What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me thinks you should call in sick, nab the wife and go for a drive 😍
Hahaha. I wish. No one to call. Me and my crew are it in our department this weekend. But had 2 major upgrades that needed completing.
Yesterday was the finishing touches on rebuilding a Meteorological site that took a lightning strike back in May. All the parts finally got here and we were able to get it up and running.
Today we are upgrading some Telemetry equipment that was 20+ years old and prone to failing. It'll be 6 to 2 today. Hopefully not have too much to do tlwhen I get home

@Hooch wish i could get my garage cleaned in one day.
Well, @Bacpacker at least you are not working full days on the weekends. Hope you get your time off soon.
@dademoss I'm confused, I thought you had moved IN to your new place and sometimes it sounds like you are not. My LH was from OH and used to talk about the Brown Derby, does that sound familiar? Frog legs?
@sonya123 I wish I was there.
I'm hearing an owl right now! Hooo! Dog is inside and barking about it. LOL
Well Patch today will be a full one. But gotbhere early so can cut out early. I'm taking week after next off and dragging the camper on a little trip. Seeing if we can get a little beach time, maybe we bit of fishing, and a whole lot of relaxin and seafood thrown in.

BTW is it Friday yet????

We've been running around in circles with the wife's medical issues. I had appointments on Friday, first time I have actually made it in to see the doctor since 2019, but my numbers are better. They have rescheduled my wife's cataract surgery 4 times now, but on Thursday they called and scheduled her pacemaker replacement for next Friday, she is super scared of the hospital, the last time she was there they over did the Lasix and she was so dehydrated that her potassium numbers went into the toilet and never recovered (she takes 7 of those horse pills a day now...) Next Sunday is a range day, I was almost rooting for a Government shutdown so the range would be closed, no luck. I'm a bit nervous about having to leave the wife alone if she is recovering from surgery.

@Supervisor42, Glad you were able to find someone to help with the gutters. I'm sure the teen appreciated being able to get $20. Reminds me I need to get a better gutter system on my house.

@LadyLocust, I'd love to see the shelves when you are done building them!

@INresponse, I don't miss yellowjackets coming around to our pool (back when we lived in California). Had some bats that would fly down to drink at night too. I did like when the dragonflies came down. Ever seen the technique of pouring molten aluminium into an ant hill to kill them? Made some neat "art" when it cooled. Someone did a video where they melted a bunch of soda cans & did that. Not really a practical solution though.

@Magus, I feel you on the housework. There's just so much of it and so hard to keep up. I hope you'll be feeling well enough to get some done later or, if not, find someone to help.

@Hooch, I know you've probably mentioned it before, but what do you use for cooking dog food? I wonder if making cat food would be similar. I don't think I could have even gotten half of that list done without needing a nap. LOL. Glad your hand is back to normal size.

@Patchouli, I wonder if there have been owls about and if that has been getting my dogs riled up. We used to have some around here.

@Peanut, I feel that. Being tired all the time sucks. Still trying to get my energy levels back.

@dademoss, I hope the move-in goes well and that you enjoy your new home.

@Backpacker, I'm curious as to what the site looked like after a lightning strike. That must have been interesting to see.

@UrbanHunter, I'm glad your numbers are better & hope your wife's medidcal issues can be cleared up soon. I'd be wary of leaving her alone too. Hopefully everything will be OK.

Sorry if I missed anyone. My brain is still slightly foggy. I went to bed early last night and got more sleep so I'm not as groggy as I've been the past few days.

Got a curbside order scheduled from 1 to 2. Although, they will still hold the order for a few hours if I'm late. But I plan to go early and grab stuff I don't trust them to grab (like the milk). Last time I got the milk curbside it had already curdled.

I really need to do some more cleaning. Last night I cleared out expired stuff from the back of the fridge.

@Supervisor42, Glad you were able to find someone to help with the gutters. I'm sure the teen appreciated being able to get $20. Reminds me I need to get a better gutter system on my house.

