What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bro, I hope you were getting medical help, that is nothing to do alone. But if you were alone, I’d say you’re something else. Hang in there. Praying for ya! :cool:
Wasn’t my first rodeo… and alone. Been there twice now.

The problem is there might have to be a third time. It’s a long story. Tonight I bought a pint to curb withdrawals, that I gather you know can be serious, it’s almost gone now. I’m kicking myself.

Seriously, don't be a next time, because, you know, there might not be. I assume alcohol detoxifications are still allowed in hospitals. That's where you belong. I urge you to go there now by calling for help, not driving.
I’ll be fine. I think enough has been said about it and this isn’t an AA thread. You asked how I was doing and I answered, that’s all.

Forgive my ‘sharp tone’ …. just carrying on with the thread. You’ll know I’m fine when I post about forward progress in my live.

Froze credit with all 3 credit companies.
I just did that too! I got a letter from the hospital I went to after I got sick from the trip saying their data got hacked and I should do that. So, buying on Temu so far has not caused me any problems, but going to the hospital DID. They have my name , address, phone number and ss. All they need. Probably nobody is going to try to get credit in my name since they will also know I am a farmer with literally no income but you never know
I had my identity stolen once long time ago by car theft ( left purse in car 5 minutes in the pouring rain in Orlando while picking kids up from daycare) . It was a HUGE hassle that took a year to fix

busy day yesterday, husband was gone half the day getting his knee xrayed,, and getting sawdust ,son picked more apples, I now have 3 buckets full
I walked the entire fence in our largest steepest pasture to find where the top electric was shorting out. Some barbed wire got wrapped up in it. Our fencing is so crap!! I found 5 old wooden ( tree pieces) posts that are rotten and only held up by the fence. We just replace them with T-posts since there is not other way other than try to dig a hole for a wood post by hand in between the rocks. Usually son does this. All it will take for the goats or dogs ( sheep won't do it) to push on that particular spot and they will push the fence over.
But the good news, the goat bucks stayed in. They must have got zapped by the tape and decided to not try again
Today I am going to make dough, including pie crust and we will cut up apples. I am not going to make as much bread as usual tomorrow since they have some festivals going on people might go to instead of the market. We do have regular customers that shop there first thing in the morning every week mostly but there are also a lot of people that just come occasionally and buy just a few things ( or nothing) . So we will see
Still don't have our Ranger back :(((( They don't even answer the phone now! I don't know what to do about this anymore. I guess we will have to stop by there and ask in person what is going on.

Thunderstorm going on right now. It's dark out, can't see if our red pickup truck is here or not, that would mean the train made it in, and son is here. When we went to bed, it was running 2 hrs late already. Sis made it in a bit early. One daughter is coming in this afternoon from Tuscon, the other daughter with the issues checked herself in for drinking help again yesterday. Made it a bit over 30 days this time. Will miss seeing her, but hoping this time will be better. So....lots to do today, daughter is Ubering from the airport around noonish, so I don't have to drive. Funny, Ubers will bring people here, never come to pick them up. The amish food place is doing a big meat and cheese platter I'll be picking up today for easy lunches the next few days, already have the bread rolls, need to make salads. Going out to dinner with everyone (little granddaughter's bday pick) to Olive Garden tonight in the bigger town. Not her bday till tomorrow, but we've got dinner plans tomorrow in our town...the cookout and the street games for the locals. Picking up a bday cake for little granddaughter, too.

Yesterday was yet another stellar day /sarc. Had to leave work at 3:30 to take Dad to the dentist--he's got a molar that wants an exit plan. Had the appropriate coverage lined up last week. 1:45 the evening tech sent me a text, she won't be in--family stuff she was taking care of in the morning was taking too long. She was scheduled 2-8. The tech working with us in the morning stayed until 6:45 (scheduled time was 4pm) and one of the other part time girls was able to cover 5-8. I'll have to do something nice for those two girls.

I got a notice from LifeLock about my data being part of the breach. Got all my credit frozen. Of course I don't know what good that will do when one of the credit reporting agencies had their own breach a year or so ago.

