What's for dinner tonight?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pasty made in Devon, a pasty made in Cornwall is slightly different, a pasty made anywhere else is just a copy.
the pasty originated in Devon and Cornwall and was made for tin miners.
Ok, but what is a pasty?

Ok, but what is a pasty?
its a Baked pastry, Beef-Potatoes-Swede-and onion, in a shortcrust pastry case, which is crimped on the edge to form a seal before baking.
it was traditionally eaten by tin miners(and other miners) who could not return to the surface for meal breaks.
it was also eaten by agricultural labourers.

its a Baked pastry, Beef-Potatoes-Swede-and onion, in a shortcrust pastry case, which is crimped on the edge to form a seal before baking.
it was traditionally eaten by tin miners(and other miners) who could not return to the surface for meal breaks.
So kind of a beef pot pie ?

So kind of a beef pot pie ?
its not really a pie, at least its not classified as a pie, its something that is traditional to this area of the country, they do make them elsewhere, Greggs make them but they are a pale imitation of the original.
its very popular in Devon and Cornwall, Cornwall said they started it but there has always been friendly rivalry between the two counties.

I feel like you have to explain this every few months. Like every time you mention that you ate one.

I'm not complaining about you, I'm complaining about all these people who haven't learned what they are yet :D
The thing about getting older is a lot of things are new or unknown to us again! Lol
I was craving salmon with a baked potato and salad yesterday. I cheated and ordered takeout vs cooking my own though.

I expect the USA has something similar but not exactly the same.
Close enough to a pot pie for me, which you can use just about anything for a filling. Turkey, potatoes and gravy is my favorite. I have some pork and gravy that is likely to become a pie for dinner tonight now after this thought.

Supper yesterday: oyster mushrooms
We were up in Northern Virginia visiting the kids, and my wife spotted these near my daughter's house:
ZsIoMQz.jpg

It took us a while to figure out what kind of mushroom they were but we managed to get a 100% match with oyster mushrooms, and were able to eliminate all the similar mushrooms.

We did an overnight spore print just to be sure.
pz2KKtl.jpg

So we cooked up a mess of them. My wife sauteed some(left) and I grilled some (right).

VOTYfg7.jpg

They are really tasty! I've never seen them here in Georgia, and I am trying to narrow down the exact subspecies. Right now, it appears to be the aspen oyster mushroom, which unfortunately doesn't grow this far south. Hopefully it is the Indian oyster mushroom which does.

So, cooking them:
Spritz some olive oil on them, add salt and pepper, and throw them on the grill until each side just begins to brown. Pretty simple! Just cut and eat. You can put one between two pieces of bread and make a delicious sandwich.

Supper yesterday: oyster mushrooms
We were up in Northern Virginia visiting the kids, and my wife spotted these near my daughter's house:
ZsIoMQz.jpg

It took us a while to figure out what kind of mushroom they were but we managed to get a 100% match with oyster mushrooms, and were able to eliminate all the similar mushrooms.

We did an overnight spore print just to be sure.
pz2KKtl.jpg

So we cooked up a mess of them. My wife sauteed some(left) and I grilled some (right).

VOTYfg7.jpg

They are really tasty! I've never seen them here in Georgia, and I am trying to narrow down the exact subspecies. Right now, it appears to be the aspen oyster mushroom, which unfortunately doesn't grow this far south. Hopefully it is the Indian oyster mushroom which does.

So, cooking them:
Spritz some olive oil on them, add salt and pepper, and throw them on the grill until each side just begins to brown. Pretty simple! Just cut and eat. You can put one between two pieces of bread and make a delicious sandwich.
Wow that's pretty cool. I'm okay with foraging plants but mushrooms scare me. I've heard too many stories of people who thought they knew which one they were getting but it was actually something poisonous. It looks really good though.

Wow that's pretty cool. I'm okay with foraging plants but mushrooms scare me. I've heard too many stories of people who thought they knew which one they were getting but it was actually something poisonous. It looks really good though.
LOL, my son wasn't convinced so he watched us eat them and waited a while to see if we keeled over before he would touch them.

Latest posts

Back