What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Irishman seems to think I need to learn something new.
I believe he called it Patience.
So while he was surfing the Internet.
He has suggested I learn how to make cheese.
He went so far as to give me a list of cheeses he likes.
His mother just laughed at him.
Told him maybe he should be careful.
By the look I shot him.
So now he's walking around telling our friends I don't have the "patience" to learn this.
So how do I learn to make cheese.
I need a very basic recipe.
Do you need special equipment to make cheese?
Sometimes I thinks he just likes to rile me, so we can kiss and make up.
But I would like to learn.
Not because of him saying I have no patience right now.
But because I like learning new things.
Like jish and AH have mentioned. I call it farmers cheese. Heat 1 gallon whole milk to 195, add 1/4 cup vinegar or lemon juice give it a minute or two then pour through cloth lined colander. Salt to taste (maybe half tsp). Hang for about an hour to let any excess moisture out. Refrigerate until you eat it 😊

Really you would? Ha Ha.
If the cat was alive, I would not have buried it. Don't know anyone who would.
I guess I shouldn't have mentioned half his face was ripped off, but I couldn't comprehend what animal would do that.
"I just spent the last 2 1/2 hours burying the cat was a british humor skit" some 30 + plus years ago, so I figure it is a valid question.

Realized that I have never brought anything home from an auction and not had to tinker with it at least a bit befor I could use it.

Like Monty Pythons Dead Parrot Skit.
Is it dead? No, it's just pining.
very similar, "flailing and squirmin about he was
he wasn't dead then??
No bu' he wasn't well at all

Went to the dump today. Picked up my BIL's trash too. I'll need to make another dump run tomorrow too. I picked up another load of off-road diesel on the way home. Since I let the diesel over flow the fuel tank on the tractor I pressure washed it off. I have a hydraulic leak somewhere on the tractor, so I washed all the hydraulic lines to see if I can find the leak. If I can fix the leak myself that'll save me a lot of money and time.

I have a question probably for the southern folks. Does anyone know what Basleduc is? In perusing my 1932/1944 Southern cookbook, there are a couple things I’m not familiar with. Will attach recipe for context.
View attachment 163582
I am not Southern, but a bit of poking the internet and separating the word into “bas le duc spread” got me bar le duc, which is apparently a currant jelly, typically made with red or white currants.

Given that they’re recommending orange marmalade, currant jelly seems appropriate! The whole dish sounds kind of like a deconstructed Monte Cristo. Yum.

Just got back to the hotel after work. We had a fairly easy day. I de-clipped a couple hundred concrete ties by hand and that's about all I did. Just got done with dinner and now it's time to pack all my gear for the 6 1/2 hour drive home tomorrow night. If all goes well I should get home around midnight. Then it's another 7 days off to recover from that a$$ kicking work gave me the other night.

I booked a suite for a little vacation in October. GF and I are going to take a couple days and explore some caves and hiking trails along the Mississippi River in eastern Iowa. I had to get a pet friendly room because she won't go without Ruby the dog. I'm looking forward to going somewhere I want to go and doing something I want to do, staying in a hotel because I want to not because I have to...

Sunday September 29th 2024
51f right now supposed to go down 45f

So happy weekend is over ..
I HATE weekends

Was a very smooth day and nice outside all together

Friend JC phoned just to talk a bit
George work a lot in field lately with tractor

Anyway good thing is Cats and Dane Girl are fine
They now at 7.45pm sleeping most of them

I have a list of tasks for this week that have to be done

Anyway ... tomorrow is another day
Sleep well ! 👍 😴

Sunday September 29th 2024
51f right now supposed to go down 45f

So happy weekend is over ..
I HATE weekends

Was a very smooth day and nice outside all together

Friend JC phoned just to talk a bit
George work a lot in field lately with tractor

Anyway good thing is Cats and Dane Girl are fine
They now at 7.45pm sleeping most of them

I have a list of tasks for this week that have to be done

Anyway ... tomorrow is another day
Sleep well ! 👍 😴

Why do you hate weekends?

still alive here, but still no power and now the internet is out too ( I am using a phone hotspot so I can't be on here much or use up our data )
Got straw yesterday, and fuel. Everyone is out of power just about. There was a line of people at the gas station ( that could only accept cash since everything was down other than the fuel pumps) of people filling up gas cans for running generators. We actually saw people walking down the road with what looked like water buckets ( no power means no water for some people if their pumps don't work)
And this is just us here, we didn't even get hit anywhere near as much as NC
Husband and Amish neighbor fixed the road to make it drivable. Husband did the bad section yesterday or we would not have been able to get our trailer out to get the straw. We had to get it yesterday because everything had to be removed from the festival area by 5 yesterday. We got there at 4. Festival went well, they got almost 2000 visitors despite all the problems with the weather and power.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Yesterday evening we heard the chickens making a lot of noise. I figured that something after them. I looked out the window and saw a large hawk sitting on top of the fence looking down in to the run. He couldn't figure out how to get down to the chickens. When I built the old run I took a roll of electric fence wire and ran the wire back and forth across the top of the run. Hawks and owls can't fly through that wire to get to the chickens. I grabbed the .410 that's always next to the back door and fired a warning shot over its head. If I see it back here again I won't give it a warning shot.

It sounds tough Sonya- hope and the community you get some help soon. With the flooding, would water have gotten into the petrol storage at gas stations?

Just realized husband was gifted a ton of apples on the weekend, eating and cooking. Some are windfall and have have spots, but most are fine. There will be a lot of processing; so began with cooking up some to freeze for pies. Then while I made soup from yesterday roast sweet potato I tried a new recipe 'Apple pie jam'. Its setting now- well, fingers crossed its setting. Also made some flapjacks, and spent the rest of the day studying.

I struggled to sleep in today, so I guess I'll just be tired tonight.
Yesterday I got more organized and cleaned in the stall area.
I didn't want to do much but I did anyways. Then my gal pal came over to get a break from her puppies and husband.
Watched some news n crashed..
Today I'll take the pups on a short walk then I have to run to the dump. After just relax untill work tonight.

Latest posts

Back