Tossed and turned all night and had to keep flipping my pillow bc it was getting wet and too warm. Didn't have to get up to pee as often bc I was sweating so much. Outside AC unit keeps shutting off completely for no apparent reason. Not sure why. But even the fan on it stops running. I had to do the breaker thing to get it back on again this morning. I just changed the hallway filter. It wasn't so bad but I figured a change might help anyway. Need to change the one in my brother's room but he yelled at me for going in there and he has trash and clothes partway covering the vent. Which may be part of the problem. I really want to move the 2nd vent out of his room and into the hallway.

Mewlatto saw that I was awake and no longer on my side so he's laying across my chest.

i have 3 fans on me and a window open to let in the cool air. Obviously will have to close it when it warms up more.

I setup Samsclub curbside for this afternoon because we are about out of bottled water.

Sorry about your lack of AC situation @zannej ! Hang on another 2 weeks and it will start to cool down a little.

Already walked.
Put stuff away in shed.
Next, will make deviled eggs and then cook sausage and eggs for breakfast burritos.
Have Bible Study tonight and then water roses.
Easy day!

Got up, worked out, cleaned up and decided to just sit here in the coolness of the morning sipping an Americano while helping my personal NSA agent stay busy logging all my internet activities. Just in case he is bored or needs more data here are some terroristic keywords to help him: freedom, America, family, Trump, firearms, constitution, Jesus, AR-15, civil liberties, pro-life, conservative, handgun, libertarian, Republic, government overreach and straight white male. That should keep him busy. Not sure what the rest of the day will hold for me, guess it will just need to unfold on its own.

Watering the orchard, didn't do any watering yesterday. Gassed 5 gopher holes. Going to start on the roof on the chicken coop this morning. The daughter and grandson came down last night. After lunch I'll get the Python out and let the gkids shoot it. They're 8 and 9 so I'll start them out with .38 special.
It's pretty smokey again today. High temp yesterday was 72 degs today might be a little warmer, then it's supposed to cool off to the upper 50's to low 60's for high temps and upper 30's to 40's at night. Might get some rain tomorrow night and Saturday. It would be nice to get enough rain to put these fires out. The fire to the north is around 50,000 acres now.

well recall my book saga...that took 27/28 days...i just got a book from british book company from u.k....in 8 days....went through multiple shippers too.

that 28 day deal ....pfffttt....heck i gotten stuff out of russia in less than 10 days...china is only 2 weeks and japan too.

so, the power is off ( have solar plugged in for the large regular fridge and the internet, the freezers will stay cold for a while), supposed to get fixed by this afternoon sometime
( nothing new, no storm just whatever)
but the good news, our Ranger is fixed ( we hope!!) and husband is on the way to pick it up. I finally got a hold of someone and was told " its been fixed for a few days, we left a message" but no messages on any phones here...so either they called a wrong number , dreamed it , or flat out lied
I sure hope this thing is really fixed now. I am very much not happy with it, should have bought a cheap piece of crap from China, at least then it would not have been a surprise

cut up 6 cups of apples so far, need 12

Got up, worked out, cleaned up and decided to just sit here in the coolness of the morning sipping an Americano while helping my personal NSA agent stay busy logging all my internet activities. Just in case he is bored or needs more data here are some terroristic keywords to help him: freedom, America, family, Trump, firearms, constitution, Jesus, AR-15, civil liberties, pro-life, conservative, handgun, libertarian, Republic, government overreach and straight white male. That should keep him busy. Not sure what the rest of the day will hold for me, guess it will just need to unfold on its own.
I bet he's enjoying reading your soap opera too!!

Went back to work today, the manager was happy to see me and no bitching or complaints. He even gave me a compliment. Odd… that is out of character for him, and I was straight-up with him about my ‘illnesses’.

Today’s job was my least favorite job for the company and with a machine that isn’t best suited for the job, but all went well enough.

Relaxing for a few now, then… some yard work and make some progress on a mechanical repair job I started at home.

Probably done posting for the day. Hope you all have a good one and see ya tomorrow.

