What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if someone comes on your property with a weapon, then you can rightfully shoot them to defend yourself. If that happens always call an attorney first before the police...just to be protected legally.

Here in Georgia we have the right to protect our property...but I would still advise anyone to say it was self defense...and call their attorney first.

You are correct about every state being different. With the case of a drugged up dangerous man coming on my property to steal, I would shoot them. In dangerous times such as these the police will never be able to stop that person from coming back and perhaps targeting you.

Yep, if someone comes on my property to steal any of my animals, you can believe I will feel threatened, and in hard times maybe even out of the garden.

Did you know that under the right conditions ( hot pile) a human body can completely compost in 30 days. Gosh I love gardening!:cool:

Mississippi has one of the clearest and best Castle Doctrine laws. You are allowed to use lethal force to prevent any felony against you or your property. It is presumed that you have reason to fear for your life if anyone is unlawfully and forcefully entering your home, vehicle, or business.
This part seals the deal!
The court shall award reasonable attorney's fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant acted in accordance with subsection (1) (e) or (f) of this section. A defendant who has previously been adjudicated "not guilty" of any crime by reason of subsection (1) (e) or (f) of this section shall be immune from any civil action for damages arising from same conduct.​

We have a spot where we dump deer carcasses. They are gone without a trace in days.

And then there is this lake nearby in the middle of a swamp...
PgtAaCe.png

When we had Harvey our hay guy had to house sit the property for the doctor he works for. Lots of looting was going on in the area. They were going to house to house by boat. That was the only way around. Sheriff officer said if you have to shoot him, just push him back into the water and let him float down on his way.

We have a spot where we dump deer carcasses. They are gone without a trace in days.

And then there is this lake nearby in the middle of a swamp...

According to the interweb, there are 27 lakes named "Deadman" in the US, and only 9 in Canada...! Do you suppose we're 3 times more likely to need a lake to deposit bodies in here in the States, or are Canuks just more casual about where they deposit their "dead men"?

According to the interweb, there are 27 lakes named "Deadman" in the US, and only 9 in Canada...! Do you suppose we're 3 times more likely to need a lake to deposit bodies in here in the States, or are Canuks just more casual about where they deposit their "dead men"?
Frozen lakes are going to preserve the bodies not dispose of them.

The dullness is driving lots of people crazy, and they are doing crazy things as a result. Conversations go something like: "other than CoVid19, what's new?" Answer "It rained. Nothing else." Makes for short conversations. People are tired of talking about the virus. I don't get how anyone can be 'bored' at home, there is so much to do!

I'm fortunate. I live in an alternative universe of solitude, normally half the days I don't see a single person other than the spouse (by choice, and it hasn't changed). Maybe a few phone calls, and a few text messages (from those friends who prefer to text over talk (sigh)). Other than a couple of things, mostly minor, it makes no difference to my daily life. And the majority of that I don't miss. Maybe the biggest thing is that Ahmed doesn't call me 5 times a day for car insurance/health insurance/extended warranty/loans/solar/etc. I really, really, really do not miss the spam calls. They've dropped to nothing, amen!

When we have to worry about shooting people in our yards for stealing, I think calling the police won't even be an option. But, if the police are still operation, and stores selling food and supplies are closed, you are pretty much in survival mode. I offer this for your consideration as you ponder your shoot/don't shoot situations.

My uncle was a cop for decades (some of those years before Miranda! [his favorite years]) and he said everyone he worked with carried a "throw down weapon"; anything from a pocket knife to a screwdriver. Make of that what you will.

Just remember, when considering whether or not a situation calls for pulling the trigger, the first consideration is whether or not you can actually do it. Looks good on tv and the movies, and sounds good in your head, but when you have someone at gun point, **** gets real. As the saying goes, never point your firearm at anyone you do not intend to shoot. The last thing you want is to choke and have someone take it from you.

Have a plan for what you will do if you have to do it, before the situation ever arises.

