What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Pearl - we used to go to church right down the road form their main store in Ohio. I wish I had the money to spend on scratch/dent goods then that I do now!

@Grimm - we actually made it a point to patronize shops that didn't wear masks. If they had a sign on the door, but didn't hassle you, we'd still shop there. If they asked us to put one on, we'd turn right around and walk out the door.

@UrbanHunter - prayers for a fast and uncomplicated recovery for your wife, diabetes and feet can be so scary!

@Morgan101 - I've been trying to chip away at my junk a bit at a time. I've found rather than a garage sale it's easier to do a few at a time on sites like eBay, Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. One or two pictures of the item & a free listing can yield some nice $. I started with the bigger ticket items first to give me some momentum to keep going. Now every time I think, I wish I had the $ for that new cordless sawzall, I list junk until I have the cash and then start the cycle over again.

@Weedygarden - that's been my favorite part of the masks being "dead" here to is the freedom to get out and see some beauty. We have 2 big universities within a 20 minute drive of here, so there's always great music and art at hand, often for free. Have tickets to see the Sound of Music at the end of the month, can't wait to see it!

@Amish Heart good luck getting the phones squared out. I'd think if you told them that the phone was needed for medical support, and you're willing to make sure they pay their fair share in court should it cause a problem, I'd be surprised if the phone isn't fixed ASAP.

@snappy1 I agree with @Patchouli that it's a shame you are being given the brush off. I'd wager a well worded letter, sent by registered mail to the State Atty General and the city would get somebody motivated.

@Neb - what a beautiful property. I bet it'll be even prettier when you are done with it!

Quite the genetics, Magus.

Family genealogy records that my ancestor married a Mohawk Indian Princess from Canajoharie, NY. The location is 100% correct; whether or not she was a princess, I don't know, but it sounds good, so that's what I tell people. Lol. Call me Pocahontas. Ha ha ha.

--

Just writing today and laughing at my own jokes. Nothing new.
Native American genealogy is generally well documented, at least for the people I know. Many tribes have benefits that pay out to well documented people. A friend of mine is half Sioux, and when her sons were born, she took them to the tribal headquarters to register them. For her and her children, it was free college, including all fees, housing, food, and an allowance.

Thought of Jim this weekend.
Made one of the recipes from new cooking class.
It was soooo good.
Raw Shrimp,Bay Scallops, Mussels, Oysters,Calamari , leeks,noodle, potato soup.
Yumm!
Will be making an Apple Raisin Pie today.
Have a bag of apples that will need used up.
2 loads of laundry washed, dried and put away.
Have last load in dryer now.

That's just mean.

I love it when your mean.
☺️

Jim
sounds awesome Mo.

Native American genealogy is generally well documented, at least for the people I know. Many tribes have benefits that pay out to well documented people. A friend of mine is half Sioux, and when her sons were born, she took them to the tribal headquarters to register them. For her and her children, it was free college, including all fees, housing, food, and an allowance.
My wife has whatever grandmother who gives you 1/16th of your race a mystery. That grandpa was a shady character (riverboat thief, stowaway, etc.) and there's rumors that his wife was either African American or American Indian. They've never been able to find any evidence of her providence. The funny thing is the family has never tried too hard, or been worried about the $ for school (even though most of them could have used it) - I think they enjoy having the stories to tell :)

Started the 'Great Toy Purge' with the girls. We got 30% done. I even went through my gift boxes and took out toys that are too young for them and listed them for sale online since they are new. We still need to get rid of stuffed animals and babydoll stuff. That is going to be the fight since the girls think they are going to have a say. I think that if they haven't played with it or even touched it in over a year+ it needs to go.

Finally found pastina! I use to find it at the store but the last 6 years it has been harder. I could order it from Walmart but since the pandemic they are not even carrying. I ended up finding it for $2 a box but I had to order a case (16 boxes). No problem! Now I have 16 boxes of this comfort food I grew up with and Roo and Juju can enjoy!

Bunnies are opening their eyes already!

thumbnail_Image-25.jpg

The other litter are still small and not as advanced. They are over 36 hours younger so I am not surprised they are smaller and more fetal like.

My wife has whatever grandmother who gives you 1/16th of your race a mystery. That grandpa was a shady character (riverboat thief, stowaway, etc.) and there's rumors that his wife was either African American or American Indian. They've never been able to find any evidence of her providence. The funny thing is the family has never tried too hard, or been worried about the $ for school (even though most of them could have used it) - I think they enjoy having the stories to tell :)
I think I have shared a story here a couple of times of a woman I met whose family claimed some Native American heritage, and in actuality, they had some African American heritage. Native American heritage evidently was more acceptable to claim than African American heritage.
In the area where I grew up in South Dakota, there were two families who passed as white, but each had a child whose heritage was undeniable. We know that this came from ancestors where the master had children with a slave of his.

