What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to determine the timing for hard boiling bantam size eggs 🤔 I have about 2 dozen that I want to do but I've never boiled that size egg before. Also need to get the meat going for the tater tot caserole I'm making for supper. Then homework after chores.

The well pumped water for 30 minutes before water ran out, but the pump kept going. The well guy came back with an electrician.

The wiring was correct but the brand new pump control box was faulty and the electrician said the new second replacement was as well. A new box has been ordered from a different source.

Keeping our fingers crossed. Until we get a working control box, we can't be sure about the pump or well. Quality control is dead and buried.

Another post that belongs in the rant section.

Trying to determine the timing for hard boiling bantam size eggs 🤔 I have about 2 dozen that I want to do but I've never boiled that size egg before. Also need to get the meat going for the tater tot caserole I'm making for supper. Then homework after chores.
1st - I have no idea!
2nd - I have an idea 😂 Regular eggs cook like rice. Put in a pot covered with water then lid, cook on high for 13 min then turn to low for 7 min. For eggs half that time, I would think on high for 6.5 min and low for 3.5 min (ish of course). Might try with 2-3 if you have them to spare or find a more reliable source than moi 😍 I don't follow instructions very well, probably don't play well with others and maybe a few more things 😉

1st - I have no idea!
2nd - I have an idea 😂 Regular eggs cook like rice. Put in a pot covered with water then lid, cook on high for 13 min then turn to low for 7 min. For eggs half that time, I would think on high for 6.5 min and low for 3.5 min (ish of course). Might try with 2-3 if you have them to spare or find a more reliable source than moi 😍 I don't follow instructions very well, probably don't play well with others and maybe a few more things 😉

I'd guess the same as Lady L, ABR. Or just stick them in a pot with a rolling boil for 10 minutes. Maybe even 8 minutes.
Went bin shopping today, and that was a hoot. Also stopped at Dollar General for their dollar items. Amazing that they still have dollar items.
I did 3 as a test. Timer 5 minutes take one out, timer another 2 mins take one out, timer another 2 mins take out. So 5,7, and 9 minutes. Peeled and cut in half, 9 minutes was the winner for hardboiled yolk! Now to write that down somewhere I won't forget 🤣

I got the wheels and tires on my wagon with a little help from the youngest. Then I mowed the yard, 4 hours this time, vs 6 last time.

Planted more than 500 garlic cloves today.

20230921_163516_HDR.jpg

Another 500 tomorrow.

I did surprise a flock of turkeys that were scratching around in the beds. So far they are the only thing that threatens garlic. Here hoping.

Ben

🤔 Also need to get the meat going for the tater tot caserole I'm making for supper.
🤔Did you get a recipe from @Pearl ??? Because I have only ever heard of such a hankerin' for tater tots as here on the forum! And now you're makin' a casserole out of 'em!??
Somebody 'splain this.

🤔Did you get a recipe from @Pearl ??? Because I have only ever heard of such a hankerin' for tater tots as here on the forum! And now you're makin' a casserole out of 'em!??
Somebody 'splain this.
You can't move because you haven't lived in Texas long enough!! Tater tot casserole is meat, tots, cheese or a can of cheese soup, veggies, whatever you got! Bake it!! Maybe a more detailed recipe will show up in Magus's tater thread!!

View attachment 116447

Another 500 tomorrow.

I did surprise a flock of turkeys that were scratching around in the beds. So far they are the only thing that threatens garlic. Here hoping.

Ben
I can just see the princess come late spring plucking globes of garlic: "He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me. . . . " 😂😍

While I have not yet declared victory over the mess that is the kitchen, I have pummeled the stove grease into submission, cleaned both ovens, cleaned the toaster oven, cleaned the counters (ugh, you know how the counters get when they’re covered in stuff that doesn’t get wiped under often enough? Blech!), cleaned the top of the microwave (this requires a stepladder, I am short) and the cabinets above it (ditto), cleaned the vent ducts (eeeurgh) and washed down all the odds and ends that live on the counter (knife block, hot water boiler, spice rack, etc.).

What I have left still to do: wipe down all the remaining cabinets (white. why do they have to be white?) and repaint all the chipped paint on them (why did they have to paint them white …? ), wipe down the appliances (that’s easy, I did that last week, so just maintenance), clean the pantry door, and purge the pantry.

This may still be another two-three day project but I see the end in sight.

While I have not yet declared victory over the mess that is the kitchen, I have pummeled the stove grease into submission, cleaned both ovens, cleaned the toaster oven, cleaned the counters (ugh, you know how the counters get when they’re covered in stuff that doesn’t get wiped under often enough? Blech!), cleaned the top of the microwave (this requires a stepladder, I am short) and the cabinets above it (ditto), cleaned the vent ducts (eeeurgh) and washed down all the odds and ends that live on the counter (knife block, hot water boiler, spice rack, etc.).

