What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a mad dash to the homestead yesterday afternoon to load up the tractor. Last two times I've used it, the electrical system has failed me. Either the voltage regulator or the generator is the problem. I ordered a conversion kit for it, swap out the generator and VR for an alternator. Pulled in to driveway last night about 2330. Glad that I had installed a winch on my car hauler, had to use the winch to pull the tractor up onto it, then chained her down.

20230826_192344.jpg

Going to can some salsa today, then make some roasted tomato soup to can this week. Tons of maters this year, last year we had just enough to eat fresh and put up 24 pints of salsa. This year I've been giving them away to everyone who walks through the door at the shop.

Planning this week to clean up the tractor, do the alternator conversion and get started on installing a loader on it. We bought another couple acres next to ours that is covered in brush, junk cars and and an old house. I want it cleaned out by winter, having a loader is going to be necessary for this job. Watching a 68 check g50 grain truck in a local auction. Hopefully the bidding doesn't go too high, I'd really like to have a truck with a dump box like it has for this project. Roll off dumpster rental in the homestead area is really expensive. A 20 yard roll off is $780 a week plus dump fees. I'm guessing I'll need it dumped at least 4 times and I can't get down there for more than three days at a go. If I can snag this grain truck, I can be a little more flexible with filling and dumping it. Plus it will come in handy hauling crushed rock and gravel for the pole barn build.

Either the voltage regulator or the generator is the problem. I ordered a conversion kit for it, swap out the generator and VR for an alternator.

View attachment 114979

Where'd you order the conversion kit? I have an old ford 2000 that needs that very thing.

It's a project that keeps getting shoved to the back of the shelf, time i finally deal with it.

Last edited:
Yesterday..
..dog walk,groceries and spent hours on a fence n gate repair project.
Attempted to go to bed early but ended up staying up late to watch a epic lightning storm south of me.
It was the kind that had walking jagged fingers of energy light up the huge konk mushroom looking cloud. Lightning smacking the ground n mountains..walking itself to another part of the storm..for hours.
I had plans on early bed so I could get up early n walk the dogs and finish the fence b4 it got hot.
Nope..that didnt happen.
And one of the dogs needed out a thousand times all night. Poor girl got the squirts n bad toots.
Sigh...
I will finish the fence, take the dogs to a creek get ready for the work week n relax for a few hours.

Where'd you order the conversion kit? I have an old ford 2000 that needs that very thing.

It's a project that keeps getting shoved to the back of the shelf, time i finally deal with it.
Ebay of all places, but there are several online sellers that are selling the same kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155190796219

Have you ever seen The Rounders with Ford and Fonda? Sure you have, but I used to think that was the funniest movie.
@The Lazy L have you been able to take the trailer anywhere fun this summer? We got a “real” one with indoor plumbing and everything but have been so busy this summer we’ve not used it since spring. Hopefully that changes soon.
We sold the RV. Market was high and I was the only one interested in using it.

Got one 10ga wire pulled through 200 feet of conduit between the new solar panels and the generator building. After break I'll start on the other wire. Of course I didn't get all the fittings I need, so I'll pick up what I need tomorrow after we drop the chickens off at the butcher.
I'll pick up some lumber to build the new roof over the deck on the chicken coop tomorrow too.

Cleaned some more of the goat barn. Planted my last plants for the year ( same kale and some cabbage). They might not grow big before it freezes, but I will only be out a few packs of seeds so worth a try
Made Indian food for lunch ( vegan: potato, carrot and red lentil curry and rice, mango and cucumber salad with hot peppers)

We went to the farmers market and grabbed some fresh veggies and sweet corn, I think they had some of the nicest bell peppers I have ever seen (seriously) so I had to have a couple . I got to drive again, about 5 or 6 miles back to the house. Not a peep out of the spouse, either she was too scared and couldn't speak or I did OK, lol, I never know.

We sold the RV. Market was high and I was the only one interested in using it.
Erg😕. Hope you at least got a good price as a consolation. I liked our little one for ease, but the “real” bathroom is nice in our “new” one (new to us).

Mowed the grass, took 3 hours instead of 40 minutes, but now it's the right length and the next time will be MUCH easier. Met one set of neighbors, the other side was studiously ignoring us and taking out his trash :p. Ordered some piddly parts, tub spouts were too corroded to divert, and ball catch hardware for the pantry doors. Got the water turned on for the fridge, I swear they build the house around the fridge, there is 2mm of room on each side:(

We are getting ready for the hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico to hit us overnight Tuesday into Wednesday.
Filled the truck and the extra cans with gas, fueled and fired up the generator, made sure the chainsaw is ready.
It should be just a tropical storm by the time it crosses from Cedar Key over the land, but we'll be on the "bad" side so we have to be ready for power outages.
We've got plenty of food & water, plenty of animal feed. We'll be OK.

