What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husband found a dead chicken last night when he went to close the door on the coop, they go in at night. It's one of the new little hens and we have no idea what killed it. They are in a pasture and fencing all the way around.

Today we need to start getting ready for our trip this weekend. Of course this weekend it is supposed to rain in both places. Figures. We already moved the trip once because of the tropical storm , we are not moving it again

I'm off today, yay!! Heading outside to feed Buddy and water. Taking Bear to TSC for Buddy's feed. Got a list a mile (or two) long to do here! Upper 90's today, then cooler with rain chances for days!! Hubby is driving his elderly friend to a couple of doctor appointments so he won't have to work out in the heat!

Working only this morning. Taking Dad to the oral surgeon to have a tooth removed this afternoon. That will start my weekend off. Will come home and trim the weeds and edges in the yard in preparation for mowing the lawn tomorrow.

Also need to practice injections in the dummy arm. At some point I will have to stop by the pharmacy to demonstrate to the pharmacist that I can properly stick people with needles (and not just in the voodoo doll way). After she signs off on my assessment I take a cpr class then I'm officially certified in the State of New Jersey and nationally to administer vaccines. My bonus at work for doing this will be anywhere from $250 to $1000--it's dependent upon how many vaccines we administer. There is also an additional per hourly amount added to my normal rate. And there is potential for overtime.

Working only this morning. Taking Dad to the oral surgeon to have a tooth removed this afternoon. That will start my weekend off. Will come home and trim the weeds and edges in the yard in preparation for mowing the lawn tomorrow.

Also need to practice injections in the dummy arm. At some point I will have to stop by the pharmacy to demonstrate to the pharmacist that I can properly stick people with needles (and not just in the voodoo doll way). After she signs off on my assessment I take a cpr class then I'm officially certified in the State of New Jersey and nationally to administer vaccines. My bonus at work for doing this will be anywhere from $250 to $1000--it's dependent upon how many vaccines we administer. There is also an additional per hourly amount added to my normal rate. And there is potential for overtime.
Just a pointer, do not laugh maniacally when you give the injection, it disturbs the recipient. (Don't ask how I know) :p

Cancer free for 6 months! 🍾
That's great news!
Paid off the last student loan this morning.
That is wonderful news for your wallet!

Yesterday was stock up at Walmart and Aldi for the month. Cost more. Sigh

Already walked this morning and walked dogs.
Taking Aninja to vet for nail trim and then Bible study this evening (not taking Aninja) LOL
Lots of misc. jobs for today. Will see how far I get.

I saw what got the chicken! A large hawk of some kind, it came back to get the rest of it. There are no dogs in that pasture next to the chickens right now but am about to put one of them over there so he can bark at the birds. Also building a scarecrow , not sure that works but worth a try
It's hard to keep hawks away!! You did remind me of a story! My Mom and I once made a scarecrow to try to keep deer out of our garden. The deer beat it up and trampled it!! 😃

yall wait till i tell ya about my book story again i mentioned awhile ago....its not over yet....lol...ya wont believe it...be awhile yet before i can tell it accurately.
well the story concluded today...yall know i ordered two books from same place and it was shipped as two packages...waited and waited...about day 16 i sent an email saying....16 days and no books.....well about two days later customer support got back with me saying they were sorry and they would send me another copy of the one book but other book is now out of stock..so i replied in just a couple of hours that would be fine to just send me out the book and do a refund on other book as it was needed to make my set complete.....well about 3 days later i get a reply from them again..from a different customer service agent and they said book was sent out and heres tracking number and refund should be there in an hour or so....so in a few days afterwards all of a sudden my two original packages showed up in raliegh,n.c. in tracking and both on their way....so end result of this cluster blank i got my two original books about 27/28 days later....then i got refund and another copy of one book and it only took them 15 days(arrived today) to get book to me shipping exact same shipper and way...at this point i am done with them.

in the mean time i ordered a book from the great british book shop in u.k. and it got here my royal mail in 8 days....for $8 shipping...i think thats a great deal.

heck i have a book coming all way across country from california and it was in texas in less than two days..i often get items from callie in three days...that other place shipper just sucks.

Last edited:
Dishes are done.
Cabinets are cleaned off.
Air Fryer got scrubbed too.
Sipping coffee.
Reading forums catching up.
92* now.
you aint picking britches and shorts outya teeth today??....you alligator you....lol

@Amish Heart our dog does pretty good with hand signal combined with voice command. I hope you can get him to listen.
I started with feeding time. Made her sit when I put the food down, then repeated firmly the commands, sit, stay, no (if necessary). With hand signals. When I think it’s a good time, 5 seconds to start, I then would say release and give a hand signal. Then she can eat.
I use the commands “leave it” and “take it”. They are pretty obedient.

