What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re storm: seems to have been a lot of wind damage. We were lucky because I live in the woods and have dead trees as tree tops dangling on the Corps property from last Summer's big storm. They let nature do it's thing until it falls on my property.

Actually, got into my stash of D batteries for the Super radio. Definitely going to have to replinish lots of batteries after the "Great Quarantine of 2020". My son has his hand on the remote or flashlight all day. It's a tactile thing.

That's my update.

Glad to hear you are okay. We just got rain here. More sticks to pick up from a little wind maybe.

All those sticks and branches add up to make a great bonfire. It's great quality time for a family. When the boys were you get and lived in this area we used to have them all the time. Now they most all live an hour away, it will just be sone great bonding time with my sweet hunny.

Can you believe they are predicting frost chances for tomorrow morning and this weekend. Boy spring is teasing us this year. My potatoes have already been damaged twice from frost. Everything budded out. Gardening is pretty well a crap shoot this year so far.

Wait, where did winter come from all of a sudden? :eek:

It was near 90 yesterday and close to 80 at midnight last night, and weather.com was saying lows in the 60s for this week. Now they say we're going to have lows in the mid 40s for the rest of the week starting tonight! :confused:

Can you believe they are predicting frost chances for tomorrow morning and this weekend. Boy spring is teasing us this year. My potatoes have already been damaged twice from frost. Everything budded out. Gardening is pretty well a crap shoot this year so far.

Can’t believe it myself. We are supposed to go down to 34. Do you think it will kill my growing peaches, plums and cherries? I’m sure the apple blossoms are a goner. :(

That just sucks when you get such a late frost prediction. . . Been there! Mid May we had a frost and it affected some of my garden a few years ago. Broke my heart after all the hard work put in. It's always a crap shoot unfortunately.

My potatoes are really going good, only HALF of the tomatos are growing, the rest are at a standstill. Beans are coming along and the bell peppers are doing fine also. Onions and garlic, OK. Thyme, Basil and Parsley are small but healthy. We are supposed to get into the high 70's this weekend. The soft rain lasted for 5 days and stopped yesterday.

I was out and about a couple days ago. Had to pay a bill. thru drive thru and make a deposit at the bank . . but I did end up at the grocery store (second time out and about since this started, other than work) . Needed to buy a couple cards and some items for a Mother's Day weekend. The stores have put down stickers for "social distancing" when waiting in lines here. Fortunately we are still goods on stocks. Heard from my sis today and mom is wanting additional items for her Mother's Day and my son's birthday menu that I wasn't thinking about but have everything on hand. She wants my baked beans and potaote salad. My sis is grilling crabs and shrimp, I am making my seafood stuffing, squash casserole, green beans and now the baked beans and potatoes\ salad. Along with my sons favorite cheesecake. His wife is making some cheddar biscuits and a banana pudding.

My potatoes are really going good, only HALF of the tomatos are growing, the rest are at a standstill. Beans are coming along and the bell peppers are doing fine also. Onions and garlic, OK. Thyme, Basil and Parsley are small but healthy. We are supposed to get into the high 70's this weekend. The soft rain lasted for 5 days and stopped yesterday.

My tomatoes and peppers are still in the house under lights . It's going to be in 30s this weekend. Maybe I can plant soon. Yes things stall if the soil isn't warm.

Can’t believe it myself. We are supposed to go down to 34. Do you think it will kill my growing peaches, plums and cherries? I’m sure the apple blossoms are a goner. :(

It will probably get mine too! Along with the blueberries, blackberry blooms and the grapes are just leafing out for the second time .

I transplanted about 15 BlackBerry bushes from a lot near my wifes work to my property.

I love having my own blackberries. When I was young I used to forage wild ones all the time It is so much nicer to have blackberries on my own property that I can keep the grass mowed around and let the chicken and ducks in sometimes to help with the ticks and chiggers. It is especially nice to have thornless ones :cool:

It will probably get mine too! Along with the blueberries, blackberry blooms and the grapes are just leafing out for the second time .

Forgot about my blueberries and blackberries. I’m going to Wally World in the morning and grabbing a bunch of cheap sheets. My vines already have a ton of tiny grape bunches on them. Do you know if covering them would help?

Don’t you just love a soft slow rain?! You’ve a got a bunch of nice things growing! My potatoes are growing well. Planted them in tubs in the greenhouse in early February. I find it gets too hot here by June if I don’t plant early...then of course the tubers stop growing. Tried some indeterminate spuds this round. Crossing my fingers I will get more potatoes!

My first round of beans got killed by the last frost. :confused: Have a bunch more in the greenhouse that I’m so thrilled I haven’t put out in the garden yet. Yay! They are about 6” high now and will plant them out after this cold spell this weekend.

Forgot about my blueberries and blackberries. I’m going to Wally World in the morning and grabbing a bunch of cheap sheets. My vines already have a ton of tiny grape bunches on them. Do you know if covering them would help?
Go to Goodwill or another type of second hand store to buy some cheap sheets if you have a store close enough to cover plant. I get them for $2 or $3 there depending on the size. Covering should help, but if you have tarps it would be better.

I am going to try covering what I can.

DirtDiva and Psalm7 pay attention.

I always thought our Conservative Governor was doing a good job, but I just heard this......

Forget HIPA laws in TN. They are releasing everyone who tests positive name to the police authorities.

Also, there was a homeless man in Nashville that tested positive and the took him to the Fairgrounds and put him under quarantine. he left, and now they are going to arrest him when the find him. What is this some type of police state? Self Isolate the people that need to be away from others such as the elderly or ill, but you cannot do this **** in a free country.

If I had a family member that we thought had the virus, I am doubtful if I would even seek medical help unless it was major. This is scary as hell.

Latest posts

Back