What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked tomatoes and peppers after animal chores, Guinea keets and meat chicks are doing well. Filled a cart at Aldi, picked up husband's MRI results for him, and his RX's. Having dinner early and getting little granddaughter to the High School in the next town over for the evening. Her grade school band (2 kids) are playing pep band and half time for the football game with the High School band. She is over the top excited, she also did this last year. So...the weather has turned. I'll be putting on leggings under my skirt and bringing my jacket so I don't freeze tonight on the bleachers.
Tonight should be an interesting high school football game here. Our high school is 6-0 and playing the #1 team in the state. We have a junior RB who already has 2100 rushing yards in 6 games. Our team is averaging 46 points a game. Our local radio station live streams the games, so I can watch it from my recliner.

Jake got selected to go to Indianapolis to the National FFA convention for the second year in a row. The kid is really excited!

IMG_7058.jpeg

@Magus there are toys but that toy sells for around $200 on ebay. Yikes.

Got up early, took a long shower, cleaned the hair catcher, helped Mom brush her hair, turned the truck around (makes it easier for Mom to get in), went to vote & have mom drop off her ballot, went to Walmart for groceries, next to dmv to renew my license, went to post office to return misdelivered letter, back home, unloaded groceries, put them away, ate a salad, washed some dishes, & played with the kitties.

Mom explained at voting place that she had a senior moment and tore off the thing that says "do not tear off" so she taped it back on. They said a lot of people do that and not to worry. Dropped off some softsoap at my friend's house (Mom has a subscription from amazon and we still have some unopened boxes).

I've got my feet up now and a cat on my chest/collar bone/shoulder because he thinks I'm his personal butt warmer.

Went out to top off a water trough and noticed the cows broke off the 2 fence posts that I put in a few years ago to protect the water hydrant. Dang cows rub on everything. Pulled the posts out and dug the holes deeper and put in larger posts, plus I cemented them in this time.
Yesterday I pulled out some brush that was blocking the signal to our lower electric gate opener. Works great now.

I've been working on a 10' X 10' storage shed for months, putting in some foam insulation to keep temp swings to a minimum, soon as I get the insulation done I'll build the rest of the shelves and start moving things in from our sun room, maybe we can once again be able to use that room, it's been a catch-all for things that can't be kept in a shed that gets below freezing.

Last edited:
That 1250 should be able to handle a small disk. If you have the version with front wheel assist, it will get better traction and be able handle pulling a bit better. With all that weight on the 3 point hitch, it may be helpful to add weight to the front of the tractor.
yes we thought about this before when moving heavy round bales with the rear spear, sometimes the wheels in the front almost lift up
we don't ever use it in the steep areas, just where it is reasonable, it's not even 4wd ( we didn't know anything about tractors when we bought it)

Magus, don't have any worn out staple guns and haven't seen any on marketplace. I'm determined to make something from scratch using various stuff. Those empty caulk tubes are nice and sturdy. LOL.

Mountaintrapper, cows sure love to rub their butts on stuff. I know they aren't trying to be destructive, but my cow has accidentally busted some things with her horns bc she doesn't have much awareness of them. She also likes to rub her butt on the chainlink fence.

viking, hope the shed gets finished up soon. Sounds like it will be cozy.

Woke up early and there is nothing to do since it is still dark out

Forecast says it is going to rain, but there is no rain on the radar, nothing new. They don't get the forecast right very often
Going to start cleaning the house today
It’s the “Possibility” forecast 😉😂

Put up some sour cherry, walnut, & citrus conserve. It‘s pretty tasty, but I’m unconvinced it’s going to gel up as much as I’d like. Conserves are hard that way; it’s difficult to judge the syrup compared to doing jam.

Also got my blood draw done this morning. Hoping the doc has good news for me this time; been working hard on eating well and getting enough exercise, to the tune of having lost about six pounds in the last three months.

Tired now though, and I’ve still got dishes, stuff to take to FedEx, and things to pick up at Savory Spice and Costco, and and and …
I know exactly what you mean on the conserve. I finally came to the conclusion that I think the barometric pressure has something to do with it. I read a very old recipe for something similar and it said “until it sticks to the spoon.” I think that is about as good a tip as there is.

Picked tomatoes and peppers after animal chores, Guinea keets and meat chicks are doing well. Filled a cart at Aldi, picked up husband's MRI results for him, and his RX's. Having dinner early and getting little granddaughter to the High School in the next town over for the evening. Her grade school band (2 kids) are playing pep band and half time for the football game with the High School band. She is over the top excited, she also did this last year. So...the weather has turned. I'll be putting on leggings under my skirt and bringing my jacket so I don't freeze tonight on the bleachers.
What instrument does she play?

I've been working on a 10' X 10' storage shed for months, putting in some foam insulation to keep temp swings to a minimum, soon as I get the insulation done I'll build the rest of the shelves and start moving things in from our sun room, maybe we can once again be able to use that room, it's been a catch-all for things that can't be kept in a shed that gets below freezing.
That will be nice. Get cravkin’ would ya? 😂

Magus, don't have any worn out staple guns and haven't seen any on marketplace. I'm determined to make something from scratch using various stuff. Those empty caulk tubes are nice and sturdy. LOL.

