What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The goat did have 2 kids during the blizzard, good thing we have a good barn. One boy one girl, big boer looking ones ( she is Kiko but the dad was Boer) . Had 2 more kids today, first time mom, had one each, very tiny but doing well. It was beautiful and sunny today so even the little ones got to go out.

We started cleaning out stalls to put the moms and babies in. Put the crap on a small trailer attached to the ATV and spread it out on the pasture as fertilizer. We don't have enough separate stalls for all the goats so hopefully they are not all having them so close together that not everyone gets a stall. We like to leave them in there for at least a week before they return to general population.

Talked to daughter today, she is working a lot but nothing unusual going on at this point. I told her to let me know if there is ( like lots of Navy getting deployed) .

Oh and I just about completely ignore the stupid daylight savings time. We get up when it gets light, regardless of time. We stop working when it gets dark, regardless of time. But son grumbled about it , his spring break is over and he had to go back to school today

When working on the truck below I shopped at summit racing. They have a distribution center in Atlanta. I could get parts over night. I converted a '94 EFI to a carb adding an old fashioned points distributor.

Maybe Jegs is closer to you, they have the same parts as Summit. They are more of a parts warehouse.

But Summit Racing has great support people! Got a chevy? you speak to chevy engine guys! They'll walk you through anything. They are pro's at rebuilds, builds and will get you to the parts you need.

Both sites have any distributor you might need.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/distributors?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/sto...butor&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1
View attachment 82351
Summit is awesome!! Have one in DFW area!! ♥️♥️

but it has been nice knowing ya, @Pearl I would not want to go into @Morgan101 's basement.
Had the "older" grandkids over today since it is spring break around here. They are 7 and 3. I love it that they get moody when it is time to go home. They wanted to stay here. I wish they could have. We play board games, run the dog, play with older toy sets from the uncles. lol
The older one was in a chess tournament last semester and came in third out of 80-100 kids.

Morgan needs to put a garage sale sign up and just direct people to his basement, that'll do it. Went to the Kroger Store for a few specials, but they were very few. Plan to do my regular shop trip tomorrow and Aldi and hope to get to the amish bulk store for some 50 lb bags of stuff. Made a cherry pie for pi day, and we had some for dessert with ice cream. The grandkids are on spring break this week, but tomorrow they need to get ready for a band trip for three days to Branson. We will have my Oklahoma nephew and his family back in when the kids return, so we'll be switching out rooms for company before they go. I need to not stay up late tonight, I'll still be bring the neighbor girl to school tomorrow. The amish school doesn't take spring breaks.

Worked until 9:30, got home at 10:15. That's 2 straight days of that, and might be a 3rd on Tuesday. Made a burger, and am watching a CSI Miami rerun until I fall asleep. I get another deferred start tomorrow, 9AM. There's another project to do, putting a whole bunch of track panels into one of the yard tracks that got tore up from a recent derailment. We'll see what tomorrow brings...

:oops: I haven’t worn a mask since October/November of last year.

We stopped wearing them at the end of 2020. No one refused our business for not wearing them so we didn't bother putting them on.

Last night discovered that the wife has an infected toe, so need to get her into the doctor as soon as possible, no open wounds but it is swelled up tight and bright pink so I know it is ANGRY. Need to get her in before they have to cut it off. Diabetes is one of those things that if you don't pay attention it eats at you one piece at a time.

Morgan needs to put a garage sale sign up and just direct people to his basement, that'll do it

Sorry Amish Heart. Been there, done that (several times), didn't work. Haul it all out of the basement. Set everything up for a garage sale, price it. Sit there for eight hours and make $15.00. Then guess who has to lug it all back down to the basement? Not doing that anymore. It is a standing joke with our daughter. If your Mother goes first, you will be O.K. If I go first, you've got a big problem.

Last edited:
I've declared winter over.

Remove the snow plow from the mule and store.

Hitch the mule to the utility trailer that is stored behind the shop.

Move the RV out of the way so I can pull the trailer out to the driveway.

