What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I felt almost human today.
I made new Sourdough Starter.
For some reason, mine never stays in the one quart container the recipe says I will need.
Today I just put it in 2 quart ice tea picture to start with.
Will be on the hunt for half gallon jar or a gallon jar for just for my starter.
Got my loaf of bread mixed up.
It's resting and so am I.
Thought I would come on here and read a bit.
Going to have first of two surgeries on 2 October 2023.
It is good to be back for now.

Today, I made some progress by getting the corn field and grass cut. I hired a technician to install the new security cameras.
I'm currently contemplating which state I should move to once my daughter graduates in May. It's an exciting decision to make, and I can't wait to embark on this new chapter of our lives!

Been ill for awhile.
Then I decided to unplug for awhile too.
Before I got sick my clothes were size 12 off the rack.
My shirts are still a size 12 off the rack, cause I need to lose the muffin tops still.
But my pants are Dad's size 34 waist Levi 501 or smaller.
Today I comfortably fix in a ladies size 10 pants.
Dad's Levi's are getting baggy.
I hope you continue on the upward swing. It is usually good to lose weight, but not necessarily that way.

One of my neighbors looked so thin one time after not seeing her for a while. I complimented her. Well, her now deceased husband had given her HIV and it was wreaking havoc. How would I have known? Sometimes, it is hard to give a compliment when you don't know what is going on in someone's live.

Well, it has been a while. I had my vacation over Labor Day weekend to Michigan and enjoyed visiting plenty of family and a few friends.
I talked my boss into ordering some T-shirts and hoodies for the business and I delivered them when I went to work on Monday.
A guy I used to work with at Home Depot asked me to make him some shirts and I completed that tonight.
I looked into some extras for my boss to consider, bottle opener key chains (since we repair off road vehicles) and decals, both with the company logo.
Last weekend the boss picked up his new SpeedUTV side by side designed and manufactured by Robbie Gordon, this thing is way over built. My boss drove it 10 minutes when he got it home and called Robbie Gordon to offer his 25 year experience professional opinion. Robbie said "Let me guess, it drives like a $250,000 trophy truck and only cost $35,000?" The boss said "Yes!" Supposedly our repair shop is on the potential list for an authorized warranty repair shop for these vehicles so hopefully I get a chance to drive a few more varieties since he has 3 main styles but there are literally thousands of configurations due to every one being custom ordered by the buyer, but I believe they all have the same 1000CC Turbocharged engine and driveline (I think). Robbie Gordon is a normal, casual, not stuck up business man and talks to everyone as if they are equal to him, as long as they show the same respect. I am hoping to have a chance to go with the boss in a few weeks to SpeedUTV's facility near Lake Havasu, Arizona to look over all the options and accessories we would be installing at our shop and to also maybe meet Robbie Gordon. Maybe, we shall see, I may have to stay at the shop to handle our customers, and there is the chance Robbie would not be there at that time.
Tomorrow I run to the bank after work for some cash because Friday night we head 6 hours to Montana to pick up our beef from the butcher. We are getting a full beef this time, but it is only about 530 pounds. $4.25 a pound though so those T-bones and briskets and burger will be delicious along with all the other cuts. We are also getting all the extra tallow and all the good organs, everything normally edible will be frozen and packaged and ready for our coolers.

Aside from that, I got not much exciting to share other than a $2 an hour raise at work.
Sweet dreams soon for me, good morning to some of the rest of you.

I hope you continue on the upward swing. It is usually good to lose weight, but not necessarily that way.

One of my neighbors looked so thin one time after not seeing her for a while. I complimented her. Well, her now deceased husband had given her HIV and it was wreaking havoc. How would I have known? Sometimes, it is hard to give a compliment when you don't know what is going on in someone's live.

I congratulated a friend once on being pregnant...she wasn't.....just looked like it .

Mobookworm, glad you are back and hope your surgeries go well and it isn't anything too serious

Clem: hope you get your water situation figured out. Hopefully it is just the pump and not a failed well.

We are going to pick up our meat today and I need to go to the store to buy a chair , old one broke ( camping chair for market). Also need to pick up some flea and tick stuff for the dogs before the ticks appear. They get worst in fall here

You'll be fine, Magus, I promise it won't kill you. We have the mystery of the Walmart bag of soups going on. Yesterday after Aldi shopping, I brought everything in the house, put away the stuff that needed to be cold, and sat down for a cup of coffee for a Gunsmoke episode with husband. After that, I was in the back of the house, putting stuff away. Then little granddaughter got home from school. I noticed a Walmart bag on our dining room table with a chicken noodle soup in it, a vegetable soup, and 3 cans of chicken broth. Have no idea how it got there. Maybe, and it's a maybe, the widowed neighbor that raises sheep could of stopped by for a chat. And she could of brought that. Why? A few weeks ago, she came and found me while feeding animals, and said she left some oranges for me. Turned out it was two grapefruit. Maybe she thinks we need the food? Maybe someone is cleaning out their cupboard?

