What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, "muscadines and scuppernongs"....what the heck? Sounds like boat parts to me, but I guess you're eating them? Is that another one of those alien things my southern friends talk about, like okra?
The big step happened today, the realtor sign is pegged in the ground out in front of my house. It needed to be done, but boy is it hard to see and to know that my 30 years here has come to an end. This was the home I shared with my Husband for an all too brief a time; where my daughter grew up, and where I learned to run a circuit, sweat a pipe, shingle a roof, plaster a wall, and all the other things I'm too old to do now.
And just to add to the drama, a gal smacked a deer right out in front, I heard the "bam!" when I was in the kitchen putting the tea kettle on. It was just starting to get light and one last doe was too slow getting across the road. Of course the carcass landed just off the corner of my yard. When I got back from my errands I had to wrap a tow strap on it and drag it down around the corner and dump it in the ditch. Otherwise it would have stunk up the whole yard just when people would be coming to tour the house!
I did manage to cut the grass around the house, got too dark to finish up over by the outbuildings. I'll have to go out tomorrow and rake it and then cut it again, there's huge windrows everywhere.
Plumber put in the gas line for the new stove at the new house today, so now the appliances can get delivered. Started the chore of ripping up the carpeting. The entire house is carpeted, including the kitchen and bath. I refuse to take a shower there until I get that bathroom down to bare wood.
Amish and Snappy, prayers for your Husbands. I know how stressful it is when a spouse is ill.
LadyLocust you remind me of my Daughter's statement when she was complaining about having nothing to eat and I told her to get something out of the well-stocked pantry - "that's not food, that's ingredients!".
Muscadines and Scuppernogs are native southern types of grapes. And the are goooooood

Big cleaning job and working with the dog I'm training. Training the owners and the dog. They have done a great job, I really wasn't sure how they were going to do, so far great! Will be watching the sky for big storms later this evening!! After months of no rain it may come all at once!! Hope everyone has a great day!!♥️😊

Our cars are getting a detail today. Don’t ask me when the last time was that we did that. Oops.

Once breakfast dishes are done, I’m getting that apple butter on the stove and taking a stab at some housecleaning while it simmers. I have a birthday gift I need to finish up and mail, too …

Yesterday I tried to start a fire in the fur shed. Turns out the chimney was plugged and the whole building filled with smoke. I'll clean out the chimney today. My trapping supply order arrived yesterday, happy day! Later this morning I'll start boiling and dying my traps. Before the snow falls I want to set out some coyote and fox traps on the ridge to the west of us. It's about 7,000 ft elevation up there so snow comes early, and lasts until July.
Going to work on the fencing for the new chicken run later. And start rounding up the cattle to get ready to move them down to the valley for the winter.

Just called our chimney sweep for this season. We use our wood burner so much in the winter. Crazy morning already. I'm about ready to hang out some laundry then tackle the upstairs cleaning. I haven't cleaned the guest room since our son left. Took neighbor girl to school, came home and got the animal chores done. Little granddaughter's school had a two hr late start, so turned around and brought her later. Picked up the meat chicks from the post office...they are all peeping and eating. The guinea keets have done ok in the milkhouse overnight without heat, and the lone turkey hen is getting back her mojo and eating well this morning. Maybe stop in to the amish store and then visit my favorite cousin this afternoon, if husband is doing well enough to leave alone. We started a Torah study yesterday, and already learning some bizarro stuff about Noah and Ham.

Went to Walmart to pick up a few groceries because the only store we still have does not have much variety. Walmart was swamped. Got behind a guy with two carts full. When the cashier finished his checkout, $600 worth. He runs his SNAP card and it only has $300 on it. So he has to take out 1 item at a time and she has to deduct it until he gets down to $300. I suggested that he buy a calculator. What a PITA.

The Princess has 3 new shelving units to keep her entertained.

20231004_152144.jpg

I believe she plans to use them for her canning supplies.