Put the RV back where it belongs.

Put the mule away.

Test hitch the trailer to the truck to see if I ordered the correct offset hitch.

Unhitch trailer and push it back off the driveway beside the tower for summer storage.

Pickup the branches that has fallen during the winter.

Run up a flag on the backyard flagpole. This is where I display political incorrect freedom of speech flags. Location is unseeable from the road. Keeps peace with the wife and the Gray Man image.

Fleet side or step side? I love the old chevys. (my fav is 69 stepside - but design flaw so few around.)
Fleet side so a nice big area to haul stuff. It starts right up, the brakes work and the steering is tight so it doesn't take a constant 1/4 back and forth of the wheel to keep it on the road. The plus is i took a two year auto mechanics course in the early 70's so i have the manuals and knowledge to work on this truck.......funny how i can remember things from 50 years ago........now, where are my keys.

Is anyone here dependent on the government telling them it is OK to take off their masks? What I see in my area, are people that ditched their masks long before the government said it was OK to do that. And some people that are still wearing masks despite the government telling them they don't have to. Basically, nobody is listening to the government - not the anti-maskers, and not the forever-maskers. Due to their poor performance, the CDC and various health agencies have relegated themselves to the "not relevant" trash bin of history. Around here, it seems to be "Mandates? What mandates? Who cares?"
Did you see that Colorado Symphony dropped all of their mandates? You no longer need to provide proof of vaccination. I can now decide which classical concerts I want to go to. My friend who plays for them has told me to just let him know and he will get free tickets for me. The performances that feature classical pieces are never sold out, so it is easier for them to gift those tickets, as opposed to the shows they do with more current musicians such as their performance with Andre Bocelli.

https://coloradosymphony.org/plan-your-visit/covid/
Proof of COVID-19 vaccine and face masks are no longer required to attend Colorado Symphony performances.

READ OFFICAL RELEASE

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we have monitored regional COVID-19 data and followed the guidance of the CDC and our partners at UCHealth, as well as public health and government officials, to implement mitigation protocols that provide a safe and comfortable environment for the enjoyment of live, symphonic music.

As the number of Covid-19 cases continues to decline in the region, we have adjusted our protocols accordingly. Beginning today, patrons will no longer be required to show proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test to attend our performances, and the wearing of masks in Boettcher Concert Hall will be optional.

We encourage you to read the following detailed information to prepare you for your concert experience with us. Thank you for your flexibility and understanding as we navigate this changing environment. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at (303) 623-7876 or via e-mail. We look forward to seeing you at Boettcher Concert Hall for an upcoming performance!

On the phone forever with mom's cable and phone service. Wanted the cable cancelled this weekend, and the phone transferred. Tried to do this last week and since mom was not with me to say uh huh on the phone, they wouldn't do it. So older granddaughter was mom and said uh huh on the phone. Her new place includes cable, but not phone. They won't transfer the phone over this weekend because the person in there before did not cancel their service. It's assisted living. They either passed or was moved to medical. I'm going to look for a flip phone cell phone with big buttons for her instead.
Waiting for husband to get ready to go into the bigger town to do the shopping. He takes a long time to get ready. Propane guy came by and topped off the tank.

Y'all are quiet this evening~
@Peanut you been pickin' or strummin' lately? Would love to hear it.
@Haertig you hittin' the keys?
Jim has Eli attacked anyone lately 😂
@Patchouli You done with school?
@MoBookworm1957 Hope you're doing well and keeping the vegan food at bay ;)
@Camalot should be able to contribute to the tool thread.
@Morgan101 Hosting any treasure hunts in the basement?
Don't worry if I "forgot" you, I'm probably not done here 😇 Just stirrin' the pot a little.
Dad and I have been ill.
So no Vegan food right now.

Woke up to a cold house, furnace kept locking out after too many restarts. Pulled and cleaned the flame detector, running well now.

Did my tuesday morning Shift at the Alleycat Resource center, then drove to two different Tractor Supply stores to find the right Bin with a lid. First one had the bins, but no lids, which comes with em.

