What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went and got a hair cut tonight. Shortest its been in 40 years, even when I got it cut for a job interview years ago. Wife said I almost look respectable. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£.

Loaded up the trash to make a dump run tomorrow.

Pick away LadyL. I'd think you wuz mad at me otherwise
I will share a quick weedeating story to help lift your spirits. So I did more weedeating last night when I returned home from work. Why didn't I get it all done the day before, you ask. (See I knew you were asking.) Well, my weedeater twine is a giant fluorescent knotted mass. This is what happens when a plastic eating puppy finds it and thinks it's "fun." šŸ˜‚ When it ran out on the machine, I had to begin using the knot. I pull as big of a chunk out of it as I can and wind that onto the spool. I use it until it is spent then I repeat the process. I have not taken the time to sit and deknot the mass which was an almost new package when he found it. So this evening when I go home, I will probably once again, pull as long of a string as I can & wind it onto the spool and do some more whacking of weeds and edging - not tons left to do. Then at some point I need to mow. I wouldn't want to do it all at once and be out of things to do you know. šŸ¤Ŗ

Just got in from weeding myself, but hand-weeding. Insert rant here about landscape cloth, rocks, and grass intrusion from the lawn. I hate landscape cloth so much.

Also pruned back a bunch of the bushes near the front door, deadheaded some spent flowers ā€¦ I meant to spend half an hour out there and spent an hour and a quarter. But it was good.

Shower time, allergy shot, and after that not sure. Will depend on how my heelā€™s doing. Verdict from the PT is ā€œinsertional Achilles tendinitisā€ ā€” which Iā€™ve had before and despise with the burning heat of a thousand flaming suns ā€¦

So you left me as the only long haired hippy type on here My ears have not seen sun in 50 years,

The wife of one of my friends who passed a couple of years ago cuts my hair twice a year and she says I hold her money too long HEHEHEH, at least when she cuts it you can tell I have a neck for a month or two.

I may post a picture later or sooner depends on the past transgression, the statute of limitations the wanted lists and The Boss' lifespans, I don't want to die in a home fire.
Iā€™m about due for one of those pre job interview hair cuts. My drivers license pic would tell the story though with my hair draping over my collar. When itā€™s long enough to touch my shoulders, itā€™s long and starts to curl. Then, job interview or not, it gets cut.

Guess Iā€™m just saying the men here with longish hair are in good companyā€¦ lol

I'm at the shop with the Rav4 I bought a few weeks ago. I'm getting a banging and crunching sound over bumps so I figure it's shocks/struts, bushings, or maybe sway bar links. The mechanic says he can't find anything wrong in the suspension - all those parts have been replaced recently before I bought it.

You gotta be kidding me. I mean, I'm not good with mechanical stuff, but it's not supposed to make a metal on metal sound when driving on a rutted road. The mechanic is taking it out for a second drive to see if he can replicate the noise. I think it's time for a different shop to look at it...

It's been a wild few days, although quiet in the house. LOL
I have continued to walk and walk dogs.
Worked at Church quite a bit for our 198th anniversary celebration. What a success! We were hoping for 100 to 130 or so folks. We had over 200 come! Parking lots were full, Church was full! I've never seen it like that. Didn't have quite enough seating set up for the potluck. It worked out as by the time the folks at the end of the line got to buffet line, the first ones were done eating. There was so much food, but we are Baptists.
In other news, I finally got my passport app sent off/ book and card.
My neighbor gave us a Powerdrive 1000 watt invertor.
I'm within 8 pounds of my goal weight-135.
And DH is doing well enough with his copd and other issues.

I'm glad that you didn't have to have surgery @Bacpacker !

