What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She tried but was denied due to vax status. 🤬
I wanted to play in the dirt too! Enjoy the coffee - sounds good.
Oh I didn’t hear that part.
That’s terrible, and completely unethical to not deliver treatment because of vax status. I haven’t seen that here- (other than organ transplant).
I’m enjoying the overcast day and really getting a slow start. 😔

Still a little windy here but tolerable. So I planted the 4 fruit trees. Husband brought over a few tractor buckets of aged manure to help with the planting. Also got the potatoes in finally. Taking a lunch break, then out to water stuff. Family dinner at my favorite cousin's place tonight. I begged off little granddaughter's visit with her mom and the boyfriend till next week. She has been acting pretty nuts again, and I'm not in the mood to deal with that.

Church this morning. They handed out palm fronds to everybody, and after the service the kids were dragging them all over the place. I imagine there will be a lot of parents finding palm leaves in every nook and cranny of their houses for a week...

This afternoon, I'm gonna piddle around. There's a big load of laundry to do. I need to go buy a new pair of black dress pants and some black shoes - my old ones are shot and I'm up for jury duty on the 19th. Hopefully I can weasel my way out of it.

It's over 60° but the wind is blowing about 35mph so it's miserable outside. It can stop blowing any time now. I'd like to get a nice calm sunny day for once...

Finished up the coop project today, cleaned up my mess and called it good. I can’t wait to see it in the dark. Excited to start the next project, I have to build a new well house for my shop. It’s in horrible shape like rats and termites holding are all that’s holding it together. I dread tearing it down! I’m going to build a much smaller building that will be easier to heat and take care of. I’ve put this off for way too long.

Attachments

• 14DC7DF9-AE3F-4335-A114-ECECFA9A13CB.jpeg
    14DC7DF9-AE3F-4335-A114-ECECFA9A13CB.jpeg
    403 KB
  • E97AC186-CE64-42B0-B079-0FE31438589C.jpeg
    E97AC186-CE64-42B0-B079-0FE31438589C.jpeg
    379.1 KB
  • D1BF90CC-C0CC-4BC8-AE9A-DBB9EF134C10.png
    D1BF90CC-C0CC-4BC8-AE9A-DBB9EF134C10.png
    476.9 KB
  • 3984DF95-8DD5-47C5-BE3B-53F8E65B4DFB.jpeg
    3984DF95-8DD5-47C5-BE3B-53F8E65B4DFB.jpeg
    218 KB
  • 9F5F6A6B-A217-4E32-96C0-6C8D0079464D.jpeg
    9F5F6A6B-A217-4E32-96C0-6C8D0079464D.jpeg
    261 KB
Finished up the coop project today, cleaned up my mess and called it good. I can’t wait to see it in the dark. Excited to start the next project, I have to build a new well house for my shop. It’s in horrible shape like rats and termites holding are all that’s holding it together. I dread tearing it down! I’m going to build a much smaller building that will be easier to heat and take care of. I’ve put this off for way too long.
Great name for it, looks great!!

You all have been busy. I had 5 pages to catch up in this thread.

I helped a friend Friday and Saturday. Walked first both days.
Went with friends from Church to an Easter Cantata at another Church this morning. It was wonderful!
Came home, then went to Walmart for fruit, veggies and eggs as I am back on the green smoothies for another week or so.
Walked dogs.
Went to put up chicken wire around the potato patch (something is eating my onions) and it is the wrong size chicken wire. So that will wait until tomorrow.
Hard boiled a dozen eggs, some for fridge and some for pickling.
Set up my vities for the next month.

DH seems to be doing so much better! Talk about a relief!
The IV antibiotics and the oral follow up antibiotics must have beaten down his bronchiectasis for a few months.
When he went for follow up appointment, his oxygen was low enough to prescribe it for home use. All good news!

Picked up a bulk order of ammo for my pc9 and mounted a sling and light. Between Costco and Fred Meyers our food supply is well set.it's been a process. Started rotating our fuel supply getting ready to fill our boat for the summer. Spendy nowadays but necessary. Too expensive to do all once when breakup comes, so we buy fuel bit by bit. An expensive weekend, but in a positive way.

We ended up going to 2 estate sales today. I ended up with a few books for less than $1 : C. Emery's Country Living, Back to Basics (readers digest comp.), a drawing book, and a book from the 40's on how to grow & preserve a victory garden. Like that wasn't enough, Hubby got 3 fuel tanks for $425 which is a bargain (at least around here.) We have a smaller gas tank but have 2 diesel rigs and had no diesel tank so had been looking. His thought is if we can ever find some property, we'd have a tank on each end then 2 tanks of each once we were there which would be a good thing to have on hand. Not entirely sure how we are going to pay to fill them at current prices but at least we have the tanks😂 So we spent a good part of the day in the dust and wind loading and unloading tanks. One of them has pre-ethanol gas in it so is heavy & will go to the shop so we can use the crane to lift it.

