weather where you are?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was about what it looked like here this morning. The problem is we aren’t supposed,to,see that here! Lol. A good bit has melted off today but the dip tonight will refreeze it and that’s got me a bit worried. Told everyone that start time is delayed till 10am tomorrow to see how the roads look. We don’t have enough snow plows this far south....

That was about what it looked like here this morning. The problem is we aren’t supposed,to,see that here! Lol. A good bit has melted off today but the dip tonight will refreeze it and that’s got me a bit worried. Told everyone that start time is delayed till 10am tomorrow to see how the roads look. We don’t have enough snow plows this far south....

When driving on snow, on the trucks I have front and back hitch receivers, the custom hitches are made to carry the tractor suitcase weights or the iron wheels, I can place 400lbs ahead of the front tires and behind the rear tires, We don't drive the cars on snow hardly at all, if we drive the cars on ice we use studs and reduce the pressure in the tires down to 12lbs although much slower driving and always keeps two gallons of bleach in the trunk (keeps the tires soft and prevents ice forming in the treads)

When driving on snow, on the trucks I have front and back hitch receivers, the custom hitches are made to carry the tractor suitcase weights or the iron wheels, I can place 400lbs ahead of the front tires and behind the rear tires, We don't drive the cars on snow hardly at all, if we drive the cars on ice we use studs and reduce the pressure in the tires down to 12lbs although much slower driving and always keeps two gallons of bleach in the trunk (keeps the tires soft and prevents ice forming in the treads)
Never heard of the bleach before, being a southerner and all. I think my best bet is just wait for the thaw when there’s ice on the road. I guess when you live in an area that stays cold you learn to adapt though.

Never heard of the bleach before, being a southerner and all. I think my best bet is just wait for the thaw when there’s ice on the road. I guess when you live in an area that stays cold you learn to adapt though.

Bleach is salt, it makes it easier to apply to the tires ;)

It has been in the very low 40s and (mostly) in the 30s here for a few days, and raining since Friday morning. Could’ve been worse though - this is about 2 miles away from work (and a few hundred feet up)

83c0bcd2899041dbab0013a480ec2b9b.jpg

(stolen from the weather service)

Spoke with a friend in Asheville today. He said there was 12” of snow on the ground and not much movement anywhere.
Sure, Arctic may be used to this, but last I checked, Asheville is in the south! I think the most I ever saw was 8” in Missouri and I’m content to have that be my record for the rest of my life.

I don't even want to comprehend this much cold or snow.
It isn't the cold or snow that causes me problems so much. It's the drifting that's the bigger problem. Usually when we get storms like this we also get high winds. This winter I'm keeping almost 3 miles of road plowed and some areas will drift over 5 feet deep. Every winter I end up getting stuck several times and walking home. I keep a winter Get Home bag, snow shovel, tow straps and tire chains in my vehicles and fire starter kits in the tractor and ATV's. The tractor and ATV's are chained up from November thru April at least. Last time I got stuck it was dark and I didn't have a flashlight with me. Now I do.

Several years ago We had to dig out my Bronco, the Bronco had a lift on it plus had 44 tires, it took all day and half the evening to unbury it, look at the hood of the cab, little over 3 feet above the Bronco, we got a total of 10' of snow that dumped on us. We were snowed in from October to April the following year, by the end of May we had 1 foot of snow still on the ground. The temps remained a minimum of -10* from December to February, that was a very long and cold winter.

snow.jpg

It's been snowing here all day today. And with the wind blowing it's starting to drift over the road in places. Looks like I'll be plowing the road all day tomorrow. It's always a surprise to wake up in the morning and see how much snow we got over night.

its very overcast, clouds blocking the entire sky, no sun and very damp, a little bit of drizzle but mostly just damp, not cold been wearing a thin hoodie for the last few days so its fairly mild as temperatures go.

The last few days it warmed up to above freezing, up to 36 degs. It rained a couple of inches and snowed about a foot. Two inches of rain may not seem like much to most people, but it is when there's 3 feet of snow on the ground. The road has been a slushy icy mess and was almost impassable. Had to use chains on my truck to get in and out. Yesterday I was plowing the road and the plow broke. Luckily it was just some bolts that hold the blade on that broke. The temp dropped to the mid 20's this morning so I should be able to get to town and buy new bolts.
I think they're calling for a few more warm days like this before it gets back to normal.

Cold crisp sunny day here. A welcome change from the warm monsoon-like weather we've been having. Maybe the yard will dry out enough for me to finish cleaning up the leaves that have been too wet to do anything with since November. The last time we had a dry sunny day and the ground was dry enough to work on the yard, it only lasted half a day and started raining on me before I could finish.

Warmer than normal this time of year where I’m at. 19degF no moisture, the pacific is pushing moisture in Thursday night along with warmer air, probably not going to see snow this time around, we should be gettin into the range of -10~+10degF about now but we aren’t.

Last edited:
Bottomed out last night at -16, right now it's -1 here at about 2:35 PM. Cold but not "OMG" cold.

I live in North Missouri, it's crazy seeing people freaking out like it's never gotten cold here before. Last winter our low was -14 and there were a bunch of days it never reached zero.

Back