What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things that I learned over the years is, dogs and people, will eat anything you give them, when they get hungry enough. With that being said, we feed our mutt Taste of the Wild. It's about the most expensive dry dog food we can find. He doesn't like raw eggs, so the wife boils or fries eggs for him. Spoiled mutt.
I fry eggs for the dogs too . plus they get the livers, hearts, tounges, kidneys, chicken feet etc, stuff we don't eat. LOL, some lady bought some lamb liver at the last market and I was like ' oh for your dog" and she looked at me funny and said " no, for ME" . I think she was the first person ever that bought liver to eat herself. Usually people buy that for their pets.
I only feed the expensive dog food to the expensive dog. The livestock dogs ( that eat groundhogs, pigeans, rabbits etc) get whatever is on sale in RK or TSP and has at least some meat in it .

Yes!!!! Weekend is over :)

Sunday October 6th 2024

Hope you all had a good weekend 👍

Very dark outside and 49f
Rain starting now and tomorrow all day ===rain

All the family and myself are fed
Dane Girl is now snoring like 10 wheeler 😴
Cats are sleeping too... almost

I think I will serve myself a glass of Shiraz again tonight
I did sleep so well last night 🍷

Wish you all a very good night

An almost completely wasted day... never got any energy. The fence will have to wait til I do. Started thinking a little clearer late afternoon so I tinctured the pound of turmeric I had in the fridge. Almost screwed that up but because all my weight measurements are to the gram I managed to correct my mistake.

Had dinner, just me and the tv for the evening.

Oh! "NO"!
We have a crisis at Granny's house.
According to 7 year old granddaughter, we have a "MAJOR" crisis at Granny's house.
We have "NO" You Tube on the living room TV.
WE have a black screen, no sound.
Doesn't matter that we have You Tube on the desktop, laptop, Granny's phone and on the TV in Granny's bedroom.
We have a crisis because we don't have You Tube on the TV in the living room.Then she says what did you do to You Tube on the TV, Granny?Beats me! Ah! The joys of being Granny of a 7 year old little girl.She wants to ask the Irishman what "HE" did to You Tube on the big TV in the living room.Anybody want to venture a guess what happened to You Tube on the large TV in the living room?

I fry eggs for the dogs too . plus they get the livers, hearts, tounges, kidneys, chicken feet etc, stuff we don't eat. LOL, some lady bought some lamb liver at the last market and I was like ' oh for your dog" and she looked at me funny and said " no, for ME" . I think she was the first person ever that bought liver to eat herself. Usually people buy that for their pets.
I only feed the expensive dog food to the expensive dog. The livestock dogs ( that eat groundhogs, pigeans, rabbits etc) get whatever is on sale in RK or TSP and has at least some meat in it .
But your expensive dog food has CORN in it!! 🙁

No major plans for today other than animal care and the usual chores. Son is driving to the big city of Roanoke today and spending night in motel so he can take his EIT test tomorrow. I sure hope he passes first time. It was easier when I did mine in Florida, they had it at the university during our last semester.

We have some big projects but not ready yet for them. The greenhouse is not done, maybe we will work on that today. The solar panels are not done ( but still ordered a few more so we are waiting to see what else husband needs to put them up) . Debating on what new generator too. Everything you buy nowadays seems to be junk that doesn't last. I would hate to spend $1000 and it doesn't work when we need it.

No rain in sight for the foreseeable future. I suppose we did need those 6 inches of rain or everything would have dried up for sure.

Lost another friend over the weekend from my old bike club; thats five people in two weeks.
Went to bed with a headache, woke up with everything sore- even my teeth lol. Took daughter to work and decided to stay upright when the painkillers kicked in. Hope it shifts before Thursday, when I'm getting on a plane.
I had cooked apple in the fridge that needed to be made to pies for the freezer, so I've done that, used leftover mash to make potato and chive cakes for frying and put them in too.
Monday is ' use up all the veg and clean the fridge day' so decided to make tonights dinner now so everyone can heat theirs up as they come in (Roast chicken and veg) leftover chicken will do lunch tomorrow, and I've put together a stew in the slow cooker to through on in the morning before work. Have been ripening tomatoes so they are in roasting for soup also.
Pretty tired now so going to sit and do some research for a while.

What kind of cider press do you have? I'm looking at buying one soon.
IMG_7628.jpeg
IMG_7629.jpeg

I believe this was a kit from maybe the late 70s. The neighbors’ that we used to use had a metal hopper which I would prefer. Hubby remade the hopper since it had seen better days when I first found it. It now works well.

View attachment 164183View attachment 164184
I believe this was a kit from maybe the late 70s. The neighbors’ that we used to use had a metal hopper which I would prefer. Hubby remade the hopper since it had seen better days when I first found it. It now works well.
That looks similar to the one I'm looking at from Happy Valley Ranch. It has a cast hopper for the grinder. I'm going to pour a cement pad in the back yard to bolt it down and put a roof over it.

First thing this morning I had to go work on the well pump generator. It's running rough and sometimes the engine dies. Other times it runs great. I'm thinking the little flapper in low oil shutdown sensor might be sticking. The side by side has a flat tire so I drove the wife's 4 wheeler down to the pump house. Then it wouldn't start and I had to walk home. I aired up the tire on the side by side and went back down and jump started the 4 wheeler. I need to pull the tire off the side by side and take it down tomorrow and get it fixed. The log splitter has a flat tire too, I'll look at buying a new tire for it tomorrow. So the only thing I got accomplished so far today was splitting some firewood. After lunch I'm going out and start digging out boulders where the new parking building is going. I'm sure by then something else will break.

Got up a little early, went to the fitness center to find it mostly empty, got to work out uninterrupted, came back and cleaned up, went to work for a bit, had a rich guy hand me a crisp $100 like I was his waiter, ran some errands, went to the store, had lunch with the girl, did some cleaning and now here I sit with laptop in hand.

I dug out 3 bucket loads of boulders, then spread out 2 loads of gravel, and split some wood. It's only 5.00pm but I'm calling it a day, I'm beat. But first I need to take the tire off the side by side and the log splitter. Then I can go in the house.

Latest posts

Back