I use the commands “leave it” and “take it”. They are pretty obedient.
Dogs also recognize facial expressions!! Bear can be thinking about doing something stupid and I can give him "the look" and he'll change his intentions (works on men too😉)!! And I've learned that saying "NO" in the right tone can bring all creatures great and small to an abrupt halt!!😃

Theodore Ruxpin has been driving me nuts for 5 years now. He should have come with a manual, but NOOOOOO, I have to try try to reverse engineer his software. We have the basics, but I REALLY wish I knew what he knows. I think he might be smarter than I am. Kinda like being married :p

My whole day has already been documented in that other thread, but I had a sleepover, then did some cleaning, then had a brunch date with a teenage lady, did some shopping, sat in my car for awhile, got a key to her apartment and now I am just sitting here wasting time. We are eating in tonight then just hanging out. Not sure if I will be sleeping over again or not.

A quiet day got exciting this afternoon. A thunderstorm blew up from the south and took down a couple oaks across the road completely blocking the highway. It was raining hard (half inch in 20min) so I decided to wait for the rain to ease then use the big tractor to push the trees out of the road.

While I was waiting two work trucks arrived, both guys had chain saws. A minute later a crew cab showed up with loggers who got rained out south of here. 6 guys using 3 saws had the road clear in 10min, I didn’t even have to put my boots on. 🤣 Strange part, the one tree I’ve been expecting to fall didn’t, the curved one in the pic below. I don't know how its even standing.

Next I diced up a couple of the poke salad roots I got Tuesday and made a quart of tincture. Have enough root left to make another quart, maybe tomorrow. No plans but dinner and tv this evening.

20240829_163744a.jpg

Last edited:
On "GRIT" TV, "Dead Man's Walk" 3 Episodes ending at 11PM CT... Started a few minutes ago...!!!

Got everything done on the new coop today that I can get done, until the shingles and the wire mesh shows up. The shingles are supposed to be in tomorrow and the wire next week.
The wife and I took the new Python out and burned through a bow of .38 special and .357 magnum.
We're sitting out on the back deck enjoying the day. The dog found a mouse and killed it. He was walking around the yard with it for awhile.

I went for curbside pickup at Walmart and also went inside to grab some pulled pork sandwiches for Mom. Cleaned and refilled all the waterers. It's been raining and ceiling in kitchen is dripping again. Not sure if its from the AC or the rain bc it started around the same time that it got cold but the rain started the same time as well.

Our friend @ Sourdough reminded me that some of us are getting a little older, i am feeling it today.

I have discovered this afternoon that when a man’s tooth is pulled, it hurts exponentially worse than when a woman’s tooth gets pulled.
well what did you expect women were designed to have babies, men were designed to wreck stuff

I just saw my MRI results on the online portal, and I see the doc first thing in the morning. Arthritis stinks, and it says I have facet synovitis, which I had to look up. So still in pain. But I should drop 10 lbs and stop chewing nicorette and stop hauling things that weigh way too much. And take calcium.
Got caught up with the tomatoes, the peppers, for the day anyway. Hoping for rain tonight. Glad I finally got the upstairs bedrooms all straightened out.

I just saw my MRI results on the online portal, and I see the doc first thing in the morning. Arthritis stinks, and it says I have facet synovitis, which I had to look up. So still in pain. But I should drop 10 lbs and stop chewing nicorette and stop hauling things that weigh way too much. And take calcium.
Got caught up with the tomatoes, the peppers, for the day anyway. Hoping for rain tonight. Glad I finally got the upstairs bedrooms all straightened out.
Nicotine is a bitch to quit, booze is second.

And take calcium.
I never understood why they push calcium. Your bones are made up of 11-12 different minerals including calcium.
Maybe look into taking a mineral supplement instead?
I know celtic salt has all those minerals.

Its a gorgeous morning here; early mist (which was very pretty) has burned off and the sun is shining. Got tons done yesterday at the front of the house. Scalped a few buses, weeded the two beds and cut back plants and stuck them in paper bags to collect the seeds.
Washed back windows and scrubbed the steps. Cement gets green here quickly. I have tons of spiders webs on the house; which I don't mind but my three dogs shed alot, so when I step out all I see are clumps stuck to the house. They don't really brush off because the wall is stippled - just makes it worse; seriously thinking of dragging out the hoover and also shaving the mutts lol.
Think I might keep going with cutting back roses etc today; away for a few days next week to Belgium then straight back into study and work so might 'make hay' so to speak. One eye on next year and loving my almost black gladioli so splashed out on some bulbs for next year. Tulips, ranunculus and purple Aliums for some colour March to May. I've been offered two contracts this week, so spending some money on the outside, as we have a family gathering here next May.
Congratulations to @WVDragonlady - very happy for you, stay well.

Latest posts

Back