Mountaintrapper, cows sure love to rub their butts on stuff. I know they aren't trying to be destructive, but my cow has accidentally busted some things with her horns bc she doesn't have much awareness of them. She also likes to rub her butt on the chainlink fence.

viking, hope the shed gets finished up soon. Sounds like it will be cozy.
Thrift stores have staple guns semi regularly.

Today flew by. After lunch I walked down to the river to gather some cottonwood limbs. Made a wreath and have a little 99c. sign. I’m decorated until Thanksgiving 😊. Folks seldom use the front door and we aren’t allowed to paint it or the trim so it looks ratty. Ce la vie.
71832766511__0F5142F2-4A08-419C-87D5-1B31A684FD03.jpeg

Loving the front door, Lady L. No one here uses a front door, either. Little granddaughter plays the xylophone. It's a large double set on a stand. They call them "bells". They did a great rendition of, "The Final Countdown". The high school homecoming game was fairly well attended, but pretty chilly out there. I sat in the grandma section, behind three grandmas that were in the handicapped section. They were big fans. Left after halftime, and the score was 49 to 0. Pretty obvious they were winners. The lunchroom was decorated for a dance afterwards. They chose a king and queen. It's a high school of maybe 300 students. I was worried about leaving husband that long, but he was fine.

Door looks nice, LadyLocust.

Not many thrift stores in my area. Most of them closed down. They don't open until 11 and they close by 4. Not sure how they stay in business with such short hours. I might check out fb marketplace.

Cooked for Mom and watched Dateline. Rupert has parked himself on me for now and is happy.

I know exactly what you mean on the conserve. I finally came to the conclusion that I think the barometric pressure has something to do with it. I read a very old recipe for something similar and it said “until it sticks to the spoon.” I think that is about as good a tip as there is.
I remember my aunt Cass saying that!! 😃

Congratulations to Jake, @hashbrown !!!
One more thing...daughter was sitting in a chair about 15 feet from where I was sitting. "Mom." I looked at her, she wasn't looking at me, she was looking at an angle towards the floor. "What." "There's a huge spider over here on the floor." You know that means mom come do something about it. She said she'd keep an eye on it while I got something to squish it with. I asked what kind it was, she said big. On approaching with a shoe in my hand, I made sure not to cast a shadow on it. It was big. It was all gnarly looking. I got a large plastic cup and a thin book and invited it into the cup, it sorta jumped in. I put the book on top of the cup. Y'all, I didn't even scream. Took it out the front door, walked a good ways and tossed it all.
Looked it up. Similar to image shown. Wolf spider with babies tagging along. YMMV
1696655930496.png
her babies were also on top, like in this photo. Fun times.

That’s a pretty good tip! I’ll keep it in mind for next time!

This morning we're going up to the building supply store to pick up a bundle of shingles so I can finish roofing the new chicken coop roof. Need to put a new roof on the pig shelter too.
Later I'll go down and look at the damage the fire did to my fence. May have to do a temporary repair on it until the Forest Service sends a crew out to replace it. I doubt if the fire will be out until we get some snow.
If I have time this afternoon I'll work on the new chicken run fence.

Made a wreath
That's a lovely wreath!
I was worried about leaving husband that long, but he was fine.
I'm glad he was fine, alone for a while!
The wife's pacemaker surgery yesterday went well
I'm thankful for that!

Up early. Will walk when it gets light.
Walk dogs.
Make cookies- 3 ingredient peanut butter ones and lots of them to take to Church, tomorrow.
Sit outside with pups now that it is a bit cooler. 64 now. 75 high and 45 tonight. Time to put the electric blankets on the bed so we don't use the central heat as much!

I'd guess it'll handle a disk just fine if it'll lift a bale
It barely lifts it, we are checking into how to add weight to the front

Today we plan on going to some paw paw festival if we have time
Need to clean the entire barn, we put up all the animals last night because it was supposed to rain a lot and drop 30 degrees in temp. It did, glad we put them up, especially the sheep don't tolerate huge temp changes well and could get sick

Got most of the house cleaned yesterday but didn't wash the floor since it will just get dirty today with dogs coming in with muddy paws. I will wait till tomorrow to clean the floor , company is supposed to get here Monday

Congratulations to Jake, @hashbrown !!!
One more thing...daughter was sitting in a chair about 15 feet from where I was sitting. "Mom." I looked at her, she wasn't looking at me, she was looking at an angle towards the floor. "What." "There's a huge spider over here on the floor." You know that means mom come do something about it. She said she'd keep an eye on it while I got something to squish it with. I asked what kind it was, she said big. On approaching with a shoe in my hand, I made sure not to cast a shadow on it. It was big. It was all gnarly looking. I got a large plastic cup and a thin book and invited it into the cup, it sorta jumped in. I put the book on top of the cup. Y'all, I didn't even scream. Took it out the front door, walked a good ways and tossed it all.
Looked it up. Similar to image shown. Wolf spider with babies tagging along. YMMV
View attachment 117301
her babies were also on top, like in this photo. Fun times.
Hubby squashed one of those in his shop last night, babies went everywhere! I blasted them with wasp spray!! I am not kind to spiders!! 😮

Latest posts

Back