We got a lot of blackberries, grapes, raspberry, cherries, plums and apples. Of course we need a frost before the apples are sweet enough the eat. The chipmunks or squirrels ate every peach. One day they were almost ready to pick, and the next day they were all gone.
Anyway, I'm looking at buying a fruit press. I'm looking at the Homesteader model from Happy Valley Ranch. Has anyone here ever heard of this company? I wanted one was heavy duty, easy to use, decent capacity and of course made in the USA. This model fits my criteria.

My attempt to get back on regular sleeping schedule was thwarted when Mom woke me up around 2am wanting something to eat. Not a big deal, she was hungry so I fed her. Got Rupert to drink water from a bowl.

Decided to take the old rotisserie chicken that smelled and tasted a little stale and see if I could make it into wet food for Rupert in a new little blender I got on a lightning deal. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QNUCRW0/

It worked and I now have some wet food for Rupert. He ate a lot of it but I have a whole big container now. Might have to freeze it or get a silicone ice mold or something to put some of it in to make smaller pieces that can be warmed up.

Not doing much at the moment, just resting.

Beautiful fall strawberry. Now that the grasshoppers are gone my garden strawberry's are producing as well as my blackberries.
They have a few weeks untill nighttime temps put it all in winter mode..

Attachments

• 20240924_105919.jpg
    20240924_105919.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Dropped Nephew off, went to grocery store & got gas $1.699.
Put up Groceries & eat roast beef & brie for lunch.
Chopped onions, carrots & mushrooms to cook pork roast.

Celery flakes off the dehydrator, beet greens on the dehydrator, might try making some of that mixed greens powder.

Had a walk, had my allergy shots. Trip to the range this afternoon. I should try to get something done between now and then, though I’m horribly tempted to slack off.

Latest posts

Back