Investing "OUTSIDE" the box for SAFE profits.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watch my stuff every weekday.
Western Union went 'ex-dividend' on 6-14-24 and the stock price dropped briefly below $12 today. (expected).
(People that don't own it before XD date, don't get no dividend munney :()
...Which reminds me, the juicy dividend pays shortly after 7-1-24! 😁
50723-drool.gif
Sorry, the eagle flew early, Brag Time:woo hoo::
06/28/2024Qualified DividendWU WESTERN UNION CO$202.10

Last edited:
Bought a month ago for $6355, current value is $6097 so I'm down a bit.
No dividends have hit my account yet. Any idea what they gave per share?

WESTERN UNION COBuy500.0000$12.71-$6,355.00

Bought a month ago for $6355, current value is $6097 so I'm down a bit.
No dividends have hit my account yet. Any idea what they gave per share?

WESTERN UNION COBuy500.0000$12.71-$6,355.00
23.5¢ per share each quarter.
94¢ per share each year.
That's almost a dollar for each $12 invested, close to 7.7%. (7.69% yield)

Last edited:
23.5¢ per share each quarter.
94¢ per share each year.
That's almost a dollar for each $12 invested, close to 7.7%. (7.69% yield)
To put that into perspective, millions of people are thrilled to buy T-bills (loaning money to our guvment that has gone way beyond maxing out all it's credit cards) to get a 5.1% yield:oops:.
1 Year Treasury Rate is at 5.10%, compared to 5.13% the previous market day and 5.32% last year. This is higher than the long term average of 2.96%. The 1 Year Treasury Rate is the yield received for investing in a US government issued treasury security that has a maturity of 1 year.
Not my cup of tea.
66984-NoDeal.gif

I'm more interested in buying a machine that will provide dependable income for years to come. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Well the DOW broke above 40K today and gold above $2,400 for the first time in months.
Good times!
(or as I refer to it: the calm before the storm :rolleyes:).

That's what I was telling my wife this morning.
September and October are traditionally hard on the markets, especially during election years. Between now and the end of August, we'll take enough out of the market to hold us over until the end of the year (or longer).

Well the DOW broke above 40K today and gold above $2,400 for the first time in months.
Good times!
Well the DOW broke above 41K today like there was no barrier there :oops:.
The yuppies are bailing out of the 'golden' high-tech stocks like crazy!
...Some must be realizing that the soaring prices were just a Madoff scam.

The yuppies are bailing out of the 'golden' high-tech stocks like crazy!
There's some politics behind the NASDAQ pullback today. Pisses me off as I'm sure I took a big hit but it'll bounce back. Timing sucks as I was going to make a withdraw this morning that's now on hold until there's a rebound.

Has anyone been watching Allstate?
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ALL/

They're up around 60% in the past year with 2.19% dividends on top.

Damn, the whole market is down yet ALL is climbing like crazy. Wish I had more.
Here's a chart for the past month.
https://yhoo.it/3tZyOJP
The 'yuppie' pyramid-scheme is beginning to crumble :oops: :
Dubbed the Magnificent Seven stocks, Apple, Microsoft, Google parent Alphabet, Amazon, Nvidia, Meta Platforms and Tesla lived up to their name in 2023 with big gains. But the start of the third quarter of 2024 showed a big divergence of returns.

‘Magnificent Seven’ stocks see worst drop since launch of ChatGPT — with $1.7 trillion in value erased in 2 weeks

The wheels appeared to be coming off the artificial-intelligence trade on Wednesday, as members of the “Magnificent Seven” group of megacap tech stocks booked their worst daily drop since the launch of ChatGPT.
Don't march with 'the herd'. :blow up:
*Super has never owned any of the above.

Last edited:
Damn, the whole market is down yet ALL is climbing like crazy. Wish I had more.
Here's a chart for the past month.
https://yhoo.it/3tZyOJP
The crumble (correction) seems to be picking up speed...
They better re-elect Joe quick or we're all doomed! (Oh wait, he ain't running!gaah)

What are you investing in, (Other than Gold/Silver) that you feel safe about the profitability going forward..??
Nothing. There is no "safe" profit. Investing/speculating is like playing craps or roulette or even Black Jack. The House always win in the end.

Realize ALL markets are manipulated by the government and Big Money/Business. The only real winners until everything collapses is the To Big To Fail Boys and the Government. We are just feeder fish for the Piranha fish or is it sharks.

Nothing. There is no "safe" profit. Investing/speculating is like playing craps or roulette or even Black Jack. The House always win in the end.

Realize ALL markets are manipulated by the government and Big Money/Business. The only real winners until everything collapses is the To Big To Fail Boys and the Government. We are just feeder fish for the Piranha fish or is it sharks.
Have you ever heard of the "Dividend Aristocrats"?
You don't think they are 'safe'?
Dividend Aristocrats are companies that are part of the S&P 500 and have increased their dividends in each of the past 25 years.
It also means that they have never reduced their dividend in the past 25 years.
25 years is a long damtime to become a member of that list.:oops:
I live off of dividends, and am pretty sure I own a few on that list.:)
Edit: Checked, and yes I do. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Have you ever heard of the "Dividend Aristocrats"?
You don't think they are safe?

