Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have three squash plants left, after planting dozens and many varieties. Squash bugs. I'm going to just use that garden as a nightshade garden for the next year or two. But they havent touched the cucumbers, so I'm getting those. Garden got in so late this year, but neighbor has been bringing over lots of her extra, she's so sweet.

Nope, you're not. You win some years and lose others. I gave our neighbor heirloom button squash seeds because I gave her some of the squash to try last year, and she had not seen it before, so her plants are going gangbusters, and I have too many bugs this year. Another neighbor...I gave a specialty spinach seed and she did well with it earlier. Noticed around here, the ladies do the garden, and they only use the seed the little hardware store sells. Like marketmore cucumbers. You never see an armenian cucumber, or the different varieties of peppers. Plenty of jalenpenos, though. So my main garden this year will be tomatoes, peppers, 3 squash (ha), potatoes, sweet potatoes. I did green beans elsewhere in big tubs, strawberries, snappeas elsewhere. I think I'll just keep spreading out in different areas. Mammoth head sunflowers are doing better everywhere else except the garden. They sure are pretty. Neighbors here always share veg. I love it when I'm given sweet corn, since I don't bother with it.

26mph winds and raining sideways...testing my sweet corn plants that just started tasseling to see if they stand up or break off.

OK, listened to a you tube while making potato salad, and it was reminding me (depending on what zone you live in) that it's time to start reseeding for more plant starts. Too early for cabbage, broccoli....but start another set of summer squashes, winter squashes, small melons, and cucumbers. Also tomatoes, but I have a bazillion of those. So maybe this week. And put more potatoes in ground if you're taking them out of the ground.

All I’ve gotten so far are garlic scapes, broccoli, green beans and I’ve pulled the garlic. There’s tomatoes but they are no where near being red. Cucumber has flowers as do the peppers.

Only thing worth posting pics of is the Rose of Sharon.
IMG_2737.jpeg

so humid you need scuba gear to get a breath outside right now...its panama jungle time for sure after that wind and rain...checked corn...still standing...it was bending a bunch in storm..to be continued !

I read something about first year garlic grows much like an onion. They don't grow cloves but a single ball. After the ball goes Through a winter it will split into cloves.

Or so I read.

Ben
I agree.
True Garlic can be planted in the Fall & will split into cloves next June/July according to how late your Winter is.
However, Elephant Garlic(a leek) is a Biannual like carrots, it is a bulb the first year & cloves the 2nd year.
My Brother in law, retired & sale fruits & vegetables from his small fifty acre farm. He sale more green, first year Elephant garlic as "Green Garlic", which the whole plant is chopped up to season the dish.
He sales out every year, the bulblets called croms, make green bulbs in three years, so they keep him supplied every year. Great Ga. soil & drip irrigation helps a lot.

Beautiful Rose of Sharon, Tommyice. Ours doesn't bloom usually for another month. I love them.
That is one of the volunteers. One of my great uncles had brought a little, scrawny twig and planted it about 40 years ago. That twig is still going but has suffered a lot a damage--ice storms, big maple tree falling on it, old age. Around 5 years ago, I noticed the area surrounding it has been populated by "children." I love the color. The other one I have, I dug out of the woods where I rode the horse and it's white. The other old one on the property is probably close to 50 years old and it is also that pink color but it's a double flower. Once it blooms I'll try to get pics but the flowers are always so high up. Noticed the other day it's got a baby growing nearby--I hope it stays true to the parent.

I've had sun protection the whole time. It's probably a combination of things. Bright sun every day, 100 degrees every day, poor water quality & so on. At least I did get a good crop of tomatos this year. I've got a huge crop of jalapeno's this year but the darned things are so hot that I can't eat them.
Make a pepper relish with them and sweet,milder peppers. Yum.
Just a suggestions.

That is one of the volunteers. One of my great uncles had brought a little, scrawny twig and planted it about 40 years ago. That twig is still going but has suffered a lot a damage--ice storms, big maple tree falling on it, old age. Around 5 years ago, I noticed the area surrounding it has been populated by "children." I love the color. The other one I have, I dug out of the woods where I rode the horse and it's white. The other old one on the property is probably close to 50 years old and it is also that pink color but it's a double flower. Once it blooms I'll try to get pics but the flowers are always so high up. Noticed the other day it's got a baby growing nearby--I hope it stays true to the parent.
Looking Close at the pic and 6-7 can 🐝 seen...?!? If that is the same one...?

Last edited:
boy it was another doozy rain storm..it hit 94f and dropped to 70f and got unstable sideways and burst open like a water balloon....(point)83inches of rain...wind blowing...was out in it in mtns and couldnt drive home even...waited it out...got home...corn still standing...thats 3 storms this week now....i am liking what i am seeing on my corn now.....somebody is already asking for seed from it...lol

Harvested my garlic Monday night. 2 of the 4 types did real well. The other 2 not so much, at least one of those I'll stop growing. The Martians Heirloom Elkhound recommended did far better than any of the others.
Also pulled my onions, both the yellow an reds did well. Reds actually did better. Some of our taters I didn't find last fall came back and they did really well. Yukon Golds and many are HUGE for the type. I've still got 2 beds of taters to dig.
I'll try and post some pics I took with my phone

volunteer Cherokee trail of tears pole beans...grew some last year and several came up this year from pods i missed harvesting....planted entire row out in cucumbers and not one came up...so i l let the beans grow.

P1010078.JPG

Just went out to do a little edging and the Grass is Still Wet...!!! Sun has been on it for almost 5 hrs now, and I came back in Soaked...!!! 😉 Not 🌧️ either...!!

harvested a ton of zuccine , some huge. Tiny pole bean plants ( 4th attempt at beans this year, usually they do really well) are still alive but a long way from producing anything, cucumber plants have tiny cucumbers on them now, potatoes look dead and taken over by bugs and weeds, but we will dig up whatever grew. Onions look good, almost ready to pull up
Tomotoes look sad compared to last years hundreds of pounds we got
Oh well, lesson learned, don't go on trips in May , take care of garden instead....

I’ve got a few columnar apple trees bred for growing in pots. This year there is growth coming out of the trunks below the soil surface. Should they be cut off? If so, should I do it now or when they are dormant?

View attachment 157128
cut it now...its just taking away from the tree itself.

Latest posts

Back