What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slept little later than usual today—easy to with 62 degrees and breezy.

Watered greenhouse plants. Picked my garlic scapes. Taking Dad to get a new battery in his phone then to Lidl for food shopping. Hopefully I’ll remember to get some Danish butter so I can make a compound butter with the scapes. Need to plant my petunias and get the last herb planter ready for the plants I’m getting tomorrow. And mow the lawn—how could I forget that 🤪

Bo and I walked a little while ago. He goes with me almost every day, now and does great!
Washed dog blankets and am giving flea meds, today.
Washed bathroom rugs in advance of cleaning bathroom.
Will clean baths and dust house.
Have vitamins and zyrtec to order.
Will make biscuits for future meals.

Hope you all have good weather and a great weekend!

I had a fever and chills for 36 hours and that was it. The darn thing was way over exaggerated.

China flu is a good name. I call it the government virus.
I think someone saw the Vid coming.

Going to finish mowing the orchard and around the berries this morning. Started watering the berries earlier, need to water the fruit trees today too. Some of our blackberry plants died from the frost and snow we had a couple weeks ago. Going to finish excavating the site for the fire pit and the BBQ pit. The wife wants me to put up 2 new bird feeders, so I'll dig the holes after breakfast. Then I'll start pulling out posts on the fence I plan on moving. There's only about 300-400 yards of fence that I'm moving at this time. Got another mile or so new fence to build, just not today. It's starting to get hot here. Yesterday it hit 74 degs.

Yesterday we finished building our Carboard boat in preparation of our annual cardboard race regatta. This is the 5th year we have participated. Won 3, placed 2nd in two. Lots of fun! Pictures are of the stages of the building. This year we built a canoe-style boat...surprisingly solid and can seat 5 men. The rudder was an afterthought as most guys don't know how to steer a canoe. Pics are stages of building.

Attachments

• Carboat boat.jpg
    Carboat boat.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Cardboard boat 1.jpg
    Cardboard boat 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Cardboard boat 2.jpg
    Cardboard boat 2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Cardboard boat 3.jpg
    Cardboard boat 3.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
sitting here trying to figure out where to go from here.....
one of the gardens is a total fail. We will never be able to remove the weeds and keep the plants alive , just no time
the other one is a little better ( we worked on it before we both got sick)
the pastures that are steep have sky high grass. We have all these animals and they still can't keep it mowed. But I do not want to start getting cows at this point either
we have no good way of mowing anything steep. last time we rented a self propelled large brush mower but it was still a huge amount of work to do it. Neither of us is in shape to do this anytime soon.
yesterday we thought we had lost 4 little goats. They were just not visible in the grass. This is not good, snakes can hide also
This year we have had the perfect weather for everything to grow. I hate seeing the blueberries and cherries going to waste but we can't pick them.

So things are not looking good here and I am debating on if we just need to sell the animals and quit. Things haven't been this bad in 8 years since we started, almost 9 now. We have never both been sick /injured at the same time. Son is still recovering also and there are a lot of things he has never done or helped with since it wasn't necessary
All thanks to one stupid decision on my part. It's amazing how things can get screwed up really fast by making a bad choice. Everyone here is worried about SHTF etc etc, and here some stupid viruses are about to wipe our way of life out.

doing something probably unecessary now but wanted it done, laundry. Washing the bedstuff . I am thinking getting rid of some germs might help get better faster

The wife and I both had the China flu. We didn't take anything for it and never wore the mask, either before, during or after the flu. We survived just fine.
I am not really taking anything now, just took a few of those pills I got plus a few days of cough syrup. I suppose I will survive ( been sick since last Monday night) but it sure is not fitting in our schedule right now in any way possible ( plus mine is probably worse since I have the flu too) . actually I have been sick since about 3 weeks ago , counting the first cold or whatever I had over there

Who took care of your animals while you were sick?

Back home...had to evacuate the house, the wheat field across the dirt road was on fire. Aaron the amish lad was mowing and spotted it. Got husband and pup and Aaron in the truck and drove down the road to the other neighbors to watch. The fire came up to the edge, but didn't cross the road. Thankfully. All houses, neighbors and animals are good. Looks like at least 100 acres burned. I've never seen a wall of flames that high. It was ready for harvest. No clue how it started, unless maybe someone thru a cigarette out the window. Half the town was here putting it out.
Getting ready to go to farmer's mkt, the post office, the pharmacy, and to pick up little granddaughter.
glad your property is ok, scary.....too bad for the owner of the wheat field, must be large loss for them

Mainly for the women folk , I post this . Today I will meet the newest addition to our tribe " a Prison Baby " . The baby ain't done nothing but the mom is incarcerated . The tribe will be raising the child in the ways of morality and survival skills . It arrived to our survival grounds during last night's darkness .

