What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, where is everyone? Usually I am not on here for a few hours and there is a million posts

baked my apple pies, and bread and just witnessed something sort of freaky outside. We now know why the power was off yesterday. There is a helicopter flying very low with a chain hanging off it with round sawblades attached trimming the trees next to the power liines. Wow, never seen anything like that and I would hate to have that job. I thought it was going to crash into the trees a few times watching it just for a few minutes. Husband rushed to move the goats in that pasture so nothing was falling on top of them. I wonder if the fence is still up. The power went on and off a few times, and everytime it did one of my gas ovens went out ( it needs electricty to run) so hopefully my pies are ok anyways. Finally plugged a few extension cords together and plugged the oven into the solar.

Water is still on for now. Not looking dirty at the moment either

I got up this morning after not sleeping well at all, despite taking a gummi. All these problems are stressing me out. Sometimes I feel like life is no better here than when we lived in Florida. There, I hated where we lived and my job, here there are continuous problems, one after the other. It's like we can't go a month without a at least semi serious problem to deal with. Plus we really don't have any friends here either. I want to be someone else

Sonya, would it be difficult to patch the metal pipe with pex or PVC somehow?

Jis, I hope your tendonitis heals up quickly.

I got up early and had to do the breaker flip thing and reset the AC again. Turned on more fans in the house. 3 of the ceiling fans in the house are broken (including my room, brother's room, and front room). Kitchen, living room, and mom's room have working fans at least. I have 3 desk fans pointed at me.

Anyway, I went out to try to clear weeds away from AC but my weed cutting tool wasn't strong enough. I also cut weeds along the sidewalk. Then I cleaned up the hallway, cleaned litterboxes & dumped the contents outside, brought in a new container of litter but handle broke so its going to be fun pouring it-- haven't done that yet but need to. Changed HVAC filter in my brother's room. Took out trash from Mom's bathroom and then about 10+ bags of trash that had piled up in the front room while I was sick and/or overheated. Just powered through and got it all out and was ready to fall over from the heat by the time I was done. They range from 45gallon to 55 gallon bags. Well, Mom's bathroom one is 13 gallon, the rest were a mix. Still got a couple more to take out and the litter to finish with but need to cool off.

Got notification that friend's shower door is at the store for pickup so I'll be getting that later.

I am working on a boat. right now waiting for it to cool off so I can take the carburetor apart. and having a coffee,

It's going to be a hot one here all weekend, which makes our outdoor festival a little miserable. Nephew and family should be here in a bit, and we'll go in for the burgers and street games. Wonder if they'll bring the piglets in again for the kids to catch? They have $5 rubber banded to their legs. Last year they did a contest in the street with how many guys did it take to stop a team of Clydesdales. It was alot.

Back from my mandatory three day inservice for work. Only attended about a third of it; I like my job but the higher ups have too many stupid meetings full of irrelevancies. DEI, language access, and environmental justice are just more failed leftist policies or pandering to whiners, yet they were deemed important enough to make the entire division attend presentations on those topics. As a Christian, straight white female of boomer age, I'm told that my viewpoint and opinions are wrong, based only white privilege, (whatever that might be, I still haven't seen a NAAWP) and that I must reprogram my mind to be a better citizen. My refusal to comply with the reprogramming marks me as "troublesome". So it's much better if I simply sign the attendance log in the morning and then quietly remove myself later in the day. None of that stupidity means anything in my day to day work, so it's not like I missed anything important, and it's safer to be absent than to start an arugment.
Dog was very glad to see me when I got in last night; my brother stayed with her while I was gone but apparently I'm her favorite human.
Good thing about the location of the forced inservice was that it was near some friends, and I got to visit with them. It's a three hour drive one way so I don't get to see them very often. One friend has some disability issues and is on oxygen but really wanted to try kayaking. I was able to find a place that rents sit-on-tops, and took her out there yesterday. Thankfully they had handicapped parking close by a paved walkway to the beach, so she was able to get down to the water. Helped her get on the 'yak and showed her how to paddle and gave her some pointers and she was off! Took to it like a natural and was able to handle the boat very well in just a few minutes. We had put floaties on her O2 tank in case she flipped, but she never even came close and it worked out just fine having it stowed behind the seat. It was so good to see her able to do something like that!
Now I'd better quit wasting time on the internet and go do some more work on my greenhouses. And cut grass and do some weedwhacking, nobody's been helping with that...

