What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked in the garden, there was major attrition from the heat of summer, but I'm salvaging what plants are still alive. Cleaned and refilled all the hummer feeders, now they're covered in honeybees! There must be a colony nearby, had the wasps earlier this year, now the bees are going off... but I don't mind, the hummers will just have to zip in there when there's an opening, lol. I wonder if one of my neighbors has taken up beekeeping? No big deal, I like honeybees, they're not quite as aggressive as wasps (unless they're killer bees or hybrids), and usually we get along alright... haven't seen this many in a while, hopefully they don't become problematic. I don't mind working around 'em when I'm in the yard, but I don't wanna be bothered by 'em either, 10-4? :cool:

Today was picking apples (eaters) and blackberries (in between family life)... plus a lot of hacking the brambles to get at the blackberries. (all ours, not round the lanes)

about 3kg of apples and about half a kilo of blackberries... a lot more blackberries still out there, I'm guessing around another couple of kg, and a lot of apples but I need a taller ladder! a productive day but a lot more to go.

Took the chickens down this morning to be butchered. Left home at 3am to get there on time, finally got home at 5.30 pm. We'll go back down tomorrow to pick them up.
Had 300 gallons of non ethanol premium delivered today at $5.09 per gallon.
I'm grilling some ribeye steaks for my birthday dinner tonight.
High temp was 79 degs, so I have the AC on right now.

Last edited:
You're welcome, Patchouli! I hope you find some good sales. I need to go pick up my new weedeater I ordered. But not today. My back hates me.

Took out some trash, cleaned up a bit while it was still boiling inside. Cleaned litterboxes & picked up my friend. Had him replace some light switches- although one of the new switches might be bad. Not sure yet. Could also be a bulb burned out.

AC repair tech showed up and checked thermostat & found nothing wrong. Went outside & as he was removing the panel on the condenser, he had to hit it to get it to come loose. We heard a hissing sound and he said it was the reversing switch flipping. Looked inside and found one single wire in a molex connector had come loose and was not touching the pin. Bc of that, the switch wasn't getting the message to switch to cold. It is on hot by default.

So, now it is fixed and I need a nap.

I got trouble brewing, I figure I can work it out of him though! 🤣🤣🤣

IMG_0296.png
IMG_0310.png
IMG_0312.png

Well, HB, I gotta say, I'm impressed with Jake, he seems to be a hardworking young man... and I ain't no "good buddy" either, lol. You're helping Jake learn valuable skills which he'll need in the future, especially the way this country is going, yeah? So carry on, but maybe let Jake have a little fun too, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! This might be a good time to have the birth control lecture as well, if you haven't already given it... nothing wrong with having kids, but unplanned pregnancies aren't so hot. Just my $.02 on that subject, YMMV, lol. Cheers! 🍺

Got the keys to my new place! It's going to be so awesome to have a garage. I may have played with the remote and rolled the door up and down a few times....
Feeling very alone and overwhelmed over trying to get this place ready to list. There just aren't enough hours in the day or energy in this old body to do all that needs done. Worked all day, then packed some boxes, ordered new locks for the new place, discovered I can't move the sewing machine by myself, and then forced myself to go out and cut the grass after supper. We've had so much rain I can't keep up with it.
Considering buying a used utility trailer so I can get some of the big stuff moved without having to rent one. My little trailer is perfect for hauling firewood and making scrap metal runs, but it's high and narrow and scary for loading lawnmowers or tillers and the like.
Have to go to town tomorrow and buy paint for the basement walls and more wasp spray. The yellow jackets are bad this year!

Took the chickens down this morning to be butchered. Left home at 3am to get there on time, finally got home at 5.30 pm. We'll go back down tomorrow to pick them up.
Had 300 gallons of ethanol premium delivered today at $5.09 per gallon.
I'm grilling some ribeye steaks for my birthday dinner tonight.
High temp was 79 degs, so I have the AC on right now.
1693276495078.jpeg

@hashbrown with you as his dad and big Al the Queen as his Mom, I don't think he'll be making any big mistakes. You guys seem like pretty awesome parents. How's your finger?
@Heartbroken I know how hard that must be trying to get everything taken care of, but hey you have the other place now. Have you thought about getting some pods?
@Peepaw from Tex I didn't know that about batteries either (the heat).
@zannej just for like 24 hours i wish you'd have a really good day and feel okay and nobody give you any 💩
I worked on the patio/deck today, cleaning up the leaves that have fallen all summer because the trees are so dry, gathering empty plastic pots from plants, repotted some house plants (succulents mostly), visited with the offspring, laundry, dinner, business emails, and watching a Masterpiece Theater series. Back to work tomorrow.