People tell me that it's good, I have yet to eat at one. it's a solid 45 minutes, maybe an hour depending on traffic, to the closest one from me.
I have eaten there once and didn't really like it. But husband likes it. I got food poisoning from a Wendys chicken sandwich once long time ago and don't like any sort of chicken sandwich since

Well, it has been a while. I had my vacation over Labor Day weekend to Michigan and enjoyed visiting plenty of family and a few friends.
I talked my boss into ordering some T-shirts and hoodies for the business and I delivered them when I went to work on Monday.
A guy I used to work with at Home Depot asked me to make him some shirts and I completed that tonight.
I looked into some extras for my boss to consider, bottle opener key chains (since we repair off road vehicles) and decals, both with the company logo.
Last weekend the boss picked up his new SpeedUTV side by side designed and manufactured by Robbie Gordon, this thing is way over built. My boss drove it 10 minutes when he got it home and called Robbie Gordon to offer his 25 year experience professional opinion. Robbie said "Let me guess, it drives like a $250,000 trophy truck and only cost $35,000?" The boss said "Yes!" Supposedly our repair shop is on the potential list for an authorized warranty repair shop for these vehicles so hopefully I get a chance to drive a few more varieties since he has 3 main styles but there are literally thousands of configurations due to every one being custom ordered by the buyer, but I believe they all have the same 1000CC Turbocharged engine and driveline (I think). Robbie Gordon is a normal, casual, not stuck up business man and talks to everyone as if they are equal to him, as long as they show the same respect. I am hoping to have a chance to go with the boss in a few weeks to SpeedUTV's facility near Lake Havasu, Arizona to look over all the options and accessories we would be installing at our shop and to also maybe meet Robbie Gordon. Maybe, we shall see, I may have to stay at the shop to handle our customers, and there is the chance Robbie would not be there at that time.
Tomorrow I run to the bank after work for some cash because Friday night we head 6 hours to Montana to pick up our beef from the butcher. We are getting a full beef this time, but it is only about 530 pounds. $4.25 a pound though so those T-bones and briskets and burger will be delicious along with all the other cuts. We are also getting all the extra tallow and all the good organs, everything normally edible will be frozen and packaged and ready for our coolers.

Aside from that, I got not much exciting to share other than a $2 an hour raise at work.
Sweet dreams soon for me, good morning to some of the rest of you.
Good to see you! Sounds like life is going in the right direction!!

I think I get to take a crack at deep-cleaning more of the kitchen today. Woo, exciting, but I’ve been trying to get to it for at least six months and have had the worst time actually making time.

Probably should also plan some sort of jam-style preserving project before the farmer’s market ends. We don’t really need much for our own use. I put up a lot of preserved fruit last year and we haven’t finished it all, but I like having jam or some other goodie to give as gifts at Christmas.

Nothing too exciting here, the usual rut♥️! I did pick up a dog training job, 6 month old mini Australian Shepherd. Just basic obedience, not showing. Training the owners is always the hard part!
Good luck 🍀 Mini Ausies are a PITA. I love real sized Ausie sheps though.

Today we woke up to no water. Won't have an idea until tomorrow whether it's the down hole pump or if the well/reservoir has failed. Everything else is working.

Bad news or really bad news. Ain't life grand.
Jumper across the pressure cutoff switch? If the submersible water pump runs then you have a faulty pressure cutoff switch. If pump doesn’t run then it’s the pump.

You did check to see if the circuit breaker wasn’t tripped?

Last edited:
Jumper across the pressure cutoff switch? If the submersible water pump runs then you have either a faulty pressure cutoff switch. If pump doesn’t run then it’s the pump.

You did check to see if the circuit breaker wasn’t tripped?
New float switch new control boxes. Everything is good. 60 Amp breaker on a commercial full wall panel. The big red valve
like breaker, did not flip.

My main breaker box is 6 wide' × 10' tall. We left it off overnight. When we flip it on in an hour, if we get a good flow of water into our indoor holding tank, we have a well/reservoir problem. No water coming in, it's the pump.

Looking at the Countdown to Preparedness, week by week planning and preparing guide that @Weedygarden posted in that thread.. I think that everyone should take a look at it so I made the reference here. I personally think that it would be fun to start at the beginning and post 1 page from the guide each week and challenge everyone to complete its tasks each week...

Looking at the Countdown to Preparedness, week by week planning and preparing guide that @Weedygarden posted in that thread.. I think that everyone should take a look at it so I made the reference here. I personally think that it would be fun to start at the beginning and post 1 page from the guide each week and challenge everyone to complete its tasks each week...
Should I start at Week 1? I think it would be a good place to start!
I really think it would be a good thing to work through as a group! I have posted week 1 in that thread! Thank you for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Got an oil change on my truck, hung out with my brother waiting for some diagnostics on the truck. They didn't even charge for the diagnostic- just the oil change. Turns out the honda dealership didn't install the wheelbearing properly and it is now damaged. I have a new one to install but plan to take it to another dealership that was recommended.

My brother bought me Jedi Fallen Order and also bought me breakfast.

Cleaned the toilet.

I'm probably going to nap soon.

Latest posts

Back