I think I have shared a story here a couple of times of a woman I met whose family claimed some Native American heritage, and in actuality, they had some African American heritage. Native American heritage evidently was more acceptable to claim than African American heritage.
In the area where I grew up in South Dakota, there were two families who passed as white, but each had a child whose heritage was undeniable. We know that this came from ancestors where the master had children with a slave of his.
It's a shame people have had to endure so much because of bigotries. Come to think of it - we did DNA genealogy testing a bit back, and I don't think my wife had either in her profile - so probably just stories!

I grew up being told my dad's side of the family was greek by one side and albanian by the other. I did the digging and found out my great grandfather is Yazidi and came to the U.S. in 1908. Middle Eastern. When I shared what I found to the family they all nodded and said it made sense seeing as how he was very dark but a redhead with bright blue eyes.

I grew up being told my dad's side of the family was greek by one side and albanian by the other. I did the digging and found out my great grandfather is Yazidi and came to the U.S. in 1908. Middle Eastern. When I shared what I found to the family they all nodded and said it made sense seeing as how he was very dark but a redhead with bright blue eyes.
We've heard about the attempts for genocide for the Yazidi and the kidnapping of the women. Your g grandfather was wise to leave when he did. I had to refresh my memory about them.
"Yazidis or Yezidis are a Kurmanji-speaking endogamous minority group who are indigenous to Kurdistan, a geographical region in Western Asia that includes parts of Iraq, Syria, Turkey and Iran. The majority of Yazidis remaining in the Middle East today live in Iraq, primarily in the governorates of Nineveh and Duhok. Wikipedia"

@Weedygarden I would be 1/126th Mohawk Indian, so not too much anymore. Our ancestor who was half-Mohawk was known as 'Black Jake' because his skin was very dark and "had an ornery mood to match" I believe was how it was written. You can see the Native American features in some of his children--it's the cheekbones I remember.

I've also got African American. One ancestor fought in the civil war, ended up in Libby Prison, when he was rescued he was laid up in a Union Camp for a while and it was the laundress he met there whom he married. The laundress was 1/4 black we believe. Grandma couldn't track her down in any census, which if you weren't full white, you didn't get listed. Blacks and mixed only got tallied--no names. But in one of the pictures we have of her although she's white, she has African features. And she kept giving a different names where-ever she went. Dad said his mother had a devil of a time figuring out she was the same woman in the different documents.

I'm also 1/126th Jew. I've got a straight, paternal line back to Jewish ancestry, but our 'patriarch' so to speak, the one who came to America first, didn't marry a Jew. His step-mother was Lutheran and so he became Lutheran.

Genealogy is fun.

@Grimm - I once had over 700 stuffed animals. Couldn't donate them. Toy Story ruined me. I personified everything. Those animals were real and had feelings; how could I abandon them to someone else? I didn't know what would happen to them! What if they got thrown out or used as dog chews? Nope. Nope. Nope. I could donate any other toy, but not my stuffies. Finally when I was like 20 or 21, I donated them, but it took a while. And I still have over 200.

@Weedygarden I would be 1/126th Mohawk Indian, so not too much anymore. Our ancestor who was half-Mohawk was known as 'Black Jake' because his skin was very dark and "had an ornery mood to match" I believe was how it was written. You can see the Native American features in some of his children--it's the cheekbones I remember.

I've also got African American. One ancestor fought in the civil war, ended up in Libby Prison, when he was rescued he was laid up in a Union Camp for a while and it was the laundress he met there whom he married. The laundress was 1/4 black we believe. Grandma couldn't track her down in any census, which if you weren't full white, you didn't get listed. Blacks and mixed only got tallied--no names. But in one of the pictures we have of her although she's white, she has African features. And she kept giving a different names where-ever she went. Dad said his mother had a devil of a time figuring out she was the same woman in the different documents.

I'm also 1/126th Jew. I've got a straight, paternal line back to Jewish ancestry, but our 'patriarch' so to speak, the one who came to America first, didn't marry a Jew. His step-mother was Lutheran and so he became Lutheran.

Genealogy is fun.
Very interesting, and yes, genealogy is fun. My mom's brother did a DNA test and found out he is maybe 1 % Jew, which means I am .05 Jew. I have done lots of work on my genealogy, thousands of hours, thousands of miles driven to find family history. My g grandparents all came over from Europe with one exception, a set of gg grandparents came over.