8:00 feedstore run
put up feed and hay, draining water tank into the garden so horses can have fresh water.
a little weeding...

Edited to add: mowed the back yard, our Little Eden.

heat index already over 100*

time to find something inside to do.

Last edited:
Mainly for the women folk , I post this . Today I will meet the newest addition to our tribe " a Prison Baby " . The baby ain't done nothing but the mom is incarcerated . The tribe will be raising the child in the ways of morality and survival skills . It arrived to our survival grounds during last night's darkness .
I read this 3 times and don't really understand it...??! Maybe this is the covid brain fog.....

Went out and did some trimming, removed a few small trees trying to take hold where trees dont belong and checked the fence line to make sure it was secure. Then I got the power washer out and sprayed down the patio. Come inside to the smell of banana bread which was cooling on the stove top and the sight of a shapely butt sticking out of a pile of blankets on the sofa. The lady obviously decided to go back to sleep. Guess I will surf the net a bit more and go find something else to do.

enjoying the weather Ekaterina ordered, it landed a couple of provinces west it is about 45 F here today. but then it is the first weekend of June, so it might snow,

Wow. I can't even comprehend snow right now. We're at 95 degrees, high humidity, glad chores are done and that I'm inside.
Went to our neighbor's greenhouse/veg stand, the one that lost 100 acres of wheat yesterday. I'll try to buy from her what I don't grow. She starts earlier than I and has two huge greenhouses, and three smaller ones. Bought cabbage, cucumbers, yellow squash, and two lbs of greenbeans. And new red potatoes for tonight's side dish.
Then went to the amish discount for some storage dry goods.
Puppy made such a poopy mess last night in little granddaughter's room, he is banned from up there. He will be sleeping in the big kennel downstairs tonight. He is a perfect dog, except for his housebreaking. We are trying everything.

Since it is cold for this time of year , I lit the wood stove, and started a pot of white beans

Had a nice morning with GF and Ruby the dog. We went to the softball fields and took Ruby off the leash to play fetch for a while. She fetches like a champ as long as there are treats involved. She'll bring the ball right to our feet and drop it and lay down. But if there aren't any treats, she wants to play Keep-Away with the ball and won't let us have it back. This afternoon has been spent with my daughter getting ready for our trip to Florida. We've been sorting what clothes to take and doing a little packing. Then we went to Walmart to get some last minute items we'll need. Daughter is a bit nervous because it's her first time flying but I know she'll enjoy it once we're in the air. We fly out at 0930 Monday morning so we're getting a hotel room near the airport tomorrow night...

Went to "Rods Project" Farm Market and Trade days. Arts and crafts from local vendors, and a classic car show. Met some friends, and we went to a local restaurant for lunch, and they got to see the new house. Wilmington Ohio has changed in the 50 years since I was there last :p

Our friends were amazed/annoyed there wasn't much to do around, kinda exactly why we moved there :p

sitting here trying to figure out where to go from here.....
one of the gardens is a total fail. We will never be able to remove the weeds and keep the plants alive , just no time
the other one is a little better ( we worked on it before we both got sick)
the pastures that are steep have sky high grass. We have all these animals and they still can't keep it mowed. But I do not want to start getting cows at this point either
we have no good way of mowing anything steep. last time we rented a self propelled large brush mower but it was still a huge amount of work to do it. Neither of us is in shape to do this anytime soon.
yesterday we thought we had lost 4 little goats. They were just not visible in the grass. This is not good, snakes can hide also
This year we have had the perfect weather for everything to grow. I hate seeing the blueberries and cherries going to waste but we can't pick them.

