What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have severe weather on the way. The dispatcher parked us in a siding to wait on trains coming from the north an hour ago. Haven't seen a train yet but we're still sitting here. Meanwhile a southeast wind kicked up and the gusts are near 50mph. My machine weighs over 40,000 pounds and it's rocking from the wind. No Bueno. Plus, an east wind is never good. "Wind from the east, not fit for man nor beast". I got a feeling we're going to be in for a doozy tonight. They're already talking about warnings after 6pm...

Sounds like my medical appt week, Curmudgeon. I swear, the day is gone. We have something every single day this week that requires a doc visit of some sort. I guess we're lucky, only 15-20 miles out, but still. It gets old real quick.

Yeah, we must be caught up in the same vortex. I have to take her back Friday for another 2 hour visit. Then on top of that they are talking another procedure be done based on the results of the 2 hr test. Same here about 20 miles, but that's 8 bucks in gas too, lol.

We have severe weather on the way. The dispatcher parked us in a siding to wait on trains coming from the north an hour ago. Haven't seen a train yet but we're still sitting here. Meanwhile a southeast wind kicked up and the gusts are near 50mph. My machine weighs over 40,000 pounds and it's rocking from the wind. No Bueno. Plus, an east wind is never good. "Wind from the east, not fit for man nor beast". I got a feeling we're going to be in for a doozy tonight. They're already talking about warnings after 6pm...

Are you in Iowa? We're supposed to get it here tomorrow afternoon. Storms and 60 mph wind gusts.

Are you in Iowa? We're supposed to get it here tomorrow afternoon. Storms and 60 mph wind gusts.
Yup, just north of dead center of the state at the moment.

There's a flagpole about 50 yards away from me right now with an American flag and an Iowa flag on it. I guess it's about 30 feet tall. Those flags are straight out and the pole is bending...

Last edited:
Took another day off work. Still not feeling good. Had them schedule me a Vid test at work in the morning. I still think it sinus crap, but wife said my cough reminds her of whatever I had in 2019/2020. Wont hurt to check. Meanwhile I'm wearing out Vit C with zinc and vit D, and anti histamine

While I'm home working on the taxes. Thought I had them about done, but NOOOOO.

Planned to go to a baseball game tonight, but its been rainy and windy most of the day so I shouldn't do that. Already had our tickets right behind home plate too. 🥺

Went to Va on Friday for several test and Doctor Appointment.
My blood pressure is starting to come down finally.
Friday mid morning it was 297/197.
Now it's 137/97 which is better I'm told.
My Primary Care appointment was for 1100 hours.
Doctor was "NO CALL,NO SHOW".
Not the first time this has happened either.
Chief of Staff of clinic had 26 angry Military Women to deal with.
So they will be shuffling us among other Primary Care Doctor's in Clinic.
So I put in request to be transferred to next town over CBAC VA clinic.
Even so it could take up to 5 months to get everything worked out.
At least at CBAC VA Clinic in next town over I can drive myself.
Will still go to KCVA for Speciality Clinics and some tests.
But I am Pro Active in my Health Care, and Primary Care Doctor (more like her RN) doesn't like it at all.
I question just about everything she wants to do.
I don't like to take a bunch of unnessary pills if I don't have too.
Even before COVID BS she was cancelling appointments.
I have only cancelled 3 Doctor appoints the whole time I have been going to KCVA.
Unforturnately, there is 19 scheduled appointments showing up cancelled on my screen.
Got a telephone call this morning from Chief Of Staff of Primary Care Clinic he verified what I had told him.
I had cancelled exactly 3 appointments, 2 were due to road conditions (hazardous road conditions), 1 was when my Mom died.
The rest had be cancelled by Doctor, her RN.
There is a shake up going on in my Primary Care clinic as we speak.
But other than that it's been pretty good week.
Cleaned dad's house, did his laundry.
Walked 2 miles this morning already.
Will have to cook today.
It's windy here, no burn flag is out.
Turned a little bit cooler today.
It was a "Sad" day at my house Saturday.
We unbuckled Estelle's booster seat from my kitchen chair.
Also took her car seat out of my car.
She brought me paperwork from her Pediatrain that she actually weighs 41 pounds.
So now I might get her a booster seat for my car.

I get a day off from the room from hades.

Wife's nephew (DA) will be here in a bit.

Day is blown...

But I get some rest.

I hope Eli bites him.

Later

Jim

They been here since 9:30 am. Uuugghh.
Of course they didn't offer to buy lunch...never do.

Ha !
Eli but him good on his ear 🤣🤣, he bled for 30 minutes .

Please go home...

Jim

What are charging them for dinner? :)

Apparently the dispatcher forgot how to run trains today. We sat in a siding for three hours waiting on a train that never came. Our foreman got fed up and said, "Park 'em" so we got into the adjacent grain elevator track and tied down. Then we started heading for home in the truck and dispatcher came on the radio asking if we wanted authority to move. Yeah, little late there, buddy.

