What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My total knee replacement is scheduled. I have to show up at the hospital 5:30 AM Monday morning. I’ll probably be scarce around her for a bit but I will be back.
Well, my surgery was cancelled by the surgeon who had a family emergency and I’m now rescheduled for October 16. I have to start the prep all over again. I’m really bummed out about the whole thing. I should be rehabbing right now but instead I’m still waiting. 😭

Today I'm sitting here, looking at my one gallon bottle of GaviLyte that I have to drink later today - for my colonoscopy tomorrow - wondering if suicide might be a more appealing alternative. :(
My sister died because she didn't want to deal with what you are going through. Suck it up, buttercup, because it just may save your life!

(said in a loving, concerning way, as a strong advocate for fighting colon cancer)

Sorry to hear about your sister. It's very easy to put off needed medical tests or ignore symptoms of problems. And that never ends up working out well. Tomorrow is a routine screening for me. So I hope nothing bad is found. But that's why you do routine screenings - to find the bad things that you didn't expect to find.

Hubby and I are both staying home today to clean up all the storm damage. Only one big tree down, but a lot of branches down and tree damage. The feed shed roof is very damaged, and my hay building is very bent! All animals and the house are fine thankfully! Got 3" of much needed rain!!
There is hail damage, buy not near the house! The big oak in Buddy's front pasture and the neighbor's places to our south. Talked to the young couple down the road, guess it just barely missed us! Heading back out to keep plugging away at the clean up efforts!

We had a division wide meeting, partly to introduce our new top level director. Old guy just retired. I used to work with the new one years ago, she always struck me as one who looked out for her folks and kept them what they needed to do their job. I'm happy about this move.
She announced that our group is being moved to a new division along with our Meterological, weld test, and fabrication groups. Finally we are going to be located where we should be. And will be out from under our current division director who looked for ways to make life as difficult as she could. She was placed in her role just like the new cali senator, just for being female. She has zero background in instrumentation and it showed at about every move.
Not sure who our new DD will be, sure hope its a move up. But just being with the new group will provide many opportunities for each group being moved. Lots of chances to work together and keep lots of work in house. And opportunities for new growth.
A woman boss? Can't imagine that.

Does anyone else here keep getting survey forms from the Census office? I get one just about every year. Last year was a AG census. This year it's "random" census. They ask stupid questions like how many sinks I have in the house with faucets. What is our income, and the source of our income. So far I've ignored it. The keep sending reminders with threats. They say they're going to send someone out if I don't respond.

Maybe I could help, do you have a pic of the tiller and a description of what its "NOT" doing? It may be as simple as changing the depth or angle?
Ha! I can tell you what the problem is! We are trying to use a relatively small garden tiller to till a section of heavy clay pasture that husband plowed up with a 40 hp tractor! Can't be done. We need a tractor attachment ( like the plow)

Does anyone else here keep getting survey forms from the Census office? I get one just about every year. Last year was a AG census. This year it's "random" census. They ask stupid questions like how many sinks I have in the house with faucets. What is our income, and the source of our income. So far I've ignored it. The keep sending reminders with threats. They say they're going to send someone out if I don't respond.
We get the Ag census and it is many many pages long. I was going to ignore it but husband filled it out online and sent it

We get the Ag census and it is many many pages long. I was going to ignore it but husband filled it out online and sent it
I use a 3 pt hitch disc to cut the ground after plowing. Cost a lot less than a tiller too. Just have to adjust the cut and angles for what you want to do.

Last edited:
Current DD which is 2nd level up from my boss. New directorate boss is 3rd level. I like her, can't stand the DD..
Workin for a woman is fine, as long as they know what they are doing, and will ask questions and take advice when needed.
I was just joking. I don't mind working for a woman as long as she knows the business and doesn't have a chip. And of course she needs to look good in a short skirt.

Ha! I can tell you what the problem is! We are trying to use a relatively small garden tiller to till a section of heavy clay pasture that husband plowed up with a 40 hp tractor! Can't be done. We need a tractor attachment ( like the plow)
At least you're not trying to drag a disc plow behind a 4X4, that tends not to end well.
The best advice I can give is to do it after a heavy rain, geared way low and set to about 3" , then do it again at normal depth.

We got everything repaired and debris picked up. Hubby cut the trees (there were 3, not 1 like we originally thought) into pieces to be cut up for firewood later. There was so much else to do and they just needed to be downsized. What a day, my right ankle hurts, not sure what I did to it!? 82° and sunny, I'll go soak it in the pool for a bit!

We got everything repaired and debris picked up. Hubby cut the trees (there were 3, not 1 like we originally thought) into pieces to be cut up for firewood later. There was so much else to do and they just needed to be downsized. What a day, my right ankle hurts, not sure what I did to it!? 82° and sunny, I'll go soak it in the pool for a bit!
Firewood for when it dips below 80*? ;)

🎃💭🔌🎖️🥮🐾

A disc on the three point hitch! Our neighbors behind us would use one on the hard clay ground. Think auto correct changed disc to discount!
Thank you Pearl. Thats exactly what I meant.
Plowing normally leaves large clods in Red Clay. Running a disk thru a time or three cut those up and makes for a decent bed. And it doesn't pulverize the soil to powder the way a tiller can at times

@Pearl sorry to hear you had storm damage but am glad no animals or people were hurt.

@Amish Heart I'm sorry about your parrot. Losing pets always sucks. Hope the doctor visits go well.

@winds-of-change sorry about your surgery being postponed. Hopefully everything will go well when you do go in for it.

@Mountain trapper no surveys being sent out that I know of. I haven't received any at least. If they send someone out, you don't have to answer the door. Although, you could be petty and just write NUNYA on the paper and send it back.

@sonya123 sorry your tiller won't work on the clay soil. Always sucks when you get a tool and then it won't work for what you need it to do.

@snappy1 I hope your laptop can be fixed. What are the symptoms/problems? Just won't turn on?

@Bacpacker I think that goes for any boss. They need to know what they are doing.

@Magus oh sweet! Is that an actual toy? (The staple gun looking thing)

Mom got some sort of alert that there are fire warnings for a large area extending all the way to Mississippi & Alabama. I hope @Frodo is safe. Wildfire warnings for my area. They said there will be wildfire warnings from 11am to 7pm Saturday. It just rained so I hope that will help.

Rested today. Tomorrow I have to go do early voting, take Mom to turn in her mail-in-ballot (don't trust the usps with it), get some stuff at the store, etc.

I want to get a tap splitter for the only working outside spigot so I can set up a hose. Right now its permanently connected to a float to fill the water trough.

Hoping there won't be fires on Saturday. Oh, also need to go renew my driver's license Friday as DMV will be closed on Saturday.

Today I'm sitting here, looking at my one gallon bottle of GaviLyte that I have to drink later today - for my colonoscopy tomorrow - wondering if suicide might be a more appealing alternative. :(
OK, half a gallon in, three gallons out. Doin' good so far. Nowhere near as bad as I remember from last time. The instructions say I'm now on a GaviLyte pause for the night. Start up again at 5:30am tomorrow.

Worked today- sorta! The computer kept “sticking” having to buffer &/or taking ages to load a page. So aggravating. Today was my Friday so looking forward to not dealing with it tomorrow.
Found more beets from my first planting that I thought didn’t grow.

Latest posts

Back