Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google Lens says tomatillo or peruvian ground cherry.

I went out and took some more pictures to use Google Lens on.

View attachment 157571

View attachment 157572

View attachment 157573

View attachment 157574

I would expect a normal potato berry.

View attachment 157575

Ben
Google lens is guessing Physalis heterophylla, colloquial name clammy groundcherry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis_heterophylla

These plants are far more draught tolerant than all of my other potatoes.

I am going check back with the vendor I purchased the seeds from.

Ben

I can't seem to grow garlic. I like the elephant garlic and buy it from someone at the market, and she tells me she just sticks them in the ground and they grow. I stick them in the ground and they disappear. What am I doing wrong? I finally tried in a small raised bed, same thing, no garlic
soil: clay with a lot of composted manure in it, everything else grows gigantic unless the bugs eat it or worms. But the garlic never grows at all

Various things i read in multiple posts

your tomatoes first...lime wont do what you want it to do...first it changes the ph...second going on memory..lime takes 60 days to be even available for plants to use..it could be 90 days..its reason farmers pout lime down early in year before pastures and hay fields start growing..typically in febuary....early in south bit later in the north.

hoss tool uses gypsum...gypsum is not lime...you can get it at rural king...another way thing is spraying the liquid cal-mag stuff..i have a friend who farmed tomatoes for a very comfortable living and he sprayed weekly...i bought a gallon to use not sure of exact type but you can see the list in link.....i bought mine several years ago $25 for gallon. one thing about gypsum is it helps with soil crusting together and clumping...i like it and put several bags on several years ago in one garden section..it helped.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=liquid+calcium+for+tomato+plants&page=2&crid=3DM6PDUHTRWS7&qid=1721264531&sprefix=LIQUID+CALCIUM+FOR+TOM,aps,554&ref=sr_pg_2

garlic...did you plant in fall...best about nov 1st....it could be being eaten by voles and or gotten out by squirrels..i had squirrel troubles several times.

@sonya123 short video also @Peanut he has some stuff he puts down for plant health i want to get a few bags. not been able to get since c-19 its a long drive for me to only place and they are all weird how you order and pay and pick up during c-19 so not been able to get and its one of them things sorta fell off the radar of getting done...anyhow peanut might chime on on that mineral here.

you will have to back video up i cant get it posted without not starting part way in it for some reason.

Google lens is guessing Physalis heterophylla, colloquial name clammy groundcherry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis_heterophylla

These plants are far more draught tolerant than all of my other potatoes.

I am going check back with the vendor I purchased the seeds from.

Ben

I've heard them called groundcherry, I know them as one of the nightshades. They are a common weed at the edges of fields/crops in the south. I see them everywhere. They have no use that i know of...

Last summer i stopped to takes some pics of cocklebur at the edge of a cornfield. I noticed groundcherry growing also, not surprised. 2nd pic, again, very common here.

IMG_5061a.JPG
IMG_5064a.JPG

@Neb I really am trying despite being on here when I’m rummy tired. So I was cleaning up the end of the raised bed with the garlic. Got a couple of nice globes and 4 more of the golf ball type ones. Do I hang onto them and plant them in the fall and next year they grow up to be real garlic? (I’ve always planted cloves and grown normal garlic).

I highly recommend Azomite. Its amazing, it replaces all the depleted minerals and elements missing from our soils. It's crushed volcanic rock, has all of natures building blocks. It's not a fertilizer or conventional product. It gets plants healthy. A healthy plant resists insects, disease and drought much better than one in poor health.

My old garden spot has been used continuously for over 100yrs. There was nothing left in the soil. Commercial fertilizer helped but the big picture, most of what i planted was destined to a slow death from disease or insects.

I happened to see a show on volcanoes one night. Throughout history mankind has lived by volcanoes for his health, health of his people, livestock and crops. I got the screwy idea... How do I get volcanic rock into my fields? The search went on for a year. At one point i spoke to the scientist in charge of the Cascade Volcano Observatory, a lady. She sent me on a search for crushed rock that was saving 200yr old oak trees in California. I eventually found a magazine article about that very thing... Long story short... I found Azomite, minerals a-z. https://azomite.com/

I ordered one bag for an experiment. I plowed up a patch maybe 1/3 of an acre. Half got azomite, the other half didn't. I planted peas for the deer and watched. The deer ate the azomite peas, stalk, leaves and all before touching ripe peas without azomite. I was astonished, never seen anything like that before. So I ordered a ton.

I bought it by the ton for years. I was the first guy in the south to buy any. They put me on their website as a dealer (i'm no longer a dealer). My usual process... I'd buy a ton, actually a 2200lb pallet - 50 bags. Each bag weighed 44lbs. (44lbs=20Kg).

I'd sell about half of a pallet. The proceeds paid for almost all i used here on the farm. I think my best year i ordered 4tons. (used to sell a lot to deer hunters too)

Having a 2200lb pallet shipped from Utah isn't cheap. I could get a pallet for less than $600, sometimes the shipping was another $1000, depending on the price of diesel fuel that week.

