What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brought three kittens (free) to the fowl sale, came home with 26 guinea keets. They are in brooders next to Bibi the parrot (still not well, in a brooder), and they won't stop beeping, so I just unplugged their lights. Son goes back to New Mexico on the 3 am train. We'll miss him. He got half the new roof on the big greenhouse. Will be back in a month to finish it.
Hope Bibi gets to feeling better!! How is your hubby?

His arm and hand look better. And his leg. His whole left side was weeping, I never saw anything like it in my life. Lympedema or something. Lots and lots of bandages, and mopping, and laundry. Ugh. Why? Because he tore his rotator cuff. I know, TMI. But it's been a heck of a week. So far he has two recheck appts next week, and I know mom has one I have to be at.

His arm and hand look better. And his leg. His whole left side was weeping, I never saw anything like it in my life. Lympedema or something. Lots and lots of bandages, and mopping, and laundry. Ugh. Why? Because he tore his rotator cuff. I know, TMI. But it's been a heck of a week. So far he has two recheck appts next week, and I know mom has one I have to be at.
Can't imagine the stress you have right now! Everything happens at once!! Hope you are getting enough sleep!! And coffee!!♥️

My total knee replacement is scheduled. I have to show up at the hospital 5:30 AM Monday morning. I’ll probably be scarce around her for a bit but I will be back.
Check in when you can!! Lots of thoughts and prayers heading your way!! Wishing you a speedy recovery!!♥️

Got up this morning while still dark to work on sighting in my black plastic pop-gun. I put one of those sighting lasers in the chambers and adjusted the LPVO sights on a barn almost exactly 100 meters away. Got both lights to line up perfectly. I will now be able to go out and execute any aluminum cans which don't agree with me (preferably at a range of 100 m).

Busy couple of days.
Walked first, yesterday and today.
Yesterday, picked up cat from vet after neutering.
Walked dogs.
Cooked venison in instant pot for recipe today.
Paid bills.

Today, moved lick tubs under shed as I am done gardening this year. Can't afford the water and we are still in drought.
Did month ending books.
Took ebay photos for DH.
He went to visit with brother in the country.
I am pressure canning Mongolian Beef, but with venison.

Thanks, LadyLocust. I'm good. Just been tired and distracted.

Heartbroken, when my dad died we all got sick & he was the only other person in the house who did any cleaning. I admit I was too depressed to do any cleaning for a long time afterward. Mom never was great at housekeeping but she fully stopped doing any cleaning when he died. Having strangers in the house moving your stuff can be so incredibly stressful. I would have been really ticked about a kid being brought along. That is not appropriate at all. A friend of mine used to get dragged along with her mom when the mom was cleaning houses for $. The mom would put her to work & make her clean & she would always feel sick afterward. Got exposed to some chemicals that messed up her lungs a bit.

My brain is still not fully with it. Cats woke me up early again for canned food. I went out and unloaded all 5 cases of water from the truck before it could get too hot. Still need to drag the trash out. When it cools down more I'm going to have to cut some weeds and then drag all of the trash from the bin near the porch out to the burn pile. Obviously can't burn until the "no burn" order is lifted. There were wildfires next town over.

Still watching prices and waiting for the processor I want to have a coupon or get a discount.

Hired the neighbor's teenage son. Saw him shooting hoops and asked if he needed some more exercise and he said "Sure!" :woo hoo:
Put him to work cleaning the patio gutter that I had been dreading for 3 months because it was chocked full of pine-straw from the other neighbor's trees.
He brought their tall ladder and it took him just a little longer than a half hour to get it done.
I handed him a $20 so he got paid ~$35/hr.
They Luv me!:huggs:

Hired the neighbor's teenage son. Saw him shooting hoops and asked if he needed some more exercise and he said "Sure!" :woo hoo:
Put him to work cleaning the patio gutter that I had been dreading for 3 months because it was chocked full of pine-straw from the other neighbor's trees.
He brought their tall ladder and it took him just a little longer than a half hour to get it done.
I handed him a $20 so he got paid ~$35/hr.
They Luv me!:huggs:
That’s awesome you could find a teen willing to work. I’ve tried a few times and regretted it.