Ben

Walked first.
Took friend to Walmart and local grocery.
Came home and made VA calls for DH.
Oreo, the big previously abused dog has injured himself and attacked DH twice. Have a vet coming out tomorrow, hopefully to see options. There is no putting him in the car to go anywhere anymore.

Walked first.
Took friend to Walmart and local grocery.
Came home and made VA calls for DH.
Oreo, the big previously abused dog has injured himself and attacked DH twice. Have a vet coming out tomorrow, hopefully to see options. There is no putting him in the car to go anywhere anymore.
More and more vets are making house calls these days, many animals need that. Hope everything goes well!! Please update!!

We had a division wide meeting, partly to introduce our new top level director. Old guy just retired. I used to work with the new one years ago, she always struck me as one who looked out for her folks and kept them what they needed to do their job. I'm happy about this move.
She announced that our group is being moved to a new division along with our Meterological, weld test, and fabrication groups. Finally we are going to be located where we should be. And will be out from under our current division director who looked for ways to make life as difficult as she could. She was placed in her role just like the new cali senator, just for being female. She has zero background in instrumentation and it showed at about every move.
Not sure who our new DD will be, sure hope its a move up. But just being with the new group will provide many opportunities for each group being moved. Lots of chances to work together and keep lots of work in house. And opportunities for new growth.

We had a division wide meeting, partly to introduce our new top level director. Old guy just retired. I used to work with the new one years ago, she always struck me as one who looked out for her folks and kept them what they needed to do their job. I'm happy about this move.
She announced that our group is being moved to a new division along with our Meterological, weld test, and fabrication groups. Finally we are going to be located where we should be. And will be out from under our current division director who looked for ways to make life as difficult as she could. She was placed in her role just like the new cali senator, just for being female. She has zero background in instrumentation and it showed at about every move.
Not sure who our new DD will be, sure hope its a move up. But just being with the new group will provide many opportunities for each group being moved. Lots of chances to work together and keep lots of work in house. And opportunities for new growth.
That sure sounds good.

Thank God for what looks like a good change!

Ben

Big cleaning job and working with the dog I'm training. Training the owners and the dog. They have done a great job, I really wasn't sure how they were going to do, so far great! Will be watching the sky for big storms later this evening!! After months of no rain it may come all at once!! Hope everyone has a great day!!♥️😊
Stay Safe tonight Pearl. I pray a hedge of protection over you, your family, and property.

Worked. We are having our “Indian Summer” as they once called it. Looks like it should be nice for the next week anyways. Hopefully through the following weekend since we will be having our cidering. Looking forward to that.

I am making a replacement cover for a big shed tent out of a large 24x40 tarp. Today, I sprayed the tarp with UV resistant spray. During the next couple of days, I will be gluing it in the appropriate places to make pockets for tie down straps front and back, and making pockets for the bottom side rails.

Once it is in place on the frame, I will put a smaller sacrifice tarp over the top. I am so sick of everything being biodegradable when the intended use dictates otherwise.

You can put a temporary fix on that linoleum, all you need to do is get a matching roll and cut out a square that will fit in the bad spot, cut out the ripped up area with a box cutter and use some rubber cement around the edges of the new and the old, then put boards or bricks on them overnight, then go back with carpet tacks or staples.

Put clear tape over the cracks.

Lightsabers never get old! If you want it to last make the "blade" out of a piece of PVC pipe and paint it some fluorescent color, nest it inside another piece, and paint it to suit you.
I'll have to post a picture, but it's a rather large area and they don't sell that crappy linoleum anywhere anymore. We actually have replacement vinyl sheet to put in but we will do that AFTER we fix the floor. The wax seal broke under the toilet but we couldn't tell. It was seeping water into the subfloor & rotted it. One day my brother was on the crapper when the floor collapsed and the toilet fell over (a joist stopped it from dropping straight down). I heard a crash and him swearing. It dumped the contents all over him & the floor. My father cut out the most affected area (which was a few feet in both directions) and replaced it with OSB but he didn't put supports underneath as he was in a hurry to get the toilet back in. He tore up the linoleum when he patched the floor. The plywood right in front of the OSB moves. We're going to have to pull the toilet, cut out the OSB, add supports under the plywood that moves, add supports under new plywood (and try to get it to the same height as the existing plywood, level it out, tape over the seams & screw heads, install a new closet flange, etc. We also need to tear out the old tub & replace it with a shower. Got a roll of vinyl sheet waiting to be put in once the floor is fixed and shower is in.