In the U.S., the 1950 census records are going to be released April 1, 2022. There are probably other places where 1950 records are going to be released as well.

Last edited:
@Weedygarden - My mom did a DNA test. We were sort of disappointed in it; I guess I just didn't know what to expect. It was nothing we didn't already know. Mom's side is from North Germany/Norway. One of her relatives in Canada has the Viking chair that got brought over. I know dad's genealogy more. We actually have all the binders of the work grandma had done, with all the stories she typed up. She too drove 1000s of miles. Our family was briefly out in Niagara, North Dakota, but they moved back. And our family went out there to do research too.

The interesting thing about the Jewish ancestry is doctors have noted that Crohn's patients tend to have Jewish ancestry. My one doctor/employer (she was both) always thought it was so fascinating because here I was keeping the Passover and being treated for Crohn's. It like, re-established the phenomena that other doctors have notated. Have no idea why we're predispositioned to bowel diseases, but we are.

The interesting thing about the Jewish ancestry is doctors have noted that Crohn's patients tend to have Jewish ancestry. My one doctor/employer (she was both) always thought it was so fascinating because here I was keeping the Passover and being treated for Crohn's. It like, re-established the phenomena that other doctors have notated. Have no idea why we're predispositioned to bowel diseases, but we are.
So interesting, imho. Everyone that I knew who had Celiac prior to daughter's diagnosis was Jewish. I hadn't really done much research into it, so I didn't know if it was something that just Jews had. Since her diagnosis, I have met many people with Celiac who are not Jewish.

Since nobody has offered up money for procrastinating , I decided to skid fire wood, that does keep me warm,

So interesting, imho. Everyone that I knew who had Celiac prior to daughter's diagnosis was Jewish. I hadn't really done much research into it, so I didn't know if it was something that just Jews had. Since her diagnosis, I have met many people with Celiac who are not Jewish.

I've heard that Celiac is actually a fairly rare diagnosis. Like 2% of the population. Interesting you met so many Jewish celiac patients first before your daughter's diagnosis.

@Magus You also have celiac, don't you? Did you know that the Cherokee have been found to have Jewish DNA

@Pearl - we used to go to church right down the road form their main store in Ohio. I wish I had the money to spend on scratch/dent goods then that I do now!

@Neb - what a beautiful property. I bet it'll be even prettier when you are done with it!

Thank you.

When we bought it it was multi flora rose and Japanese barberry.

DSCN1320.jpg

Even the deer only used limited paths through it.

The family teamed up to clear under brush.

DSCN1498.jpg

I built pathways and stairs.

DSCN1385.jpg

And put in terraced heugelcultures.

DSCN0057.jpg

The Princess want me to start putting more time in there.

Ben

I've heard that Celiac is actually a fairly rare diagnosis. Like 2% of the population. Interesting you met so many Jewish celiac patients first before your daughter's diagnosis.

@Magus You also have celiac, don't you? Did you know that the Cherokee have been found to have Jewish DNA
I talked to former colleagues about it. One was in the hospital frequently, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. She was in her 40's when she was finally diagnosed with celiac.
Another former colleague had celiac in her family that had gone undiagnosed for generations, but many people in her family were unwell and died around the age of 50, probably due to celiac.
There are three kinds of cancers that are associated with celiac. Anyone who has digestive issues and doesn't feel well frequently should be tested for celiac. I know a man whose wife lost an aunt to cancer. The doctors knew the cancer was associated with celiac and all of the relatives got tested. Friend's wife, at the age of 28 found out that she had celiac. They never have gluten anything in their home now.
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-in...who have celiac,the world have celiac disease.
"Many people who have celiac disease have not been diagnosed. However, experts estimate about 2 million people in the United States have celiac disease and about 1 percent of people around the world have celiac disease."

Maybe, and if so not bad.
One of my famous relatives says she's related to King David. I thought it was cooler being related to Hitler and Alister Crowley myself, but She comes with the set. OH, Who's she? The Queen mum.

@Weedygarden - That was interesting article. I was originally diagnosed as Ulcerative Colitis, but since developing a fistula, they switched it to Crohn's. Except all the lab work and every biopsy they've ever taken has always come back negative. They tested me for celiac as well and I had a gluten free diet for a time, but the labs came back negative and the diet did nothing. I might ask the doctor to recheck for celiac. I'm most likely Crohn's esp. since my dad is Crohn's. But some of these diseases are tricky.

