What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guts don't like me today so I'm having to stay still. Last night I got some painter's tape and taped down the edges of the linoleum in mom's bathroom because it was torn, had a huge missing spot, and the remaining edges kept getting pulled up and she was tripping over them. Got them all taped down so she won't trip.

Cooked for Mom. Watched some People's Court. Got a chuckle out of how mad she was at a defendant who was audacious enough to not only sell a package deal she wasn't allowed to sell something she wasn't allowed to sell, but asked the judge to put a gag order on the plaintiffs to prevent them from telling the city attorney (who was prosecuting her) what transpired.

Gathered some cardboard bits & pieces (toilet paper tubes & stuff) bc I plan to make a mockup lightsaber. Hoping to do more cleaning when my guts clear up though. I need to find where I put the pepto.

I am very happy to report that our truck passed inspection I was very surprised
Got a load of firewood on the way back
Also got the tractor piece and it seems to fit even if it's just a tiny bit larger than the old one
So good day today
Going to do some weedeating in a little bit here and take dogs for a walk

You can put a temporary fix on that linoleum, all you need to do is get a matching roll and cut out a square that will fit in the bad spot, cut out the ripped up area with a box cutter and use some rubber cement around the edges of the new and the old, then put boards or bricks on them overnight, then go back with carpet tacks or staples.

Put clear tape over the cracks.

Lightsabers never get old! If you want it to last make the "blade" out of a piece of PVC pipe and paint it some fluorescent color, nest it inside another piece, and paint it to suit you.

Last edited:
Score! Got 5 young hens from my friend's daughter. Her cousin hatches and raises ISA browns. Next time I need chicks to raise all I have to do is call and put in my order. So that’s a double score on chickens.

My friend sent 2 jars of butter pickles for my dad. Also, a quart of buttermilk. I have to leave it on the counter until tomorrow, rake off the sour cream (for me) and give the buttermilk to dad. Said something odd is happening, never had a problem before but in the last month several jars of buttermilk completely converted to sour cream over night. Must be the fall diet of her 2 milk cows.

She also gave me 4lbs of Bessie butter and 2lbs of mozzarella cheese she made this morning. Said her daughter is experimenting with some hard cheeses too. The first batches will be ready by Christmas. As good as the mozzarella tastes, can't wait to try the hard stuff!

And… got some late season muscadines and scuppernongs at the produce stand while i was in town. Got a jar of Amish Wedding blackberry jam while there. I was out, don't eat a lot of jelly or jam but i like their blackberry. I got a haircut while in town also.

20231003_buttermilk51a.jpg
20231003_newchicks23a.jpg

Last edited:
Score! Got 5 young hens from my friend's daughter. Her cousin hatches and raises ISA browns. Next time I need chicks to raise all I have to do is call and put in my order. So that’s a double score on chickens.

My friend sent 2 jars of butter pickles for my dad. Also, a quart of buttermilk. I have to leave it on the counter until tomorrow, rake off the sour cream (for me) and give the buttermilk to dad. Said something odd is happening, never had a problem before but in the last month several jars of buttermilk completely converted to sour cream over night. Must be the fall diet of her 2 milk cows.

She also gave me 4lbs of Bessie butter and 2lbs of mozzarella cheese she make this morning. Said her daughter is experimenting with some hard cheeses too. The first batches will be ready by Christmas. As good as the mozzarella tastes, can't wait to try the hard stuff!

And… got some late season muscadines and scuppernongs at the produce stand while i was in town. Got a jar of Amish Wedding blackberry jam while there. I was out, don't eat a lot of jelly or jam but i like their blackberry. I got a haircut while in town also.

View attachment 117094View attachment 117095
Great haul Peanut.

Worked, had to make a powder coat run today. Was chilly and raining here, sunny and warm there.
Came home and got to work canning beets- in the canner now. Hubby will be happy. The latest joke since all this canning is for him to say “There’s nothing to eat.” 😂