OK, so a different mechanic drove my Rav4 and I rode along. We went on a road with lots of speed bumps and replicated the noise. So he put it back on the lift and found 2 things. For one, there was a bracket for the driveshaft that was really loose. That was probably some of the squeaky/creaky sound. But more importantly the struts appeared to be either installed poorly or are not quite right for the vehicle. The right front spring is rubbing the inside of the wheel well just a tiny bit, and that's probably part of the noise. But it's banging over bumps and the sound seems to be coming from high up under the hood. That indicates the mounts/bushings are bad. I'm betting whoever did the struts not long before I bought it, screwed it up. I've put almost 3k miles on it in 27 days and I'm betting the parts just failed. There goes a thousand bucks...šŸ¤¬

Just got back from Dr. This one is back doctor. Took X-Rays said bone on bone with 4 disc. Said MRI wouldn't be a problem to get now. But I had to pay a 180.00 in copays and past balances. The hip Dr. knew that I needed a MRI on back but BC/BS would not approve until I saw a spine Dr. Just got the bill for the hip injection under X-Ray the damn bill was 9000.00. My part 2750.00, this is why I hate doctors. I think I might renounce my citizenship, go to Mexico and then slip back into the U.S as an illegal alien. Free Healthcare.

It's been a wild few days, although quiet in the house. LOL
I have continued to walk and walk dogs.
Worked at Church quite a bit for our 198th anniversary celebration. What a success! We were hoping for 100 to 130 or so folks. We had over 200 come! Parking lots were full, Church was full! I've never seen it like that. Didn't have quite enough seating set up for the potluck. It worked out as by the time the folks at the end of the line got to buffet line, the first ones were done eating. There was so much food, but we are Baptists.
In other news, I finally got my passport app sent off/ book and card.
My neighbor gave us a Powerdrive 1000 watt invertor.
I'm within 8 pounds of my goal weight-135.
And DH is doing well enough with his copd and other issues.

I'm glad that you didn't have to have surgery @Bacpacker !
That is awesome. Maybe (I hope) folks are beginning to understand how much they are a needed resource within a community šŸ˜

Got up, worked out, did some work in the big garage, got cleaned up, went to the city, got dirty again, drove home. Soon I need to get back to work in the garage, but for right now I am just making sure the money I spend on internet is not wasted.
You spend $ on internet šŸ¤‘

I never do business on internet
I go buy in a real store

Edit:
With CASH $$$$

I stopped by the shop where my other vehicle has been since I hit a deer at the end of May and tried to get some answers. Finally I got hold of someone and they said my Tacoma is finally done but they are waiting on insurance for payment before they can release it back to me. They had to send it to an authorized Toyota dealer to get the radar/collision warning system to work. The Toyota dealer said the system was broken and they had to replace it. Well, no s*** it was broken, it is in the grille and the grille was smashed to pieces. Why the hell wasn't that replaced as part of the process instead of trying to put the old one back in? The body shop said that the insurance told them to do it. I'm at the point that I don't care, I just want my truck back. Hopefully I can go write the check for the deductible and get it back by Friday...

@Hooch heres a blue moon link

https://www.space.com/supermoon-blue-moon-2024-photos

Love the idea of sitting on a still lake, pool, pond or any body of water and soaking it.

But I like the cold air of the year coming up on a night like this, What about it @Bacpacker?

1724186639239.png

^^^ If I May :

Photographer J. David Ake captured August's full moon shining brightly above the U.S. Air Force Memorial spires in Arlington, Virginia, U.S.

1724189802443.png

Full moon shining above the U.S. Air Force Memorial, Arlington, Virginia, U.S. (Image credit: J. David Ake/Getty Images)

Photographer Mert Alper Dervis captured this pretty image of the Supermoon Blue Moon rising over Toronto, Canada.

1724189932126.png

Full moon from Toronto, Canada. (Image credit: Mert Alper Dervis/Anadolu via Getty Images)

1724189971198.png

August's full moon 2024 rising behind the Statue of Liberty, New York City, U.S. (Image credit: Gary Hershorn/Getty Images)

Just got back from Dr. This one is back doctor. Took X-Rays said bone on bone with 4 disc. Said MRI wouldn't be a problem to get now. But I had to pay a 180.00 in copays and past balances. The hip Dr. knew that I needed a MRI on back but BC/BS would not approve until I saw a spine Dr. Just got the bill for the hip injection under X-Ray the damn bill was 9000.00. My part 2750.00, this is why I hate doctors. I think I might renounce my citizenship, go to Mexico and then slip back into the U.S as an illegal alien. Free Healthcare.
I'm feeling for you, Peepaw. I hate healthcare, too. I am approved for 10 PT's now (took months), but they won't allow me an MRI. So I scheduled one for the 27th and I pay cash for it. Just under $900 if I pay cash, not credit. Each PT has me pay a $86 copay...so that would be $860 out of pocket. I need the MRI. PT hasn't helped at all. My hip injection bill (my part of it) was $275.
What a racket. And my lower back and hip have been killing me for months and months.

