Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I spend 40 hours a week...
View attachment 159146

Yeah, I spend a lot of time on the computer too. Here's a pic my computer took of me just the other day...

computer.jpg

Part of my drive home. Too lazy to get screenshots for now so posting a video. It's not usual to have trucks and people in that spot so I don't know what was going on. There was another truck off to the left that didn't show up on camera. They made me suspicious, but I don't like having strangers that close to my home.

On July 16, 2003, a group of 12 people arrived on the Florida coast in a 1951 Chevrolet truck, modified with 200-gallon drums around it and a propeller attached to the gimbal bar. At a speed of 20 km/h, he began the journey from Cuba to Key West, Florida, USA.
Creativity, ingenuity and freedom...

truck from cuba on boat.jpg

The new restaurant just opened :). Used to be a biker bar.

View attachment 159095
There ‘was’ a biker bar similar to that near me. I wasn’t into that scene at the time.

It’s an appliance outlet now. The feds shutdown the bar when a MC took revenge in the form of murder there.

edit/ not trying to spoil the taste of the meals there, but if you knew the history….

Last edited:
There ‘was’ a biker bar similar to that near me. I wasn’t into that scene at the time.

It’s an appliance outlet now. The feds shutdown the bar when a MC took revenge in the form of murder there.

edit/ not trying to spoil the taste of the meals there, but if you the history….
I'll find out Friday, after cutting the grass for 2 hours in 90 degrees last week, I was not acceptable for the general public.

Friday is a Meet and greet with a senate candidate for Ohio, after that I will drop in for a snack at the new restaurant. It was a bust as a Biker bar, one hopes the new owners have better luck.

I'll find out Friday, after cutting the grass for 2 hours in 90 degrees last week, I was not acceptable for the general public.

Friday is a Meet and greet with a senate candidate for Ohio, after that I will drop in for a snack at the new restaurant. It was a bust as a Biker bar, one hopes the new owners have better luck.
If it was a bust as a biker bar… you’re in a good neighborhood. :)

edit/ maybe I shouldn’t say so, but I know from living the lifestyle… MCs and biker bars aren’t exactly a good thing. Fortunately that’s all in past now.

Last edited:
On July 16, 2003, a group of 12 people arrived on the Florida coast in a 1951 Chevrolet truck, modified with 200-gallon drums around it and a propeller attached to the gimbal bar. At a speed of 20 km/h, he began the journey from Cuba to Key West, Florida, USA.
Creativity, ingenuity and freedom...

View attachment 159245

I'm assuming the 2 pics at the bottom are supposed to be replicas. There's quite a few differences from the one in the top pic.

I'm assuming the 2 pics at the bottom are supposed to be replicas. There's quite a few differences from the one in the top pic.
I saw this posted somewhere, and then did a search for more information, wondering if the truck and barrels were on display somewhere. I just find this kind of ingenuity fascinating.

From what I read in a different place, if they made it to land in the U.S., they were allowed to stay. If they didn't make it, they were sent back.
https://www.ocala.com/story/news/20...ercepted-in-jury-rigged-51-chevy/31283627007/

MIAMI - Cuban migrants fashioned a boat out of a 1951 Chevy pickup truck and steered it to within 40 miles of the United States before they were spotted, taken off and returned to the island, the U.S. Coast Guard said Wednesday.

The truck was sunk by the Coast Guard.

The dozen migrants, some sheltered in the truck cab or under a yellow tarp covering the bed, were first found by a U.S. Customs aircraft on July 16 south of Key West, Coast Guard Petty Officer Ryan Doss said.

A propeller attached to the drive shaft of the green vintage pickup was pushing it along at about 8 mph, Doss said. The truck-raft was kept afloat by empty 55-gallon drums attached to the bottom as pontoons.
"It was actually being powered by the truck engine," Doss said.

Doss said the truck was sunk as a hazard to ocean navigation.

Migrants have been founds on rafts or small boats made out of refrigerators, bathtubs, surfboards and inner tubes, but the truck was unique.
"We haven't come across any vehicles like that before," Doss said.

The Cubans were returned to Bahia de Cabanas, Cuba on Sunday, Doss said. Under U.S. law, Cubans who reach U.S. shores are allowed to stay, but those caught at sea are usually returned.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna7267457
This article tells that the family made it to the U.S. by crossing over from Mexico, maybe first going to Costa Rica.

The photos from the web site posted below did not copy and I didn't individually copy them, but they are there on the web site.

http://www.floatingcubans.com/#:~:text=The Original Cuban Truck Raft,drums were used for flotation.

The original attempt at reaching the United States was done with a converted 1951 Chevy pickup truck on July 16, 2003. The truck's drive shaft was attached directly to a propeller and the craft could reportedly reach a leisurely 7 knots (8 mph). 55-gallon oil drums were used for flotation. The dozen or so Cubans in the truck were caught just south of Key West after being sighted by a U.S. Customs aircraft.

This valiant and ingenious attempt at fleeing Cuba earned the original crew the proud title of camionautas (truckonauts). Unfortunately, instead of being rewarded for their cleverness, the Cubans were repatriated back to Cuba. Sadly, the pickup truck was also later sunk (reportedly through the copious application of machine-gun fire!) by the U.S. Coast Guard.

Latest posts

Back