So, "muscadines and scuppernongs"....what the heck? Sounds like boat parts to me, but I guess you're eating them? Is that another one of those alien things my southern friends talk about, like okra?
The big step happened today, the realtor sign is pegged in the ground out in front of my house. It needed to be done, but boy is it hard to see and to know that my 30 years here has come to an end. This was the home I shared with my Husband for an all too brief a time; where my daughter grew up, and where I learned to run a circuit, sweat a pipe, shingle a roof, plaster a wall, and all the other things I'm too old to do now.
And just to add to the drama, a gal smacked a deer right out in front, I heard the "bam!" when I was in the kitchen putting the tea kettle on. It was just starting to get light and one last doe was too slow getting across the road. Of course the carcass landed just off the corner of my yard. When I got back from my errands I had to wrap a tow strap on it and drag it down around the corner and dump it in the ditch. Otherwise it would have stunk up the whole yard just when people would be coming to tour the house!
I did manage to cut the grass around the house, got too dark to finish up over by the outbuildings. I'll have to go out tomorrow and rake it and then cut it again, there's huge windrows everywhere.
Plumber put in the gas line for the new stove at the new house today, so now the appliances can get delivered. Started the chore of ripping up the carpeting. The entire house is carpeted, including the kitchen and bath. I refuse to take a shower there until I get that bathroom down to bare wood.
Amish and Snappy, prayers for your Husbands. I know how stressful it is when a spouse is ill.
LadyLocust you remind me of my Daughter's statement when she was complaining about having nothing to eat and I told her to get something out of the well-stocked pantry - "that's not food, that's ingredients!".

There was a tourist shopping at our little amish store in our town last week, and asked the lady if she had any muscadines. She didn't know what he was talking about. I immediately thought of Peanut.
I just saw that one of our junior barn cats (Angel) caught her first mouse tonight. She tries every night, when I go out to shut up the chicken coops after dark. I let the cats go in first, and she's been waiting on me and going in with the big cats for a week or so. She was very impressed with herself.

So, "muscadines and scuppernongs"....what the heck? Sounds like boat parts to me, but I guess you're eating them? Is that another one of those alien things my southern friends talk about, like okra?
The big step happened today, the realtor sign is pegged in the ground out in front of my house. It needed to be done, but boy is it hard to see and to know that my 30 years here has come to an end. This was the home I shared with my Husband for an all too brief a time; where my daughter grew up, and where I learned to run a circuit, sweat a pipe, shingle a roof, plaster a wall, and all the other things I'm too old to do now.
And just to add to the drama, a gal smacked a deer right out in front, I heard the "bam!" when I was in the kitchen putting the tea kettle on. It was just starting to get light and one last doe was too slow getting across the road. Of course the carcass landed just off the corner of my yard. When I got back from my errands I had to wrap a tow strap on it and drag it down around the corner and dump it in the ditch. Otherwise it would have stunk up the whole yard just when people would be coming to tour the house!
I did manage to cut the grass around the house, got too dark to finish up over by the outbuildings. I'll have to go out tomorrow and rake it and then cut it again, there's huge windrows everywhere.
Plumber put in the gas line for the new stove at the new house today, so now the appliances can get delivered. Started the chore of ripping up the carpeting. The entire house is carpeted, including the kitchen and bath. I refuse to take a shower there until I get that bathroom down to bare wood.
Amish and Snappy, prayers for your Husbands. I know how stressful it is when a spouse is ill.
LadyLocust you remind me of my Daughter's statement when she was complaining about having nothing to eat and I told her to get something out of the well-stocked pantry - "that's not food, that's ingredients!".
I can relate to your attachment to the old place. The Princess and I have occupied this place for 30+ years and 6 generations of my family have slept under this roof ( my great grandfather through to my grandchildren). Hard to give that up .

Ben

Tonight I was working on two projects for work, cleaning the house, fixing dinner, taking care of the pets. Finally sat down.
I’ve been working on a photography course, still working on food storage, regardless of what anyone else thinks, and still considering my next step.
There are courses that can be accessed for free at MIT, no credit.
Anyone else looked into those?

I can relate to your attachment to the old place. The Princess and I have occupied this place for 30+ years and 6 generations of my family have slept under this roof ( my great grandfather through to my grandchildren). Hard to give that up .

Ben
I've only ever moved twice in my lifetime and both times were about 50 feet. When I was born, we were living in the apartment that was made from my grandfather's butcher shop. Parents built their house in the lot next door that my grandparents gave them. After my grandmother and brother passed, I moved into her apartment. Moving is easy when you just have to carry things next door. LOL

Tonight I was working on two projects for work, cleaning the house, fixing dinner, taking care of the pets. Finally sat down.
I’ve been working on a photography course, still working on food storage, regardless of what anyone else thinks, and still considering my next step.
There are courses that can be accessed for free at MIT, no credit.
Anyone else looked into those?
I haven't but a friend of mine has taken an architectural history class online at Harvard. They are free with no credit. She started one on computer networking but had to stop when her cataracts were done.

I was 20 years in the last place. Took us almost two years to get moved. It can be good but isn’t necessarily easy.
we were in the previous house in Orlando for around 30 years before that I moved several times from various rentals and once to California ( mid 80s) for half a year or so before that I moved from Germany

Back