What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess this is as good a place to post a heya if any!
Been off social media and such for a bit, have been working away at the homestead -- finally got the permits for the house, quonset hut is done, chicken coop up and garden drawn out. This has been a much slower process than I thought.
My son joined the Navy and is away at boot camp just north of Chicago.
Been working like crazy, getting some medical articles published and some chapters in some book done.
But for today, I made flat bread pizza, my daughter is coming over, as well as some neighbors in our little townhouse complex and we are going to watch the football game tonight!
Hope everyone has a great night.
I am glad to see you posting here again. And happy to hear how well your new homestead is going.

People always groan when I post the shop-worn line, "For an accurate time estimate, start with your original estimate, double it, then move it to the next higher unit". Thus "2 months" becomes "4 years". But this old saying is kind of true, you have to admit.

Today we drug some junk over to our town's once a year free hazmat/electronics waste disposal. This year we got rid of a big screen TV, a couple of car batteries, three large jars of dead alkaline and NiMH batteris, some dead computer monitors, and a bit of other miscellaneous junk. This is nice of our town to provide this service (you have to drive all your hazmat/electronics over to their drop off point). This was quite the operation this year. They had lanes of the road blocked off, several manned cop cars sitting around, fire department engines and hazmat response vehicles, probably 50 people in various levels of hazmat gear unloading your car and sorting and carrying things.

Our town also has a free yearly trash pickup (they come to your curb to pick it up). That's for everything else - fencing, BBQ grills, dead lawn mowers, water heaters, couches, tables ... you name it. The metal stuff you put out rarely makes it through the night from when you put it out until they come to pick it up. People wander the neighborhood with trucks, trailers and rental U-Hauls grabbing every metal thing they can find. I guess these bring in money for them at recycle places. I remember one year wheeling my old water heater out to the curb on a dolly and there was a pickup truck with two ladies in it just waiting for this grand haul. I helped them load it into their truck and tie it down, and off they went with their prize.

Happy Birthday @Pearl and a belated happy birthday @zannej This thread had evidently dropped off my "new posts" notification area, since I see there is a lot of stuff recently that I have missed. I guess you have to post in a thread every so often to keep getting notifications (but I didn't think it had been so long since I posted here). Anyway, happy birthday you two!
Thank you!!💗

Saturday October 12th 2024

Finally all together it was nice today and cool temperature

I fed everybody few minutes ago
I dont know what I will eat yet

Besides making fire I did nothing :)

What about just...relaxing!!!

I wish you all that !!!!!
And an wonderful Saturday Night

This song is incredibly moving and beautiful !!!!
It makes me think of all pets/my animals that are R.I.P gone
And I would love to give them just one more time a last kiss and hug
then let them go back peacefully to Heaven

I raked out some more gravel today. The pad should be ready to start building on. Fixed the tire on the log splitter and split some wood. Went down to the pump house and put up some 2" foam board insulation and wrapped the pipes with fiberglass insulation. I'll wait until it gets cold to turn the pilot light on the propane heater, shut the windows and put foam board over the windows. It's still early so I'll go up to the chicken coop and cut some rafters.

Talked to my Florida sis, and she had power restored late yesterday, so a big hooray. Two teenaged neighbor boys were going door to door to help with yard cleanup and helped her with the big oak branches that came down. Wouldn't take payment from her, they said, "That's what neighbors do". She said she wanted to ask them if they were amish (ha) because we see that here often. Their dad came by later, loaded up a 6 ft high pile by 20 ft long of the big branches and took it away for her. Very glad because her son is in Europe at the moment, foosball tournament, and won't be home till Thursday. He normally helps her, but he is also going to have his hands full when he sees his own yard.
A little more kitchen painting today, caught up with my favorite cousin for awhile.

Happy Birthday, Pearl! 🎂

Today was a lazy day. Just feeling tired and frustrated. Microwave died last night so I need to figure out some things to cook in the small air fryer and the stove. Gonna have to get my brother's help. Will have to see if I can go find some stuff that can be cooked in air fryer or on stovetop. I hate cooking on the stove but it looks like I'm going to have to do it.