So I ventured out to Walmart this morning. Got there about ten minutes after they opened to let the crowd disperse first. It’s been about two weeks since I left the property here. not only did I want some fresh foods and to top off a few items I really wanted to see how things looked out there. The Walmart had a partitioned entry line now with markings on the concrete for distancing and just one door open. I was impressed they are spraying down the carts with some kind of sanitizer now using a pump up sprayer. Welcome to the new normal.... inside the store it wasn’t busy as most people are too lazy to get up early on a Saturday apparently. I did see about half the people in masks now, but very few wearing gloves. One guy was wearing a respirator with the cartridges, but most were just the low grade surgical mask. Still an improvement from two weeks ago though. The store still looked like a war zone. Hardly any meats, few cleaners, no toilet paper of course. I did manage to get three hundred dollars worth of stuff but at least 50% of the shelves were empty. There wasn’t a lot of traffic on the road but it was early. I filled three cans of gas and topped off the van while out and was happy to see 1.49 a gallon. There are people still out and about but the world has a new rhythm now.

Rebuilt a buddys shed roof, rebuilt the wooden steps on his terrace, painted the metal railing around his parents terrace, built a few broadhead bolts for the crossbow, sharpened a few knives, translating my book to english...staying busy chasing the wife...GP

The dullness is driving lots of people crazy, and they are doing crazy things as a result. Conversations go something like: "other than CoVid19, what's new?" Answer "It rained. Nothing else." Makes for short conversations. People are tired of talking about the virus. I don't get how anyone can be 'bored' at home, there is so much to do!

I'm fortunate. I live in an alternative universe of solitude, normally half the days I don't see a single person other than the spouse (by choice, and it hasn't changed). Maybe a few phone calls, and a few text messages (from those friends who prefer to text over talk (sigh)). Other than a couple of things, mostly minor, it makes no difference to my daily life. And the majority of that I don't miss. Maybe the biggest thing is that Ahmed doesn't call me 5 times a day for car insurance/health insurance/extended warranty/loans/solar/etc. I really, really, really do not miss the spam calls. They've dropped to nothing, amen!
You lucky buggar! I’m still getting robocalls!

Rebuilt a buddys shed roof, rebuilt the wooden steps on his terrace, painted the metal railing around his parents terrace, built a few broadhead bolts for the crossbow, sharpened a few knives, translating my book to english...staying busy chasing the wife...GP
Well at least that last bit sounded fun....

When we had Harvey our hay guy had to house sit the property for the doctor he works for. Lots of looting was going on in the area. They were going to house to house by boat. That was the only way around. Sheriff officer said if you have to shoot him, just push him back into the water and let him float down on his way.

Guarantee you there are places on this mountain white man have never walked. At the bottom of these ravines and draws I also guarantee there are lots of bones. Every so often a hunter gets lost and you will read about somebody finding them 3 years later. Whats left after the wild boars get finished with them. If I was back at home in the swamps no problem what so ever crabs and gators make pretty quick work of stuff like that. Nature can be pretty unforgiving and so can man. (and woman)

My husband and I were laughing about that this morning too. Nada on the spam calls here too. Don't ya love it. On the other hand we are about to work ourselves to death around the place. Lots of Ben Gay rubbing going on here :p:p

Wife daughter and I live in SoCal. Shtf central. Already seeing crazies on the street driving 100 mph on local streets, lots of angry confrontational stares in cars, lots of road rage. In the grocery stores weirdos are getting loud and everyone is NOT practicing social distancing. I wear a N95 mask and sun glasses in public. The veneer of society is starting to wear off. It’s like at Xmas when everyone is stressed and angry in SoCal.

Everyone, there are a lot of desperate people on the edge of ruin, that are not prepared. They are coming for us very soon. Let that sink in. Seriously. 65% of people are going to starve soon.

The feds haven’t given enough freebies to pacify the lemmings who are completely unprepared. We live in an affluent area, have 6 months water stored, 2 years food, 90 days gas for the gennie, and enough high powered weaponry to defend against gangs for about 20 minutes lol, but better than nothing.

Still need a permanent bug out location versus temporary in the high sierras. Still need 20 sheets of plywood delivered to the crib.

Everyday prepping something different. Fire extinguishers in the crib, in all cars. High grade EMS medical triage kits in each car. BOBs with water granola nuts Gatorade tennis shoes back packs flashlights in each car. Just need to hide a weapon in each car.

Haven't seen my daughter in 3 weeks because she is still out in the public and we don't want her or her husband around mom, 87.

She called this morning and said they we on the lake so they came to our cove so we could chat at a distance.

I have never seen so many boaters in my life. We didn't have to get close to any, but I'm glad I don't live in California or we would all have been arrested.

It's a beautiful day in Middle Tennessee and I've been tilling the gardens and getting ready to pressure wash my moldy house.