I had a wonderful afternoon, out in the brush harvesting medicine. My favorite thing to do. Wild Azalea and Sweet Shrub were in full bloom, the woods were filled with their scent. And yellowroot! I found some of the biggest plants I've ever seen, almost 3ft tall.

I've taught lots of classes, people who were curious enough to come out, enjoyable. Today I had an enthusiastic student, makes it so much more fun! She was firing questions as fast as I could answer.

We came back to my house and made tincture. Exhausted now but a nice kind of exhausted. Yes, this is me!

Karen 02 b 10apr22  5a .JPG

I had a wonderful afternoon, out in the brush harvesting medicine. My favorite thing to do. Wild Azalea and Sweet Shrub were in full bloom, the woods were filled with their scent. And yellowroot! I found some of the biggest plants I've ever seen, almost 3ft tall.

I've taught lots of classes, people who were curious enough to come out, enjoyable. Today I had an enthusiastic student, makes it so much more fun! She was firing questions as fast as I could answer.

We came back to my house and made tincture. Exhausted now but a nice kind of exhausted. Yes, this is me!

View attachment 84256
ALMOST YOU!!

HB, I love the setup for your chickens! Wish I lived near enough to you to pass on the brooder boxes sitting in my barn unused. Dad made them and I'm worried they will be destroyed when the barn eventually collapses (its slowly falling down after a dead tree from outside the yard fell on it). I am considering moving them somewhere but not sure where or if I can even lift them. I love the lights. That is such a cool idea!
You should post those images on Pinterest and Houzz (then I can repost them on my pinterest and houzz pages).

My days of rest seem to have helped quite a bit. I do feel slightly tired but I feel better rested and not as sore. I was able to walk fast an move much better today. Slept until after 3pm, got up, fed kitties, let puppies out, cleaned up after them, fed them, had a snack, got food for Mom, went to the store, visited my friend & held kittens, got gas, stopped for sweet feed at TSC, unloaded groceries, & am checking forums now.

I happened to mention to my friend that I have a whole box of old Barbies (bc I saw his daughter playing with a Barbie-- she was asking for more clothes for her Barbie) including a Barbie car and boat. I was starting to say I wanted to give them to her when she asked if she "can please have them please". I told her if I could find them she could. I need to check the boxes in the workshop loft-- if I can move stuff enough to lower the ladder (it has hinges and a rope with a hook on the ceiling to pull it up).

Tomorrow I'm going to meet up with my friend to put gas in his car so he can make it to work until he gets paid Wednesday. He's having a tough time right now bc he had to kick his ex out for being violently abusive again and has no one to watch the baby reliably. I'm going to talk to Mom and see if she would be willing to sit with the baby over there if I was also over there to help her. She can play with the baby and hold him. I can fetch stuff for her if she needs. She held the baby a lot when we were evacuated over there after the hurricane.

What the heck is with this year?
RAIN again today with storms this afternoon.
Severe storms coming Wednesday.

I swear, we have not gone more than 1 week without serious rain and severe storms.

Don't matter, I'm stuck in a utility room that's trying to kill me. Today will be final sanding and paint 2 of 3 walls.
Tomorrow I get a break, wife's nephew (DA) is coming to visit from TN.

Wednesday , move washer and dryer and start last wall . Light at the end of tunnel.

Then there's the flooring.

Eli is starting his male dominance "marking" process. That will stop when he's 6 months old.

He's well trained for do his business outside, but got 2-3 spots in house he pees a teaspoon once in a while..marking his territory.
Caught him humping his stuffed puppy yesterday....that will be fixed also when he's 6 mo.

Watching it rain , drinking coffee.

Later ,
If I survive that evil room.

Jim

What the heck is with this year?
RAIN again today with storms this afternoon.
Severe storms coming Wednesday.

I swear, we have not gone more than 1 week without serious rain and severe storms.

Don't matter, I'm stuck in a utility room that's trying to kill me. Today will be final sanding and paint 2 of 3 walls.
Tomorrow I get a break, wife's nephew (DA) is coming to visit from TN.

Wednesday , move washer and dryer and start last wall . Light at the end of tunnel.

Then there's the flooring.

Eli is starting his male dominance "marking" process. That will stop when he's 6 months old.

