What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went over and worked on the database at the hunting club this morning when I woke up, they will be open today and the database needed to be finished up to align with the new membership forms, I was done by 06:30. FYI I'm an early riser but today someone walked up the driveway at 03:30 and woke me up, so I figured what the heck..

I am trying to finish setting up my emergency power backup for the basement (freezers, a fridge, and sump pump) I have the batteries placed, just made cables for the ANL fuse and main DC supply. Will be short on having the inverter till next week, wattage draw came in too high for what I have on the shelf....

I have laundry and dishes that need to be done, I can do the dishes while the wife is sleeping, but the laundry will wake her up. So it's dishes first.

Moving on to next project I am working on making some growing trays that will be part of an ebb and flow indoor gardening system this winter. I want to get the trays made and tested before moving on to the next part.

This afternoon I plan to move outdoors and mow the lawn, then I need to pick okra and pull beets.

I will not have time to go for my Saturday walk in the woods today, just too much to do.

Already walked.
Shaved DH's cheeks. He will be face timing with FL family as they spread his dad's ashes.
Next, will make sweet potato cobbler for fund raiser, but not going to work it. It is about 70 miles away and would be riding with others. Would be gone about 8 hours. I'm not feeling confident enough about DH's health to risk being far away and not able to get back fast.
I have corn cobs from the corn I froze yesterday. Will make corn cob syrup with maple flavoring. I already have corn cob jelly, so want to do something new.

Workin all weekend. Not much else
For the man or off work but still working? Or maybe you duh man!
I worked today and now I'm tired, like too tired to drive. I know this because I'm sitting here trying to scroll through all y'alls' posts and can't cuz I keep falling asleep! have to be careful. Might type in my sleep! Or worse!
Today is National Dog Day. I hope everybody who has a dog gives them an extra treat and good belly rub/ear scratching!

Mowed the yard, had to put a new battery in the mower, 90 bucks for a lawn mower battery, what a bunch of hooey.

I was given a clearance model of a battery run lawn mower.

Oh, mine is a Toro Z Master 60 inch cut commercial zero turn. It needs a battery to start the 25 horse Kohler.

For the man or off work but still working? Or maybe you duh man!
I worked today and now I'm tired, like too tired to drive. I know this because I'm sitting here trying to scroll through all y'alls' posts and can't cuz I keep falling asleep! have to be careful. Might type in my sleep! Or worse!
Today is National Dog Day. I hope everybody who has a dog gives them an extra treat and good belly rub/ear scratching!
For the man. We've got so much work to do, I've got 2 crews working. Most likely will work 2 or 3 weekends in September.
Not getting much knocked off the list right now

Couple of the kids came over with 6 Grand kids in tow, cooked some brats and I got a little help picking up the twig-age. Soon to be SIL did all the trimming.

Went to a yard sale this morning- scored some cast iron. Nothing super special but I like it and the price was right.
Finally received my oil press from Holland so looking forward to learning how to use it.
Mowed the lawn and picked a few more onions. Picked cukes. Will pick ‘maters in the morning. Just cleaned up the ones that were on the counter.
Also have to get some things ready for Hubby to go hunting.

Just got home, had a wonderful time playing music today. Went up last night, a friend let me sleep in his Rv which had shore power and air conditioning. He has a beautiful home which he built, huge oak trees in front. The interior was amazing. He was an iron worker so he did all the railing for his stairs etc himself. Lots of wrought iron in the house. Had breakfast with him and his wife, she made biscuits from scratch.. 😍

Was brutally hot today but I did get in some plant hunting. Scored big time, found Boneset at my friends farm. Looked all last week here and didn’t find any. He also had cross vine by his shop, 40ft up in a tree, darn… couldn’t get it down. But, at the bluegrass event I was introduced to a lady who lives closer to me than the mountain. She has crossvine in her yard, low, on a fence. Funny, her husband has been wanting to clean up that fence but she wouldn’t let him because it was a medicine. Her hubby begged me to come get all I want. I’ll go up in a few days and help him clean off that fence. 😁

