What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake and Lilly out on the town tonight.

IMG_0191.jpeg

Did something I have never done in my whole life - allowed a campaign sign to be put up in our yard. :oops:
Why?
The girl that stopped by was running for city council.
When she walked up, I said: "Wait, I know you!:oops:".
She said that she and her husband owned our local pharmacy.
I said: "You guys are the people keeping me alive!😍".:huggs:

Last edited:
Started building the new deck on the south side of the chicken coop, and a new door to access the deck in the run. Last year I built a roof over the west side of the coop in order to keep the chicken door snow free.
When I get the new deck finished I'm going to frame in an egg room. I'll build new nest boxes at an angle so the eggs will roll to a box that we can collect the eggs from outside. That should stop the hens from eating the eggs.
Got all the bolts tightened on the new solar panels. I fell off the ladder twice. First time I fell I grabbed a cross bar then dropped to the ground. The second time the ladder went down and I landed on top of the ladder. Tomorrow I'll tilt the panels and connect the wires. Next week I'll buy 400 feet of 10ga wire and conduit to go from the new panels to the electrical room.
High temp today was 76 degs. It was really smokey today too.

Trying to find self closing 3/8" inset polished gold/brass hinges in bulk to replace the corroded ones on my cabinet doors. Not having much luck. I think I need at least 50 or 60 but am not certain. Once I get the kitchen cleaned up more I'll be able to put them on. I want self closing because it will be harder for the cats to get into the cabinets
Home Depot has them, I saw them the other day, but I think they're just plated, not real brass.

Found dead calf today. Last cow to calf. Husband kept saying she was sick, panting and tongue hanging out coughing. She was an older, fat, black cow that was bred and this heat was hard on her. He has argued for a week that she was not bred. I was right. Looks like calf fell wrong to me. I did straighten head around and she was still cleaning it and talking to it. I saw no evidence of breathing. It was small. Maybe there is another one? Too much to hope for. Blessed as this is the second loss of calf ever. This years crop of 9 live calves and 8 are heifers! Replacements!

That's a lot of stings @hashbrown !

I walked first.
Went to a yard sale.
Made a salmon loaf
Large pan of popcorn
Cornbread
Kind of an odds and ends cooking day.
Too hot to prune roses this morning.
Salmon loaf? sounds yummy! got a recipe?

Found dead calf today. Last cow to calf. Husband kept saying she was sick, panting and tongue hanging out coughing. She was an older, fat, black cow that was bred and this heat was hard on her. He has argued for a week that she was not bred. I was right. Looks like calf fell wrong to me. I did straighten head around and she was still cleaning it and talking to it. I saw no evidence of breathing. It was small. Maybe there is another one? Too much to hope for. Blessed as this is the second loss of calf ever. This years crop of 9 live calves and 8 are heifers! Replacements!
Several years ago we butchered a pregnant cow. I took the unborn calf, skinned it and tanned the hide. Unborn calf makes the best leather there is. We lose calves every now and then too. Sometimes to predators, sometimes they freeze and sometimes for no apparent reason. It's just part of ranching.
It's kind of funny, I'm always hoping for more bull calves. Steers grow faster and generally bring more money than heifers.

Oh yeah, what I did:
Paid bills.
Treated the clan to pizza and steak subs.
Put a touch on the local economy and got a bit more of my shop clean.
found that missing pistol up inside my pillowcase.
Popped my back going to the toilet.
Smoked some painkiller #420. all good!

Long day. Started around midnight. Damn fire alarm went off, scared me and the dog both. Shut it down and checked both floors of the house, basmeent andthe AC unit outside. NADA. Back to bed, 2:30 same thing. 5:30 same thing. 7 am same thing. Finally hadn't figured out what was going on, so I emptied the closet where the control box is. It has a 12v 5A battery to run the system if we lose power. I've had to replace the battery before and it gave some funky alarm. So I figure thats it. Pull it out and get ready to go buy one and alarm goes off again. At this point I pulled the bed room alarm down and unplug the unit. Buy the battery, get home and reinstall it and plug the system back up. No problem, so I go out and mow for several hours. Finished with all I had going on and went back inside. Had supper and decided to hook up the alarm I had pulled. Within an hour the alarm went off again. Pulled it back off and no trouble sense. I'll order a new one Monday, actually 2. Both of them are same age, so might as well have a spare for it too.
Planned to dig the rest of my taters, nope didn't happen. Hopefully I'll get to that in the morning