Maybe, and if so not bad.
One of my famous relatives says she's related to King David. I thought it was cooler being related to Hitler and Alister Crowley myself, but She comes with the set. OH, Who's she? The Queen mum.
I've seen people say they have traced their roots back to Adam and Eve. I suppose if you can get back to all of the people in the genealogy lists in the bible, you could. The challenge is that there is not solid records to go back that far for most people.

@Weedygarden - That was interesting article. I was originally diagnosed as Ulcerative Colitis, but since developing a fistula, they switched it to Crohn's. Except all the lab work and every biopsy they've ever taken has always come back negative. They tested me for celiac as well and I had a gluten free diet for a time, but the labs came back negative and the diet did nothing. I might ask the doctor to recheck for celiac. I'm most likely Crohn's esp. since my dad is Crohn's. But some of these diseases are tricky.
I know a few people who have Crohn's. Some of these diseases can shorten a person's life if they are not diagnosed and then diet's are not managed. Daughter gets a hint of gluten and is really sick for three days, and then doesn't feel well for a couple weeks. The one thing that has gotten her more than once is gluten free pizza made in a pizza place where other pizza's are made. Gluten allergies have been scoffed at by many people. Not me. I've seen her after she was gluten poisoned. It is not pretty.

Sitting here waiting on goat to have kids. I ve been checking on her every half hour, maybe if I don't watch her she will do it . She is leaking but I see no feed or nose or anything yet. She is definitely in labor.
Hope nothing goes wrong she is one of my favorite goats, Hazelnut

I have a pretty international family, I am German ( but had one grandmother that was full Roma, her family escaped the Nazis by becoming Lutheran and buying a pub in a village). Father's side of the family 100% blue eyed blond Germans, he did research on his ancestors one time and traced them back to the middle ages. Nobody important, just German peasants , a missionary , one uncle that moved to Brazil and got rich, a few criminals. He was trying to find aristocrats but no go.
My husband is half Colombian, my daughter's husband is English but his dad is from Belize. My brother is married to a French Algerian muslim and my uncle is Polish.

Couldn't find a suitable cell phone mom would use, so found something similar to the black box unit the amish use for a land line. That'll work, and the price isn't bad. $100 to start and $50 a month, includes taxes. It'll arrive in a few days and we can just plug in her current phone set.
I'm swiss/german ancestry though and through, and it's interesting to note the inherited medical stuff. My blood type, for one (RH negative A) and gestational diabetes for another.

@Weedygarden - I'm sorry that your daughter suffers with Celiac. Although it's not the same Crohn's can really give me a beating so I empathize with her. I can't eat pizza anymore because of the acidity in the tomato sauce and the dairy. I think that's one red flag of Crohn's is the dairy intolerance.

And yeah, they can definitely shorten a person's lifespan. Both Dad and I both had our near-death experiences. Makes mom sick to her stomach to know I wasn't far from dying. If Dad and I are talking about our horror stories and I bring that up, mom usually cuts me off at some point because she just doesn't want to think about it. I think mom's got some PTSD from it all. The sheer stress of watching her husband and daughter sick makes her freak out when one of us expresses some form of discontent and then we're pressed with all sorts of questions so she can determine how bad of situation we're looking at or if it's a mild-thing . And poor mom, dad would get better, then I'd get sick, then I'd get better and dad would get sick, just a continuous alternation between the two of us.

@sonya123 That's interesting about your grandmother. How did being Lutheran change anything? Was she Jewish before? And I'm intrigued about the criminal part of your ancestry hahaha.

My great grandfather was one of the top gun salesmen in NY during his time. His brother came to him one day and told him he suspected their cousin in Chicago was selling guns to criminals in the underground. Which of course made us wonder where his cousin was getting the guns. Lol.

And yeah, the can definitely shorten a person's lifespan. Both Dad and I both had our near-death experiences. Makes mom sick to her stomach to know I wasn't far from dying. If Dad and I are talking about our horror stories and I bring that up, mom usually cuts me off at some point because she just doesn't want to think about it. I think mom's got some PTSD from it all. The sheer stress of watching her husband and daughter sick makes her freak out when one of us expresses some form of discontent and then we're pressed with all sorts of questions so she can determine how bad of situation we're looking at or if it's a mild-thing . And poor mom, dad would get better, then I'd get sick, then I'd get better and dad would get sick, just a continuous alternation between the two of us.
Sounds pretty scary, Katie. I know that Crohn's is not good. I didn't realize that it runs in families, but that makes sense that it does. I know that with things like this, you have to be careful about what you eat.

@sonya123 , you really do have a very diverse family. Mine is really simple, half Czech, half German. DNA that uncle had done shows a few other things, but not researchable yet.

Latest posts

Back