25 years is a long damtime to become a member of that list.:oops:
I live off of dividends, and am pretty sure I own a few on that list.:)
Nope never heard of them. Somebody asked about "safe" dividends and there no "safe". Any dividends can end tomorrow same as the stocks. Companies come into existence and companies go out of business. I've had stocks especially preferred that I thought the dividends were safe and pouf the dividends were gone.

If you don't hold it you don't own it.

Nope never heard of them. Somebody asked about "safe" dividends and there no "safe". Any dividends can end tomorrow same as the stocks. Companies come into existence and companies go out of business. I've had stocks especially preferred that I thought the dividends were safe and pouf the dividends were gone.

If you don't hold it you don't own it.
That was all I needed to hear.
Probably 1/3rd of the companies I own stock in, have been in business over 100 years. :oops:
They ain't gonna vanish overnight.🙄
You need to take a close look at who is 'preferring' stocks to you, and why.:(
(likely, to make them the most money)

That was all I needed to hear.
Probably 1/3rd of the companies I own stock in, have been in business over 100 years. :oops:
They ain't gonna vanish overnight.🙄
You need to take a close look at who is 'preferring' stocks to you, and why.:(
Geez I feel like I'm talking with a 1st grader. My wife worked for companies that have been in business for over a hundred years and were bought out.

The number of companies that were here a hundred years ago and are gone now is legendary. Just because you are invested in a hundred year old company doesn't mean it won't go bankrupt tomorrow.

Now I'm not talking about somebody preferring a stock I'm talking about preferred stock which is a stock that is a non-voting stock that pays dividends like a bond pays interest. Preferred stock pays a higher rate of dividend that common stock. Also preferred stock comes first to a company's assets than common stock. I've bought preferred stock in companies that all the information said was good as I know how to read financial statements but then the economy turns south and the dividends stop or the company may even file bankruptcy.

Now maybe some of you guys have investment angels or gods that tell you the future but as an investor I was never that lucky to be able to see into the future. What I've learned over decades as an investor is that there is no such critter as a safe investment and every investment has risk.

Geez I feel like I'm talking with a 1st grader. My wife worked for companies that have been in business for over a hundred years and were bought out.

The number of companies that were here a hundred years ago and are gone now is legendary. Just because you are invested in a hundred year old company doesn't mean it won't go bankrupt tomorrow.

Now I'm not talking about somebody preferring a stock I'm talking about preferred stock which is a stock that is a non-voting stock that pays dividends like a bond pays interest. Preferred stock pays a higher rate of dividend that common stock. Also preferred stock comes first to a company's assets than common stock. I've bought preferred stock in companies that all the information said was good as I know how to read financial statements but then the economy turns south and the dividends stop or the company may even file bankruptcy.

Now maybe some of you guys have investment angels or gods that tell you the future but as an investor I was never that lucky to be able to see into the future. What I've learned over decades as an investor is that there is no such critter as a safe investment and every investment has risk.
Ok. You win.
84189-f82c093b92ecbf4a268e53033bc33d6b.gif

You are a successful investor, and I suck.

I never said that. All I'm trying to point out is there is no such thing as a "safe" dividend, or "safe" investment. All investments even bank deposits and gold and silver you own out right has risk. I was merely answering the OP.
Oh really???
Geez I feel like I'm talking with a 1st grader.
So, the only 'safe' investing, is to not invest and watch your money evaporate due to inflation?:dunno:
...Being a 1st grader, I'm confused 🙄.

Oh really???

So, the only 'safe' investing, is to not invest and watch your money evaporate due to inflation?:dunno:
I didn't say that either. Just understand that no investment is safe and there is risk with every investment. You can lose your money no matter what you do. Even inflation is a risk. It's all going to collapse one of these days and there is nothing one can do about it. You just invest as best as you can understanding all the risks and pick the investment with a risk you can live with.

I didn't say that either. Just understand that no investment is safe and there is risk with every investment. You can lose your money no matter what you do. Even inflation is a risk. It's all going to collapse one of these days and there is nothing one can do about it. You just invest as best as you can understanding all the risks and pick the investment with a risk you can live with.
So, what would you consider "investing in for mostly-safe profits?"

A. Buy some goats? You can watch them multiply right before your eyes. :oops:
B. Some chickens? They provide eggs, meat, and multiply.:)
C. Land? (Large 'minimum investment' stops most people).:(
D. PM's? Doesn't pay any dividends, but keeps pace with inflation.
E. Stock in a 100+y/o company that pays a 8.16% dividend?
F. (Your 'perfect' suggestion goes here)

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back