What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a headache all day long. . . but yes it has been beautiful today even here!! My husband had to go to work this morning and let me sleep in till 7. He woke me with a kiss and told me that he went ahead and fed my goats when he was out feeding his cows and pigs and even had my coffee made. . . such a sweetheart. I started my day out walking the garden and saw that I needed to train up some more of my squash up the trellises. They are doing great and putting on a lot of spaghetti and butternut squash so at least my 'experiment' is working out good. After that I started cleaning the house. Since my grand baby who is allergic to basically everything is coming tomorrow I wanted to make sure that house had no dust what so ever. . . so spent most of the day wiping, dusting and moping. Made dinner of Golden Chicken, Cream Corn, Four Cheese Pasta and Corn Muffins half with Jalapenoes just because I could and love, but yet I do not feel like eating. . . maybe later but my head is just a dull pain right now and not feeling like it. I used to get migraines often when I worked as a manager for a department store. Once I quit they went away. I have been getting these headaches more often again. . .

I feel your pain. Every year about this time I am miserable for about a month when the trees around my house start blooming. Hickory trees. Everything is covered in pollen. Back deck and house, car etc. While I don't usually suffer from allergies it is just too much and my system goes crazy for about a month then I am fine. My treatment of choice right now is Zyrtec and it does a pretty good job of keeping everything under control. Stay safe

I feel your pain. Every year about this time I am miserable for about a month when the trees around my house start blooming. Hickory trees. Everything is covered in pollen. Back deck and house, car etc. While I don't usually suffer from allergies it is just too much and my system goes crazy for about a month then I am fine. My treatment of choice right now is Zyrtec and it does a pretty good job of keeping everything under control. Stay safe

I really think it is due to the overnight shifts I work and then trying to stay up to do my normal morning chores and only getting a couple hours sleep to wake up and then do the rest of my normal day. It's just catching up to me now. I have been at this kind of schedule for over a month now.

Headaches are pretty normal apparently. The doctors are just like whatever it's probably not really that bad and won't even prescribe any real medications usually.

My physician said that repetitive headaches can be a symptom of a serious malady.

Oilfield jobs are getting hit pretty hard where I live. Two brother-in-laws have been laid off without the certainty they will have jobs when things open back up. Some companies are going bankrupt.

Here in Oklahoma they are starting to open some things back up. My husband's work starts back on the 13th. Guess we'll see how bad the infection rate goes up in the next few weeks.

Such strange times we live in, indeed.

There is a local who has been arrested over 100 times for panhandling. He doesn't need the money. Drives a nice SUV and has a house. He's just too lazy to get the 9 to 5.

Yup. We have the same type of deadbeats here in Kalifornia. My next door neighbor and his girlfriend haven’t worked a day in their lives. The state pays for their food, rent, medical, dental, et.al.

Well, we are getting these MFers soon, apparently. It's like America is turning into Australia.

Tracking the Asian Giant 'Murder' Hornet: A Deadly Pest Has Reached North America

"As he pulled his truck up to check on a group of hives near Custer, Wash., in November, he could spot from the window a mess of bee carcasses on the ground. As he looked closer, he saw a pile of dead members of the colony in front of a hive and more carnage inside — thousands and thousands of bees with their heads torn from their bodies and no sign of a culprit.

“I couldn’t wrap my head around what could have done that,” Mr. McFall said.

Only later did he come to suspect that the killer was what some researchers simply call the “murder hornet.”

"..the hornet’s potent venom and stinger — long enough to puncture a beekeeping suit — make for an excruciating combination that victims have likened to hot metal driving into their skin.... the species had earned the “murder hornet” nickname there because its aggressive group attacks can expose victims to doses of toxic venom equivalent to that of a venomous snake; a series of stings can be fatal."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...hed-north-america/ar-BB13va3Q?ocid=spartanntp

BB13vXFN.img

Well, we are getting these MFers soon, apparently. It's like America is turning into Australia.

Tracking the Asian Giant 'Murder' Hornet: A Deadly Pest Has Reached North America

"As he pulled his truck up to check on a group of hives near Custer, Wash., in November, he could spot from the window a mess of bee carcasses on the ground. As he looked closer, he saw a pile of dead members of the colony in front of a hive and more carnage inside — thousands and thousands of bees with their heads torn from their bodies and no sign of a culprit.