Been a rough s
Pearl you were right on the battery being taken out by heat. Repair shop said the got restocked on batteries Thursday and he had to call at 8 this morning as they were nearly out. I am 219.00 in the hole now. Good news wife's car took a charge and is fine.
Been a rough summer here!!😉

Got the keys to my new place! It's going to be so awesome to have a garage. I may have played with the remote and rolled the door up and down a few times....
Feeling very alone and overwhelmed over trying to get this place ready to list. There just aren't enough hours in the day or energy in this old body to do all that needs done. Worked all day, then packed some boxes, ordered new locks for the new place, discovered I can't move the sewing machine by myself, and then forced myself to go out and cut the grass after supper. We've had so much rain I can't keep up with it.
Considering buying a used utility trailer so I can get some of the big stuff moved without having to rent one. My little trailer is perfect for hauling firewood and making scrap metal runs, but it's high and narrow and scary for loading lawnmowers or tillers and the like.
Have to go to town tomorrow and buy paint for the basement walls and more wasp spray. The yellow jackets are bad this year!
Sounds like you are making good decisions. Sorry you have to do this on your own!!❤️

Pearl you were right on the battery being taken out by heat. Repair shop said the got restocked on batteries Thursday and he had to call at 8 this morning as they were nearly out. I am 219.00 in the hole now. Good news wife's car took a charge and is fine.
I'm looking at passive cooling options for food storage, I've come across materials AND a PAINT that emit heat while reflecting sunlight (sounds like snake oil but I can assure you the physics is sound, I'm an R&D engineer with a strong physics background).. it's very cutting edge but for you guys in hot regions it could mean something as simple as a flat roof with no walls over a car for limited cooling, or for a house roof it can drop temperatures by many degrees below what you get in the shade. It's being looked at for food storage as well. I hope to put up a thread about it all in a week or two.

Supposed to rain a lot today and I have to take the GSD Otto to the vet for yearly shots.
Also need to do some shopping.
Did not sleep well last night. The humidity is bothering me a lot sometimes. I can't imagine living in Florida anymore. And they have yet another hurricane coming. So glad we got out, and feel bad for our friends and relatives still living there.

Well, HB, I gotta say, I'm impressed with Jake, he seems to be a hardworking young man... and I ain't no "good buddy" either, lol. You're helping Jake learn valuable skills which he'll need in the future, especially the way this country is going, yeah? So carry on, but maybe let Jake have a little fun too, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! This might be a good time to have the birth control lecture as well, if you haven't already given it... nothing wrong with having kids, but unplanned pregnancies aren't so hot. Just my $.02 on that subject, YMMV, lol. Cheers! 🍺
Jake and I talk about everything, always have. I want him to be prepared as possible. Sex has been a topic of conversation many times. My parents just ignored the conversation.

Got the keys to my new place!
Congratulations! Slow and steady if that is possible!

Happy Birthday @Mountain trapper !

I will walk first.
Take DH to doc appt.
Vote in runoff for County Sheriff.
Almost like a day off here, too!

I'm looking at passive cooling options for food storage, I've come across materials AND a PAINT that emit heat while reflecting sunlight (sounds like snake oil but I can assure you the physics is sound, I'm an R&D engineer with a strong physics background).. it's very cutting edge but for you guys in hot regions it could mean something as simple as a flat roof with no walls over a car for limited cooling, or for a house roof it can drop temperatures by many degrees below what you get in the shade. It's being looked at for food storage as well. I hope to put up a thread about it all in a week or two.
I'd be very interested in learning more about that. Links to articles, etc.

Was awake early thanks to the phone at 6.15; The man said Hello, it's Darren, with a local accent, but with the kind of voice like my friend's son, who is disabled. Then the line cut out. Haven't a clue who it was. Anyway I decided to put the day to good use; I've cleaned up some veg beds, closed up two full compost bins, watered the polytunnel and harvested what was ready - some mange tout, strawberries, nasturtium seeds, blueberries, raspberries, peas, courgettes and tomatoes. Emptied out pots and windowboxes and finally cut back butternut squash and pumpkin vines so what little sun we get can reach them. I'm more than a little excited about the pumpkin t.b.h
Then into the kitchen, where cleaned up the larder & fridge, prepped veg for dinner, made veg soup, and one (!) jar of jam from strawberries that won't get used, a lasagne and two mince pies from the really good quality mince that was on sale yesterday. Uni starts back in two weeks for myself and the youngest two, so will be stocking up the freezer so I have dinners ready. Going to curl up do some studying now- my reading list is a mile long :D
IMG_20230829_103719_resized_20230829_023624650.jpg

IMG_20230829_103658_resized_20230829_023625611.jpg

@Patchouli Its just the sort of luck I have. LOL. I'm used to chaos in my life. Ooh, I like Masterpiece Theater. Today I'm resting a bit before I finish some trash cleanup, refill litterboxes (bc I forgot yesterday), and go pick up my new weedeater.

I had to contact Fedex via social media (can't get through to them on the phone due to menu from hell) and told them they misdelivered the neighbor's package to my house. Well, I sent the message yesterday but then got so busy with the AC thing I forgot to respond to their questions. This morning I sent them a photo of the label on the package. I couldn't make out the tracking # myself so let them read it on the photo. Said I wasn't on good terms with the neighbors and didn't want to go over there to take the package to them. CS person made a ticket to have driver come get it. Hopefully the contents are not ruined.

Back