I recently watched Star Wars Rebels and really liked the lightsaber blaster combo. Well, I like the idea of it. The actual design was OK but I want something sleeker. Found a 3d model that can be printed:
1696479526696.png
I want to make one with an angled front part so it will resemble an electric staple gun. My really crappy approximation taken from altering staple guns was this:

1696479673901.png

I digressed too much. LOL. Is there a forum section to talk about crafting cosplay stuff?
@MoBookworm1957 , I hope you recover quickly from the surgery & that the next surgery goes well.

@snappy1, I hope Oreo can be helped and will stop attacking.

Today I cleaned litterboxes again, put in more fresh litter, took out some trash, cooked for Mom, went to Walmart with my brother, went to the post office, put away groceries, cooked for Mom, ate a salad, played Mistplay games trying to get a gift card, watched the season finale of Ahsoka, and watched youtube videos.

My processor arrived so now I just need a PSU (power supply unit). The one I want is $154 and some change so I'm trying to get enough points on Mistplay for a $50 gift card. Mom mentioned that fall Prime day is coming up on the 10th. I'd wanted to have the PC built by my birthday saturday but I can wait to see if the price goes down-- and see if I can get the points.

It's about time for my evening meds.

So the tiller problem continues...
We got the plow attached to the tractor, the bushings I ordered worked. But the new hand tiller does not work on the pasture husband plowed up.
So we still have the same problem we had last year. Not sure if I posted this on here, I think I might have but we bought one from RK that couldn't be put together and returned it. I found some used ones to look at but not sure they will fit on our tractor and how to load and unload them since they are super heavy
Too bad you can't rent tractor implements and have them delivered.

Did all the laundry yesterday since it was dry and warm out. Supposed to get really cold this weekend
Husband's sister and her husband are supposed to visit next week so I need to clean the house
We still also have a section of barn ( don't use that part in summer very often) that needs to be cleaned but it's not much left

Poor Bibi the African Gray Parrot had another seizure last night, and he's barely breathing this morning. Nothing more I can do for him.
Busy day today...I'll be driving little granddaughter and neighbor girl to their schools, getting husband ready for appts today....lab work and two doc appts in the big town, all before lunch. And animal chores this morning.
Hope your storm damage isn't too bad, Pearl. We had one, the night before you, but all was ok. And we needed the rain. Supposedly getting down to low night temps tomorrow night, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Poor Bibi the African Gray Parrot had another seizure last night, and he's barely breathing this morning. Nothing more I can do for him.
Busy day today...I'll be driving little granddaughter and neighbor girl to their schools, getting husband ready for appts today....lab work and two doc appts in the big town, all before lunch. And animal chores this morning.
Hope your storm damage isn't too bad, Pearl. We had one, the night before you, but all was ok. And we needed the rain. Supposedly getting down to low night temps tomorrow night, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Sorry about Bibi!! Have a safe trip to the doc appointments.

So the tiller problem continues...
We got the plow attached to the tractor, the bushings I ordered worked. But the new hand tiller does not work on the pasture husband plowed up.
So we still have the same problem we had last year. Not sure if I posted this on here, I think I might have but we bought one from RK that couldn't be put together and returned it. I found some used ones to look at but not sure they will fit on our tractor and how to load and unload them since they are super heavy
Too bad you can't rent tractor implements and have them delivered.
Maybe I could help, do you have a pic of the tiller and a description of what its "NOT" doing? It may be as simple as changing the depth or angle?

Latest posts

Back