Jokes and Humor

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hacked.jpg

I wonder how many under the age of 40 would get this let alone have heard the rhyme.
I wonder how many others would recognize the picture or understand the meme without the last line.

I would “guess” that those will the 4 strikes are newer clocks perhaps made in China by 8 year olds who don’t know any different. Historically the correct way is IV meaning 1 less than 5 just as IX is 1 less than 10. Look at the copyright dates in very old books- also Roman numerals 😊
Yes, IV makes sense.

My grandfather's Longines pocket watch has Roman numerals and represents four as IIII. It was made in the 1920's. I doubt we were exploiting Chinese child labor back then. :)

I think I found the answer to my question: https://www.romannumerals.org/blog/...V,,their sundials and to signify the number 4.

While the correct notation for 4 is IV, Romans originally wrote their numbers based on the additive principle and signified 4 as IIII. The subtractive notation -IV- actually became the standard after the fall of the Roman Empire. Therefore, the Romans initially engraved IIII on many of their sundials and to signify the number 4.

Yes, IV makes sense.

My grandfather's Longines pocket watch has Roman numerals and represents four as IIII. It was made in the 1920's. I doubt we were exploiting Chinese child labor back then. :)

I think I found the answer to my question: https://www.romannumerals.org/blog/why-do-some-clocks-use-the-roman-numeral-iiii-and-not-iv-16#:~:text=While the correct notation for 4 is IV,,their sundials and to signify the number 4.
I love that sort of stuff!
I was also thinking (not knowing the above) that it could be a hybrid of the tally marks IIII then a strike through to make five. Not correct by what you found but fun that it’s cause us to question it 😋

Back