So things are not looking good here and I am debating on if we just need to sell the animals and quit. Things haven't been this bad in 8 years since we started, almost 9 now. We have never both been sick /injured at the same time. Son is still recovering also and there are a lot of things he has never done or helped with since it wasn't necessary
All thanks to one stupid decision on my part. It's amazing how things can get screwed up really fast by making a bad choice. Everyone here is worried about SHTF etc etc, and here some stupid viruses are about to wipe our way of life out.

doing something probably unecessary now but wanted it done, laundry. Washing the bedstuff . I am thinking getting rid of some germs might help get better faster
I know when I had covid, I stayed in my room for 2 and 1/2 weeks hallucinating, fever, chills and such. Nothing I took helped until I went to the hospital and they gave me the IV with a small bag of some super med they had. You can only get one per stay but the next day they were letting me out and I gelt fine!
Please don't give up on your dream! I realize how hard it is now and what your going thru with covid. But it can, and will, get better! Do you have any neighbors that may be able yo help? Maybe call the hospital and see if they have the med pack thing. Our hospitals were only keeping patients for 2 days because that's all it took.
We will keep you in our Prayers that all will work out! Please try Not to give up!
I may be out of line for suggesting all this but I believe our dreams we start should be finished.

Things finally settled down on our road. The fire torched another 10 acres past the hedge row, but that's owned by a cousin of mine. Saw them out there harvesting wheat after that part of the fire was put out. Looks pretty bad across the road from us, 100 acres of burnt wheat down to the ground. All black around the utility poles, I'm surprised that they didn't go up in flames. We went to the farmer's mkt...lots of treats and gossip, the post office, into the bigger town to two different pharmacies, picked up little granddaughter at her last zoo day and went out for ice cream. Then loaded up a cart at Dollar Tree. I heard that they'll be a $1.50 tree soon.
There is no more Dollar Tree where I live now. They changed it to Five and Under. Most stuff is now $5 and I don't think I've seen anything that was still $1.

I slept in, fed kitties, got a call from my Aunt Mary and talked for a bit. She was checking in on me. She might need knee replacement surgery since she keeps having to get gel injections in her knee. She said it was 118°F in Arizona yesterday. Yikes. She also told me about some funny stuff one of her grandkids did. In kindergarten his teacher explained that the sun evaporates the water and that is why we have deserts. Kid apparently got out of his sit and went over to the window to flip the sun off. Went and cooked for Mom and have been trying to find an alternative to the style of switch for my cistern.

Friend's ex contacted me. She went into labor a week before she was supposed to get a C-Section and they took the little goblin out this morning (via C-section). It's her 3rd baby. She dumped the 2nd one at my friend's house without asking yesterday because she was in labor. Fortunately, my friend is a nice guy and wasn't mad about it. I'm about to get up and grab some food for myself. Kitties are all sleeping and not jumping on me so they aren't hungry right now.

@sonya123 get as much fresh air as you can without getting to hot.

The people I have seen fare the best are those who kept as mobile as possible drank plenty of fluids and kept their temp down.

@Spikedriver spoil that girl I remember the day mine told me she was getting married I liked and still love her husband, but I was worse than her mom as to her leaving home.

Daddy's girls are special, I told my nephew that, and he should spoil her while she was home, he kinda of looked funny about it but when his left home he told me "Boy were you ever right" but he did give her everything she would take, she was like mine Independent from the day she could get her own money she did, but I still never have and never will refuse mine anything she asks for if I can get it.

@sonya123 get as much fresh air as you can without getting to hot.

The people I have seen fare the best are those who kept as mobile as possible drank plenty of fluids and kept their temp down.
This is what I did when I had it. I kept moving (even if I just did a couple of laps around the apartment several times a day. Got outside in the fresh air and sunshine every chance I could. I also drank a lot of tea with lemon, honey ad cinnamon.

Wow. I can't even comprehend snow right now. We're at 95 degrees, high humidity, glad chores are done and that I'm inside.
Went to our neighbor's greenhouse/veg stand, the one that lost 100 acres of wheat yesterday. I'll try to buy from her what I don't grow. She starts earlier than I and has two huge greenhouses, and three smaller ones. Bought cabbage, cucumbers, yellow squash, and two lbs of greenbeans. And new red potatoes for tonight's side dish.
Then went to the amish discount for some storage dry goods.
Puppy made such a poopy mess last night in little granddaughter's room, he is banned from up there. He will be sleeping in the big kennel downstairs tonight. He is a perfect dog, except for his housebreaking. We are trying everything.
Think about what and when you are feeding him!!

Latest posts

Back