Made me hold my breath for a second there @Bacpacker glad it is just acting up and that's all!
Short staffed, ac not working efficiently, high temps outside.
@hashbrown that first tree coming down was freaky. Glad the roots didn't mess up your foundation.
Sheesh @Mountain trapper no broken ribs, I hope. Ladders are great. I have one set up out in the backyard for the squirrels to run up and down. 😀
@Supervisor42 I never have either. 🧐

Had a very hot adoption event at an agriculture store from 10-2. It was hotter than hell. One dog got adopted. Then we came home, napped and I made the chicken cordon bleu I started to make last night.

Attachments

• IMG_9436.png
    IMG_9436.png
    2 MB
  • IMG_9445.jpeg
    IMG_9445.jpeg
    2.3 MB
  • IMG_9447.jpeg
    IMG_9447.jpeg
    977.4 KB
Last edited:
Had a full day..
Walked dogs,
Took dogs home n back to town to get a few things n gas up.
Dump run..
Put away a cord of wood..
Fetched about 20 hay bales out in the field n stacked them. Some in the barn, some outside n tarped them up. Outside ones are extra that the winter elk will enjoy.
I destroyed a pint of strawberry Hagen daz..so far that was my breakfast lunch n dinner
The dogs helped too..
I think some soup sounds great but I have to get up..
I'm beat..lol..
Lounging in my lazy chair after a well earned shower now, catching up on news n here.
Were supposed to get 1 to 3 inches of rain..a hour.. from the cali hurricane and another system it will bounce into over here ..so that why today it was a mad rush to get stuff done..

Morning all, Especially @Pearl 'cause I know you're UP! :p

Today being Saturday I am planning to do a little laundry, work on my newest battery backup systems, one for my down stairs freezers and an up-grade of the one for the oxygen concentrator. I plan to pre-assemble them on the floor and test function (I am using my solar array inverter to operate inverter/chargers connected to separate battery banks), because I am in uncharted territory here I want to test everything as I go. Then around 9AM I am going to meet a buddy at the hunting area and go for walks in areas new to me, looking for greener pastures :archery: :cool:. Need to be back home by 2PM, I want to grill some chicken and the wife had me thaw a pork-butt that she wants to make pulled pork from. Before the day ends I need to mow the lawn :barf:, I do that last thing because I have to shower right afterwards or I look like I have been rolling in poison ivy...

I am going to tell you how I managed to get out of doing laundry forever
Yep, FOREVER, I have not washed any clothes since 1990
Granted. I have been adjudicated by
TOMBO ( The One who Must Be Obeyed)
As to ignorant to wash clothes, I am ok with that
I noticed my new Wife’s very expensive cashmere sweater neededcleaning
Into the washer it Went.
I also had 2 pair of new Levies that were stiff and some underwear
Washed it all in hot watet popped it into the dryer on hot
Rut roo. Something is wrong with the sweater, it is blotchy blue and really small
Wife came home and we had our first disagreement as newly weds
Doors slammed, I bought a new sweater and was
Adjudicated on the spot as to be too stupid to be allowed in the laundry room
A life long sentence was handed out with out parole

I am going to tell you how I managed to get out of doing laundry forever
Yep, FOREVER, I have not washed any clothes since 1990
Granted. I have been adjudicated by
TOMBO ( The One who Must Be Obeyed)
As to ignorant to wash clothes, I am ok with that
I noticed my new Wife’s very expensive cashmere sweater neededcleaning
Into the washer it Went.
I also had 2 pair of new Levies that were stiff and some underwear
Washed it all in hot watet popped it into the dryer on hot
Rut roo. Something is wrong with the sweater, it is blotchy blue and really small
Wife came home and we had our first disagreement as newly weds
Doors slammed, I bought a new sweater and was
Adjudicated on the spot as to be too stupid to be allowed in the laundry room
A life long sentence was handed out with out parole
My wife's health has prevented her from doing stairs or the laundry for 16 years, so if it's going to get done I'm going to have to do it. I try to do the laundry properly, sort all clothes, wash on the proper temperatures, and only dry on low heat. I never machine wash knits.... (FYI, one of the wife's friends asked her how she gets our whites to stay white!)