“I couldn’t wrap my head around what could have done that,” Mr. McFall said.

Only later did he come to suspect that the killer was what some researchers simply call the “murder hornet.”

"..the hornet’s potent venom and stinger — long enough to puncture a beekeeping suit — make for an excruciating combination that victims have likened to hot metal driving into their skin.... the species had earned the “murder hornet” nickname there because its aggressive group attacks can expose victims to doses of toxic venom equivalent to that of a venomous snake; a series of stings can be fatal."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...hed-north-america/ar-BB13va3Q?ocid=spartanntp

BB13vXFN.img
And some people still think that multi cultureism and open borders is a good thing.

Oilfield jobs are getting hit pretty hard where I live. Two brother-in-laws have been laid off without the certainty they will have jobs when things open back up. Some companies are going bankrupt.

Here in Oklahoma they are starting to open some things back up. My husband's work starts back on the 13th. Guess we'll see how bad the infection rate goes up in the next few weeks.

Such strange times we live in, indeed.
my sister works in the oil industry. Her contract is up in 3 months. She is hoping they will extend it but projects are being cancelled and she maybe out of a job at that time.

my sister works in the oil industry. Her contract is up in 3 months. She is hoping they will extend it but projects are being cancelled and she maybe out of a job at that time.
One of the major drillers where my wife works just shut down. The pipeline operator just cut 50,000 barrels a day from the pipeline because there's no place to put the oil. Any more cut backs and they'll be forced to shut down the pipeline.
Many of the drill rigs have been moved back to their lay down yard and most support service companies have already shutdown. Most of these companies will go bankrupt and thousands of employees won't be coming back to work.
Again I ask, what the hell did these "experts" think would happen when they trashed our economy and "locked" people down. Of course the green weenie commies are loving this.

One of the major drillers where my wife works just shut down. The pipeline operator just cut 50,000 barrels a day from the pipeline because there's no place to put the oil. Any more cut backs and they'll be forced to shut down the pipeline.
Many of the drill rigs have been moved back to their lay down yard and most support service companies have already shutdown. Most of these companies will go bankrupt and thousands of employees won't be coming back to work.
Again I ask, what the hell did these "experts" think would happen when they trashed our economy and "locked" people down. Of course the green weenie commies are loving this.
She is an engineer for one of the main companies that own the offshore oil rigs.

Just finished putting the last board up on the corral. All I have left is to build a gate, put up a couple timbers over the alleyway, install the anti-back up gizmo in the alleyway, and assemble the calf table. I'll be done tomorrow. The corral covers close to 1/2 acre and could hold 100 head, and has enough lumber in it to build a house.
Sold one of my yearling heifers today for $1.24 per pound. I estimated that she's about 800 pounds.
I'm beat, but still need to ride out and check on things before dark. Once the sun goes down it gets cold here.

Just finished putting the last board up on the corral. All I have left is to build a gate, put up a couple timbers over the alleyway, install the anti-back up gizmo in the alleyway, and assemble the calf table. I'll be done tomorrow. The corral covers close to 1/2 acre and could hold 100 head, and has enough lumber in it to build a house.
Sold one of my yearling heifers today for $1.24 per pound. I estimated that she's about 800 pounds.
I'm beat, but still need to ride out and check on things before dark. Once the sun goes down it gets cold here.
I knew cattle prices were low, but dang. . . that is a cheap price. Last time we bought was around 8 years ago and it was $1.42lb for a really nice Angus bull.

I knew cattle prices were low, but dang. . . that is a cheap price. Last time we bought was around 8 years ago and it was $1.42lb for a really nice Angus bull.
The steer I bought a few months ago I paid around $1.50 per pound. Its a great time to buy cattle right now, not so good to sell. We have enough breeders now that I won't need to buy any more, other than a new bull every couple of years. I've got 2 registered bulls now and 3 young prebreds that I'm not going to register.

