What's for dinner tonight?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m still waiting for my daughter and 4 grandkids to arrive about 9pm tonight. I’ve got a huge pot of spaghetti sauce, fresh picked salad and a huge tray of garlic bread with shredded mozzarella on it ready to go in the oven. I usually don’t eat near this late but it’s a play weekend so all norms are off.

I believe I'll try Black Pepper stir fry using cut up NY Strip steak, mushrooms, bell peppers, banana peppers, red sweet peppers, onions, etc.

Black-pepper-beef-stir-fry-portrait1.jpg

I cooked a ground venison meat and deer sausage Jambalaya for our prepper meeting yesterday. I used freeze dried shorting powder since I already had it opened. I plan to use it in as many ways as possible. Its giving me a good idea how my cooking is going to be using it post SHTF. I won't lie, I mixed in a half a stick of real butter at the end after tasing it. It was definitely eatable, but why not improve it if I can. Baked a loaf of French sourdough bread in the oven.

I cooked a ground venison meat and deer sausage Jambalaya for our prepper meeting yesterday. I used freeze dried shorting powder since I already had it opened. I plan to use it in as many ways as possible. Its giving me a good idea how my cooking is going to be using it post SHTF. I won't lie, I mixed in a half a stick of real butter at the end after tasing it. It was definitely eatable, but why not improve it if I can. Baked a loaf of French sourdough bread in the oven.

Sounds pretty good! And real butter is much better than margarine!!

We had a house full this weekend so the fridge is still full of spaghetti, pizza, salad, fruits and then there’s the cake and brownies too. Needless to say, I wasn’t dieting over the last couple days. Was great to have 4 grandkids visiting for a couple days.

I just discovered Nutella! I’ve known about it but thought it was just a peanut butter and jelly mix. It’s more like a chocolate cake icing, I spread it on a banana this morning and it’s really good! I did notice the 100 cal per spoon though...

Krista Maguire, a nutritionist, gives Nutella a thumbs down...better off buying peanut butter.

https://www.openfit.com/nutella-nutrition-facts

Excerpt: "A serving of Nutella (two tablespoons) contains 200 calories, 12 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 15 milligrams sodium, 23 grams carbohydrates, 21 grams sugars, and 2 grams of protein. A serving of peanut butter (two tablespoons) contains 188 calories, 16 grams fat, 3 grams saturated fat, 8 grams carbs, 2 grams sugars, 7 grams protein, and varying amounts of sodium. No salt-added varieties have about five milligrams of sodium, while salted PB has about 152 milligrams.
When you consider Nutella versus any nut butter, plain nut butter generally has more healthy fats and protein and less carbs and sugars. And pretty much any nut butter tastes great on the same things you’d put Nutella on. “I don’t find any redeeming qualities about Nutella,” says Krista Maguire, R.D., C.S.S.D. and nutrition manager at Openfit. “Even if it has a little bit of calcium and iron and it’s low in sodium, there are so many more healthful alternatives that you can consume to obtain those nutrients.”

Krista Maguire, a nutritionist, gives Nutella a thumbs down...better off buying peanut butter.

https://www.openfit.com/nutella-nutrition-facts

Excerpt: "A serving of Nutella (two tablespoons) contains 200 calories, 12 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 15 milligrams sodium, 23 grams carbohydrates, 21 grams sugars, and 2 grams of protein. A serving of peanut butter (two tablespoons) contains 188 calories, 16 grams fat, 3 grams saturated fat, 8 grams carbs, 2 grams sugars, 7 grams protein, and varying amounts of sodium. No salt-added varieties have about five milligrams of sodium, while salted PB has about 152 milligrams.
When you consider Nutella versus any nut butter, plain nut butter generally has more healthy fats and protein and less carbs and sugars. And pretty much any nut butter tastes great on the same things you’d put Nutella on. “I don’t find any redeeming qualities about Nutella,” says Krista Maguire, R.D., C.S.S.D. and nutrition manager at Openfit. “Even if it has a little bit of calcium and iron and it’s low in sodium, there are so many more healthful alternatives that you can consume to obtain those nutrients.”
I have never considered nutella a healthy food, or even in the same category as peanut butter. I've always thought of it more like chocolate with nuts in it. . . good tasting, maybe some protein, but too much sugar to consume regularly or in large quantities.

Last night the wife and I were invited to go on a dinner cruise with a group of about 35 "special" investors. We had grilled tri-tip steak, halibut and salmon shipped in from BC, and an open bar. It was a great meal. We got off the boat at 8 pm and drove all night to get home at 6 am this morning. I'm a little beat right now.

I boiled 10 pounds of fresh brown shrimp (21-25) and made a remoulade dressing, hard boiled some eggs, chopped up iceberg lettuce, cut grape tomatoes, sliced red onion. We ate shrimp remoulade salad.

That sounds delicious!!

Latest posts

Back