What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine "closing" beaches, lakes and rivers. Pure government idiocy and excessive heavy handedness. I hear their closing national parks too.

Not just the larger parks...we have a small nature/game preserve in our neck of the woods. Maybe a few hundred acres, no more. I take my dogs out there and we usually don’t see a soul around. Closed now for the duration of this ****.

I can't imagine "closing" beaches, lakes and rivers. Pure government idiocy and excessive heavy handedness. I hear their closing national parks too!
Have the idiots in charge started closing spring turkey and spring bear hunting yet? Haven't heard anything yet.

Fishing is closed in Washington but hunting is still open.

Definitely should have been a requirement weeks ago.
People didn't really take it seriously until more recently. We didn't even have our first case in this county until 2 1/2 weeks ago and then the first several were all travel related. It wasn't until this last week that community spread really became an issue. Of course, if people had been taking it seriously, we could have avoided getting to that point.

People didn't really take it seriously until more recently. We didn't even have our first case in this county until 2 1/2 weeks ago and then the first several were all travel related. It wasn't until this last week that community spread really became an issue. Of course, if people had been taking it seriously, we could have avoided getting to that point.
Both the governments response and the average people’s has been way under what it should have been. I understand this is a new virus, but many scientists have been telling of the dangers of this for decades. With so many people on the planet and travel being so easy it should have been common sense to be more prepared.

our local national park is now closed and being policed, next county to mine Cornwall has put out a "no tourists" warning, only "necessary" journeys are allowed and that dosent mean travelling from London to the South West to visit your second home, or to a camp site- which are all closed anyway!!

I know this is new for just me, but I have placed a couple of orders on Amazon that were not considered "essential" items. They are prime delivery items, but it is noted it can take several days to a couple of weeks for delivery because they are focused on delivering 'essential" items first. I find it hard to believe it is all they can do to keep up with delivering toothpaste, shampoo, and baby formula etc. I am starting to think that this is just away for Amazon to save money on delivering other goods.

I see the postal service here is complaining about the amount of parcels they have to deliver, funny I thought that was their job?? got a couple of small parcels to come this week then I think i'll call a halt for the duration of the lockdown.

I see the postal service here is complaining about the amount of parcels they have to deliver, funny I thought that was their job?? got a couple of small parcels to come this week then I think i'll call a halt for the duration of the lockdown.

Postal service here is complaining that they don't have enough business to stay in business.

Oh DP that has to be very upsetting! Agree that it seems odd and unfair to let prisoners out but seem to not think of the workers.
I have worked in public service for 25 years. After college, my first job was at a state prison with 545 male inmates. The main reason they are letting inmates out, especially those with medical conditions is that the state will have to pay for medical coverage. Here in NC, all inmates that have serious medical conditions are transferred to Central Prison in Raleigh. I don't think the prison system is set up to treat inmates with Covid 19. No ventilators or intensive care. Even if an inmate was transferred to a public state hospital such as UNC Chapel Hill, who pays? And who pays for the correctional officers that sit by his bedside or outside the door because he is in custody. The biggest requirement to treat Covid 19 is isolation. The flip side is don't give proper medical treatment, inmate dies and the family sues.

I know this is new for just me, but I have placed a couple of orders on Amazon that were not considered "essential" items. They are prime delivery items, but it is noted it can take several days to a couple of weeks for delivery because they are focused on delivering 'essential" items first. I find it hard to believe it is all they can do to keep up with delivering toothpaste, shampoo, and baby formula etc. I am starting to think that this is just away for Amazon to save money on delivering other goods.
They really are doing an unprecedented volume of business now. Even if it’s slower than normal I’m just greatful things are still coming at all.

I typed this before, but don't think it posted.

I crawled out the upstairs bedroom window and sprayed the mold and mildew on the exterior of the house. I hate heights and was scared to death. The only thing that got me through this was the thought of a green house.

I used a 2.5 gal garden sprayer with bleach, dish detergent and water. I really should apply another round, but probably won't.

My kittens found the open window and went on the roof and thought it was playground.

Once again I say.....OUCH.