Major back issues this morning. Couldn’t work on the fence so I went to town for groceries. Picked up a few small fence posts while I was in town. Slept a bit when I got home. Felt better when I woke so I went out and finished the corner post bracing on the fence. Stopped around 4pm, still daylight so I bush hogged for an hour or so before calling it quits. Pan fried a ribeye for dinner, watching a ball game on tv. Still have to go feed and water the calf. I’ll do that at half time.

I raked out some more gravel today. The pad should be ready to start building on. Fixed the tire on the log splitter and split some wood. Went down to the pump house and put up some 2" foam board insulation and wrapped the pipes with fiberglass insulation. I'll wait until it gets cold to turn the pilot light on the propane heater, shut the windows and put foam board over the windows. It's still early so I'll go up to the chicken coop and cut some rafters.
Will be nice to have that done.
Is it just me ....but I dont like the new ....Emoticones
Are emiticones emojis? If so what new ones?

Took hubby fishing today. He tied a specific fly he wanted to try. Got up there and realized he left his sling pack sitting in the garage 🙄. He fished for about 20 minutes then took a nap by the river 😍. He needed it. We went farther up into the mountains and had lunch at a little place we like.
I saw 3 coyotes today 😒. A nice relaxing day.

Took hubby fishing today. He tied a specific fly he wanted to try. Got up there and realized he left his sling pack sitting in the garage 🙄. He fished for about 20 minutes then took a nap by the river 😍. He needed it. We went farther up into the mountains and had lunch at a little place we like.
I saw 3 coyotes today 😒. A nice relaxing day.
Sounds like a wonderful day.
I can't wait to get back in the woods. At least go sit next to a creek

More work on the fence today. No more cuts to deal with thankfully. The only sharp objects today were the chainsaw and barbwire, I know how to handle them.

Somehow, think on tuesday, I pulled a muscle in my lower back. Very lower back, almost gluteus maximus territory. Hurts like heck but I haven't done anything about it. Haven't figured out the logistics of soaking my butt in a tub of epsom salts since I have a walk in shower. 🤣 Solomon's Seal is getting me through the day though. Today was spent digging with post hole diggers. I'm sure I'll have a new pulled something or other when I wake up tomorrow. Such is life! :)
Cut an oak whiskey barrel in half, set it out on the porch and fill it with hot water and Epsom salt. Strip down, keeping only a whistle hung around your neck. Back up to the barrel and sit down quickly. When ready to get out, blow the whistle as needed until someone comes and pulls you out. This ain't rocket science. Enjoy your soak.

Cut an oak whiskey barrel in half, set it out on the porch and fill it with hot water and Epsom salt. Strip down, keeping only a whistle hung around your neck. Back up to the barrel and sit down quickly. When ready to get out, blow the whistle as needed until someone comes and pulls you out. This ain't rocket science. Enjoy your soak.

As long as I don't have to dip them in bee's wax! 🤣

i spent the day folding and packing awy summer clothes and pulling out the fall-winter stuff.
My summer and winter clothes are the same clothes. I guess that makes me a guy. I do tend to wear shorts more in the summer and long pants more in the winter, if that makes me any more civilized. They're actually the same exact design and fabric weight - DuluthFlex Fire Hose Cargo shorts/pants - just one has legs and the other doesn't. I wear short sleeve shirts year round. Duluth Pocket Tees. It's always the exact same shirt - the variation between days is only the color. I have been known to get a wild hair every now and then and try the same shirt in it's pocketless variation! And one of my old ones even has the V-neck variation!!!

When it's cold, I throw one of those heavy flannel shirts over the top of my T-shirt. Not really a "shirt" ... I think they call then "shirt-jacks". If I have to top things off with a warm coat for outside, that's what the Carhartt is for. That thing is warm and bulletproof. And heavy - a lightweight down parka it ain't.

Other than that, a few pairs of socks and underwear from Costco completes my wardrobe. Oh yeah, I do have one other pair of slightly nicer pants and shirt (both from Duluth as well), and that one special outfit covers all needs outside of a normal day - weddings, funerals, reunions, etc. All the same outfit for those similar events. The really cool thing is all these clothes go together in the wash. Just turn the washer to cold/cold and the dryer to low and you're done! No ironing needed. Folding is optional.

It's great to be a guy!