He's well trained for do his business outside, but got 2-3 spots in house he pees a teaspoon once in a while..marking his territory.
Caught him humping his stuffed puppy yesterday....that will be fixed also when he's 6 mo.

Watching it rain , drinking coffee.

Later ,
If I survive that evil room.

Jim
Sounds like Eli is busy having fun while he can!😃 And just think of all the fun you'll have mowing this summer after all the rain!!😁

Crazy weather here. 45 and windy. Huge dark clouds and it was snowing just to the west of us today.
I slept in until 8 am. I never do that! I think this new med I’m taking helps me to sleep. Usually I’m tossing and turning all night until I wake up at 4 am.
Got up, took care of the dogs. I need to go take care of the chickens but I don’t want to go outside!
Packed up the rest of the office. Trying to figure out what else I want to pack. Maybe my clothes. I’m going to condense everything down to just one plastic container to put in the RV. Once we move I’ll put away my nice scrubs and wear the scratchy hospital ones so I can dump them there and not have to wash them! 🤣 I did that during the peak of Covid, but broke out in a rash because the detergent they use is so harsh.
Other than that, need to finish getting my daughter registered for college today. Maybe do some grocery shopping.

Vacuum sealing for LTS, filling 5 gallon food grade buckets. 5 more to go, what a pain, lol, but if needed I won't be a complainin'.

I'm a little disappointed as to how much will fit in one.,, but oh well, with enough of them we'll have enough for a year anyway, probably longer actually.

Finished my older sister’s taxes. Hand delivered them to her before I forget.

This winter I had a gun smith look over my aging rifle. First competition is coming up soon. Gun range to test the rifle. 20 rounds, 5 took two hits to fire and 2 more rounds refused to fire. Gun Smith told me he had lighten the hammer spring, worked with his ammo. Two bolts to remove the stock to remove the washer he had placed under the hammer spring. Fired another 30 rounds without any problems. :)

On the way home from the range I stopped at the gravel yard. Ordered 40 tons of #73 limestone with fines. They are running two weeks out. If folks would stay on the driveway instead of in the yard. ..:(

Deprime the brass I used testing the rifle. Wet tumbled and then air dry.

Reloaded freedom seeds until I ran out of small rifle primers.

Ran the RV chassis engine and generator for the month.

Debating with myself if I should take a nap or go see if the Mail is here.

It's 78° here and cloudy. It was sunny and even hotter earlier. I got out and trimmed some blackberry weeds after letting puppies out and feeding them. Also fed kitties and checked to see if Mom wanted food, but she was making herself a sandwich.

I'm cooling off and resting now.

Sat and waited for husband's MRI 2 hrs this morning. Computer systems were down. Bleech. We have an appt for either him or the grandkids every single day this week. Not my favorite thing to do is to spend all morning every morning in waiting rooms. Tomorrow will be granddaughter's two hr dental appt. I brought Stephen Smith's new book this morning and am halfway through it.
Begonia tubers came in this morning that husband ordered. I planted them in pots. There are 12 pots indoors on the woodburning stove waiting for warmer weather. Planted two big porch pots with pansies. Going out to water the other stuff. Granddaughters should be home any minute. Grandson is at tennis practice.

What do you do with those? I thought Azaleas were poisonous. We had a bunch growing in front of our house in Florida

I am officially tired. Planted 1 row of potatoes ( maybe 100 ft) , one row of yellow, one row of red onion. Transplanted some kale , bok choy, beets , lettuce, and broccolie plants outside from the pots ( I know it will freeze again at some point but I will just cover them all with blankets)
Cleaned extra bedroom in case daughter actually makes it for a visit this weekend
colored my hair
this is besides the regular everyday stuff like taking care of the animals , cooking and doing dishes
Tomorrow is shopping. Son is going to drive me to Roanoke ( I hate driving on 81 that far!!!) and we are going to buy a new washer I hope, plus Sams

Another less than productive day at work. Has some equipment breakdowns and then tried to fix a spot where the rail gang installed too much rail when it was too cold. Rail expands and gets longer when it heats up, and if it expands too much it will kick out and not be straight any more. This is a big cause of derailments. There was so much excess rail in this spot that we couldn't straighten it, it just kicked back out again. The yard gang will have to cut some out.

We then traveled 35 miles north and tied down. Tomorrow will be a 40 mile travel and surfacing another derailment. This one was minor but it's still a big problem.

Oh, and I finally got my new smarter than me phone set up, what an arduous task.

Never switch numbers if you don't have to, I didn't have a choice.

Latest posts

Back