Oh, last pic… I had a blast picking with this old guy in the photo. Look at his left hand… he’s missing most of his forefinger and thumb! Yet he could play, he was very good! When he first sat down I kept screwing up. I was too busy watching his hands, trying to figure out how he could play that well with 3 fingers!!! 🤪 He was a nice old guy…

20230826_083304sm.jpg
20230826_083326sm.jpg
20230826_084905sm.jpg
20230826_135130sm.jpg

Last edited:
Peanut, I'm glad you had a good time! Those gatherings look like a lot of fun! Moi, I'm just winding down after another warm day, but I got everything done that I wanted to do today, and I even looked at the kitchen rehab work again, now that temps are dropping a bit. It just got too darned hot to mess with it earlier... and I actually have about 2 days of work to finish the kitchen, that 2-hour estimate earlier was optimistic, lol. Anyway, this cold beer tastes good, I'm not in party mode, just sipping a cold one before crawling off to read my latest Western. 🤠

A hot 73°! It is 93° in my backyard, just went out with the dog. Since the sun has set it doesn't feel so bad.
Happy Birthday early @Mountain trapper
Thanks Patchouli. Yeah, 73 doesn't sound hot, and it isn't in the shade, but the sun feels hot. I don't know if it's the low humidity we have or the thin air at our elevation. Whatever it is, it is hot in the sun.

Peanut, I'm glad you had a good time! Those gatherings look like a lot of fun! Moi, I'm just winding down after another warm day, but I got everything done that I wanted to do today, and I even looked at the kitchen rehab work again, now that temps are dropping a bit. It just got too darned hot to mess with it earlier... and I actually have about 2 days of work to finish the kitchen, that 2-hour estimate earlier was optimistic, lol. Anyway, this cold beer tastes good, I'm not in party mode, just sipping a cold one before crawling off to read my latest Western. 🤠
Have you ever seen The Rounders with Ford and Fonda? Sure you have, but I used to think that was the funniest movie.
@The Lazy L have you been able to take the trailer anywhere fun this summer? We got a “real” one with indoor plumbing and everything but have been so busy this summer we’ve not used it since spring. Hopefully that changes soon.

Great weather today for our town's heritage day. Parade this morning, tractor pulls, buggy races, quilt auction, good food. My sis and I each got a quilt. Came home after the auction, went back for dinner, the band, and fireworks. Even got the mil and my husband out, and the sis in laws. They think we're pretty hick, but I think they had a great time by the end of the evening. House full of people, and an Airbnb is full...tomorrow afternoon is our anniversary open house so that'll be fun. Alot of people stopping by. In laws and Oklahoma nephew and niece leave tomorrow night.

Was planning to take off half a day and take DW for a ride, just to get her outside... Yesterday, during her pre-op video interview the technician got fussed with all my wife's complications and scheduled an in-person interview for today. Well looking on the bright side, I already had half a day off and we will be going for a ride.

We were planning to grill Steak-n-Shrimp to celebrate a birthday, but with everything else going on we rescheduled that for Friday.

I've been going for walks in the woods on Saturdays, the area is very thick with downed trees and briers, my shins look a mess. I am debating between shin guards and snake gaiters to save my legs. Stopping the walks is not a consideration. The trouble with getting old is that we develop thin skin....
And slow reflexes to get out of the way, I say snake gaiters and I should set the example, simply because I've ran across a few rattle snakes that didn't have rattles and I've even told them before I dispatched them, that it wasn't fair to not give a warning, one time I was warned from a different source altogether, a wild turkey hen, just goes to prove, turkeys are not so dumb after all.

Finished part 1 of my painting and cleaned up. My husband and friend were at a rally last night, so this morning was spent drinking tea, looking at old photos and reminiscing. Dinner is on, so after that it will be going through a snag list of things I need himself to do for me ;)

Latest posts

Back