What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salmon loaf? sounds yummy! got a recipe?

Quail are so cool to see running around, funny little noises they make.
I've always thought they are so cute. We saw them a lot when we lived in Quartzsite. I also like them in gravy over rice. LOL My grandad used to shoot them for dinner.

Today should be easy. Church first.
Walk dogs.
Wash sheets, blankets and dog blankets.
You all have a good week!

Jake and I cut open the bee tree this morning we got a 5 gallon bucket full of comb to process today. Not a sting for either of us.
IMG_0193.jpeg
IMG_0195.jpeg
IMG_0199.jpeg

A sweet little family of quail came by today..a ton of babies..not sure if I shared these pics yet..
We usually don't see many quail up at our place, sometimes we get some Huns around here though. And a lot of grouse. A couple years ago I raised a bunch of chuckers and turned them loose. Still see them now and then.

Lets see if I can remember:
Soak your buds overnight in sugar water or until they get "poofy".
Melt some honey in a double boiler.
gently lay them in the simmering honey for 45 minutes and lay them on a bed of powdered sugar, roll, and cure in the freezer. pot pops! LOL

Lets see if I can remember:
Soak your buds overnight in sugar water or until they get "poofy".
Melt some honey in a double boiler.
gently lay them in the simmering honey for 45 minutes and lay them on a bed of powdered sugar, roll, and cure in the freezer. pot pops! LOL
Is it for eating then?

Over the years I have decided that I need to have a firm hand on the operation of the cleaning of the house. And my wife agrees with my firm hand approach as long as it is wrapped around the handle of the vacuum cleaner and a mop

Headed to Church. To talk to the big guy
If anyone here wants to join me
Facebook
Meadville ms
Pleasant valley Baptist church is live at 11am

Hooch, I just watched a family of quail troop through my yard... they stopped at one ground feeder to eat some cracked corn, lol. They come through every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, and there are other quail too, but I noticed this large family before so I recognize 'em when they pass through my yard. There are heaps of doves & quail here in this area, the hawk tried to catch one the other day but missed... young hawk, doesn't have the skills yet. 😒

Gonna enjoy a quiet Sunday here as usual, no plans to go anywhere... even though I think the weather forecasts are off, I saw a cooling trend ahead, with the temps dropping into the low 90s and even the 80s this week. About time too, I'm already over this summer and have been for awhile. I hope we catch some of that rain from the hurricane, but I dunno if it's headed in this direction... if it does come this way, it has to cross a number of mountain ranges. :confused:

Today the smoke is terrible with an AQI almost to 500 so staying inside. I was up coughing most of the night and we had lost power as not enough batteries still- so I couldn’t run my air purifier without turning on the generator (which we did several times during the night).

Wind is holding and blowing from the north heading west so thankfully the fire headed away from us and headed right down I-90 (we are a few miles east).
If the wind changes direction to the east we are screwed but so far so good. Hoping they get it under control, it’s over 10k acres and at 0% containment still.
We are all packed up, everything in our (mostly) fireproof containers and sprinklers have been going non stop. RV is ready to be towed out if needed.

Multiple escape routes plotted and the evac plan has been gone over several times. Hoping hurricane Hilary makes its way up here by tomorrow or Tuesday so we can get some rain.

Today the smoke is terrible with an AQI almost to 500 so staying inside. I was up coughing most of the night and we had lost power as not enough batteries still- so I couldn’t run my air purifier without turning on the generator (which we did several times during the night).

Wind is holding and blowing from the north heading west so thankfully the fire headed away from us and headed right down I-90 (we are a few miles east).
If the wind changes direction to the east we are screwed but so far so good. Hoping they get it under control, it’s over 10k acres and at 0% containment still.
We are all packed up, everything in our (mostly) fireproof containers and sprinklers have been going non stop. RV is ready to be towed out if needed.

Multiple escape routes plotted and the evac plan has been gone over several times. Hoping hurricane Hilary makes its way up here by tomorrow or Tuesday so we can get some rain.
It's been pretty smokey here too. There's some fires a little east and north of us. They don't make the news because there's no houses being threatened. Right now the wind is coming out of the south and we've had a few drops of rain already. Not enough to wet the ground, but it could be a start. Temps are in the upper 60's so far. I think the smoke is mostly staying up north. Our daughter lives up near the Newport fire near the Idaho/Washington border.
I hope we get some rain out of this storm. The Forest Service is still planing on starting a "prescribed" burn around 4 sides of our property this summer or fall.

@Frodo that sounds like my hubs and I lol, when we first married he would drop these comments about this or that I could do better, now I was very much pregnant with our daughter at the time, he made a comment about me not mopping so I politely filled the mop bucket brought it to him and said if I didn't do it to your standard do it yourself, lol he did it and still does if I get behind and it's bugging him he'll clean it up

Today must be Sunday. We had biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

A few years ago my wife was nagging that she wanted more help around the house. So I went out and imported a Thai housekeeper. They became really good friends after awhile. I miss her Thai cooking.
What kind of gravy?
White flour?
Sausage?
Tomato? My favotite

Collecting the tools for our walk through tomorrow, prior to closing on Tuesday. a few little niggles after closing but nothing an hour won't fix.

For moving, I'm thinking pack our boxes and move those, for the heavy stuff hire a company with some husky young men to move. Thats what we did when I was a lot younger.

My office is filled with empty boxes, the back of my Subaru is packed with stuff.

WTHeck was I thinking :p

Last night while the wife was doing dishes she let out a scream. When I checked it out the window screens were covered with Morman crickets. Kind of made for a spooky sight.
I'd like to catch a box of them and send to Bill Gates, or whoever is pushing for us to start eating bugs. Just one squashed cricket would make a hamburger sized patty.

Lol I love a thick slice of tomato with biscuits and gravy, I don't like it in my gravy tho ....lol
Try this
1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup flour
Make a rue

Add to the rue
Can of drained
Lol I love a thick slice of tomato with biscuits and gravy, I don't like it in my gravy tho ....lol
try this
1/4 cup butter or bacon grease
1/4 cup flour
Make a rue

Add to the rue
1 can drained retell and green chilies
1 can tomato paste
Cup of milk
Simmer and let it thicken
You may have to add more milk or water to get desired thickness

Brown up a 1/2 pound hound sausage
Drain. Add to gravy

The secret to a good tomato gravy is pepper, you want a lot of pepper

Brothers here this weekend, all the basement windows are in, I just have to finish the painting and caulking.
Well pit has been filled with sand.
Basement plumbing redone to separate washing machine from sump crock.
Closing on the new place is tomorrow!

Prayers for those affected by the fires and the heat.

Today the smoke is terrible with an AQI almost to 500 so staying inside.

If the wind changes direction to the east we are screwed but so far so good.

In case you have no experience with hurricanes... The closer it gets the more the wind shifts, from coming out of the north to coming out of the east. It should continue heading out to sea. Think of a big circle spinning counter-clockwise, a 1000 miles across.

I see upper level winds change here when hurricanes are still 800-1000 miles away. Sort of amazing how something so far away can directly affect me. But they do!!! Hopefully it loses energy the further north it travels. Cold water = no heat = no power.
--------------------

Major house cleaning today, even tackled the bathroom with CLR and steel wool. Tossed the wolf spider outside that had been living in the bathroom. He wasn't helping the cricket issue anyway.

Started prepping for next weekend... Gonna try to play music on pine mtn. If I'm ready by tomorrow I'll have the week to rest up before leaving on friday.

Last edited:
Back