Thought of Jim this weekend.
Made one of the recipes from new cooking class.
It was soooo good.
Raw Shrimp,Bay Scallops, Mussels, Oysters,Calamari , leeks,noodle, potato soup.
Yumm!
Will be making an Apple Raisin Pie today.
Have a bag of apples that will need used up.
2 loads of laundry washed, dried and put away.
Have last load in dryer now.

Procrastinating, I need some one to pay me for procrastinating, that shouldn't be to hard to find in this upside down world, I would even accept less per hour than, the oh no my $hits broken , can you save me rate.

I went shopping, I'm probably the only man on earth that likes shopping despite being bedridden afterwards.
Where the hell is the spinach? I'm dying to make another batch of spinach fritters!

I went shopping, I'm probably the only man on earth that likes shopping despite being bedridden afterwards.
Where the hell is the spinach? I'm dying to make another batch of spinach fritters!
I couldn't find any cabbage last night for my St. Patrick's Day dinner on Thursday. Picked up a corned beef, small red taters, already have a bunch of carrots. Are you any part Irish?

Quite the genetics, Magus.

Family genealogy records that my ancestor married a Mohawk Indian Princess from Canajoharie, NY. The location is 100% correct; whether or not she was a princess, I don't know, but it sounds good, so that's what I tell people. Lol. Call me Pocahontas. Ha ha ha.

--

Just writing today and laughing at my own jokes. Nothing new.

I've been so busy. And the water bill thing going on. So far no one will call us back to have a meeting.
Anyway, walked every day and walked the dogs a few times.
Laundry is done.
Dog food ingredients (meat) are thawing.
Yesterday, grilled 3 packs of pork chops, 3 packs of deer sausage and a 10 # bag of chicken thighs.
This afternoon, I will make 2 different pasta salads for a dinner at Church tomorrow. Senior club.
A quarter of the way through the year already.

I took a break from the remodel to plant some spruce trees along the property line of The Ridge.

20220315_133402_HDR.jpg

First step was to find the stakes that mark the property line. It is much easier to find them this time of the year.

20220315_133406_HDR.jpg

One was completely buried and may not have found it if I didn't have a good idea where it was located. I added long sextons of caution tape to the stakes to make it easier to find as well as to tree limbs overhead.

After planting the trees I took a walk over to the north end to see what winter has done. At least 2 standing dead trees had come down. Below the dark spot marks one of the springs I plan to develop.

20220315_142445_HDR.jpg

The cliff in the image below shows why we decided to call this private forest "The Ridge". That shale outcropping had been revealed from the effects of springs over the years.

20220315_142615_HDR.jpg

Below shows where the springs emerge from the ground. I did some exploratory digging some years ago and found at least seven springs.

20220315_142644_HDR.jpg

I hope to develop these spring to run a ram pump to water the gardens and orchard at the top of The Ridge.

So it was a wonderful day. I prefer the woods, gardens, orchards, and digging to remodeling. Great way to reset my outlook.

I hope God smiles on yall as he has done me today.

Ben

I've been so busy. And the water bill thing going on. So far no one will call us back to have a meeting.
Anyway, walked every day and walked the dogs a few times.
Laundry is done.
Dog food ingredients (meat) are thawing.
Yesterday, grilled 3 packs of pork chops, 3 packs of deer sausage and a 10 # bag of chicken thighs.
This afternoon, I will make 2 different pasta salads for a dinner at Church tomorrow. Senior club.
A quarter of the way through the year already.
I would call BBB - no need to be ornery. They somehow get things taken care of.

Survived shopping without too much anger about rising prices on my part. I did find 50lbs of hard white wheat berries, super cleaned. Price went up to $80 a bag. Hard red was still 50 cents a lb. Aldi was a little strange with what they have and what they didn't have. Taking a break from putting things away. Husband and I had deli sandwiches at the amish bulk store before we shopped.

Latest posts

Back