What's for dinner tonight?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to experiment....fry up a bunch of zucchini, green tomatoes, squash, and eggplant, chill it, add cubed ham, beef, pork, spices, bell pepper, sweet red pepper, onions, and three or four kinds of cubed cheese, sliced cucumber, throw some bleu cheese dressing on it and see what I have come up with!!

You guys are making me jealous with your talk of pizza and Roadhouse steaks. I'm sitting on top of a mountain (which is why I have marginal cell service) eating cheese and crackers with a can of chicken and a can of smoked ham and washed down with spring water. Still searching for my bull. Beautiful country here but it is rugged and steep. I feel like I've been beaten up and have blood leaking in several places.
I'll be home in a couple hours and will start looking again in the morning.

I’d say shooting it that way Doc would be splattercocked! Spatchcocked is just a more efficient way to cook a turkey and keeps it from drying out cooking more evenly. You cut out the backbone out of the bird and flatten it out before cooking. It also makes all the skin that golden crispy goodness that is only on the top of the bird when cooked the traditional way. I tried it once and have never cooked one any other way since.

I had some ham and bean soup that was two years old. Luckily it had been vacuum bagged and frozen over that time and was as good as when I first made it. I had a one year old turkey thigh for lunch too. I figured it was time to start using the stuff in the freezer. And I was too tired to really cook today.

I was still hungry so made a quick and simple thing for the first time. I made two pieces of toast, put a little butter spread on them and put a slice of white American cheese in between them while still hot. I won’t lie and say it’s as good as a pan fried in real butter, but it was really good. I will do this again for sure, great for lazy or busy days.

mackerel and boiled potatoes.
You brits have some strange tastes. I try to be open minded about new foods but boiled potatoes sound really bland. Was the fish batter fried at least? On the other hand I have clogged arteries from what I eat.... maybe some bland foods would have been wiser in the long run.
On the other hand, I had spices fried chicken and red beans and rice from Popeyes

Marinated some boneless chicken breasts and potato wedges in a lemon Greek mix overnight. Today I grilled the chicken and baked the potatoes. Added some Parmesan zucchini wedges and a Greek vinaigrette with salad too. I also took some store bought pita bread and grilled it in a pan with some butter and olive oil to go with the fresh taziki sauce I made and had a feast for lunch and dinner today. Still have enough for a couple more meals of it. I love weekends!

Really lazy today, went up to Waffle House and got a steak and eggs breakfast for supper, and one to go for later! Waffle House may be a "fast food" outfit, but they do have some pretty good food...I love Waffle House!!

Latest posts

Back