So I ventured out to Walmart this morning. Got there about ten minutes after they opened to let the crowd disperse first. It’s been about two weeks since I left the property here. not only did I want some fresh foods and to top off a few items I really wanted to see how things looked out there. The Walmart had a partitioned entry line now with markings on the concrete for distancing and just one door open. I was impressed they are spraying down the carts with some kind of sanitizer now using a pump up sprayer. Welcome to the new normal.... inside the store it wasn’t busy as most people are too lazy to get up early on a Saturday apparently. I did see about half the people in masks now, but very few wearing gloves. One guy was wearing a respirator with the cartridges, but most were just the low grade surgical mask. Still an improvement from two weeks ago though. The store still looked like a war zone. Hardly any meats, few cleaners, no toilet paper of course. I did manage to get three hundred dollars worth of stuff but at least 50% of the shelves were empty. There wasn’t a lot of traffic on the road but it was early. I filled three cans of gas and topped off the van while out and was happy to see 1.49 a gallon. There are people still out and about but the world has a new rhythm now.

It's the same here in Germany.
I read the Infected hit the 300 k marc and Death 8k in the US.
I Pray that it don't hit the World so hard like I fear but I am really Scared how it ends.

One year ago a Sheep was stolen from my Ground... I don't wake up but I am not sure how I would react when I would notize. Get out armed of course but to shoot them to death? I think the Situation will show how you react.
Pigs are also a good way to get out of trash by the way. ;)

I went to walmart today and same here. About half the people wearing masks, many wearing gloves too.

Guarantee you there are places on this mountain white man have never walked. At the bottom of these ravines and draws I also guarantee there are lots of bones. Every so often a hunter gets lost and you will read about somebody finding them 3 years later. Whats left after the wild boars get finished with them. If I was back at home in the swamps no problem what so ever crabs and gators make pretty quick work of stuff like that. Nature can be pretty unforgiving and so can man. (and woman)
It's a little scary how easy it is to get "lost." No wonder serial killers get away with it for so long sometimes.

Haven't seen my daughter in 3 weeks because she is still out in the public and we don't want her or her husband around mom, 87.

She called this morning and said they we on the lake so they came to our cove so we could chat at a distance.

I have never seen so many boaters in my life. We didn't have to get close to any, but I'm glad I don't live in California or we would all have been arrested.

It's a beautiful day in Middle Tennessee and I've been tilling the gardens and getting ready to pressure wash my moldy house.

Washing the house is on my list too. I told someone earlier we are about to work ourselves to death :D Many more months of this we won't be able to move. The weather has been beautiful for 3 days though.

Washing the house is on my list too. I told someone earlier we are about to work ourselves to death :D Many more months of this we won't be able to move. The weather has been beautiful for 3 days though.
I’m trying to accomplish something every day but honestly am not overdoing it by any means. It’s looking like we may be like this for a long time yet so relax and pace yourself.

I’m trying to accomplish something every day but honestly am not overdoing it by any means. It’s looking like we may be like this for a long time yet so relax and pace yourself.

Hear ya Brent and good advice. Problem is we have had an awful wet spring with almost daily rainfall. So with 3 straight days of sunny weather in a row we were trying to play catch up. Rain moves back in in the morning so Sunday afternoon naps and a day of rest. Then we shall see what the new week brings.Way it's looking now predicting 6 straight days of probable rain.

We drove to Costco today. As usual, we both wore gloves and N95s, and about half the shoppers there were doing that as well. We got what we could and came back home. Lucy, one of our Nigerians is set to kid any day now, and we finished setting up a kidding stable with all the stuff she might need for the delivery. It's our first animal delivery, too; and we're pretty apprehensive.

We have 14 laying hens now and ten more pullets who'll be laying in about two or three more months. We're averaging almost a dozen eggs a day, and this coming week we're getting some unslaked lime to start water-glassing them for long-term storage. Meanwhile, we're pretty popular with the neighbors; a couple dozen eggs to the guy down the road and he came by with a rear-time tiller to do the rest of our garden!

We still have about three weeks frost left, but we did put in three different potato sets and two onion sets. Next week, they're coming by to install a backup hand-pump for our well, which will go in the same hole as our regular pump. I have been getting really paranoid about not having any water if the electrical grid goes down. But everyone here (this is a pretty rural county in Idaho) seems to be as prepared as possible, and we're all hoping to be able to pull through together.

Back