Postal service here is complaining that they don't have enough business to stay in business.

I now instruct all my online purchases to NOT ship USPS. Due to the high number of packages, many times the big package boxes are full and if the delivery person has to take a package back to the post office, you have to go get it the next day. They don't redeliver it and they will not drop it off at your home. UPS delivers to your home, so does Fedex and so does Amazon. It maybe be time to end the USPS and put mail service out for bid.

I typed this before, but don't think it posted.

I crawled out the upstairs bedroom window and sprayed the mold and mildew on the exterior of the house. I hate heights and was scared to death. The only thing that got me through this was the thought of a green house.

I used a 2.5 gal garden sprayer with bleach, dish detergent and water. I really should apply another round, but probably won't.

My kittens found the open window and went on the roof and thought it was playground.

Once again I say.....OUCH.

OMG Robin! You really need to be careful. This is no time to end up in the emergency room!

What's new at my house:

There is now a sign on my small community bank that says CLOSED TEMPORARILY:eek: There are now 2 cases of Covid-19 in my county. Spent the day spreading composted horse poop on my asparagus beds and edging and weeding them. Hubby went to TSC and got wire for the chicken yard extension, they now have where you order and pay online and then like Walmart you pick up on the curb. Loving that service :D He also went to the small local Lumber yard/hardware store. Same service you call and order and they bring it to the curb. He never left the truck. Only thing he had to disinfect was the debit card at the lumber yard after he passed it through the window. Said the longest line was at the lumber yard curb. I guess everyone is working on projects since they are home. May as well do something positive.

So we continue to social distance and keep busy. I can say that I will miss seeing my 7 grandkids for Easter. Maybe by the end of the summer I can visit safely. Stay safe.

I needed to replace the toilet in the downstairs bathroom as it will keep running and isn’t good for the septic. I’ve repaired it a couple times and it will stop for a while but it’s been on my list for a while. So I went to Home Depot early and it was really quiet inside. I wore a mask but just carried sanitizer and used it often. I got one of the dual flush toilets to conserve the water in the septic system. I will let it sit in the box for three days before installing it to decontaminate the packaging just in case. I did go thru the drive thru at the bank and took out some more money. They are open for business still at least but I’m concerned enough about it. I won’t empty it out but as they say I am diversifying.... you have no idea how hard it was to resist getting a burger while out! I was good and cooked a lot today. Going to bed full and content here.

What's new at my house:

There is now a sign on my small community bank that says CLOSED TEMPORARILY:eek: There are now 2 cases of Covid-19 in my county. Spent the day spreading composted horse poop on my asparagus beds and edging and weeding them. Hubby went to TSC and got wire for the chicken yard extension, they now have where you order and pay online and then like Walmart you pick up on the curb. Loving that service :D He also went to the small local Lumber yard/hardware store. Same service you call and order and they bring it to the curb. He never left the truck. Only thing he had to disinfect was the debit card at the lumber yard after he passed it through the window. Said the longest line was at the lumber yard curb. I guess everyone is working on projects since they are home. May as well do something positive.

So we continue to social distance and keep busy. I can say that I will miss seeing my 7 grandkids for Easter. Maybe by the end of the summer I can visit safely. Stay safe.

We are using the TSC and Kroger pickup service this week. The chickens are eating lots if worms and bugs so food consumption is down.

https://www.witn.com/content/news/D...aught-with-13-lbs-of-marijuana-569406461.html
he was going through a Corona virus checkpoint and the police smelled the marijuana.

And NC gets a score of D on social distancing. Total Covid cases 3054 with 33 deaths.

This scared me--->https://kingworldnews.com/man-who-p...-what-is-in-front-of-us-is-truly-frightening/

I feel like I need to get off work and go home to get some projects done. I don't feel very productive here knowing that there may not be much time left. I have been wondering if I should purchase some additional plywood for the windows in my house. I have some but would not be enough. Anyone on here doing the same or thinking about it?
I have already made metal brackets and placed them on each side of my doors. I slide a 2x4s in the brackets so that my doors can't be kicked in kinda like a barricade. I painted them white to look like part of the decor.

Latest posts

Back