Charging vehicle's batteries. Truck is 2021 Ram , car is 2013 Dodge battery is two years old. Truck was driven 60 miles yesterday. The Dodge hadn't been driven in over a week. Heat index has been over 115 for the last 10 days. Both of them wouldn't turn over.
The Texas heat takes them out!☹️

We are getting ready for the hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico to hit us overnight Tuesday into Wednesday.
Filled the truck and the extra cans with gas, fueled and fired up the generator, made sure the chainsaw is ready.
It should be just a tropical storm by the time it crosses from Cedar Key over the land, but we'll be on the "bad" side so we have to be ready for power outages.
We've got plenty of food & water, plenty of animal feed. We'll be OK.
Keep us posted! Be safe!

Ebay of all places, but there are several online sellers that are selling the same kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155190796219
Q. is your tractor diesel or gas? I looked at several kits. For diesel engines, in the review/comments for most there were complaints about necessary modifications to the brackets to align the pulley. Did you run into such issues?
----------------------------------

Nothing much today but rest... feel much better than the day after when I went to play music in may. I was still bad tired when I left yesterday, wasn't thinking clearly. I missed a turn, it committed me to the long way home, through the city of Birmingham. Not a problem, just 15min longer. But...

Then I got stuck on the freeway, an accident shut down 3 of 4 lanes. The heat index was over 110, the asphalt was much hotter. I happened to notice my temp gauge, was at 230 degrees and climbing to 260. Turned off my a/c and lowered the widows, great, now I'm steaming too. I forced my way across 3 lanes so I could get off an exit. Not easy in roll and stop traffic. I made more than one driver angry!!! Oh well, they'd have been more angry if I started boiling out coolant.

At least the side streets were moving. The engine temp came back down to 190 after a few blocks... dodged a bullet! I put 2 gallons of water and another of coolant in the tool box before I left home. Glad I didn't have to use them!!!

Q. is your tractor diesel or gas? I looked at several kits. For diesel engines, in the review/comments for most there were complaints about necessary modifications to the brackets to align the pulley. Did you run into such issues?
----------------------------------
Mine is the 3 cylinder gas engine. I just got the tractor back here late last night, so I'll be installing the alternator this week sometime. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

Well stood on my head in the tomatoes 🍅 pruning 🌱 and got 3 mountains of extra vines trimmed. Sweat was rolling by 8:30. 96 here today. Also picked tomatoes. Got showered and cleaned up and went to church. Stopped and grabbed Hubby a couple things he wanted for hunting. 🦌 Came home and made a batch of sausage balls for him to take. Did 2 loads of laundry and have 1 more in the washer ready to go. Chopped and processed a canner of tomatoes. Hubby made some pickles since we have a bunch of cucumbers 🥒 House is a mess, but I’m sitting 🪑. Oh yeah, been watering amongst all that.

Neighbor down the road just brought up 10 large round hay bales. We unloaded them in the rain ( was just sprinkling at the time, really raining now) . We got them unloaded and under the roof before they got very wet. So now every available roof space used up but we have enough hay for winter unless there is snow on the ground for an entire month or something ( only happened once in 7 years)
We were talking about the garden ( I asked if they wanted some tomatoes) seems like everyone around here has a bumper crop of tomatoes this year

Went outside and stood in the rain at 930 pm. Nice slow easy rain. First rain since June an I think 55 days triple digits. Emergency responders were kept busy with wreck and trees struck by lightning. Hickory trees in yard trying to die. Most people only got 1 cutting of hay so will be shortage this year.
Glad you got the rain!

Went to Samsclub to get stuff mom kvetched about not getting yesterday. Also picked up a ladder from Lowes that was on labor day sale. Been wanting one and it finally came down in price enough. But it wasn't ready in time to get it yesterday. The poor associate was struggling with the ladder and a customer saw her & offered to help. He got it in the truck and I asked if he'd mind securing it for me please. I don't normally ask stuff but I was overheated as it was 105 & my left arm was acting up. I had the bungee tie downs and he got it secured for me. I thanked him and shook his hand.

Started sprinkling and I thundering-- lightning flashing all over on the way back. Popped in to drop off stuff with my friend. The toddler was happy to see me but cried when I was leaving. The orange cat over there had her kittens inside a wall apparently. Couldn't see them and it was too hot to look around. Got home and couldn't get the stupid tie downs to unhook at first. Had to lie down on my back in the pickup bed to get one of the sides, then had to lug the ladder on to the porch. Right as I got in the house to put away groceries the power went out.

Dissected two rotisserie chickens in the dark, bagged the meat in a ziploc and shoved it in the auxiliary fridge (which only has water and barley tea). Didn't want to risk opening the other fridge and letting cold air out.

Napped and power came back on but AC was blowing hot air. Very hot air. It was like being under a blower dryer on high. I shut it off, reset the breakers and am waiting for enough time to pass for it to cool off again. Inside thermostat got to 91 before I shut the heat off. The pipe that is usually cold when AC is cooling was hot instead.

Latest posts

Back