What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fairly relaxing and quiet Saturday after my night shift at Woolworths doing trolley collection being unexpectedly busier than normal until about 9pm where I snuck in a 5 minute break instead of the normal 20-25 minute break of which I'm accustomed to

Got stuck into cleaning up the chook shed this morning of an old 2 story rabbit cage that was used as a nesting box and a defunct book case used as resting perch and in amongst other old stuff which ended up on the fire heap as we've only got 2.5 weeks unfortunately to burn off before our fire season officially starts 3 weeks ahead of schedule on November 1st instead of 22nd its usual start date

After cleaning out all the rubbish, old perch and nesting box I took to the pile up of chicken/duck 💩 mixed with straw and dirt using a square mouth short handled shovel and rake/hoe much to my surprise also found old feed bags underneath that also ended up on the fire heap after 2.5 hours of shoveling it looks a lot more cleaner and more level in comparison to earlier this morning

In place of the old nesting box are 4 plastic containers stacked up side by side with holes cut out of them allowing the chooks to lay their eggs in enclosed environment out of the elements

Fairly relaxing and quiet Saturday after my night shift at Woolworths doing trolley collection being unexpectedly busier than normal until about 9pm where I snuck in a 5 minute break instead of the normal 20-25 minute break of which I'm accustomed to

Got stuck into cleaning up the chook shed this morning of an old 2 story rabbit cage that was used as a nesting box and a defunct book case used as resting perch and in amongst other old stuff which ended up on the fire heap as we've only got 2.5 weeks unfortunately to burn off before our fire season officially starts 3 weeks ahead of schedule on November 1st instead of 22nd its usual start date

After cleaning out all the rubbish, old perch and nesting box I took to the pile up of chicken/duck 💩 mixed with straw and dirt using a square mouth short handled shovel and rake/hoe much to my surprise also found old feed bags underneath that also ended up on the fire heap after 2.5 hours of shoveling it looks a lot more cleaner and more level in comparison to earlier this morning

In place of the old nesting box are 4 plastic containers stacked up side by side with holes cut out of them allowing the chooks to lay their eggs in enclosed environment out of the elements
I do the same for nesting boxes....the plastic containers with holes cut out. Sounds like you had a busy day

Made two batches of candles today. Should be good for winter now. I burn them daily except when it’s light at 4AM.
Made a loaf of sourdough: had a friend over with her two little ones so it’s half gone. 😋
View attachment 164616
I’m a lame-o.
Happy anniversary @Neb & @ThePrincess ❤️
Beautiful! Do you dip them or use a mould? Beeswax or tallow?

Got up, hit the latrine, made coffee, consumed coffee, grabbed laptop and now I am waiting to get ready and head out on adventure day with the lady. We are cramming a lot of activities into a Saturday while still planning on being home by late afternoon or early evening.

Heading outside to take care of Buddy, everyone else is fed (critters)! No work today, going to have a nice cup of coffee when I get back inside!! Today is my birthday and I don't want to go anywhere or do anything, just have a quiet easy day!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I will make Tater Tots in celebration!!!! Happy 29th!!!!!

Have an awesome day, Pearl!

Not sure what the day will bring, but I have plenty of projects around here that need doing. Lots of painting and cleanup after all the stuff Dave the builder guy did. I know I have a large pile of foodstuff that needs repackaging before the temps drop and freeze at night, because I'll need the room to put all the flats of green tomatoes I'll be picking. That'll be a 3 day job in itself.

Yesterday I spread out 15 yards of gravel for the pad where I'm building the new atv parking garage. I'll finish that today then start work on the roof over the front porch on the chicken coop. The new tire I bought for the log splitter has the wrong size bearing. I ordered one from TSC. Couldn't find an air filter for the well pump generator from our local parts store so I ordered a couple online.
Still dry here. We had one day of rain in September, zero for July and August and zero so far for October.

Today is my birthday
Happy, Happy Birthday, my friend!
Still dry here.
Very dry here, too. Will pray for some rain for you!

Already walked.
Walked dogs.
Picked up parking lot at Church. There was a parade while I was gone, so it was rough.
Going to make deviled eggs.
Do Ebay books and bank stuff.
Then rest!

I got the VA and DH's doctor started on setting up his IV antibiotics when I was in town on Thursday. He will have to get a mid line put in this week. He didn't stay well as long this time, only 4 months instead of 6-8 months. Not sure if it was the antibiotic or he is running down. Hopefully the meds! Here we go again.

Another horrible sleeping like crap night ..anyway

At least I had a good breakfast and a very hot coffee after this
1728751341533.png

Last weekend Jake and I stopped at a yard sale and there was a non running 5250 watt generator for $20. I couldn’t pass up a pig in a poke $20 generator. I took it home and decided that the coil was bad and ordered one on Amazon for $13. Had a little time today to work on it drained the fuel cleaned the carburetor and installed the new coil and it fired right up. So I ended up with a spare 5250 fo $33 and a little bit of elbow grease.

IMG_5408.jpeg
IMG_5410.jpeg

IMG_5412.jpeg

This morning I listened to https://terrytalksnutrition.com/ on radio.

He doesn’t get the praise of a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist.., but his knowledge can prolong lives, and one’s quality of life.

Other than that I’ve been reading this thread, catching up with those that are an inspiration to provide motivation that’s necessary for me to move on from my humdrum city life.

Was good to hear from @DrJenner

Well I guess this is as good a place to post a heya if any!
Been off social media and such for a bit, have been working away at the homestead -- finally got the permits for the house, quonset hut is done, chicken coop up and garden drawn out. This has been a much slower process than I thought.
My son joined the Navy and is away at boot camp just north of Chicago.
Been working like crazy, getting some medical articles published and some chapters in some book done.
But for today, I made flat bread pizza, my daughter is coming over, as well as some neighbors in our little townhouse complex and we are going to watch the football game tonight!
Hope everyone has a great night.

I have, and have had, family in the medical profession, but I lean towards natural remedies, nutrition and supplements for prevention, and sometimes cures, for what ails the body.

You and others might like hearing from him.
https://terrytalksnutrition.com/category/radio-shows/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back