Just got home from the building supply store and the farm/ranch supply store. I bought the granddaughter a pair of cowgirl boots. She's been modeling them for us on the back porch.
It's been a long day and a long drive. It was over 90 degs down south, and 74 here at home. It's supposed to start cooling down to the low 60's for highs and 40's at night later in the week.
I think I'll wait until morning to unload the truck, I'm beat.

Tuesday August 20th 2024

I was bored from the minute I woke up šŸ¤£
Yup ..rain again all day just a little occasional break
The time I can push Dane Girl out for her business
She hates rain ...poor baby
As soon she is back in the house
I wait for her with a towel to wipe her back even if only few raindrops
I made her favorite peanut butter home made biscuits

Ate some eggrolls .. then a piece of cheese cake
Now..........
I sip very hot Earl Gray Black Tea with Cardamom and Honey ā˜ŗļø

Come on dance with me guys !!!!! :p Woohoo !!
Have a Great Nite when ever

Went to the dump, stopped by the court house so wife could get her new tag for the car, grocery store. I made it thru about 75% before I tuckered out and went back to the truck. After supper went and sat on the porch till it was so dark I couldnt see the garden
I pressed the like button but what I really meant was šŸ¤Ø. Donā€™t over do it! Also whatchyou talkinā€ ā€˜bout - itā€™s still light out.

I pressed the like button but what I really meant was šŸ¤Ø. Donā€™t over do it! Also whatchyou talkinā€ ā€˜bout - itā€™s still light out.
3 hour time difference might have a little to do with the light. I wasn't pushing it, walking slow, taking pauses at times. Dr wants me to walk as much as I feel like. I haven't done much of anything since I got home. today was time to get some steps in. I am taking it easy, wife is VERY EAGLE EYED about that

Woke up sweating like crazy. AC wasn't working. Checked to see if compressor was running and it wasn't. Reset it (turned it off, turned breaker off, breaker back on, then after waiting awhile turned AC to cool). It had gotten up to 89 inside and is now down to 81. Compressor is running but not cooling enough. After I'd been running back and forth outside, Mom was getting cranky with me and wanting food but wouldn't decide what she wanted to eat. Told me she didn't want anything hot but didn't want cereal or sandwich or anything cold. I finally told her I was going to sit under some fans and she could page me when she figured out what she wanted. She never did.

Got a text that her Rxs were ready at Walmart so got my brother to go with me. We got groceries and her RXs. Told my brother I was going to call her to see if she wanted something from McDonalds. He said "Or Subway". I call and she answered fast, said she'd been trying to call me. She wanted Subway. LOL.

Got home and unloaded groceries, put them away, dissected some rotisserie chickens, doused the living room with diatomaceous earth, and am currently lying down.

Been planning stuff for my friend's shed and talking to him about it. He found out that it would only be around $33 for a permit if he did the floating style on camo blocks instead of being hundreds or thousands of $ if he did it on concrete slab. Its going to be a sewing/craft room for his wife. I suggested having a sink so she can run water on herself if she gets burned with hot glue or the iron & she can put water in her steamer iron. She told him she wanted a big utility tub kind so she can dye fabric. I found a good one on amazon that I hope will stay in stock. he wants to change out the smaller door on the shed for a stronger one. I suggested a regular exterior door with a security door.

Currently resting a bit and will eventually fire up Sketchup to see if I can draw the shed.

I did get my Rav4 back this afternoon and the new struts definitely helped. It rides and drives much better and quieter. It still squeaks and rattles a bit but since it's 15 years old I'm not too worried about it. The thousand bucks the struts cost me, was supposed to be for a new stereo head unit and a receiver for my bike rack and cargo carrier. Guess that'll have to wait a while...

Latest posts

Back