wow, where is everyone? Usually I am not on here for a few hours and there is a million posts

baked my apple pies, and bread and just witnessed something sort of freaky outside. We now know why the power was off yesterday. There is a helicopter flying very low with a chain hanging off it with round sawblades attached trimming the trees next to the power liines. Wow, never seen anything like that and I would hate to have that job. I thought it was going to crash into the trees a few times watching it just for a few minutes. Husband rushed to move the goats in that pasture so nothing was falling on top of them. I wonder if the fence is still up. The power went on and off a few times, and everytime it did one of my gas ovens went out ( it needs electricty to run) so hopefully my pies are ok anyways. Finally plugged a few extension cords together and plugged the oven into the solar.

Water is still on for now. Not looking dirty at the moment either

I got up this morning after not sleeping well at all, despite taking a gummi. All these problems are stressing me out. Sometimes I feel like life is no better here than when we lived in Florida. There, I hated where we lived and my job, here there are continuous problems, one after the other. It's like we can't go a month without a at least semi serious problem to deal with. Plus we really don't have any friends here either. I want to be someone else
I had a dream last night… I was expected to fly a heliotrope without proper training… hmmm..

Pretty sure I was at home in bed. 🤔

Was working at my shop today and the Mayor stopped by. That was nice. Haven't had a good chat in a couple of years.

We had our front lights in our storefront go out. Been fooling with the old timer for a week, finally got a new one. Of course it's a 3 way switch with 5 wires in the wall - 3 black, one white and a green. Why do cheap builders use all the same color wires? The old switch had 5 colors. Apparently my wife (former Navy electronic tech with a science degree) guessed right, nothing blew up and no fires, yet.

Had an early physical therapy visit ... the last ... was all paperwork, no actual physical therapy!

Went out and got gas (getting expensive: $3.899 - Premium)

Then went back to get the pups Simparica Trio at the vet. Luna ate her pill without drama ... Chess refused his! I had to bury it in a couple pieces of chicken!

Spent almost 40 mins chopping up stew beef for the pups food. Now must assemble all the ingredients and start cooking.

But ... before I do, I cracked open a bottle of The Dalmore Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky (Sherry Cask Select). Never had it before ... is very good, but a bit pricey @ $75. I guess I wont be guzzling this one!

IMG_7604.JPG

I had a dream last night… I was expected to fly a heliotrope without proper training… hmmm..

Pretty sure I was at home in bed. 🤔
FWIW: I’m serious about the dream, but might have been the night before.

I woke up remembering the dream. There was a digital panel I was supposed to understand, but it kept changing… not making any sense. And the manual controls didn’t work as I expected them to. Strange days… I’d say I woke up before I crashed and burned, but not sure if I even got off the ground.

Anyway, in here and now… had a decent day at work, until a pin on a 3-point hitch broke, 15 minutes from being done and late in the day. I did well enough to get the equipment on the trailer and back to the shop before the end in the day.

Sonya, would it be difficult to patch the metal pipe with pex or PVC somehow?
it depends on how bad of a shape the rest of the metal pipe is. If it is all rusted and corroded like the broken piece, you can't fix it. If you attach anything the next piece will break. If it is in decent shape ( doubt it) you can cut off the bad piece and attach something
Most likely it will just need to be replaced which I am not sure how to do that since the pipe goes underneath a large concrete tank. I know one thing, no engineer designed this system....
What should happen is it should all go away and be redesigned but that would all cost a small fortune I would imagine
And none of it solves the lack of rain problem we are now having

I am really starting to feel like I am living in a third world country already, good practice for when SHTF I suppose

Overcast, fire smoke haze, predicted thunder showers today.. Not that hot but MUGGY.. Weekend to be 90+F.... Second day of the state fair.. Yesterday and today both record attendance numbers.. They broadcast the evening news from the fair.. It is fun to see people and such.. Yesterdays high school marching band at the fair was the school that my son attended the year he marched with the band at the fair..
Trivia..
The fair grounds are 320+ acres..