What I have left still to do: wipe down all the remaining cabinets (white. why do they have to be white?) and repaint all the chipped paint on them (why did they have to paint them white …? ), wipe down the appliances (that’s easy, I did that last week, so just maintenance), clean the pantry door, and purge the pantry.

This may still be another two-three day project but I see the end in sight.
You're inspiring me to take a crack at my kitchen. It's clean but needs a little extra lovin'

Had two pods here at the house, and stuffed them full of stuff. Had them moved to the new place and finished unloading them yesterday. Brother and friend helped with the one for the house, yesterday I did the one for the shed by myself. Today I feel like a truck ran over me, but I got them done and just in time to avoid paying extra.
Furnace guy got the boiler in the new house fixed up and running, unfortunately the furnace in the old house needs a new burner. But I didn't want to put it on the market without it being checked, so there's that. Still need to paint the basement and the stairwell, have a professional cleaner coming Monday to deep clean the whole place then hopefully the realtor signs go up.
All this chaos is is hard. Moving my Husband's things is hard. Dealing with contractors coming into my space is hard. I'm just so ready to be done with the whole mess.
Thankful that family and friends have been helping so much. Friend coming in a few minutes to help so I'd better get off the computer.

View attachment 116447

Another 500 tomorrow.

Ben
I put chicken wire or field fencing over beds or areas that I dont want the turkeys n hens destroying. Prop it up just a tad with a well placed rock or stick too so they cant walk on top of it

I cant seem to sleep well today so I'm up. It's my short night at work anyway.
I think I'll take the dogs for a little walk n hit the store before work today.
I got a call this week from the heating n cooling people that have been trying to fix my1.5 year old mini split Daikin unit.
While the parts are under warranty, the trip out here is $300, the 3 pounds of refrigerant is $150 a pound and the labor to tear the unit apart to rip the coil out n put another in puts the total bill up to 1,266.00.
This is after I've spent 1,300 so far since feb of this year on 4 trips. Well...only 2 trips they charged me for because they should have caught the previous issues.
This unit is basically new, total POS n Daikin wont replace their lemon. When it ran it was great. If the mill were not so iffy right now I might just suck it up n have it repaired. If we get laid off for winter i figure I'll be home n have my wood stove going anyways. If we continue running it's back to my little heaters during the work week. I think I'll get a heated blanket this year.
Somethings making noise outside..

Yesterday, walked first, then was in town more than half the day with my friend. Dealing with hospital bills and then Aldi.
Had to order dry dog food for the little girls as TSC hasn't had it for over a month. Got it ship to store so I don't have to pay extra. Then we went to lunch at Arby's. That was good, but not something I can do often.
Today, walked first, then walked dogs.
Dealt with more insurance stuff over the phone.
Next on my list is to decorate my front porch for Fall in the hopes that it will show up! Still hot and no rain, here.
Still haven't made the crockpot bread, maybe tomorrow.

I'm off today, but we have weather moving in tonight so I will put off slicing the roast beef. I have a number of things I need to get done outside before things turn ugly. I am trying to get things in order so I can work indoors tomorrow.

Somebody 'splain this.
Tater tots are multipurpose, like rice or pasta. I have a variety of casseroles I use them in. Yesterday was a cheesy enchilada casserole made with deer meat

Been working on the fence again today. I repaired about a half mile or so. This section wasn't in too bad of shape, but it's steep. Carrying a bundle of fence posts over my shoulder, wire stretcher and miscellaneous tools up and down these hills is hard work.
When I came in for lunch just now a guy from the Forest Service stopped by for a chat. They are going to start a prescribed burn along our north and east property lines. He said it should take about a week to burn around our place. They're going to stage a couple tankers up by the house and keep a helicopter on stand-by. It's going to be pretty smokey here for awhile.

I'm taking a break, I stirred up a hornets nest (literally). The wooden frame has been made for a while and the underside of it must have been irresistible to the little buggers. I'm going to let them calm down before I try to finish the job...

Oh yikes, Urban. Spray them tonight and run.
We went into town this afternoon...weird list of stuff we needed at Walmart. Husband went in the store on one of those scooters, he never goes grocery shopping. He was shocked at the prices and shrinkflation. I always tell him.....I was getting dry cat and dog food and showed him the cans of dog food prices, because he remembers buying some once upon a time. $1.28 for a regular sized can for the cheapest (Ol Roy). I don't buy that for our dog. He gets some dry and meat scraps from the kitchen. Picked up 500 lbs of feed and unloaded it. Little granddaughter and neighbor boy helped. Picked up pharmacy stuff. Just put in 5 dz eggs into the freeze dryer, after taking out bell pepper and cherry tomatoes. You'll be happy with your own lunchmeat, Urban. I do that with turkey and chicken often. I cook them whole, strip the meat, and freeze it in quart bags. We use it for sandwiches. I should do it for roast.

Latest posts

Back