@INresponse, I don't miss yellowjackets coming around to our pool (back when we lived in California). Had some bats that would fly down to drink at night too. I did like when the dragonflies came down. Ever seen the technique of pouring molten aluminium into an ant hill to kill them? Made some neat "art" when it cooled. Someone did a video where they melted a bunch of soda cans & did that. Not really a practical solution though.

@Magus, I feel you on the housework. There's just so much of it and so hard to keep up. I hope you'll be feeling well enough to get some done later or, if not, find someone to help.

@Hooch, I know you've probably mentioned it before, but what do you use for cooking dog food? I wonder if making cat food would be similar. I don't think I could have even gotten half of that list done without needing a nap. LOL. Glad your hand is back to normal size.

@Patchouli, I wonder if there have been owls about and if that has been getting my dogs riled up. We used to have some around here.

@Peanut, I feel that. Being tired all the time sucks. Still trying to get my energy levels back.

@Backpacker, I'm curious as to what the site looked like after a lightning strike. That must have been interesting to see.

@UrbanHunter, I'm glad your numbers are better & hope your wife's medidcal issues can be cleared up soon. I'd be wary of leaving her alone too. Hopefully everything will be OK.

Sorry if I missed anyone. My brain is still slightly foggy. I went to bed early last night and got more sleep so I'm not as groggy as I've been the past few days.

Got a curbside order scheduled from 1 to 2. Although, they will still hold the order for a few hours if I'm late. But I plan to go early and grab stuff I don't trust them to grab (like the milk). Last time I got the milk curbside it had already curdled.

I really need to do some more cleaning. Last night I cleared out expired stuff from the back of the fridge.
It struck a 200' tower. Mostly lots of fried wiring and toasted electronics. I would have liked to see a pic of the tower when it was struck

Last edited:

I keep the dog food simple and human friendly.
I cook up , either crock pot or sun oven bake chicken in water with garlic and maybe thyme n water. I let it cool and then debone it.
If I want more broth I put the fat n bones in more water n simmer it more for more stock.
I cook up a cup of rice with some carrots when the rice is cooked I add a can of cream of chicken soup.
I mix that all up with the chicken and it makes 2 big containers. The broth I put in its separate container to cool in the fridge overnight. The next am, I remove the fat layer off the stock , the stock is like jello at this point. I divide the stock up into the 2 containers n mix it all up. One container goes into the freezer, one stays in the fridge.
I've tried to use organ meat in the dog food before and get away from buying dog kibble..neither of my dogs like chicken livers and the local store doesnt always carry beef liver. I'd prefer to get organ meat from the butcher shop but they use it in their dog foods.
I saved the organs anytime I've butchered a bird n in the past my goats. I'm not real sure really the livers from feedlot factory farmed critters is healthy anyways.
So the dog food I make is essentially a topper on the kibble. I can eat it too..its pretty good and it doesnt mess up their digestive system. My dogs also get a hard boiled egg or just crack a egg on one of the feeding times. They also get to sample my leftovers if it's not something that will set them off with the poops.
I imagine at some point they will have to eat what I have available. But I'm keeping a few turkeys around n if it comes to it I have 2 goats left.

We've been running around in circles with the wife's medical issues. I had appointments on Friday, first time I have actually made it in to see the doctor since 2019, but my numbers are better. They have rescheduled my wife's cataract surgery 4 times now, but on Thursday they called and scheduled her pacemaker replacement for next Friday, she is super scared of the hospital, the last time she was there they over did the Lasix and she was so dehydrated that her potassium numbers went into the toilet and never recovered (she takes 7 of those horse pills a day now...) Next Sunday is a range day, I was almost rooting for a Government shutdown so the range would be closed, no luck. I'm a bit nervous about having to leave the wife alone if she is recovering from surgery.
Check on the potassium strength with your pharmacist, some of the strengths come in a packet to mix in with water.