I guess we'll try again tomorrow. I've gotten tired of this and I put my name in on 3 different jobs on the traveling gangs. Don't really want to get back out on the road but I don't like sitting in the hole half the day and then working overtime. Plus the new 7 on, 7 off schedule sounds pretty good to me so I'm going to try. It'll be a $1.50/hour pay cut, oh well. My sanity is worth that.

@UrbanHunter any chance they could change that IJ line to a PICC in her arm? It's still a central catheter but would definitely make it easier to shower. I'm guessing from the description she has a Hickman catheter which is a pain. Was also going to suggest a port, but if she's getting daily meds, it would need to stay accessed, and would also be a pain. The PICC would be less risk for infection as well. My mom had a port when she was getting chemo. I have seen so many infections with those in immunocompromised patients (mostly fungal) so I had her get it out the minute she was done with chemo. Her oncologist was telling her to keep it as she could use it for blood draws, etc and I told him the risk of infection each time it was accessed is absolutely not worth saving some pokes.
She they tried the arm several times but no go, she is receiving milrinone and has been on it since Sept 2018 using this IV port. I think it is a little longer than they expected her to be on it... She declined the LVAD as the complications appear to be worse than the benefit and they gave her the milrinone to improve her quality of life in her final months. All things being considered she is doing very well. We have been very fortunate because she has only been re-admitted to the hospital once during that time and that was because she wanted some fast food, salt will kill you...

She they tried the arm several times but no go, she is receiving milrinone and has been on it since Sept 2018 using this IV port. I think it is a little longer than they expected her to be on it... She declined the LVAD as the complications appear to be worse than the benefit and they gave her the milrinone to improve her quality of life in her final months. All things being considered she is doing very well. We have been very fortunate because she has only been re-admitted to the hospital once during that time and that was because she wanted some fast food, salt will kill you...
Ah gotcha. Yes I've seen a lot of complications, drive-line infections, etc with LVADs. Sorry to hear you guys are having to deal with that, but good news that she's only had to be readmitted once. We have several in the CICU where I am at that have been there for a few months...:confused: Not fun to be hospitalized long term

@MoBookworm1957 297/197 and they didn't hospitalize you right away? That's a hypertensive emergency. You can do a huge amount of damage by lowering BP too quickly at those levels. I hope you are ok.
I'm home now.
Got home Saturday mid afternoon.
They brought it down gradually.
Feel fine just got headache, stiff neck.
Detailed instructions about what to do if it spikes again.
Got sent home with blood pressure machine.

Currently watching the Ryan Hall Y’all coverage of the weather while packaging up previous batches of soap. Prepping for more cutting/curing tonight. Debating making one more batch while everything is out.
Planted more seeds and ook care of all the seedlings in the greenhouse. Rose cuttings are doing great so far.
Did animal chores. Watching everyone close with this crazy weather changes.
Started another load in the freeze drier. More dog treats. Slowly getting more stuff out of the freezers.
Need to work on housework next.
Hope y’all are having a good day!

Prayer for ya @MoBookworm1957 ,

Y'all, I'm so exhausted.

Inlaws , specially big mouth , dumb ones , will wear ya out.

They drove me crazy all day.

Hey y'all ...West KY is under some serious weather warnings tonight and even worse tomorrow.
Very high risk of lots of tornadoes.

Flooding, hail and super high winds 80 mph.

Glad I got a concrete bunker.

Jim

@phideaux You stay safe down there in Kentucky! We're getting it in Iowa now too. My town is safe for the moment but 40 miles north, they're getting hammered with tornadoes and high wind. They just showed a destroyed acreage on the news. There's supposed to be another line of storms coming in around 10pm that will reach from Minnesota to Kansas. I'll be watching that one. Or I'll sleep through it like usual, take your pick...

I don't think I've showed you my bunker.
It's in one corner of my basement , below ground level.
Walls, floor and ceiling are 8" thick with wire..
It's 8ft tall, 8ft wide x 21ft long.

The top of it is my utility room.

IMG_20220412_185939421.jpg
IMG_20220412_185915131.jpg

We and some of my family will probly use it , next 2 days.

Jim

Last edited:
It's 8ft talk, 8ft wide x 21ft long.

View attachment 84363View attachment 84364

Jim

Gee, what's on the red shelves?

It's 8ft talk, 8ft wide x 21ft long.

View attachment 84363View attachment 84364

Jim

Very nice!

No need for drywall. A big TV, subtle lighting, a freezer for pizza and a microwave would turn it into a man cave where could look forward 5o tornadoes. Oh and recliners so there is a place to crash.

Here is 10 hour ASMR of an F5 tornado.

Ben

Very nice!

No need for drywall. A big TV, subtle lighting, a freezer for pizza and a microwave would turn it into a man cave where could look forward 5o tornadoes. Oh and recliners so there is a place to crash.

Here is 10 hour ASMR of an F5 tornado.

Ben

No drywall. All you mention is in future plans.
It's a cistern from when house was originally built.
I have done anything to it except cut the door .
I plan on lining the walls with foam insulating board.
The echo in there is horrible.
Gonna do something on the floor and some LED lighting.
Dry as a bone.

Jim

Latest posts

Back