Some of my customers that i trusted told me about another product that wasn't nearly as expensive to ship. They had tried it to good results... Sea Crop, minerals from sea water shipped as a concentrate, shipping is much more reasonable.

https://www.sea-crop.com/

Last edited:
^^^ The Japanese Lantern Plant, also known as Physalis alkekengi, is a stunning perennial that is native to East Asia. It is commonly grown for its unique orange lantern-like seed pods that form in late summer and fall, adding interest and beauty to gardens and flower arrangements. If you’re lucky enough to have this plant in your garden or are considering adding it to your collection, it’s important to know how to properly care for it. In this article, we will discuss the essential tips and techniques for keeping your Japanese Lantern Plant healthy and thriving.

1721272107600.png
1721272173687.png

https://livetoplant.com/how-to-care-for-japanese-lantern-plant/

Weird Weather Results seen here :
Yellow Day Lilies and Glads still Blooming...

Glads around Our Special Place are Still Growing and the one on the leftside is Thinking about Flowering... Stem is getting Thick...!

Attachments

• July 182024 002.jpg
    July 182024 002.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • July 182024 003.jpg
    July 182024 003.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • July 182024 012.jpg
    July 182024 012.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Grapes are turning Darker and producing New Leaves Again...

Attachments

• July 182024 013.jpg
    July 182024 013.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • July 182024 014.jpg
    July 182024 014.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • July 182024 015.jpg
    July 182024 015.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • July 182024 016.jpg
    July 182024 016.jpg
New Hibbies with Buds and the Purplish One has 2 Nice Buds getting ready to show their Beauty Again...

Attachments

• July 182024 006.jpg
    July 182024 006.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • July 182024 009.jpg
    July 182024 009.jpg
More Grapes on the Southern Side of the Backyard...

Southern peach Tree has New Growth and I see where I will bee cutting back on it later in the Year..

Attachments

• July 182024 011.jpg
    July 182024 011.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • July 182024 007.jpg
    July 182024 007.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • July 182024 010.jpg
    July 182024 010.jpg
  • July 182024 008.jpg
    July 182024 008.jpg
@Peanut thank you for the tip on Azomite

Today I lifted the last of my onions from the polytunnel- I'm disappointed with the red this year- I even left half a bed a few weeks longer than the big ones but nothing grew
I also lifted a bed of rooster potatoes, and weeded the rest, getting ready for more winter seedlings. Braided the dry onions, cleaned up a bit and repotted some strawberry shoots. Son mowed and cleaned the hens, tomorrow will weed outdoor beds- I've a large lot of self seeded candula (marigold) to relocate.

@Peanut thank you for the tip on Azomite

Today I lifted the last of my onions from the polytunnel- I'm disappointed with the red this year- I even left half a bed a few weeks longer than the big ones but nothing grew
I also lifted a bed of rooster potatoes, and weeded the rest, getting ready for more winter seedlings. Braided the dry onions, cleaned up a bit and repotted some strawberry shoots. Son mowed and cleaned the hens, tomorrow will weed outdoor beds- I've a large lot of self seeded candula (marigold) to relocate.
I am growing Shallots for the first time this year.
I was told to space them 12 inches apart, that I will get ten to fifteen times what I plant.
We will see.
What is Roosters potatoes?

1721473720350.png
This is a rooster potato - its one of the most commonly available in supermarkets now; though years ago there were lots of varietes, they've narrowed us down to two or three now. Interested to see if @lonewolf has the same issue in the UK. Shame, as there are loads of varieties at one point.

Picked onions and garlic a few weeks ago. I've had them in bread racks with a fan blowing on Them since then. Yesterday I got them all out and cut back the tops and trimmed the roots off. Only found 3 that were going bad. Wonderful harvest overall. From the 4 types of garlic, I have nearly 3 gallons of bulbs. Almost 2 trays of yellow onions, and just over 2 of red Torpedo onions.

Attachments

• 20240720_173522.jpg
    20240720_173522.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240720_173432.jpg
    20240720_173432.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240720_173427.jpg
    20240720_173427.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Tis Wonderful what some rain will do :

Attachments

• July222024 003.jpg
    July222024 003.jpg
  • July222024 004.jpg
    July222024 004.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • July222024 005.jpg
    July222024 005.jpg
  • July222024 006.jpg
    July222024 006.jpg
  • July222024 007.jpg
    July222024 007.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • July222024 008.jpg
    July222024 008.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
The Glad on the leftside is getting Thicker n more straight...

Vines are looking Good..

Attachments

• July222024 009.jpg
    July222024 009.jpg
  • July222024 010.jpg
    July222024 010.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 157794 This is a rooster potato - its one of the most commonly available in supermarkets now; though years ago there were lots of varietes, they've narrowed us down to two or three now. Interested to see if @lonewolf has the same issue in the UK. Shame, as there are loads of varieties at one point.
There are certain properties of the “Irish potato “ that are beneficial for certain health conditions (I would have to look up which issues). I would have thought that would be a good ol’ russet or the like. Is there an old Irish spud? 🥔

My folks stopped by work today so I told them to swing by the house and nab the largest cabbage. I planted small head cabbage. My mom called later and said she thought I said I planted small ones. I told her I did and that she should be glad I didn’t plant regular ones. The one she got was over a foot across.

My daughter orders the meal kits and this week there was a note saying that there is a shortage of zucchini and squash so they substituted asparagus.
Usually this time of year there is zucchini or yellow squash everywhere. My squash is having a terrible year. We went without rains and I was watering by hand. Ita just not the same. I had to pull 4 plants. I replanted and am hoping for a late crop.

Latest posts

Back