Last edited:
I bet he's enjoying reading your soap opera too!!

I write fake posts just for him:

Then she reached down and grabbed my unregistered suppressor, it was warm in her soft hands. She leaned in to my ear and whispered "say something a only a real man would say". I kissed her neck and softly replied "all taxation is theft". She moaned as I pressed firmly but gently on the submit button, making a donation to the Trump campaign. "OMG!" she shrieked, "its so... big", referencing of course the dollar amount.

Thanks, Snappy1. Hoping it will cool off soon, but may have to call the AC guys soon because this heat is too much. Even Mom has fans running and she normally complains about it being too cold.

Sonya, I hope you get power back on soon. Glad your Ranger is fixed.

Its up to 83 in the house now and it sucks. I need to figure out if I can get my old Evergo ceiling fan fixed. I like the way it looks and don't want to replace it with the ugly new ones. I like the gold stencils on the blades and the sturdy blade holders that aren't like the cheap weak ones they make nowadays.

Got apple pie and some fruit while in Samsclub and stopped at the Chinese place. Had a brief chat with the owner as we usually try to do. He's a nice man.

I had some apple pie with vanilla bean ice cream when I got home (after getting food for Mom). She likes the vegetables out of the Mei Fun noodles.

Right now Mewlatto is asleep on some drawers close to me. Biscuits is on drawers farther away. Aminatu is up against my leg. Bethesda is on top of my door. And Yasuke is partway on my leg and partway on my lap tray. He just got up and climbed on me more and wanted pets. Biscuits got jealous so now he's hanging on to my shoulder.

so from one problem to the next

just as we got our power back ( late ) , of course just after we hooked everything up to the generator, our water went out. Some Amish neighbors broke our waterline from the spring by installing another waterline that crosses ours. So when they did it, they broke an old piece of metal pipe at a shutoff valve that can no longer be shut off ( too old, corroded , metal pipe has holes in it)
They patched it up but its now leaking and has to be fixed. I sure hope they have a plan of fixing this or half the neighborhood will have no water . It was dirty for an hour (letting it run for an hour) and now the tank is probably almost empty

Zannej: I feel for you, know what it is like to not have a/c when its hot out ( been there done that in Florida many times)

I am glad other Amish families are also hooked up to our waterline, so they will have to deal with it...
Hope there is not a water war coming, usually , it's pretty wet here but this year very dry. I don't know what we will do if the spring dries up. We are too high for a well ( beside we have no money for one)

Another trip to the big town today. Got to eat at the best chinese restaurant in town. Great food as always. I don’t eat there very often, its annoyingly difficult to get to because of major road construction/redesign. 2 miles of loops and turns all within 300yrds of the restaurant, another year to complete. Reminds me of the old joke ‘you can’t get there from here!’ Despite the fact it’s in plain view. 21 lanes of traffic, 2 major roads, 3 access roads, a bridge and a major river all within 400yds. And I thought the chinese fire drill was supposed to be in the restaurant. 🤣

Anyway, drove to the other side of the big town to place an order. Was told via phone yesterday that I needed to come in and pay 50% up front. That was waived by the manager I was speaking to in person today. And they’ll have it by monday, not a week from now. Well, at least I had a good lunch.

Stopped at my favorite produce store, watermelons, cantaloupes and tomatoes for me and the folks. Came home and took a well deserved nap. 😊

Last edited:
Woke up an hour later than normal, hit the can, made my way to the coffee pot, produce a big cup of Holler Mountain coffee, grabbed my laptop and made it out to the patio. It was only then I realized it was Friday and I was supposed to be working out. After some thought I decided I had worked out so much this week in a different way, that I was good to take a day off. Once I am fully awake I will do a good patio stretch, forgive myself and get started with my day.

Slept in later, sis and I are the only ones up, so comparing our arthritic pain (ha Ha) and having coffee. Little granddaughter's 13th birthday today! Told her to skip school. Animal chores soon, lots of people here for lunch, cake and gifts afterwards. The big party for the locals in town tonight...cookout and ice cream. Then the amish street games.

Latest posts

Back