Those are cool videos but it would be impossible to dig it out of this rocky, hard as cement dirt.

Hope she does well with the pacemaker, Urban, I'll be thinking about you both. I get it when you say not to leave her alone, that's always a worry for me, too, with husband. A fall or something. Last hospital visit for husband, the concern was that respitory therapy wasn't coming in often enough for what he needed on the neb. Had to raise a stink about that. And they weren't checking or giving him enough insulin, so I had his monitor and more insulin in my purse.

Yesterday was the finishing touches on rebuilding a Meteorological site that took a lightning strike back in May. All the parts finally got here and we were able to get it up and running.
Today we are upgrading some Telemetry equipment that was 20+ years old and prone to failing. It'll be 6 to 2 today. Hopefully not have too much to do tlwhen I get home
I took part in a project like that once some years ago in Orlando ( weather sites for the fire department and public works) Those things go down all the time. Boss got very annoyed with me when I voiced my opinion on how there needs to be a better way to do that. We got so much crap data it's not even funny especially on water elevations. And then I was supposed to calculate statistics on the data with all these days of data that couldn't be used. This is how "global warming" got created, I am sure.

Good luck, hope yours work better!

Moved sheep around today ( there are now 2 groups, breeding ones with ram and wethers, and "single girls" )
I want to plow up the one pasture and reseed but it is very dry plus we are still waiting on the tractor piece
Decided to not go to the next farmers market, husband's sister and her husband are supposed to visit next weekend from Florida
Cooked a lot of food today only some of it eatable
Going to take dogs for a walk in a little bit

Did my curbside pickup. They were out of the salads. I went inside to get milk and eggs since I don't trust them to pick stuff that isn't spoiled or broken. I inspect every egg in the carton to make sure its not broken. Brought everything home, put it away, & got food for Mom.

Resting with my feet up now.

Yesterday my brothers and I got the tv antenna tower put back up in it's new location; internet guys are supposed to show up tomorrow so I sure hope it's high enough for me to get a signal. Pulled out the 1970s brown kitchen sink, discovered it was cast iron! New sink I had bought had some funky rails added for bolts and it won't fit in the opening. Have to go all the way back to HD in the city and return it, and have them open some packages so I can find one that will work. None of their website pictures show those rails on the bottom so it's impossible to order a new one online.
Made it to church today and then spent a couple of hours working on the new house. Came home and should have cut the grass but fell asleep in my chair instead.
Urban I hope your wife does well.
Amish I hope your husband is feeling better.
Patch what's a general conference weekend? That sounds like work?

Had to go to H3// aka Walmart for Hubby. He needed a new burner for his smoker and some cilantro. Came home, mowed, was working on shelves when Hubby called and was on his way home from riding (dirt bike 🏍️) and said we should go out to dinner. So got cleaned up and went out to eat what amounted to a good hors de oeuvre or small meal for a real meal price 🙄. This is why we don’t eat out often. But we didn’t do anything for our anniversary so it was kinda a make up.
Came home and made a “small” batch of salsa- 6.5 quarts. Did dishes and now here I am.
Yesterday my brothers and I got the tv antenna tower put back up in it's new location; internet guys are supposed to show up tomorrow so I sure hope it's high enough for me to get a signal. Pulled out the 1970s brown kitchen sink, discovered it was cast iron! New sink I had bought had some funky rails added for bolts and it won't fit in the opening. Have to go all the way back to HD in the city and return it, and have them open some packages so I can find one that will work. None of their website pictures show those rails on the bottom so it's impossible to order a new one online.
Made it to church today and then spent a couple of hours working on the new house. Came home and should have cut the grass but fell asleep in my chair instead.
You needed the sleep! You’ve been going a lot!

New emoji- I like it but am not used to it so if I give you an “odd” emoji for something, it’s called my fingers automatically go to that spot and it’s different now 😂

We have a '70's brown, extra deep cast iron sink. Hubby hates it, I will never get rid of it!!😉😃

Morning all.
Heartbroken, I'm glad the antenna is back up and hope it will work. Don't you hate it when the details for things aren't shown on the website? Sometimes you have to go and physically touch things to make sure they are right.

