What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@LadyLocust It’s confusing as heck if you decide to buy some. This was my last purchase, usda organic, grown in Sri Lanka (Ceylon). Ceylon cinnamon isn’t very aromatic like the cinnamon I can buy at the grocery store. At the market it’s usually Vietnamese cinnamon which is flavorful but very weak medicinally. For good medicine I only buy Ceylon cinnamon grown in Sri Lanka.

I use it for arthritis, Ceylon cinnamon tea with honey. Oddly enough it was recommended by my orthopedic surgeon. A Charolais bull injured my my knee. It was either surgery or make tea occasionally. I like the tea, works great for arthritis!

Also, i only buy cinnamon bark in sticks. (it curls up into rolls when harvested and dried)

View attachment 114561
I did not know that! But lucky, I just looked at what I got which is "cinnamon (cinnamomum zeylanicum nees)" from Sri Lanka.

@LadyLocust Good, glad you found the good stuff. The last few years it's gotten more and more confusing to purchase. For instance, Vietnam grows/exports 5 species of cinnamon, including cinnamomum zeylanicum, which is orginally from Sri Lanka. And Sri Lanka also grows and exports vietnamese cinnamon!

So, to cut thru all the mess I try find someone growing/exporting cin. zey. from Sir Lanka. The only thing I'm sure of is that what i purchased smells and tastes a lot weaker than vietnamese from the market. It has the correct species name and certificated organic. And it also works...

@LadyLocust Good, glad you found the good stuff. The last few years it's gotten more and more confusing to purchase. For instance, Vietnam grows/exports 5 species of cinnamon, including cinnamomum zeylanicum, which is orginally from Sri Lanka. And Sri Lanka also grows and exports vietnamese cinnamon!

So, to cut thru all the mess I try find someone growing/exporting cin. zey. from Sir Lanka. The only thing I'm sure of is that what i purchased smells and tastes a lot weaker than vietnamese from the market. It has the correct species name and certificated organic. And it also works...
I got mine through Azure Standard in case anyone else here is on the hunt for it - now there are a couple options.

Bees are completely hived now and ready to be moved tonight. I took a feeder down there to help get them started.

IMG_0225.png

@hashbrown question/clarification: You found the queen and put her in the box? I mean, how do you even hold on to a bee without hurting her?
(I caught a baby gecko recently and was so afraid I'd squish him or his tail would fail off in my hand but all went fine. He was only about 3/4" long).

@hashbrown question/clarification: You found the queen and put her in the box? I mean, how do you even hold on to a bee without hurting her?
(I caught a baby gecko recently and was so afraid I'd squish him or his tail would fail off in my hand but all went fine. He was only about 3/4" long).
There are two geckos living in our master bathroom, the cats haven't found them yet! Neither has Hubby!!😉😃

And I really NEED to, I have cleaning lady nails at the moment!! So are you going all out fancy tomorrow??👄💅🛀👸
I won't know until I open the drawer and am ready to do them. Need to do some rasping on them this evening. I have digging in the garden and metal shop nails at the moment.

Wow...that temp sounds good to me at the moment. We've been in the bigger town all day for doc appts....five hours later and finally home. Went to check on animals, and 3 chickens dead. This heat is brutal. I lost one yesterday, but we're on day three of 108 to 109. They get ice water in the afternoon and frozen corn, and a ceiling spray of water with the hose. Poor old girls. Turkeys all got ice water too, and now I'm having mine.

We've had over 2.5 inches of rain so far today. The wind is starting come up now and the temp is 56 degs. Doesn't really feel like August. Even though our driveway is washing away I still like the rain.
No rain yet, temp is 76 and we can see clouds! Rain is forecast in about an hour. Here's hoping.
AQI down to 128 which feels so much better (although still unhealthy) Yesterday it was up to 497.

No rain yet, temp is 76 and we can see clouds! Rain is forecast in about an hour. Here's hoping.
AQI down to 128 which feels so much better (although still unhealthy) Yesterday it was up to 497.
We went most of the summer without any smoke at all. It was nice. Earlier this spring the Forest Service started some fires along our north property line. It caused a lot of smoke but they couldn't keep the fire burning. They plan to start burning again later this summer.

Stopped by this spot today, haven’t been here in years. I cut this hay for a decade, grew some great hay here, about 20acres. Some steep ground around the far end, came close to rolling a tractor more than once. It was a cousin's farm, their son still owns it. In the distance I can see little pines sprouting in the field… guess he’ll let it grow up…

Saw another cousin today, we stopped in the middle of the road and talked a while, lol, no traffic! Haven’t seen him since his mother passed away, 10yrs?… it was good to see him.

Major house cleaning continues, thinking about painting the bathroom.

20230821_15phil43sm.jpg

I didn’t find the queen it was dark and I was in a hurry. Most of the bees were balled up in one area so I was pretty sure the queen was in the ball. I swept the ball into the hive and got lucky.

My son and his wife are expecting a baby to be born in February. Genetic testing for health came back all normal and the baby is a boy. Now for the 😱 factor. Their only other child is a girl and she is going into her second year of college. 🤣🤣🤣 OOPS. But I’m very excited for this new baby.

Queen is found at 651-700.

Latest posts

Back