Back from London, where we did a lot of walking, some running for a plane, too much subway riding due to train breakdown, and some really good eating!
Have to say the vibe' was lovely- not noisy,incredibly clean, and people really friendly and in good form - I had thought there would be some hangdog expressions due to the economy but no. Weather was great also. A few pics, but the main reason was going was to the knitting and stitching show. I'll post those photos elsewhere for the creatives.
Today will be catching up on emails and admiring the pheasants that arrived in my absence - we are 'minding' them for the gun club.
1728815770578.jpeg

1728815803809.jpeg

Lego

today I have a load of stuff to do. Laundry first. I almost always do laundry on Sundays, since all the Amish seem to do theirs on Mondays. Don't want to overstress our water system....
Plus need to deworm the goats I am going to breed. We have decided to only breed 5 this year since we still have so many young ones from this year. They tend to all have a lot of kids so we might still end up with 15 kids
Husband has decided we should rearrange the house to make it easier to plug in freezers when the power is off. This is going to be a MAJOR project since I need to empty out an entire bedroom we use for storage. And it has mostly my extra cooking and baking stuff and animal care stuff in it plus food storage in buckets. Not sure where all this is supposed to go, but he wants to put all the freezers ( 6 of them) in that room. It will fit but not much else will, it's not a large bedroom. We could use the guest bedroom but then we would have to rearrange everything again later. Not sure yet.
I will take things out of that room while son and husband are working on the greenhouse. It needs to be done, getting cold out. Son still hasn't started looking for a job...now he is waiting for his test results. He thinks he might have failed, I hope not, it cost $300 ....he needs to get a job and start earning money
Husband and myself both had jobs as soon as we graduated since we had intern jobs before. But due to the long distance driving son couldnt really do that , I hope he doesn't have a problem finding one near us since he still helps a lot

you guys are far more interesting than me. i spent the day folding and packing awy summer clothes and pulling out the fall-winter stuff.
sigh

this week is clean the chimney and bring in wood.
settle in time coming
I'll be doing those chores today.

At the moment, I'm at work, 6.5 hours from home, on day 6 out of 7 straight. We're having a delay so I'm in the truck listening to a 90s country radio station. We'll be back to work shortly. Tomorrow after work I'll head home and get there some time around midnight. Tuesday I have to drive 80 miles to see a lawyer about signing off on some paperwork that I didn't do correctly some months ago. Not anything complicated. Then on Wednesday I'm headed out with my GF for a couple days of vacation!

My summer and winter clothes are the same clothes. I guess that makes me a guy. I do tend to wear shorts more in the summer and long pants more in the winter, if that makes me any more civilized. They're actually the same exact design and fabric weight - DuluthFlex Fire Hose Cargo shorts/pants - just one has legs and the other doesn't. I wear short sleeve shirts year round. Duluth Pocket Tees. It's always the exact same shirt - the variation between days is only the color. I have been known to get a wild hair every now and then and try the same shirt in it's pocketless variation! And one of my old ones even has the V-neck variation!!!

When it's cold, I throw one of those heavy flannel shirts over the top of my T-shirt. Not really a "shirt" ... I think they call then "shirt-jacks". If I have to top things off with a warm coat for outside, that's what the Carhartt is for. That thing is warm and bulletproof. And heavy - a lightweight down parka it ain't.

Other than that, a few pairs of socks and underwear from Costco completes my wardrobe. Oh yeah, I do have one other pair of slightly nicer pants and shirt (both from Duluth as well), and that one special outfit covers all needs outside of a normal day - weddings, funerals, reunions, etc. All the same outfit for those similar events. The really cool thing is all these clothes go together in the wash. Just turn the washer to cold/cold and the dryer to low and you're done! No ironing needed. Folding is optional.

It's great to be a guy!
And retired. If people don't like my limited wardrobe than I don't have to go there.

I am currently making brunch. Today we are having a crustless quiche with eggs, heavy cream, sliced breakfast sausage links, fried and chopped pork belly, diced onions and tri-color bell peppers, Monterey jack, cheddar cheese and fresh ground pink salt & black pepper. I am also serving clementines and no sugar added white grape juice.

Hopefully the rest of the day is just a lazy fest of nothingness.

Back