LadyLocust, I seem to remember restaurant sandwiches were always half of a sandwich for the price of two sandwiches & it always made me angry. LOL. I like places that give decent proportion sizes. But then, I particularly like buffet style so I can get as much or as little as I want.

Last time I went to my favorite place they had a bunch of watermelon at the salad bar. That was my dessert.

Bladder woke me up early and then I was thirsty but wanted something cold (I keep room temperature bottle of water on my bed to drink if I get thirsty at night-- also for taking vitamins and meds). Went out to get some Borden's chocolate milk from the fridge. It's one of my comfort drinks.

Cleaned the litterboxes. One has to be cleaned with a scoop but the others have 3 layers with the middle layer being a sifter. So I dump top one, sift, dump crap out into the scented trash bag, and then put the sifter in the empty layer and put the one that caught the semi-clean litter on top. Then pour in more litter. My oldest cat was inspecting my work to see if he wanted to use one of the boxes afterward. Temjin was asleep so she didn't immediately run over to use the boxes with fresh litter. Her favorite is the one without the sifter. She likes to sleep in that thing. LOL.

Going to take a nap until its time to take my vitamins.

Morning all.
Heartbroken, I'm glad the antenna is back up and hope it will work. Don't you hate it when the details for things aren't shown on the website? Sometimes you have to go and physically touch things to make sure they are right.

LadyLocust, I seem to remember restaurant sandwiches were always half of a sandwich for the price of two sandwiches & it always made me angry. LOL. I like places that give decent proportion sizes. But then, I particularly like buffet style so I can get as much or as little as I want.

Last time I went to my favorite place they had a bunch of watermelon at the salad bar. That was my dessert.

Bladder woke me up early and then I was thirsty but wanted something cold (I keep room temperature bottle of water on my bed to drink if I get thirsty at night-- also for taking vitamins and meds). Went out to get some Borden's chocolate milk from the fridge. It's one of my comfort drinks.

Cleaned the litterboxes. One has to be cleaned with a scoop but the others have 3 layers with the middle layer being a sifter. So I dump top one, sift, dump crap out into the scented trash bag, and then put the sifter in the empty layer and put the one that caught the semi-clean litter on top. Then pour in more litter. My oldest cat was inspecting my work to see if he wanted to use one of the boxes afterward. Temjin was asleep so she didn't immediately run over to use the boxes with fresh litter. Her favorite is the one without the sifter. She likes to sleep in that thing. LOL.

Going to take a nap until its time to take my vitamins.
My youngest housecat always has to "help" clean the litter box! 😺

Sending well-wishes to everyone today, seems like we all could use a little pick-me-up or divine grace this week.

Chiropractor for me this morning, though new shoes have fixed a lot of the problem I was having with my feet. Afterwards is laundry, the remainder of the groceries, and poke at the monthly to-do list for home maintenance, though I think I’m caught up.

I was thinking. We should come up with an off grid ( optional) old folks community. Everyone gets a quarter acre for personal space and shared access to large gardens and animal area. That way we could help each other over the humps or just be alone some days.

Last edited:
Sending well-wishes to everyone today, seems like we all could use a little pick-me-up or divine grace this week.

Chiropractor for me this morning, though new shoes have fixed a lot of the problem I was having with my feet. Afterwards is laundry, the remainder of the groceries, and poke at the monthly to-do list for home maintenance, though I think I’m caught up.
I will lend you some things from my list 😇 😍

How is your DH @Amish Heart ?

I walked first.
Picked up Police report from last week about mailbox and then took friend to local grocery.
Have laundry going.
Ordered new shoes for walking.
Still need to fry up a bunch of onions and bell peppers to freeze and then add to Mongolian Venison that was canned.
That's about it!

Latest posts

Back