My day was really good. Woke up to do the normal chores and out to the garden while hubby trimmed some tree limbs. We were waiting on the second son and his three girls to come for a visit. As soon as they got here I got the Nana and two little ones running to me. I so love that. . . Not sure how I can scoop up 3 when the youngest can start walking too. :) Took them out to see the goats because they wanted to see how much the 2 little goats they named had grown over the last couple weeks. Then we went out to pull the onions that were ready to pick. Oh how their arms were loaded down . . . then took them over to the outside sink to wash up and let harden off. Oldest wanted to take a couple home. . . one purple and one yellow so her daddy could make salsa with it. Then we took a golf cart ride down the neighboring pastures to look for blackberries and mulberries. We got a few, but for the most part they are still red. They may be coming back next weekend . . . we will have to see. I told them that Nana and Pops wil let them know when they are ready for the picking. Oldest and daddy are looking forward to a blackberry cobbler. Then we took a drive down to the beach property to see two other kiddoes and another granddaughter. Played in the water and sand, then watched some very stupid people trying to load up a 4wheeler. A man trying to impress a female. . . he over turned it on himself. He was limping and thankfully his big friend helped him out so the 4wheeler didnt land completely on top of him.

Beach was crowded but we had our area to ourselves.

For the first time yesterday they had a free drive thru test site in my county. Before you either had to go to private doctor/ hospital or make arrangement to have the health dept opened by appointment Mon thru Friday. Curious to see how that affects the numbers for the county. My community has had 4 cases for 2 weeks with very little testing.

We are under a slight severe weather threat this evening. Other than that the weekend was beautiful. They dropped a load of topsoil yesterday to fill in holes about the place. Grass seed and straw in the shed so we have a date with shovels and rakes next week. Skyped with the grand kids yesterday. The oldest grandson (9) named my baby ducks. Godzilla, Mothra, Franklin and Fanny. Baby ducks are starting to loose their down and get feathers now. Chicks are completely feathered out now and we are going to allow them out of the brooder and on the ground next week. They have good size and should be laying by early fall.

Keeping busy with projects around the place and garden. Quilt on rainy days.

Finished wet tumbler washing 1,000 9mm cases. Had to split the load, into 3 loads, as my tumbler is too small to handle that many cases at once. What a rip roaring pain in the tush, not to mention old tired legs. The tumbler does all the heavy lifting but then every brass case has to be inspected and rinsed several times. Any media has to be removed from the cases and separated for drying. After the drying process, they are inspect once more and placed into their loading trays. After all that is accomplished, the steel media has to be dried and loaded back into it's storage tray. Current cost, not counting tools or my time is $0.19 per round. I can buy factory ammo cheaper. I did learn not to purchase used brass cases, not worth the extra work. Buy real good brass and only have to prep it once. No cost saving, so I have decided I am a masochist and will continue to reload.

Finally got some long overdue archery practice in, and by christ it was needed. I REALLY need to find a regular place to practice as archery SAA goes downhill very quickly without very regular practice.

At my stage in life, any archery will be a crossbow. I did make a PVC bow, just to try it out and discovered, William Tell, I am not. Archery is a very high skill level endeavor. Not something you can start and stop doing and still be proficient.

For the first time yesterday they had a free drive thru test site in my county. Before you either had to go to private doctor/ hospital or make arrangement to have the health dept opened by appointment Mon thru Friday. Curious to see how that affects the numbers for the county. My community has had 4 cases for 2 weeks with very little testing.

We are under a slight severe weather threat this evening. Other than that the weekend was beautiful. They dropped a load of topsoil yesterday to fill in holes about the place. Grass seed and straw in the shed so we have a date with shovels and rakes next week. Skyped with the grand kids yesterday. The oldest grandson (9) named my baby ducks. Godzilla, Mothra, Franklin and Fanny. Baby ducks are starting to loose their down and get feathers now. Chicks are completely feathered out now and we are going to allow them out of the brooder and on the ground next week. They have good size and should be laying by early fall.

Keeping busy with projects around the place and garden. Quilt on rainy days.
Kids come up with the cutest names. . . Can tell he is all boy. ;)

Re storm: seems to have been a lot of wind damage. We were lucky because I live in the woods and have dead trees as tree tops dangling on the Corps property from last Summer's big storm. They let nature do it's thing until it falls on my property.

Actually, got into my stash of D batteries for the Super radio. Definitely going to have to replinish lots of batteries after the "Great Quarantine of 2020". My son has his hand on the remote or flashlight all day. It's a tactile thing.

That's my update.

Latest posts

Back