This year my wife's health has declined to the point where she could either cook or wash the dishes, but not both. We both agreed that we would be better off if I washed dishes and she cooks dinner! I am trying to shadow her when she is cooking (helping chop vegetables and tending the skillet when her strength wains) to learn the recipes and tricks she uses because there will come a time when she can't cook...

My wife and I have been a good team, she carried much of the load early in our marriage and even more when we decided that I should go back to school with 2 kids at home. It was hard but a good choice as I would not have been able to fully support our family before that change. I have carried most of the load for the last 20 years, but that only fair.

Made me hold my breath for a second there @Bacpacker glad it is just acting up and that's all!
Short staffed, ac not working efficiently, high temps outside.
@hashbrown that first tree coming down was freaky. Glad the roots didn't mess up your foundation.
Sheesh @Mountain trapper no broken ribs, I hope. Ladders are great. I have one set up out in the backyard for the squirrels to run up and down. 😀
@Supervisor42 I never have either. 🧐
We dug through the roots on the side and back with a backhoe to prevent heaving the foundation.

It's not a huge zoo with lots and lots of animals on display like the San Diego zoo or the Henry Doorly zoo in Omaha. But the quality of the displays is fantastic! They've gone to great lengths to provide a more natural, realistic habitat than most zoos seem to, with really large spaces for each species. I was really impressed...
we went to the one in Omaha, that was the most awesome zoo we've been to.
Glad you are having fun with your daughter !!
( and I had purple hair once in the 70s LOL

Went to the market yesterday and sold a ton of tomatoes but still have enough left to can sauce, so that will be my project today other than the regular chores.
I am surprised how much we sold, there were not really that many people there. But 3 of the 5 bread/pastry bakers were missing, so I sold all my bread in the first few hours and people were looking for more. I can only bake so much in one day by myself....
Met a woman from Ukraine that wants me to bake her some rye bread and come pick it up. She says she has 10 kids and homeschools, and doesn't have time. We'll see if she really calls and orders the bread. I think she might have been muslim ( head covered but not Amish) She told me they had sheep also. We both agreed that typical American bread from the store sucks. It sure was shocking to me what passed for bread when I first moved to the US. Most Noerthern Europeans are used to heavy dense rye bread with a lot of flavor, not mushy white stuff that doesn't mold and has to be toasted to a crisp to be eatable .

Last night I finished pressure canning 22 pints of cream style corn. I picked it, cut both ends off and bagged in freezer several weeks ago. Thawed, blanched, cut off cob and boiled. It worked beautifully. Daughter may come to pressure can today. Her husband told her about lockdown protocols to roll out mid September. Anyone else hear this?
what lockdown protocols?!

So sorry about the calf. It seems incredibly difficult to raise cows. They only have one calf and a lot of them don't seem to make it. This is one of the reasons our friends stopped being farmers. They just didn't do well with the cows. We can breed 10 goats and end up with 30 kids, and most of the time all of the survive, or we might have a few stillborns and still have 30 live ones. Sheep usually have more than one also but more die. We just lost a lamb to Listeria.
I hope all the rest of yours stay alive

I went over to the hunting property and worked on their database for a couple of hours, then hit w-mart on the way home to pick up some more juice. I am noticing that since I cut back on the Diet Coke, I can no longer drink it on an empty stomach... I have a couple hours before church so I plan on making ups some of the wiring connections for my battery backup upgrades... I have my last load of laundry in the washer ready to run as soon a the wife wakes up.

On my health issues I am finding that my afternoon snacks are what is putting the nail in my coffin (sugar wise), so I did pick up some sugar free gun and candy in hopes of raining that in. I did e-mail my doctor and asked them to put me on Metformin to see if it will help me get it under control.. But no response yet.

Had a very hot adoption event at an agriculture store from 10-2. It was hotter than hell. One dog got adopted. Then we came home, napped and I made the chicken cordon bleu I started to make last night.
I LOVE chicken cordon bleu!! At least ONE dog got adopted, better than none!

Latest posts

Back