it depends on how bad of a shape the rest of the metal pipe is. If it is all rusted and corroded like the broken piece, you can't fix it. If you attach anything the next piece will break. If it is in decent shape ( doubt it) you can cut off the bad piece and attach something
Most likely it will just need to be replaced which I am not sure how to do that since the pipe goes underneath a large concrete tank. I know one thing, no engineer designed this system....
What should happen is it should all go away and be redesigned but that would all cost a small fortune I would imagine
And none of it solves the lack of rain problem we are now having

I am really starting to feel like I am living in a third world country already, good practice for when SHTF I suppose
Welcome to the nightmare of doing rust repair on Michigan vehicles. gaah

Went to pick up friend but he messaged me that his ex called him to say CPS was there taking the kids away & that she needed him to come get the 4yr old (he just turned 4 on the 20th) so CPS didn't take him. The 2-month old baby is in the hospital with eleven broken bones. The middle kid (not sure on age) was taken and both of the older ones are scheduled to go get x-rays to make sure they don't have any old fractures. Not sure who abused the baby but someone will be going to jail. Friend's ex might be going to jail for not reporting abuse if it wasn't her that did it. If it was her then she's looking at some serious jailtime.

I got the shower door from HD along with some tools, backed into friend's driveway and helped him bring in the door piece by piece (too heavy to carry all at once). Cleaned up some dog pee bc the puppy decided to go in the middle of the floor instead of on the pad. Friend said CPS lady came over to inspect the place but all she did was ask his wife if she was ok with the kid staying there and played with the puppy.

I was going to help friend with assembly but Mom called and needed her insulin cartridge changed. Fortunately I had the new one preloaded.

Well, I found the countertops finally- they were covered with bowls of tomatoes. Also made a batch of cheese and got the back yard mowed with the push mower. It does a nicer job in smaller spaces. It got windy and blustery and began spitting rain so didn’t get the rest done.
Did 3 loads of laundry- one more yet to do. Began cleaning in office but was easily distracted from that 🤪. Maybe tomorrow. Otherwise a nice day- had the door and windows open all day which was a nice change.

Already Friday
One more week and its September..time is flying fast

Was a kind of busy day ...
But tonight I feel quite tired

Did not eat much ...you know when too tired almost to eat
So it was a chicken leftover from the freezer...
and some pieces of carrots with butter

Anyway ...Sleep well

My Dog loves me and I love her a lot 🥰

Got a busy week lined up, beginning today. Writing workshop until lunchtime, then myself and kids heading to the local 'food festival'.
Been invited to a party later. Tomorrow driving two hours to see Dad;then the week is full of appointments. In between all that I'm cleaning out cupboards and getting rid of stuff; photographing some good stuff to sell online and the rest to charity stores. Time consuming but overdue.

Not a whole lot today went to Penola and helped an elderly mate of mine by installing transceiver part of a GME 330C UHF radio up underneath his caravan cupboard i offered to install the microphone and power lead as well for him but because he has a techie coming at some stage this week to put up a improvised antenna mast opted to wait till then which was fair enough

I trialed an improvised boosted mast for my long wire antenna which made it higher up in the air however when doing a transmit test on an empty HF frequency didn't get any swr or power readings initial thoughts turned to my balun being over tight and close to the house so ended up doing a complete rewire back to basic sloping style this didn't herald any results at first however upon looking at wattage output on my HF radio it was set to 0.5w🙄 the lowest wattage no wonder I wasn't getting any output after setting it to 5w everything went back to normal

Overall the experiment was a success although I've got to get a taller garden dropper and another hammer along with some extra rope hopefully that will happen this week coming

Lesson learnt don't change the wattage output on a HF radio to its lowest output when doing antenna work/testing

Having coffee and getting into gear. Animal chores in a bit, and getting husband comfortable and fed. Off to the festival with all the house guests....our kids, nephew and family, and sis. Pancake breakfast already started, but we'll leave in a few hours. Parade at 10:30. Then maybe husband might want to come for a few hrs. Quilt auction after lunch. Then home awhile. Fireworks and music tonight so we'll go back for that. I left everyone at about midnight still partying away, and went to bed, so I bet the dark sunglasses go on this morning.

Latest posts

Back