Got quite a bit done today. Worked on building a set of apothecary shelves. Have to shave a couple boards since HD doesn’t sell straight ones. Will hopefully finish them tomorrow.
Cut some weeds larger than most Christmas trees that were growing by the tractor. It was a chore but I got them out of there. Now need to take the big rake out and clean the rest up. Pulled some weeds in a flower bed, mostly crabgrass 😡. I try to give it away. It’s the hardiest thing I grow but never get any takers 🤔

I hope the swelling goes down quickly, that's really a PITA to deal with, I'm just thankful I've not gotten stung this summer as the Yellowjackets that make nests in the ground seem to have an aggressive attitude and will bite and sting just for the fun of it. This year has been exceptionally bad for Yellowjackets here in Southern Oregon, my son set out probably around 20 traps and in just a few days filled a 2 gallon bucket full of dead Yellowjackets.
You would have to dress properly and take the necessary fire precautions but here in the desert we can pour gasoline on the ant hills and light it on fire and most times it will kill the entire nest, sometimes on the bigger ones it takes a second or third effort. I have been fortunate that the no yellowjackets have taken up home near me, they just visit our pool in the summer for water.

Had market today, it went well. I took the last bread and put it in the cooler. Going to make french toast tomorrow with it. I don't usually make breakfast but occasionally.
Debating if we should do market next Saturday or go to one of the many festivals around here this time of year. There is a Highland festival, October festival, Blue Ridge festival ( went to that a few years ago, it was nice but too far to drive) , and Paw Paw festival ( it's a fruit)
Got up really early in the dark well moon was up but it gets light late already now going to bed early

Drove up to the new house. I got to cut the grass and admire the neighbors new Triumph MC. Lori got the Roomba set up, she can check on it Wednesday. Brutus the house cat stopped by, ran right up to Lori. Then we went to local sit down restaurant, 12.88 for more food than we could eat. The Sunoco has 2 tables inside, but this place was a nice surprise :)

Worked 6-12, got home and went thru the the truck organizing and loading, checked all the fluids and such. Then got about 2/3s of the camper loaded. Had time to set on the porch with the wife and smoke a real nice stogie. Came in and grilled some steaks. Watching the UT football game.
Back to work tomorrow

Worked 6-12, got home and went thru the the truck organizing and loading, checked all the fluids and such. Then got about 2/3s of the camper loaded. Had time to set on the porch with the wife and smoke a real nice stogie. Came in and grilled some steaks. Watching the UT football game.
Back to work tomorrow
Me thinks you should call in sick, nab the wife and go for a drive 😍

I feel pretty accomplished today.
Walked dogs,
Got a few supplies
Attacked garage again..mostly done now.
Got started on the barn..
Tons of laundry..
Cooked my dinner n leftover will be lunchs next week
Cooked a dozen hardboiled eggs
Cooked dog food..
Cleaned house alittle
I'm tired but satisfied..

Walked dogs,
Got a few supplies
Tons of laundry..
Cooked dog food..
Cleaned house alittle
How’s your hand?

@Hooch wish i could get my garage cleaned in one day.
Well, @Bacpacker at least you are not working full days on the weekends. Hope you get your time off soon.
@dademoss I'm confused, I thought you had moved IN to your new place and sometimes it sounds like you are not. My LH was from OH and used to talk about the Brown Derby, does that sound familiar? Frog legs?
@sonya123 I wish I was there.
I'm hearing an owl right now! Hooo! Dog is inside and barking about it. LOL

Did nothing today, bad tired. Running the tractor the last two wiped me out. Also left me sore, haven't been on a tractor in ages.

There was an extended family gathering this afternoon. Dad called me at 10 to tell me about it, said, 'it starts at 11'... :rolleyes: I'd have liked to attend just to see distant kin. Was already exhausted, knew i was too irritable to be in public by the time i got there.

@Hooch wish i could get my garage cleaned in one day.
Well, @Bacpacker at least you are not working full days on the weekends. Hope you get your time off soon.
@dademoss I'm confused, I thought you had moved IN to your new place and sometimes it sounds like you are not. My LH was from OH and used to talk about the Brown Derby, does that sound familiar? Frog legs?
@sonya123 I wish I was there.
I'm hearing an owl right now! Hooo! Dog is inside and barking about it. LOL
We closed on a new place, slowly moving things in. I will say it was a lot easier to move when all my stuff fit in a pillowcase.

Walked dogs,
Got a few supplies
Tons of laundry..
Cooked dog food..
Cleaned house alittle
I'm tired from just reading about what you did.

THe next three weeks are my Sun through Thursday schedule. And today I have a floater pharmacist. He was there last Sunday and the tech working was overwhelmed. This pharmacist is a poop-show. He's a professor who decided he'd try working the bench again. SMH. My regular pharmacist said to me on Friday, "I hope he's wearing an asbestos suit cause working with me is like working with a drill sergeant." Evidentially, I have the reputation of being a mama dragon. Not looking forward to today. Those exhausting days at the beginning of the week are the worst.

Latest posts

Back