What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasted day, trip to town. Resting tonight, got to do something about my chickens tomorrow, maybe a temp pen.

I am not sure I understand that...???

Below is a gang disk or harrow. Lifted with a tractor's 3 point hitch. My dad bought this one in the 60's, no idea what he paid. The disks wear out, have to be replaced every 8-10yrs. I replaced all the bearings for the first time about 10 yrs ago. Good to go for another 50yrs.

If the clay is hard you may have to run a break plow through it, maybe a chisel plow.
You can add weight if you need too. Cement blocks work well.

Gang Disk 01.JPG

They’ve been doing just that in the fields around our house the past couple days.

Plowing happening all night long across the road from us. And the neighbor on the side is working constantly because they are hosting church on Sunday. And it's a communion one, so it'll be all day.

Winter wheat? It's time to get the ground ready for wheat. Don't see much of it around here...

@Magus oh sweet! Is that an actual toy? (The staple gun looking thing)
It's a prop from "Space 1999" from the 70's If you have never seen it, it's kind of a "thinking man's Star Trek" But I'm sure there were toys.

Wasted day, trip to town. Resting tonight, got to do something about my chickens tomorrow, maybe a temp pen.

Below is a gang disk or harrow. Lifted with a tractor's 3 point hitch. My dad bought this one in the 60's, no idea what he paid. The disks wear out, have to be replaced every 8-10yrs. I replaced all the bearings for the first time about 10 yrs ago. Good to go for another 50yrs.

If the clay is hard you may have to run a break plow through it, maybe a chisel plow.

View attachment 117226
I've got a hydraulic disk harrow. It's got 2 large cement blocks for added weight. Behind the disc I pull a blanket harrow, also with added weight, to help break-up the dirt clumps. Yesterday I started tilling a couple areas to get ready for spring planting.

I use a 3 pt hitch disc to cut the ground after plowing. Cost a lot less than a tiller too. Just have to adjust the cut and angles for what you want to do.
our Amish neighbors use one of these, but its attached to some horses, just watched them do it
our former neighbors that used to do our gardens before they moved used a tiller, and it seemed to work great always had nice soil in the spring to start the garden but I will look into how much those cost and how available they are
certainly look less hard to maintain . I wished we had bought theirs

View attachment 117226
Same design that I have. Logs work well for weight, or steel plate if you have it laying around too.
I usually pull a sub soiler thru in the fall, or my 2 bottom turning plow. Then work it up good in the spring with the disk.
Dad has a tiller and it does a great job. But sometimes depending on soil conditions it just turns the dirt to powder. If you are on any kind of slope rains will cause erosion. Not so much with a disk.
Only maintenance is to keep them greased. Then new blades and bearing every now and then. And that depends on how many acres you are working and how often. IIRC mine was under $1000 new for a 5 foot model. It is a few years old now

I'm glad they will replace the burned fencing @Mountain trapper !

I got up this morning and watered roses and walked first.
My laptop came on like nothing happened. I cleared cookies, etc before I shut it down.
We did not get any rain after the big predictions. It just went around us.
I cooked burger and bacon to put in Cowboy Beans for Sunday.
Have to go lean up a little again at Church. Workers working in bathrooms and making a mess on the floors after I mopped them yesterday.

I'm taking a few days off of work. Tonight I'm taking my daughter and her two best friends down to Kansas City. Tomorrow we are going to the Kansas City Renaissance Festival. My daughter's friends have never been to a Ren Faire so this should be a lot of fun. Daughter insisted I get dressed up for this event, so I went and found a monk's robe to wear. I hope I don't get struck by lightning for impersonating a holy man...

we have a John Deere 1250 it would have to fit on that
I just looked up the data on your tractor. It is listed as 44 hp and between 4000 to 5000 lbs depending on configuration.
Mine is 32 hp and between 5000 to 5500 lbs.
I see no reason you couldn't use a disk. They do make 4 ft models as well as 6 and 7 foot for 3 pt hitch. 4 foot is light, 7 ft is heavy. 5 ft works well for us.

we have a John Deere 1250 it would have to fit on that
That 1250 should be able to handle a small disk. If you have the version with front wheel assist, it will get better traction and be able handle pulling a bit better. With all that weight on the 3 point hitch, it may be helpful to add weight to the front of the tractor.

Put up some sour cherry, walnut, & citrus conserve. It‘s pretty tasty, but I’m unconvinced it’s going to gel up as much as I’d like. Conserves are hard that way; it’s difficult to judge the syrup compared to doing jam.

Also got my blood draw done this morning. Hoping the doc has good news for me this time; been working hard on eating well and getting enough exercise, to the tune of having lost about six pounds in the last three months.

Tired now though, and I’ve still got dishes, stuff to take to FedEx, and things to pick up at Savory Spice and Costco, and and and …

I'm taking a few days off of work. Tonight I'm taking my daughter and her two best friends down to Kansas City. Tomorrow we are going to the Kansas City Renaissance Festival. My daughter's friends have never been to a Ren Faire so this should be a lot of fun. Daughter insisted I get dressed up for this event, so I went and found a monk's robe to wear. I hope I don't get struck by lightning for impersonating a holy man...
Went to that every year when I lived near KC.

Long day. My wife ordered some stuff from Walmart, personal shopper, for me to pick up. Of course when I got there the whole order was wrong, so I had to go shopping. Then I mowed, 50 degrees, 30 mph wind, I about froze. Then, while she was starting homemade soup, I did dishes and laundry. Took the dog for a walk, and I am beat. Doesn't help that my hemoglobin is down to 10. Still have to finish some wood carved wizards I am donating to an auction for some one who has cancer. Don't know them, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

Picked tomatoes and peppers after animal chores, Guinea keets and meat chicks are doing well. Filled a cart at Aldi, picked up husband's MRI results for him, and his RX's. Having dinner early and getting little granddaughter to the High School in the next town over for the evening. Her grade school band (2 kids) are playing pep band and half time for the football game with the High School band. She is over the top excited, she also did this last year. So...the weather has turned. I'll be putting on leggings under my skirt and bringing my jacket so I don't freeze tonight on the bleachers.

Latest posts

Back